• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Glad to see England brining the 'banter' last night. The longer I live in Ireland, the more and more attractive supporting the Ireland team becomes to me, won't be supporting a team followed by such scum

Yep, be the same fans who get shocked when they're arrested or kicked in for being cunts in Russia

acohrs

Yep, be the same fans who get shocked when they're arrested or kicked in for being cunts in Russia

the ultimate example of the boy who cried wolf, and then is surprised that nobody believes them. They probably don't start the violence, but hate speech is illegal and entices violence on them and they have no sympathy from me. Switched to supporting Ireland in the rugby, think I will start supporting Ireland in the football as well this Friday against Wales. Would rather support a team that respects other countries and enjoys being in international tournaments than one with racist fans and an unbelievably large sense of entitlement

the ultimate example of the boy who cried wolf, and then is surprised that nobody believes them. They probably don't start the violence, but hate speech is illegal and entices violence on them and they have no sympathy from me. Switched to supporting Ireland in the rugby, think I will start supporting Ireland in the football as well this Friday against Wales. Would rather support a team that respects other countries and enjoys being in international tournaments than one with racist fans and an unbelievably large sense of entitlement
None of us enjoy these cunts - not even their families, I'm sure - but I'm not going to stop supporting my country because of them.

UEFA and FIFA need to start treating these like this physical violence and identify and ban supporters who do this kind of stuff. Admittedly it wont happen because they were wholly inadequate at curbing the violence at Euro 2016.

Though, just so we don't jump on the specific countries are cunts as we tend to do, lets remind everyone of Euro 2016 violence:

England: Fought with Police, Russians
Russia: Fought a good few groups including Germans in Germany.
Ukraine: Fought with German fans.
Germany: Fought with Ukrainian fans.
France: Attacked Northern Irish fans unprovoked. PSG fans attacked Turkish supporters.
Spain: Fans wearing Neo-Nazi insignia robbed and attacked people before Turkey game.
Croatia: Stopped a match then fought Czech fans.
Albania: Fought Romanians.
Romania: Fought Albanians.

Russian fans were often reported as the worst but its kind of hard to tell when you just see a mass of bodies. These events tend to be shit-shows though and I think everyone is quite rightly worried about how Russia will handle this level of violence especially as Russian fans hardly have the best reputation.

Could only imagine if they tried to enforce not antagonizing slurs against other nations or peoples.

Irish fans and Northern Irish fans were all great though, as far as I recall. I think they even got a medal for being so lovely.

TimmmV

Glad to see English fans bringing the 'banter' last night. The longer I live in Ireland, the more and more attractive supporting the Ireland team becomes to me, won't be supporting a team followed by such scum

Edit: article on the 'banter' for further reading, really hope the FA act and find those fans and ban them otherwise they're just farcical, ban club fans from stadiums but if you're a national fan it's fair game.

http://www.football365.com/news/england-fans-why-the-banter-defence-doesnt-work

Same. I'm half German but have lived in England my whole life, stuff like this just makes me hate the England national team, and get a load of schadenfreude every time they get knocked out of something.

It's not even just with Germany either, I can remember the Croatian national anthem being booed 6-7 years ago, just because they had the cheek to beat England in Euro 2008 qualification

Syder

Glad to see English fans bringing the 'banter' last night. The longer I live in Ireland, the more and more attractive supporting the Ireland team becomes to me, won't be supporting a team followed by such scum

Edit: article on the 'banter' for further reading, really hope the FA act and find those fans and ban them otherwise they're just farcical, ban club fans from stadiums but if you're a national fan it's fair game.

http://www.football365.com/news/england-fans-why-the-banter-defence-doesnt-work
This is nothing new though. If anything, it's gotten better over the years.

Beefy

Still like how people generalize fans because of a group of morons.

Damn Irish rugby fans are scum....

