• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread U 2013/14 |OT8| 3rd in a 2 team league

Manager

I think it doesn't rely on possession, our midfield seems to be completely bypassed by it, I didn't even notice Henderson until about the 70th minute. I think we aren't in control of our games either.

I think two CMs and one AM is the way Rodgers likes to play it, but Moses as the AM doesnt really work, there was a reason he started playing a lot better when he moved out wide a bit.

If you're gonna play one AM to handle all the passing to the strikers, you gotta have a giant magician there (smart, great passer). The two CMs behind must probable have insane brains to cover the midfield position wise.

Barry was too slow to cover all that ground, Yaya wasn't ready to put up the defensive shift. City kept being overrun, specially as the AM (Silva) didn't help out much defensively. Can see Moses doing similar.

But in the end, the wing backs have such an important function to both cover defense but also ship in great crosses and passes through the wings. City had Kolarov and Zabaleta, who are good but nowhere good enough. Gotta have speed, brains, crossing ability, passing, positioning, even shooting skills.

GorillaJu

Fuck it, copy-paste

Cissokho instantly strikes me as a player whose control is not good enough for him to make consistent use of his athleticism. If it takes him 2 seconds to get the ball under control and in a position where he can build up some speed, it'll be easily dealt with by any semi-competent winger/fullback.

Hopefully its rustiness from the injury, time will tell

Could be. After this kind of disappointing result I err on the side of pessimism. The worst thing is that it's another week before the next game. At least there's no break this time.

If you're gonna play one AM to handle all the passing to the strikers, you gotta have a giant magician there (smart, great passer). The two CMs behind must probable have insane brains to cover the midfield position wise.

Barry was too slow to cover all that ground, Yaya wasn't ready to put up the defensive shift. City kept being overrun, specially as the AM (Silva) didn't help out much defensively. Can see Moses doing similar.

But in the end, the wing backs have such an important function to both cover defense but also ship in great crosses and passes through the wings. City had Kolarov and Zabaleta, who are good but nowhere good enough. Gotta have speed, brains, crossing ability, passing, positioning, even shooting skills.

The key for Liverpool is that it gives us 3 players in midfield, with both Suarez and Sturridge up front and neither forced out wide. The major problem for us was in the middle. There was no creativity from anyone but Gerrard, until Alberto came on. Johnson was decent at times but not aggressive enough for me, when you're a wingback you need to be always on the attack, and he wasn't.

Walshy

Cissokho was so fucking bad...

I want a Shaw, Digne, or Neil Taylor type left back. Even Gibbs. Someone who busts his balls getting getting forward and back, uses the width of the pitch, and has a trick in him. Cissokho made a really great challenge here and there, but overall gave us nearly nothing. His low crosses, which I normally really like as a tactic, were so soft and slow they'd never even get passed his back.

3-5-2's strongest point is the danger you get from having two fullbacks that relentlessly attack since you have the security of three CBs.

I do think if we replace Moses with Alberto (Coutinho should be back next week but will probably not start coming off an injury), Suarez and Sturridge will get the ball in better positions more often.
I don't think we should judge Cissokho on just one game, I thought he was okay and is clearly a full back rather than a wing back. He's just getting back from injury and I thought in the last twenty minutes he played quite well. If anyone can get his Porto/Lyon form out of him it's Rodgers. He made Downing actually look like a footballer remember.

Anyways left back has always been are achilles heel. Just think we've tried everyone there from Insua to Konchesky to Enrique to the perpetually injured Fabio Aurelio. Shit, I even remember when Riise started to go shit there.

I agree on the Alberto bit. Was really impressive for the majority of the time he was on the field. I would like Allen and Lucas to partner each other in the midfield against West Brom. Play Alberto in front and see how we get on.

Mikro

Neo Member
All right I'll put it here again for any other Liverpool fans. Did Rodgers make a mistake by not taking a Centre back off quicker for a midfielder when it was 1-1, when you were pushing forward but looked light in midfield?

