• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

Our closing ceremony was better
e5YuU.gif
Did you have two rainbows show up?

Next season should be exciting. Klopp's been talking all week about moving Coutinho into midfield next season, so we could potentially see a Hendo/Can, Lallana, Coutinho midfield with Mane, Firmino + another winger up top.

I love Henderson and Sturridge but they are fragile as hell. Honestly if Liverpool didn't have the injury crisis, lack of depth and depending so much on Mane problems, they would've been challenging till the very end.

It's time Klopp plugs those holes with quality instead of young players. Get Salah for LW, drop Coutinho to midfield 3, get Keita so we don't have to depend heavily on Henderson/Can being on form or uninjured, get Van Dijk to partner with Matip while having Lovren for bench and get Rodriguez for LB and bench Milner as a good utility player as he's getting older.

We need consistency, depth and the ability to break down bus parking teams.

Best wishes.

I love Henderson and Sturridge but they are fragile as hell. Honestly if Liverpool didn't have the injury crisis, lack of depth and depending so much on Mane problems, they would've been challenging till the very end.

It's time Klopp plugs those holes with quality instead of young players. Get Salah for LW, drop Coutinho to midfield 3, get Keita so we don't have to depend heavily on Henderson/Can being on form or uninjured, get Van Dijk to partner with Matip while having Lovren for bench and get Rodriguez for LB and bench Milner as a good utility player as he's getting older.

We need consistency, depth and the ability to break down bus parking teams.

Best wishes.

We really need a legit LB. Milner has done a pretty good job, but we've starting to see his limitations lately. Need more pace and attacking flair on that side(someone who isn't Alberto Moreno), Clyne is Mr. Reliable like usual on the other side.

TeddyBoy

We really need a legit LB. Milner has done a pretty good job, but we've starting to see his limitations lately. Need more pace and attacking flair on that side(someone who isn't Alberto Moreno), Clyne is Mr. Reliable like usual on the other side.

We're looking for another RB though so Klopp wants Clyne to be replaced.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Good win by Real. It seemed like Sevilla could come back in the game, but it didn't happen in the end.

Nacho has grown to be a great player. And Ronaldo is back to scoring in every game. Such a fantastic shot for his second goal.

Lucas and Asensio are good players but not consistent enough for Real in my opinion. They should be loaned out or sold this summer

Good win by Real. It seemed like Sevilla could come back in the game, but it didn't happen in the end.

Nacho has grown to be a great player. And Ronaldo is back to scoring in every game. Such a fantastic shot for his second goal.

Lucas and Asensio are good players but not consistent enough for Real in my opinion. They should be loaned out or sold this summer

Number one priority would be to offload Benzema, but that will seemingly never happen. He'll continue to waste countless chances then be forgiven when he gets in a good game or two.

Players like Asensio and Lucas should be kept as backup if they're not asking to leave. With the club's history of injuries, they're bound to find playing time.

Also, I will retain my previous prediction: I don't see Madrid winning the league. Two killer away games coming up. They're leaking too many opportunities / goals for their opponents, and eventually your luck runs out.

Zasa

If you are only counting for points i would agree. But the quality of play....i am not really sure though.^^ I mean Serie A also had tons of entertaining match every week. Hell, this week alone we already had quite a number of fun match.^^

Viola 3-2 Lazio
Atlanta 1-1 Milan
Neroverdi 2-1 Inter
Napoli 5-0 Torino

All is super entertaining match.^^

Now lets hope that Bianconeri can celebrate scudetto today.^^
I agree with you, there's really no 'best' league out there though, or most 'entertaining' league either for that matter. As much as PL fans love to claim their league is the 'best', it's all just subjective.

I will say I think the quality of football being played in Spain is still the best imo, & their European domination continues to prove that. Not to mention the wealth of great coaches coming from there, experimenting with new tactics, the way teams in the mid-table play (Celta Vigo), generation of great players, etc

Zasa

Sevilla's form fell off a cliff this second half of the season.
Yeah, from a top 8 team in Europe with the title up for grabs in Spain, to this. Shame that Sampaoli wants nothing else than to coach Messi, & was the clear front runner for the Barca job after Enrique's announcement...then he lost to Leicester in the CL & those rumors just evaporated. Shortly after, they'd continue playing a clearly inferior version of their football from the first half of the season.

