• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

A couple of more Chinese funny money stories out of Spain today. Tianjin is going to place Adrian Ramos with Granada (also Chinese owned) for six months after paying Dortmund €12M for him because of the change in how many foreigners they play. Similarly, Shanghai is sending Oscar Romero, a Paraguay national team player, to Alaves for 1.5 years since he can't play for them any more.

maxxpower

Haven't been on here for the longest time. What do you guys think about Pep's performance in English football thus far. Has he been exposed as a fraud?

Beefy

@danroan
Police update on allegations of child sex abuse in football: 1016 referrals, 526 potential victims, 184 potential suspects, 248 clubs

DBT85

Will be slightly sad to see Depay go, hoped he could be something special. When will that #7 return to a great player?

The press this morning are saying we're confident on Griezman but that Shaw is on his way out n the summer. That one I really would be sad to see.

Haven't been on here for the longest time. What do you guys think about Pep's performance in English football thus far. Has he been exposed as a fraud?

No, he's been exposed as not being infallible. Also a bit of a moody cunt in his interviews lol.

NHale

Will be slightly sad to see Depay go, hoped he could be something special. When will that #7 return to a great player?

The press this morning are saying we're confident on Griezman but that Shaw is on his way out n the summer. That one I really would be sad to see.

Spanish press is depressed today because apparently the today English rumors are true. They are saying that indeed Griezmann already discuss the terms of the deal with United: 12M€/year after tax. The transfer fee will be the release clause 100M€ and he wanted a guarantee that he would play as the number 7. So that might answer your question. There are reports in Spain that Saul is Man United choice to replace Carrick but Atletico doesn't want to sell him (unlike Griezmann where he had offers to leave this summer but Cerezo asked him for just 1 more year and guaranteed that he would be allowed to leave if the right offer was there).

The question now is how they will play him at United. They surely have to change the system to play Griezmann and Ibra up front. By the way, if you have the money to spend this a great signing.

Also apparently PSG is willing to sell DiMaria and Mourinho is interested in him. Martial would be sold if that happens.

My impression is that he is trying to adapt the squad to his tactics, not the other way around. Which is fine of course, if it succeeds. Otherwise you make your players look absolutely clueless. His back four is constantly being exposed by playing a high line and his offensive players aren't good enough at the pressing game.

His biggest error is probably letting Joe Hart go and replace him with Claudio Bravo, arguably one of the worst goalkeepers this season in the Premier League.

Audioboxer

Mourinho, don't fuck about with Shaw. Finding wingbacks/fullbacks, let alone attacking ones, is hard enough as it is. Guy has been injury plagued and did have to recover from a double break in his leg. One more season. If he's still huffing and wheezing as a man of his age after a year then yeah, maybe he's not got what it will take to play at this level. Offloading him just now though, Mou pls.

Look at Jones and he's had longer than Shaw in a United shirt.

Beefy

Mourinho, don't fuck about with Shaw. Finding wingbacks/fullbacks, let alone attacking ones, is hard enough as it is. Guy has been injury plagued and did have to recover from a double break in his leg. One more season. If he's still huffing and wheezing as a man of his age after a year then yeah, maybe he's not got what it will take to play at this level. Offloading him just now though, Mou pls.

Look at Jones and he's had longer than Shaw in a United shirt.

When Shaw left us I knew he would be most likely to fail. Not due to bis talent, but due what kind of guy he is. When he was with us we basically looked after him completely, he is very much a guy who can't cope mentally by himself. I am not saying he doesn't know what to do due to being spoiled, he is just not that clever sadly. It's why Shaw became fat at Utd, due to him getting depressed at not being around family, friends and a club that supports you through everything.

A part of me feels sorry for him, but then he is still loaded.

Audioboxer

When Shaw left us I knew he would be most likely to fail. Not due to bis talent, but due what kind of guy he is. When he was with us we basically looked after him completely, he is very much a guy who can't cope mentally by himself. I am not saying he doesn't know what to do due to being spoiled, he is not that clever sadly. It's wby Shaw became fat at Utd, due to him getting depressed at not being around family, friends and a club that supports you through everything.

A part of me feels sorry for him, but then he is still loaded.

Even with the "baby fat" Shaw complex, he can still run! I agree with what you're saying, but I do think one more season is fair.

