• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes column on PS4, Xbox 720, Wii 2 (next-gen systems)

lol at 2018. Also I dont agree with Iwata, that consoles are a nuisance gamers put up with and pay for so they can play their games. I get excited about new consoles because games can have new features or capabilities.

Agent X

Here's an interesting quote from Iwata in that article:

"We are always preparing for the next hardware," Iwata says. "We are under development. … But the hardware is a kind of box that consumers reluctantly buy in order to play our games."

Atari founder Nolan Bushnell once said something very similar. I don't have the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of, "Nobody wants to buy hardware, they only want software. Hardware is just something you buy in order to use software."

camineet said:
Konix, Namco and Taito were almost newcomers to the console wars too, but their 16-bit systems were all canceled.

Amazing, I never knew Taito planned a home video game console!

The Konix Multisystem was a forerunner to the Atari Jaguar.

legend166

If Microsoft were smart, they would drop the entire 'Xbox' name.

It's got a bad rep in Japan, holds absolutely no pull in Europe, and is too highly associated with one group in the US.

Plus, it's just a horrible name.

legend166 said:

It's got a bad rep in Japan, holds absolutely no pull in Europe, and is too highly associated with one group in the US.

You may be right, but it's a perfect name for the demographic the original Xbox was aiming for: PC gamers and power-motivated console gamers in the 14 - 35 age bracket. Think about it: the name Xbox has a ring to it that makes you think "futuristic", "cutting edge" and "untapped power under the hood".

legend166 said:

dude, "Xbox" is probably one of the most commonly associated names when someone in the mainstream audience thinks of video games, and is surely the new "Nintendo" when it comes to generalizing all games under one name. microsoft will let just about any movie or tv show these days feature the old Xbox or new one and the name is all over. axing the brand name now would be a huge fuck-up on MS;s part,

kiUNiT

SSM25 said:
MS and Sony should release their next-gen machines next year, This generation sucks!!

It really does, I mean a $500.00 computer already kicks the fuck out of them. Last gen it took more than a couple of years and a couple of grand to show any difference.
Oh well I think MS will have something out by 2012 and Sony will be forced soon after with 4096p TVs around the corner and Nintendo will be on WiiThree with mind control by then.:lol

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
motion control will come standard for all new systems. I'd say 2011 or 2012 is a good estimate for the new systems. I'd also say a traditional controller will be included as well with the next Xbox or Playstation. I don't think either system wants to forget about the traditional style of games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
kiUNiT said:
It really does, I mean a $500.00 computer already kicks the fuck out of them. Last gen it took more than a couple of years and a couple of grand to show any difference.
Oh well I think MS will have something out by 2012 and Sony will be forced soon after with 4096p TVs around the corner and Nintendo will be on WiiThree with mind control by then.:lol

Oh really?! I don't believe.

Olaeh

disappeared said:
microsoft will let just about any movie or tv show these days feature the old Xbox or new one and the name is all over. axing the brand name now would be a huge fuck-up on MS;s part,

I've seen the 360 in the background on a commercial or two but I don't remember seeing it in many movies. I do remember Tony Stark had a Wii in IronMan though.

bdouble

Olaeh said:
I've seen the 360 in the background on a commercial or two but I don't remember seeing it in many movies. I do remember Tony Stark had a Wii in IronMan though.

360's were every where the year it was all alone. The shows I saw it in were heroes and Dirt. Now though the the Wii came in and stole all its movie and tv show roles. Its every where.

legend166

disappeared said:
dude, "Xbox" is probably one of the most commonly associated names when someone in the mainstream audience thinks of video games, and is surely the new "Nintendo" when it comes to generalizing all games under one name. microsoft will let just about any movie or tv show these days feature the old Xbox or new one and the name is all over. axing the brand name now would be a huge fuck-up on MS;s part,

Doesn't mean anything when it doesn't translate to sales.

Even then, what you're saying is US only. Microsoft need to start focusing more on other regions. ESPECIALLY Europe.

I mean, look at one of their major announcements at E3 - Netflix downloads. That's never even going to be available anywhere else.

camineet

Banned
Nintendo, as you might expect, is approaching things a bit differently. President Satoru Iwata freely admits the company is already working on the Wii's successor (something Microsoft's Shane Kim refuses to concede). However, he adds that he doesn't view the hardware as particularly interesting.

"We are always preparing for the next hardware," Iwata says. "We are under development. … But the hardware is a kind of box that consumers reluctantly buy in order to play our games."

