• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 |OT| Mou Money Mo Pogba

J Jizzle

Great weekend for us, hopefully we see some more investment in the squad this summer. Lack of ambition at the start of the season almost caught us out here.

Oh yeah I forgot about that factor lol. If they can influence the end result in that way they'll surely look to do an upset.

Exactly, now imagine that happening twice in a row in a week where you've already played a highly stressful game.

It just makes sense for them to fail. I can already see the passive aggressive headlines.

ElyrionX

Most of the young ones probably know Ronaldo/Nani and co at least. It'll be The Class of 92 they might be iffy with.

Either way, losing Fergie, Gill and a lot of the other backroom staff pretty much gutted Man Utd.

I know, the first two are just to shitpost. That remark is more about the last two. In the days of being able to score. Ronaldo is Ronaldo but the rest of the squad in his time were always decent. Except Anderson, Anderson was always shit.

I liked Anderson but he seriously did not come anywhere close to reaching the potential he was showing in his early days.

I've been thinking of the backroom staff thing recently. I mean, what kind of an idiot succeeds the greatest manager of all time and then proceed to tear down the entire organization of people that person had built up over the years through the many successes. Fucking hell.

LeleSocho

Banned
yleB1A6.gif

Man... when was the last time that Ronaldo did something even similar to this? 4-5 years or something?

TimmmV

I've been thinking of the backroom staff thing recently. I mean, what kind of an idiot succeeds the greatest manager of all time and then proceed to tear down the entire organization of people that person had built up over the years through the many successes. Fucking hell.

There is a logic behind a clean break from someone as integral to the running of a club like Ferguson was. In hindsight it was obviously a mistake, but I can see why Moyes wanted to do that

Audioboxer

I liked Anderson but he seriously did not come anywhere close to reaching the potential he was showing in his early days.

Gill going with Fergie put the club on recruitment suicide watch. Everyone knows how good Woodward has been since... WE'RE SIGNING RONALDO, RAMOS, BALE, ETC CAUSE £££. Sure, Ed.

I mean a lot of managers bring in their own staff, but David fucking Moyes coming in and thinking he would bring in "better" replacements? lol. Fergie and the board have to take a massive share of the blame for thinking he was the right man. No one was, in one sense, you can't replace Fergie, but Moyes? Just because he has Scottish blood didn't mean he would Super Saiyan and become Fergie 2.0.

In saying all of that Moyes should have turned the offer down. Look what he's done to his own career since leaving Everton.

Man... when was the last time that Ronaldo did something even similar to this? 4-5 years or something?

To be fair Ronaldo was amazing at United, one of our best players ever, but out of his 47 career hat-tricks, only ONE came at United. That is mind-blowing. He went on to become a God at Real.

To be fair Ronaldo was amazing at United, one of our best players ever, but out of his 47 career hat-tricks, only ONE came at United. That is mind-blowing. He went on to become a God at Real.

Smarter movement, positioning, and overall decision making (when he has a clear head), all coupled with an unprecedented ability to evolve his style of play around the tactics presented by his coach, and he's had a lot of coaches at Real, which I truly believe further forced him to improvise and improve himself.

He just became a goal scoring machine at real. Is it less sexy and showy? Sure, but my god is he amazing now.

Audioboxer

Smarter movement, positioning, and overall decision making (when he has a clear head), all coupled with an unprecedented ability to evolve his style of play around the tactics presented by his coach, and he's had a lot of coaches at Real, which I truly believe further forced him to improvise and improve himself.

He just became a goal scoring machine at real. Is it less sexy and showy? Sure, but my god is he amazing now.

The simplest of realities in football, goals are what count. Ronaldo at Real > Ronaldo at Man Utd. No one can argue otherwise.

Man Utd and mainly Fergie just deserve some credit for helping him through early adulthood and starting his development. That's arguably one of the greatest gifts Fergie and his staff gave football, an excellent focus on youth and development. Ronaldo had the talent regardless but I think it helped to be under Fergie in his early stages.