Guy hasn't gone "Full Mephis Depay" yet. Once you go "Full Memphis Depay", there is no coming back. Young talent that cannot step up to the plate...

Audioboxer

Mourinho isn't that kind of manager though, he likes instant success.

True but you just don't mess around with defence. It's always an area where it can take more time and effort than the instant success of bagging a high scoring striker or attacking midfielder. Darmian is alright, but hardly a set the world on fire full back.

I enjoyed the rumour that Evra might come back and act as a tutor for Shaw. Evra is just a class guy so him alone would even be good.

Syder

Luke Shaw was looking like becoming a world beater until his injury. Errors in defence are always more obvious; if Rashford or Martial go missing for a game, no one cares. I think you have to give the kid as much time as Jones & Smalling were given.

Audioboxer

Luke Shaw was looking like becoming a world beater until his injury. Errors in defence are always more obvious; if Rashford or Martial go missing for a game, no one cares. I think you have to give the kid as much time as Jones & Smalling were given.

Rashford got hammered pretty hard for his defensive mistakes. I also think it's why Mou is hating on Martial. Unless you are Ronaldo you're going to have to defend in a Mou team. If you're Ronaldo you can just outscore every opponent that manages to get 1 or 2 against you (most of the time).

Spanish press is depressed today because apparently the today English rumors are true. They are saying that indeed Griezmann already discuss the terms of the deal with United: 12M€/year after tax. The transfer fee will be the release clause 100M€ and he wanted a guarantee that he would play as the number 7. So that might answer your question.

The stories on Griezmann in both Marca and AS are just that the English media says there is negotiation between Manchester and the player. No one is confirming anything beyond that.

Audioboxer

United fans be warned for the usual. 3~6 months of "its a done deal" by the papers, then the player signs for Real Madrid/PSG/Bayern, or if it is England, City/Chelsea.

Put it this way as well, unless Mou brings back Champions League football, transfers like this go from a small chance to zero chance.

Jarnet87

Shaw has been training again and there are reports that he could be set to return to the lineup soon. The League Cup and FA Cup games would be the perfect scenario.

Syder

Put it this way as well, unless Mou brings back Champions League football, transfers like this go from a small chance to zero chance.
You broke the British transfer record twice with Di María (£59m) & Pogba (£89m) without Champions League football. It doesn't matter that much.

DBT85

You broke the British transfer record twice with Di María (£59m) & Pogba (£89m) without Champions League football. It doesn't matter that much.

Financially no, we can spend like that with little issue. Whether he wants to come is another matter. Though the money and the prospect of playing with Pogba etc might be enough anyway.

I seriously doubt Di Maria would come back to England. If Griezmann comes the first player out IMO is Mata.

I would ope we wouldn;t be stupid enough to try and get him back even if he did want to.

I can see Mata on his way, probably Rooney too tbh if he gets the record before the summer.

Jarnet87

Looks like Depay is officially gone. We put in a buyback clause(not that we will use it) but I can't remember United using those in recent years. Mou teaching Woody the true art of the transfer.

A win's a win. Plymouth should have scored at least one though. Sturridge, Origi and Coutinho were disappointing. Lucas still puts in a good shift. Glad to see him get on the scoresheet.

Pachimari

Holy shit, that was some atrocious defending by our entire backline, especially Ramos and Varane wtf.

Beautiful goal by Marcelo, I love him.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Its amazing that stupid ass benzema still plays for real madrid and why cant we start with isco and james instead of Vasquez and asensio?cant wait for the day that we sack zidane

Beefy

Crikey. We've been a bit middling at centre back. Not sure 9mil is good or bad. Would welcome your view, Beefy!

Good player but has dipped more and more due to his age. He will have one or two moments were he loses his head and rushes into a tackle, but is generally a good defender. The biggest thing he has is how great he is as a leader, he will marshal your defence brilliantly.

Syder

Fonte apparently joining West Ham for £9m, medical tomorrow
Crikey. We've been a bit middling at centre back. Not sure 9mil is good or bad. Would welcome your view, Beefy!
£9m is a bit steep for a 33 year old but he's PL proven and he should combine well with Reid to solidify our defence and who knows, maybe some Chinese team will take him off our hands in a year's time for double the price.
e5YuU.gif

Top Bottom