It sucks because Sevilla were by far one of the most entertaining & progressive, attacking sides out there.

Milner has been a great false LWB for us as he often covers for Wijnaldum's mental breaks on the left midfield. He's been a very good player for us this season, but he will definitely get exposed next season if he keeps that up. He needs to be a utility player for us, and his best positioning is in the midfielder for sure.

I hope we get Salah as well. We need a LW Mane and Coutinho has proven today that if he continues this relatively great season he's had for us next year, Barcelona will come knocking on the door and we need to be ready unlike what happened with Suarez, Alonso, Gotze and Lewandowski.

Beefy

@SkyKaveh
Sky Italy: Inter Milan want Mauricio Pochettino to be their new manager. Direct approach could happen this week. Willing to pay £8.5m a year

@SkyKaveh
Sky Italy: Inter Milan want Mauricio Pochettino to be their new manager. Direct approach could happen this week. Willing to pay £8.5m a year

Mad money but he'd be more mad to go away I think. Then again, if Spurs are trophyless next season his stock will probably take a hit.

Syder

Mad money but he'd be more mad to go away I think. Then again, if Spurs are trophyless next season his stock will probably take a hit.
Spurs are at Wembley next season.

Also, if rumours are to be believed Inter promised to splash the cash in a major way in an effort to lure Conte. I imagine Poch will be advertised a similar proposition for the future.

Tubie

Madrid is 4 points away from the title.

I still wont get my hopes up. They always find a way to bottle it when it comes to the league, and both games we have left are away and with little rest in between.

Celta really fucked us with that game being postponed.

casiopao

Damn. Juventus fall asleep in Stadium Olimpico.

Buffon is to blame for the 2 goal there. Really surprising to see him slip those two goal that badly.

With this, our last 3 games had been DDL. Hope that we will able to quickly end the game next week here as i don't want Juventus to risk it till the last match as we will be putting fire on our own arse there with the pressure.T+T

Pachimari

Both of them have already been sold out and loaned out gaining experience. By no means should they leave again. Lucas has that work rate and drive that we need in this team, and he's done very well and he has gotten many minutes. He will have no trouble being back up. He's a great utility player. Asensio has shown his potential and has done really well too, and he has started to get important playing time. No need to loan him out, especially now that James is leaving. He'll get his minutes.

Also, I will retain my previous prediction: I don't see Madrid winning the league. Two killer away games coming up. They're leaking too many opportunities / goals for their opponents, and eventually your luck runs out.

Celta really fucked us with that game being postponed.
Celta is in poor form, there's nothing to worry about here. The toughest opponent will be Malaga, but I'm sure we'll get a point against them.

Keylor Navas also had a hell of a game in what could probably have been his last game at the Bernabeu. If we can't get either of De Gea or Thibaut Courtouis, I think I would be okay with keeping Keylor, but he have just been inconsistent since his injury.

If I read the Premier League Table correctly, West Bromwich reached the magic 40 point limit for safety after 26 games, and have since that taken 5 points from the following 10 games. #onvacation.

Kyoufu

If I read the Premier League Table correctly, West Bromwich reached the magic 40 point limit for safety after 26 games, and have since that taken 5 points from the following 10 games. #onvacation.

Haven't won a game since February I think and they're still 8th. The whole league is on vacation.

Audioboxer

Both of them have already been sold out and loaned out gaining experience. By no means should they leave again. Lucas has that work rate and drive that we need in this team, and he's done very well and he has gotten many minutes. He will have no trouble being back up. He's a great utility player. Asensio has shown his potential and has done really well too, and he has started to get important playing time. No need to loan him out, especially now that James is leaving. He'll get his minutes.

Celta is in poor form, there's nothing to worry about here. The toughest opponent will be Malaga, but I'm sure we'll get a point against them.

Keylor Navas also had a hell of a game in what could probably have been his last game at the Bernabeu. If we can't get either of De Gea or Thibaut Courtouis, I think I would be okay with keeping Keylor, but he have just been inconsistent since his injury.

Celta will still be hurt they didn't dump Man Utd out of the EL. Should be a walk in the park for Real.