Oh shit. Wii 2 = Three Wii ducktaped together, confirmed :lol :lol :lol

duk

Banned
maybe this gen what the makers will do is continue to evolve the system functionality wise to prolong the life... i hope next gen doesn't hit til 2012 or later.

Troidal

The only next-gen that I'd consider if it comes out in 2010/11 is Wii2. Not bashing or anything, it just needs to go HD.

This gen is a huge investment so seeing another console in 2 years time and I'd be inclined to temporarily retire from gaming for the 3rd f*cking time.

disappeared said:

Nintendo has had no problem basically killing off the Game Boy brand, which is the most successful name in the history of video game platforms, and replacing it with the Nintendo DS.

If Nintendo can get away with killing off Game Boy, then Microsoft shouldn't have any problems erasing the Xbox name from existence as long as they get the marketing right. (And, by the way, their next system should NOT have "720" in it; it just sounds so ridiculous.)

Dirtbag

GaryD said:
Xbox 1080 for Xmas 2010

You are crazy if you think they are releasing a new console in 2 years and a few months from now.

If I had to place bets it will be in 2011 / 12.
With 2011, MS will still probably beat ps4 to market by a year or 2, shit maybe even 3.

The next system I think we are going to hear about is DS2. And I'd guess we'd hear something about it by next e3.

zoku88 said:
I hope we don't see next-gen systems for a long time. This gen started SOOO slowly.
This to (longer development cycles) is another reason I believe these are going to be 6+ year console cycles

Rpgmonkey

I'm going to go with 2011-2012 as well.

Hopefully next-gen isn't as weird when it comes to how the systems are manufactured/sold.

GamerGeorge said:
Nintendo has had no problem basically killing off the Game Boy brand, which is the most successful name in the history of video game platforms, and replacing it with the Nintendo DS.
True, except that Nintendo didn't just kill off the Gameboy brand one day and introduced the DS. The Gameboy had gone through several iterations, and was a household name for more than a decade before the DS arrived. Plus, the DS brand was originally supposed to stand separately from the GB brand, back when Nintendo touted it's "Three Pillars" support. DS's immense popularity with it's Touch Generations software, as well as a slew of good core titles is what eventually pushed the GBA out.

As for MS, I wouldn't expect to see them abandoning the Xbox brand unless they try and follow Nintendo's lead, and venture into blue ocean territory, but all of that is going to depend on how profitable a venture the 360 is this generation.

Of course, this is all from my humble, layman's perspective.

DS2: Announced E3 2009, released late 2009/early 2010

PSP2: Announced E3 2009, released early 2010

Wii2: Announced E3 2010, released early 2011

PS4: Announced E3 2011, released 2012

Xbox 3: Announced E3 2010, released early 2011 or late 2011 (Only if there's a problem in development, they'll really push for a similar launch timeframe to Wii 2)

Those are my predictions anyway, MS said they wanted to be first out of the gate next gen and if the Motion + really was announced as a counter measure move against a possible 360/PS3 Waggle controller, then Nintendo might want to get their next console out early in order to avoid a possible situation where MS's next machine would copy the Wii in every way and improve on it.

DS hardware is already ancient and support is dwindling down, it's going into it's last full year of support IMO and Sony will probably copy the DS's design for the PSP2 so there's the whole issue of having their hand forced. Sony will be slow out of the gate with the PS3 though I reckon.

thrasher

Banned
For me, the most interesting thing about the next generation will be how much will Microsoft and Sony cater to casual vs. hardcore gamers

While every developer has its preferences, they ultimately tend to be hardware agnostic--and will support whoever wins out. The general hope, though, is that the consoles end up using a shared architecture.

"The worst case is, Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all pick a different interface," says id Software's John Carmack. "That's because you have to program so differently for [the different architectures]. … If we end up with a diverse set of GPUs [graphics processing units], it would make life difficult."

How much chance do you think this has? No chance in hell or?

cedric69

Nuclear Muffin said:
Those are my predictions anyway, MS said they wanted to be first out of the gate next gen and if the Motion + really was announced as a counter measure move against a possible 360/PS3 Waggle controller, then Nintendo might want to get their next console out early in order to avoid a possible situation where MS's next machine would copy the Wii in every way and improve on it.
The kind of success Nintendo is enjoying is so not depending solely on waggle.
mckmas8808 said:
Oh really?! I don't believe.
Well, a $500 PC this Xmas was able to kick consoles butts on CoD4, as an example.
Since that is true, I would say that, given quality development, yes: a $500 PC is now readily able to kick consoles asses.
And I agree that the feeling is that this happened faster than in previous gens.

cedric69 said:
The kind of success Nintendo is enjoying is so not depending solely on waggle.Well, a $500 PC this Xmas was able to kick consoles butts on CoD4, as an example.
Since that is true, I would say that, given quality development, yes: a $500 PC is now readily able to kick consoles asses.
And I agree that the feeling is that this happened faster than in previous gens.
Call Of Duty 4, Bioshock, and Oblivion are the only three titles I own that are also available on the 360 - don't get me wrong, the 360 is an awesome machine, but there's just no way you that the 360 can compete with the clarity afforded by the pc.