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-fan-arrest-rome-machine-gun-3238621-Feb2017/

And their football fans racist:
https://twitter.com/BeWarmers/status/742325829343006721

Germans aren't any better with blackface etc and racist chanting

But that's be serious, every country has their bigots or people that can't handle their drink. That being said I hope they ban the people that sang the racist chant. Also booing a anthem is just fucking sad. The problem with some sports is it attracts the cavemen, who try to act hard infront of their mates. Football is by far the worst for this.

Yeah. Black players are still getting jeered in France and Spain and Italy on a weekly basis, but the English booed another country's national anthem the FUCKING ANIMALS!!!!!!!

I think a lot of our supporters are ignorant twats, but let's not pretend it's strictly an English thing.

acohrs

I thought it had gotten better in recent years but after euro 2016 and this, it seems like elements are creeping back in. The booing the national anthem is stupid but fine, the nazi salutes, WW2 chants and mimicking planes while singing them are what I can't stand though.

Good to see the FA are denouncing these fans though, hope they're all banned for life along with that brass band that just plays the great escape for 90 minutes

Zasa

Recommend watching the CONMEBOL WC qualifiers tonight if you can. By far the most intense & entertaining qualifiers imo.

Argentina vs Chile tonight, should be a cracker. As well as Uruguay vs Brazil, but the former are much closer in points & will be a huge 3 points up for grabs. Definitely give it a watch, South American matches rarely disappoint. Starts at 7:30pm ET.

Ostinatto

Come on Messi, do your thing again.

86DF04CCB.gif

untitled-100is3d.gif

350.gif

ColdPizza

Banned
Recommend watching the CONMEBOL WC qualifiers tonight if you can. By far the most intense & entertaining competition qualifiers imo.

Argentina vs Chile tonight, should be a cracker. As well as Uruguay vs Brazil, but the former are much closer in points & will be a huge 3 points. Definitely give it a watch, South American matches rarely disappoint. Starts at 7:30pm ET.

We outsource some dev work to a team in Uruguay and they told me about the game tonight so I'll probably watch to cheer them on.

Zasa

Alexis hits the crossbar with a FK :(

Vamos mierda

Edit: Chile have been utterly dominant this second half. Hopefully they knick in a goal here, it's been coming for a while.

Genuinely baffled as to how Bauza is still coaching this team, one of the worst NT coaches Argentina have had imo. Ugly football, don't create enough & it's not even a system that gets the best out of Messi. Roles are just a mess.

Jarnet87

Chris Smalling injuring Phil Jones and then injuring himself is pretty much the most Jones Smalling thing the pair could possibly do.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Honestly it was a 50/50 challenge, if Coleman didn't break his leg the tackle wouldn't have been regarded as being so bad

Pachimari

Oh man, I just now realized Real Madrid played against Liverpool in a veteran match the other day. Sad I missed it. I see Figo was playing. And Daniel Agger too.

Oh man, I just now realized Real Madrid played against Liverpool in a veteran match the other day. Sad I missed it. I see Figo was playing. And Daniel Agger too.

Watching Gerrard assisting Owen(even though he's a tit) takes me back to the early 2000s. Good stuff, great to see people like Seedorf, Figo, Fowler and McManaman having some fun.

DBT85

Honestly it was a 50/50 challenge, if Coleman didn't break his leg the tackle wouldn't have been regarded as being so bad

At that height it's an awful challenge. The problem that a lot of awful challenges are ignored purely because nobody got hurt.

longdi

Banned
Juve-GAF, is Dybala as good as Neymar? The guy seems like another Aguero/Tevez/Saviola, good goal getter and nothing else. Neymar at least gets you goals, assists, take on defenders, make freekicks.

Syder

Juve-GAF, is Dybala as good as Neymar? The guy seems like another Aguero/Tevez/Saviola, good goal getter and nothing else. Neymar at least gets you goals, assists, take on defenders, make freekicks.
Dybala is not on Neymar's level yet. Dybala is definitely in the Tevez mould of strong forward that plays deep and can hold off defenders, the sky is really the limit for him in that role.

Top Bottom