• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT2| Fractured but Ox

Jarnet87

I hope Koeman didn't really believe that Rooney could be the one to score goals and be the main striker for Everton. Did they not attempt to throw big money at a striker this summer?

I hope Koeman didn't really believe that Rooney could be the one to score goals and be the main striker for Everton. Did they not attempt to throw big money at a striker this summer?

Seems like they figured they'd be able to get by with more scoring from the midfield?

But we are past due for Everton to cycle out of the top 10 for a season or 2.

faridmon

Koeman underestimated how tough the run of fixtures were AND was under the assumption, better players would instantly mean the team would play better. The team looked ok for maybe one or two halves of this season, but otherwise has been total shite.

They at least tried to compete yesterday, in the game vs Tottenham, they looked completely lost.

Also it has to be either Sigurdsson OR Rooney. DCL should play up front to stretch the defence. They should have played senior players over the newer players at the start of the season and allowed the new players to adapt. That's on Koeman.

The biggest issue is a striker. Let's see if Moshiri will dig deep and get one in January.

There is a few glaring prblems on and off the field which I think shoudl be rsolved before hoping to get the players play better football

- The Obvious one is a Striker. One that can score 20+ goals, make runs and disrupts the oppositions defends. We do not have one. Solution: Buy 1 in January. Break the record fee if you have to.

- No pace at all during the final 3rd. The players are just way too slow, not only moving the ball around but also making runs and their decisions making is just not there. Solution: Stop playing Rooney and Klassen Together, play wingers and stop making the formation very narrow.

- There are just too many player playing the same position. Too many No. 10s, 3 CB at the same time, too many defensive Midfielders for smaller more compact team, etc.
Solution: Again, stop playing Klassen and Rooney together. Play Wingers and Attacking midfielders. Stop pairing Scheneiderlin and Gana again, its not working so far. Drop Ashley for Holgate and keep Jagielka as a sweeper.

- Very narrow formation. We cannot penetrate teams like that. There is 0 urgency because players are lumped together on a small space and creating chances are difficult.
Solution: Stop with 3- 5- 1-1 or 5-3-2 formation. Its too defensive and negative and we are allowing teams to just have a go at the flank where is little protection.

- Building the team around Rooney. He is just too slow and unreliable, loses the ball easily and just flat useless. He is trying and working hard, but the system is not helping him at all. Either make him have free role behind fast wingers/strikers (Mirallas, Lookman, Sandro) or make him a striker and behind him supportive creative players (Siggurdsson, Davies, Barkley)

- The defense is leaking goals, defenders are short of confidence, don't have the full trust of each other and make silly mistake. Solution: Play with 2 regular CB, create a partnership and guarantee these 2 players the spot week in and week out. Preferable Jagielka and Holgate. Williams is awful at the moment.

Seems like they figured they'd be able to get by with more scoring from the midfield?

But we are past due for Everton to cycle out of the top 10 for a season or 2.

the lowest we will end up is 7th again. I think we might compete with Arsenal and Liverpool with 6th and 5th.

spidye

looks like Manuel Neuer won't be playing football anytime soon. at least not in this year.

allegedly, broken foot again. needs surgery

spidye

BREAKING: neymar unfollowed cavani on instagram

c2f.jpg

someone replace this with neymar and cavani

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand this "Neymar is a cunt" meme started in this thread. Because he took a free kick instead of Cavani and he almost scored and in exchange Cavani took a penalty that he missed and all while Neymar gives Cavani several decisive passes every game?

I don't understand this "Neymar is a cunt" meme started in this thread. Because he took a free kick instead of Cavani and he almost scored and in exchange Cavani took a penalty that he missed and all while Neymar gives Cavani several decisive passes every game?

It started after the Celtic game with the shirt swap stuff.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Mental statistic: Everton in the relegation zone with a squad that cost the same as Bayern Munich's

T-Rex.

Banned
Rio Ferdinand is to attempt to become a professional boxer, it can be revealed. The former Manchester United and England captain will confirm he is taking up the sport at what is being billed as a ”major news announcement" on Tuesday afternoon.
wtf lol

sammex

There is a few glaring prblems on and off the field which I think shoudl be rsolved before hoping to get the players play better football

- The Obvious one is a Striker. One that can score 20+ goals, make runs and disrupts the oppositions defends. We do not have one. Solution: Buy 1 in January. Break the record fee if you have to.

- No pace at all during the final 3rd. The players are just way too slow, not only moving the ball around but also making runs and their decisions making is just not there. Solution: Stop playing Rooney and Klassen Together, play wingers and stop making the formation very narrow.