The Premier League did help curb some of his diving and antics as well and importantly pushed him to bulk up and focus on strength. Lots of strong players in the EPL. At times when foreign talent comes here the players end up getting bullied and pushed around like school children. The Spanish league is probably the best in the world for technical talent, but the EPL is up there for strength. Although, we're losing a bit of our reputation for strong and commanding players with more diving, drama-queens and erosion of the era of "mad" centre-backs and central midfielders.

Bring back the Keowns, Keanes, Adams, Vieiras, Vidics, Gerrards and so forth. Even Lampard and Terry in their days could boss about. Arsenal and United these days are on life support for leaders/commanding players. It's like a mash-up of Boy Bands meet footballers. Where's my 100k+ a week so I can show off my cars and sneakers on instagram and my pretty white Simon Cowell teeth lolz. At least the super rich at the likes of Barcelona and Real still turn up nearly every single week and put in passion and effort for their clubs. Such a lack of that in the EPL from so many players.

LeleSocho

Banned
So... 4-5 years ago? Nothing in that video compares with the fantasy in dribbling he had when he was at Man Utd...

Oh don't get me wrong i think Ronaldo is absolutely amazing and a hard work fanatic, changing your way of playing implies an outstanding dedication and the result he got are out of this world making him really a goal scoring machine but you know every once in a while at least in non important matches would be nice seeing him do the stuff he did when he was younger.

The stuff he did at United was often just showboating. What he does at Real on a per game basis is utter brilliance, its quick, deft, precise, fools players, beats opponents, opens up space and is actually useful. In that gif he is essentially just dancing about like a twat in the corner.

Kyoufu

Christian Atsu likely to be Newcastle's first Summer signing. I'm fine with him as a squad player. Did some good things for us last season on loan. Gouffran's likely to be offloaded so we're gonna be short on wingers.

Not a fan of Atsu tbh. He was mostly average in the Championship. :/

Pachimari

Exactly, now imagine that happening twice in a row in a week where you've already played a highly stressful game.

It just makes sense for them to fail. I can already see the passive aggressive headlines.
I don't see it like this. Our depth is our strongest strength this season and we have so many players in form and ready to step up for when it counts. I'm really not worried about Celta; we will win it. And then we can go on trying to win against Malaga, and if not, a draw will suffice. All the players, even our reserves knows what's at stake here. And they take it one game at a time. I have no doubt the players have their head in the game.

Audioboxer

Glad to hear Terry scored, but then he apparently gave away a goal? lol. Good ole John.

Still, you can't knock him, and every Man Utd fan should love him too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Zasa

I still can't believe Capoue went on that hot streak of an insane conversion rate early in the season. Many were convinced the guy was the real deal & that he'd end up with 10 goals & some more assists. Fun times.

That's a really odd photo, because it's clearly a professional shot. So someone has asked him to do that.

Is it an official photo for the club?

I mean, if the people asking him to do it are Chinese, who are we-probably most of us white westerners-to say it's racist or offensive?

Syder

It's caused huge offence in China though.

The club has since said they were meant to be "light-hearted" and "wacky"
e5YuU.gif

Just some good ol' casual racism.

Elchele

What does this have to do with Lavezzi making a racist gesture?

absolutely nothing. just a comment
but argentines don't really undestand racism. They are racist, but don't realize they are
not only to chinese people, or any particularly group. They are openly racist, because they don't realize they are being racists. They think is just normal banter.

Mascot

absolutely nothing. just a comment
but argentines don't really undestand racism. They are racist, but don't realize they are
not only to chinese people, or any particularly group. They are openly racist, because they don't realize they are being racists. They think is just normal banter.

Kind of like Britain up until the late 1980s.

Audioboxer

The new Man Utd away strip is meh. Some designs are best left in the past.

Liverpool's new home kit is my favourite so far. Arsenal's is quite nice as well. Then again, I like minimal designs. Man Utd's kits for the past few seasons have been shite. The supposed leaked home kit is fine as it's nice and clean. Tbh it's often the sponsor's logos that "ruin" kits these days. That Chevrolet logo is awful.

Top Bottom