ElyrionX

Decided to do work, glad I ditched the game. Knew it would be chucked.

Mou has 1 more transfer window to offload all the junk players and those just there to pick up salaries. We need multiple signings and multiple exits. I'll be annoyed if the summer is just chasing "big name shadows". Right now the squad players aren't good enough either. Martial also has 1 more season if Mou doesn't sell him. Terrible season for him. Lingard getting a new contract was a joke. He turns up 1 out of 10 games. I bet it was just because he's an English player and to keep Pogba happy.

Given the dice he's now rolled winning the EL and getting Champions League, successful season. Failing to win and no, the season is yet another bogey. It's that tight. Put it this way, if the players turn up for the final like they have in the league Ajax will be laughing.

Pretty much. If we win EL, it's an acceptable season. If not, it's a goddamn disaster.

Agreed on Lingard. Martial needs more time and we don't have that luxury now.

How sad it is that we can't even give a decent go at spoiling Spurs' party. That's two clubs in two seasons that have celebrated leaving their old stadium by beating our ass. What kind of a club have we turned into?

Dark Rider

Celta will still be hurt they didn't dump Man Utd out of the EL. Should be a walk in the park for Real.

Celta form have been shit for the last few months which helped MU greatly but the problem there for us now is that they payed the price for played below their level for a while they might sober up now and get back to form after that defeat to MU. They may want to bounce back on their game against us.

is it ok that I read your posts in Willie voice because of your avatar picture?

Audioboxer

Pretty much. If we win EL, it's an acceptable season. If not, it's a goddamn disaster.

Agreed on Lingard. Martial needs more time and we don't have that luxury now.

How sad it is that we can't even give a decent go at spoiling Spurs' party. That's two clubs in two seasons that have celebrated leaving their old stadium by beating our ass. What kind of a club have we turned into?

A team that has little-attacking creativity, or ability to score, apparently!

Celta form have been shit for the last few months which helped MU greatly but the problem there for us now is that they payed the price for played below their level for a while they might sober up now and get back to form after that defeat to MU. They may want to bounce back on their game against us.

is it ok that I read your posts in Willie voice because of your avatar picture?

Haha yeah, it's Willie ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6vDzf-wSbk

Used as a form of satire to display unrest at the UK political scene and Brexit. However, best not mix politics with Football GAF. The real serious business in here is posting funny gifs to antagonise rival fans

VgBuD6Y.gif

jhSoxhs.gif

yleB1A6.gif

zdBzR4Q.gif

Member when Man Utd were good?

Audioboxer

Theres an entire generation of kids that don't.

Most of the young ones probably know Ronaldo/Nani and co at least. It'll be The Class of 92 they might be iffy with.

Either way, losing Fergie, Gill and a lot of the other backroom staff pretty much gutted Man Utd.

One of those gifs aren't even Man Utd... :/

I know, the first two are just to shitpost. That remark is more about the last two. In the days of being able to score. Ronaldo is Ronaldo but the rest of the squad in his time were always decent. Except Anderson, Anderson was always shit.

Pachimari

Celta just really don't have much to play for at this point. They can't go down, and with a win they might go to 2 places up depending on Malaga and Valencia. I think they might just take it a bit easy and be done with the season. Maybe fight for the fans since it's at home, but I don't see us dropping points here.

Tubie

Celta just really don't have much to play for at this point. They can't go down, and with a win they might go to 2 places up depending on Malaga and Valencia. I think they might just take it a bit easy and be done with the season. Maybe fight for the fans since it's at home, but I don't see us dropping points here.

Every team takes their games against Madrid seriously, no matter the circumstances.

Cause for smaller teams, beating Madrid is like winning some sort of trophy in on itself (specially if it would deny Madrid a league).

Pachimari

Every team takes their games against Madrid seriously, no matter the circumstances.

Cause for smaller teams, beating Madrid is like winning some sort of trophy in on itself (specially if it would deny Madrid a league).
Oh yeah I forgot about that factor lol. If they can influence the end result in that way they'll surely look to do an upset.

Carbonox

Christian Atsu likely to be Newcastle's first Summer signing. I'm fine with him as a squad player. Did some good things for us last season on loan. Gouffran's likely to be offloaded so we're gonna be short on wingers.

Top Bottom