- There are just too many player playing the same position. Too many No. 10s, 3 CB at the same time, too many defensive Midfielders for smaller more compact team, etc.
Solution: Again, stop playing Klassen and Rooney together. Play Wingers and Attacking midfielders. Stop pairing Scheneiderlin and Gana again, its not working so far. Drop Ashley for Holgate and keep Jagielka as a sweeper.

- Very narrow formation. We cannot penetrate teams like that. There is 0 urgency because players are lumped together on a small space and creating chances are difficult.
Solution: Stop with 3- 5- 1-1 or 5-3-2 formation. Its too defensive and negative and we are allowing teams to just have a go at the flank where is little protection.

- Building the team around Rooney. He is just too slow and unreliable, loses the ball easily and just flat useless. He is trying and working hard, but the system is not helping him at all. Either make him have free role behind fast wingers/strikers (Mirallas, Lookman, Sandro) or make him a striker and behind him supportive creative players (Siggurdsson, Davies, Barkley)

- The defense is leaking goals, defenders are short of confidence, don't have the full trust of each other and make silly mistake. Solution: Play with 2 regular CB, create a partnership and guarantee these 2 players the spot week in and week out. Preferable Jagielka and Holgate. Williams is awful at the moment.

the lowest we will end up is 7th again. I think we might compete with Arsenal and Liverpool with 6th and 5th.

Who is this 20+ goal a season striker available in January that will want to move to Everton?

Also good luck with that last bit.

Syder

Butwhy.png

Can't be money, and you'd think after the poor bloke losing his wife like that he'd keep his marbles in tact for the kids.
Maybe he doesn't want to sit around thinking about it and wants something to aim for.

Unfortunately, the only realistic aim for a 38 year old in pro boxing is CTE.

NHale

Who is this 20+ goal a season striker available in January that will want to move to Everton?

Also good luck with that last bit.

Yeah, no striker with a proven track record of scoring 20+ goals in top leagues is going to Everton if they are not fighting for European competitions in January.

Also no team overseas with a striker producing that kind of output are going to sell them in the Winter window, so they are stuck with the strikers that are a surplus to the current needs of their teams like Islam Slimani (terrible fit for Koeman's style). He would be a lot better than anyone Everton currently has.

I was shocked they basically didn't went after someone like Janssen on loan as a stop gap solution on deadline day. It was clear with Llorente going to Spurs they were going to get rid of him.

DKehoe

If he's going to do it then it will be a one off thing and the promoter will just bring in a can for him to beat.

Got a feeling that Rio Ferdinand boxing thing might be a bit overblown, like he'll end up doing a charity boxing match against Robbie Savage or something. Or at least I hope so.

sammex

Yeah, no striker with a proven track record of scoring 20+ goals in top leagues is going to Everton if they are not fighting for European competitions in January.

Also no team overseas with a striker producing that kind of output are going to sell them in the Winter window, so they are stuck with the strikers that are a surplus to the current needs of their teams like Islam Slimani (terrible fit for Koeman's style). He would be a lot better than anyone Everton currently has.

I was shocked they basically didn't went after someone like Janssen on loan as a stop gap solution on deadline day. It was clear with Llorente going to Spurs they were going to get rid of him.

Basically everyone would be in for 20+ premier league goal scorer, there's only about 5 in the league and Everton just sold one for 90mill. Only way they'd get one in Jan is taking a punt on someone from a lower league, or a young player stepping up and adapting quickly. Either way by January they'll be a long way off where they want to be.

If Crystal Palace is in the shit. Maybe Everton could try and get Benteke?

Dunno if they'd sell their best scorer and give up halfway through the season. Even Derby weren't confirmed relegated until March.

What's the United chant for Lukaku that has been flagged up by kick it out as being racist? Had a quick look online and couldn't find exactly what it is. The Park Ji-sung chant is the main United one I think of that is obviously racist, oh and all the scouser ones.

What's the United chant for Lukaku that has been flagged up by kick it out as being racist? Had a quick look online and couldn't find exactly what it is. The Park Ji-sung chant is the main United one I think of that is obviously racist, oh and all the scouser ones.

Something about him having a 24 inch penis. I never found the Park chant to be all that bad since dog eating is a real thing in South Korea. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat_consumption_in_South_Korea

edit: the chant

Romelu Lukaku,
he's our Belgian scoring genius,
with a 24 inch penis,
scoring all the goals,
bellend on his toes.

Top Bottom