Oblivion in particular isn't even close. Oblivion looks so much better on the PC that it's almost like night and day.

Keru_Shiri said:
As for MS, I wouldn't expect to see them abandoning the Xbox brand unless they try and follow Nintendo's lead, and venture into blue ocean territory, but all of that is going to depend on how profitable a venture the 360 is this generation.

I wouldn't expect Microsoft to go after Nintendo's position in the market because the sole reason Microsoft entered the console business in the first place was to try and stop Sony from taking complete control of the "all important" home entertainment market. Microsoft is doing a good job in that regard, severely slowing Sony down (although Sony themselves have done some rather stupid things as well to help), but for now, Microsoft and Nintendo are not direct competitors.

That could change in the next generation, though, if Nintendo suddenly decides to go after Microsoft and Sony directly.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
camineet said:
Oh shit. Wii 2 = Three Wii ducktaped together, confirmed :lol :lol :lol

I actually wouldn't mind that. :lol

Just put 10 GB on board and ditch friend codes and it would be like teh perfekt console.

Edit- Well not perfect, but I'm being conservative with what I hope Nintendo does. :lol

Dirtbag 504 said:
You are crazy if you think they are releasing a new console in 2 years and a few months from now.

If I had to place bets it will be in 2011 / 12.
With 2011, MS will still probably beat ps4 to market by a year or 2, shit maybe even 3.

The next system I think we are going to hear about is DS2. And I'd guess we'd hear something about it by next e3.

This to (longer development cycles) is another reason I believe these are going to be 6+ year console cycles
The 360 is already three years old waiting five more years is crazy. That's eight years!

Eccocid

MEh...by the time it is 2010-2015 i bet new HD resolutions will pop up (they are testing ultra HD in japan). And consoles will lag behind it again just like this generation.

HD brodacast and tvs are very progressive. Releasing a console with narrow HD resolutions is a mistake. Who knows when will they start to sell 2160p TVs..

Neo C.

Eccocid said:
HD brodacast and tvs are very progressive. Releasing a console with narrow HD resolutions is a mistake. Who knows when will they start to sell 2160p TVs..
I can't wait to watch 480i content on 2160p TVs. :)

avaya

Eccocid said:
MEh...by the time it is 2010-2015 i bet new HD resolutions will pop up (they are testing ultra HD in japan). And consoles will lag behind it again just like this generation.

There isn't enough multiplexer space to do 1080p for HD broadcast. The highest quality HD broadcasting in the world is from the BBC and that is ~20-25Mbps MPEG-4 @ 1080i.

You also will not be able to see the difference between 1080p and 2160p on TV sizes below 60".

2160p is pointless. It may happen sooner or later but not for another 10yrs.

Next move is colour based, not resolution.

Station42

i hope pos-con consoles support Stereoscopic 3D Video out of the box.

(pos-con = post contemporary, I know it's genius you can use it, remember I used it first though)

[Nintex]

I'm expecting the first next-gen machine by 2010.
Someone will launch early like always to try and beat the competition. It's either Microsoft or Nintendo. The Xbox 360 sales are already slowing down, not to mention the fact that MS now has Square-Enix, Capcom, Epic and other developers to support them early on.

Nintendo might want to push the competitors out of the market. The perfect way to do this is to lower the price of the Wii to $99 in 2010 to cover the budget market and to launch a new high-end console for $249/$299 which is slightly more powerfull than the Xbox 360/PS3 has a new "innovation" but games will look better than their Xbox 360/PS3 counterparts since Nintendo will be able to use the newest GPU features and shaders. The competition won't expect them to launch early. It's the "market disruption" all over again.

kiUNiT

avaya said:
There isn't enough multiplexer space to do 1080p for HD broadcast. The highest quality HD broadcasting in the world is from the BBC and that is ~20-25Mbps MPEG-4 @ 1080i.

You also will not be able to see the difference between 1080p and 2160p on TV sizes below 60".

2160p is pointless. It may happen sooner or later but not for another 10yrs.

Next move is colour based, not resolution.

Then why are PC 26" lcd's 2500x1600 already?

Top Bottom