GorillaJu

I don't think we should judge Cissokho on just one game, I thought he was okay and is clearly a full back rather than a wing back. He's just getting back from injury and I thought in the last twenty minutes he played quite well. If anyone can get his Porto/Lyon form out of him it's Rodgers. He made Downing actually look like a footballer remember.

Anyways left back has always been are achilles heel. Just think we've tried everyone there from Insua to Konchesky to Enrique to the perpetually injured Fabio Aurelio. Shit, I even remember when Riise started to go shit there.

I agree on the Alberto bit. Was really impressive for the majority of the time he was on the field. I would like Allen and Lucas to partner each other in the midfield against West Brom. Play Alberto in front and see how we get on.

I don't want to risk playing Allen against WBA. If we should find ourselves ahead and have an opportunity to ease him back in, then I'd love to see him get some minutes. But I just don't trust him when it comes to dynamic, physical midfields like WBA.

GorillaJu

All right I'll put it here again for any other Liverpool fans. Did Rodgers make a mistake by not taking a Centre back off quicker for a midfielder when it was 1-1, when you were pushing forward but looked light in midfield?

Definitely. I think he wanted to give Moses, Sturridge and Suarez more time as that inverted triangle up front, but it just wasn't working. On paper, it's an obvious mistake, however.

Manager

The key for Liverpool is that it gives us 3 players in midfield, with both Suarez and Sturridge up front and neither forced out wide. The major problem for us was in the middle. There was no creativity from anyone but Gerrard, until Alberto came on. Johnson was decent at times but not aggressive enough for me, when you're a wingback you need to be always on the attack, and he wasn't.

City have a similar problem and solve it with playing 4-2-2-2, with Silva and Nasri on the wings instead of the middle. Obviously too early to see how it goes though. All I know is that they're constantly being overrun in the middle compared to Mancini's 4-5-1. On the other hand, Pellegrini's 4-2-2-2 score insane amount of goals.

Walshy

Yeah Moses seemed to track back quite a bit against Swansea which made me think that he would do quite well especially with the attacking performance he put in. Today he seemed like he couldn't be bothered for a large part of the game, I'm blaming the international break for most of the performances today though, they've only really had half a day at most to train for this game.

Strange what you said about Kolarov not adapting to wing back, I seriously thought it would be a position where he would excel. I thought Johnson was okay in the wing back role today as well.

Yeah I'd think so. People forget that Rodgers is only 40, he's got a lot of time to learn.

I don't like his substitutions that much this season anyhow or the fact he often plays the same team unchanged.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Arnie, Souza, bjaelke, Rodgers, teenage dad, rest of you kops.. what the fuck? why can't u beat Newcastle?

Wes

venison crêpe
A better title than most.

I'm enjoying Southampton's pressing game. Is this how they always play?

Hieberrr

TadkV.gif
FUCK YOU CHELSEA

Mastadon

Banned
We really should have made more of that opportunity. Pretty disappointing overall, but at least we salvaged the point.

sohois

Nah, Rodgers has always been cautious about changing his system and making subs, it was worth giving the 3-5-2 a bit of time to see how they would perform against 10 men. The bigger problem was the poor performances of the players, not that there were 3 CBs.

bud

3mtA1Fo.png

after all these years, this shit is still too big and is still practically in the centre of the screen. why don't they ever fix it? why don't they ever make it smaller and move it to the top left corner?

this is so frustrating.

New thread, new rangers, 2-0 down against brechin, the fuck happened. Can't find a stream either, I'm just sitting here hungover as fuck staring at my twitter feed.

Tc91

Wish I had a HD stream I could put full screen and chillax instead of watching these shitty little box streams.

Hieberrr

3mtA1Fo.png

after all these years, this shit is still too big and is still practically in the centre of the screen. why don't they ever fix it? why don't they ever make it smaller and move it to the top left corner?

this is so frustrating.

It's because they use the same video for the SD feed. The sides get cut off to make it 4:3.

Top Bottom