• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

tim.mbp

ZNaO55t.gif

Doesn't surprise me, Madrid played shit, should've went for the 2-0, didn't even try.

I've said a dozen times before, playing away, they prefer to sit their asses on 1-0, then it bites back.

I like this defeat sort of, just so it takes away any expectation I might have.

Coffinhal

Poor Zidane though, one more defeat and Florentino will hire the next man available

(Shouldn't have got Ramos out, the poor guy has been yelled at every second since the beginning of Thursday's game)

DBT85

Only issue I have with Ander is him holding his face like a prick. The foul is exactly what I'd expect every player to do in that situation.

NHale

Despite yesterday performance (which wasn't all that terrible btw but if Mane was there they would have lost 4-0 considering how exposed they played on the 2nd half), I guess you can finally say Mourinho found his base team at Manchester United.

Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo being better than average as center backs continue to shock me but they are definitely a solid partnership. Quite frankly I don't see how their biggest need is center back (Lindelof and Manolas rumors) right now. I see certain positions that definitely need replacements as a game like yesterday exposed them. Carrick is essential for them but while he can play against teams that don't press, he doesn't fit against the better teams. So that's one position that needs a replacement, but who's available in the Summer that is a great player at that position? I can't see any defensive midfielder that can replace what Carrick does for them on the market.

Then you have to consider Ibra is not getting younger and could drop off next year, so they need someone upfront as well. Martial makes me scratch my head because yesterday he should have been much more active but failed to grasp his opportunity (as he has done so many times this year). In my opinion Darmian played very well but when attacking he doesn't bring anything to the team because he doesn't have a left foot, he always brings the ball inside to cross (allowing the defender to recover) or pass the ball. Considering Luke Shaw seems to be on Mourinho doghouse, they need someone else (I still think Blind can do the job though).

So next year: DeGea; Valencia-Bailly-Rojo(Jones)-?; ?-Herrera-Pogba; Martial?-Mkhitaryan-Ibra; Bench: Darmian, Rojo(Jones), Blind, Mata, Winger to buy because Lingard isn't good, Carrick, Rashford; Fellaini

Audioboxer

Herrera's initial grab for the face is probably more instinctual than not. At least when he hit the deck he didn't double down and do 65 rolls in agony while pretending a baseball had just hit his face at 90mph.

I mean it wasn't this

tumblr_mr0dwgbCZw1sbukzao1_400.gif

The pull foul was as cynical as you could get though. I might be a bit biased towards him as personality wise off the pitch Herrera is pretty sound. Same on Twitter. He's quite like Mata, seems like a decent dude.

DBT85

The pull foul was as cynical as you could get though.

Oh absolutely. But as a player in that position you have to make that challenge to break up the attack and take the booking that comes with it, any half intelligent player would do the same because you can see we were exposed in that moment. At least he didn't scythe through him like Rojo would have done lol.

Audioboxer

Oh absolutely. But as a player in that position you have to make that challenge to break up the attack and take the booking that comes with it, any half intelligent player would do the same because you can see we were exposed in that moment. At least he didn't scythe through him like Rojo would have done lol.

I do still hate it, we all know how angry we can get when the opposition does it to us on a breakthrough. At least refs are meeting such cynical fouls with a card 100% of the time.

And aye, Rojo would 2 foot everyone LOL. I was part of a good debate with a mate the other day though about how Man Utd only have a few "tough men". As in your Roy Keane/Rio and Vidic/etc. Rooney used to be like this. You do need it from time to time, in part at least to tell the rest of the team when they're playing shit or not showing any passion.

It's a small part of why I think Rojo is turning around his career as a CB. No, we don't like seeing leg breaking challenges, but we need some aggression and passion in some of our players.

Syder

And aye, Rojo would 2 foot everyone LOL. I was part of a good debate with a mate the other day though about how Man Utd only have a few "tough men". As in your Roy Keane/Rio and Vidic/etc. Rooney used to be like this. You do need it from time to time, in part at least to tell the rest of the team when they're playing shit or not showing any passion.
This is why Arsenal will never win the title. Haven't had a hard man since Gilberto left.

The reliable Paul Joyce reporting that Liverpool might say "screw you" to Fifa and Cameroon and play Matip in Wednesdays FA Cup replay against Plymouth.

King_Moc

Banned
Absolute pisstake about Matip

Should be his choice if he wants to play for his country or not

The rules say you have to play when you're called up.

However no one complains when a player "retires" from international duty (which you're also not allowed to do).

Also, if he's not in the squad, what's even the issue now?

Syder

West Ham reject Marseille's improved bid
West Ham have rejected a second bid from Marseille for France forward Dimitri Payet. The improved offer from the Ligue 1 side - reported to be £1m higher than an initial £19m bid - was turned down by Hammers chairman David Sullivan. The chairman is said to be taking a tough stance and refusing to be bullied into a quick sale, with the club having no financial need to sell.
Manager Slaven Bilic says Payet, 29, no longer wants to play for the club.
Payet is not currently training with the first team and will continue to work with the under-23s. The Premier League club said they would prefer Payet to apologise to supporters and return to first-team training. Payet, who signed from Marseille for £10.7m in June 2015, excelled in his first season with the London club, scoring 12 goals and earning a nomination for the PFA Players' Player of the Year award. In February 2016 he signed a new contract to tie him to the Hammers until the summer of 2021.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The rules say you have to play when you're called up.

However no one complains when a player "retires" from international duty (which you're also not allowed to do).

Also, if he's not in the squad, what's even the issue now?

Oh, I assumed he had retired

Top Bottom