• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes column on PS4, Xbox 720, Wii 2 (next-gen systems)

datruth29

I just can't see Nintendo only doing a hardware upgrade on their next system. Wii 2 isn't just going to be graphics. The way they are going now, it's about the experience, particular the user experience in terms of the interface (controller). I expect to see something that furthers that philosophy similar to the way the wiimote has done in the present.

pgtl_10

duk said:
xbox 720 will be announced 2011 and arrive 2012-2013.

PS4 will be announced 2011 and come 2013 (prob 2014 in EU) :D

Wii HD will be announced 2010 and come 2012.

Nintendo is never the first to release a system and Wii is too much of a success for Nintendo to just drop it.

pn18

Banned
Xbox succesor (The name "neXt" actually might be a good guess): Will be announced at GDC 2009, shown to the public in mid 2010 and released in the holiday season of 2010. Kids, 2011 and later would be too late to take a slice of the casual gamer market.

However, we'll see
  • a motion sensor controller. No doubt about that.
  • a hardware which is about as powerful as the 360, but a lot cooler; GPU/CPU by AMD. First console to use hardly modified Computer/Notebook hardware instead of uniquely designed hardware.
  • more casual stuff, but don't expect Nintendo-like WiiWhatever games. They'll try to appeal to casual gamers with family friendly games like Viva Pinata, Banjo, Lips, Endemol's game shows and PopCap games. Hell, they might even buy PopCap no matter what to get their games exclusively.
  • better integration of Windows and other devices to become "the hub of you digital life". Gaf will call this "BS" because it lacks an optical drive:
  • Microsoft to fully focus on digital distribution this time. Kiss your optical drive goodbye! You'll be able to download a game via Xbox Live or to go to a shop nearby and download the game on your external hard drive from a hub. Instead of having hundreds of games, shops will have 2-5 hubs (depending on the size of the shop), where you can browse the game library, watch the latest trailers and so on. Shop owners will make money by renting shop space to Microsoft.
  • a glossy white and small console. Not as small as Wii or the slim version of the PS2, but about the half the size of the 360. Very minimalistic design and they'll probably go away from that "Xbox green" color to a more reddish one. No, seriously. Something like orange.
  • a $299 price-point. One SKU. Yes. One.

Ok "Experts", it's your turn. If you think I'm terrible wrong with this list (and I'm sure most of you do), let me hear your predictions.

pn18 said:
Ok "Experts", it's your turn. If you think I'm terrible wrong with this list (and I'm sure most of you do), let me hear your predictions.

All right.

Full digital distribution? Microsoft would never do something like that for their next console. Discs are here to stay for at least the next generation. I would wager that all games for the NeXtbox would be on Blu-Ray disc format. They might offer DD as an alternative to buying a hard copy though.

Also, $299? Not going to happen. Even if it's on modular hardware (which, knowing Microsoft, it will not be), it will cost at least $399. There will be different overpriced HDD's, the 240GB, the 320GB and the 500GB.

Control scheme? I'd like to see some kind of power glove, but they might introduce a break-apart controller instead. Think Wiimote, but times two for each hand. Don't expect something revolutionary.

Troidal

Actually, this got me thinking. What if a 4th player comes on board (Apple, or maybe something like Steam-box? Ooooh.). I wouldn't be surprised if that happened before either 3 companies announce their next machine.

stewacide

Troidal said:
Actually, this got me thinking. What if a 4th player comes on board (Apple, or maybe something like Steam-box? Ooooh.). I wouldn't be surprised if that happened before either 3 companies announce their next machine.

If, say, Apple got in (HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it, but still) there's no way MS could get out.

OmniGamer

I'm all for having a longer cycle this generation...it just makes sense for all parties involved: hardware makers, software makers, and consumers. None of the systems have hit mass market prices($199 and below)...the 360 is almost 3 years old and is just now knocking at last generation's top entry price, $299, via the marked down 20GB SKU(and this isn't permanent is it? it's just while it's being phased out while the new 60GB is $349 as far as i know). HDTVs still aren't widespread yet, not even among all of the tech-savvy crowd. The economy is in the shitter as well.

Dev costs and dev cycles are crazy...do you really want/expect the major companies to only put out 1 or 2 entries of their main series, which cost tens of millions to develop...sell to a small under-realized userbase, and then just shitcan all of those assets and all of that time learning these systems, dump more money to developing new, bigger, longer games on even more expensive systems, with even more complex hardware and sell to an even smaller userbase just a couple of years from now? It's even more dismal if you expect companies to invest in new unproven IPs.

It's amazing how short sighted some people can be by sticking their fingers in their ears going "la la la la la i can't hear you" because they want to scratch their graphic whore itch every 4-5 years in spite of the realities of the situation. The "MORE MORE MORE" business model is NOT sustainable.

Cheerilee

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25710005/page/2/

Q. How long of a lifespan do you see for the Wii?

A. In looking at video games, and obviously, it’s been a short history, I’ve seen patterns where you have more refinements as you go from one system to the next, followed by big evolutions, or big changes. And example would be going from the NES to the Super NES was more of a refinement, and going from the Super NES to the Nintendo 64 was more of a big advancement.

So, looking at the recent history, I’d say that the DS and Wii together represent some of those very big changes, both on the handheld and the home console side. Based on past history, I would guess that we would see some refinement sometime in the next five to 10 years and then in another five to 10 years, you would see probably the next big evolution.
Miyamoto expects the Wii2 to appear sometime in the 2013-2018 range, and it'll probably just be a graphical upgrade.

Personally, I think that's absurd. Wii is graphically deficient. It's not supposed to have 12-year legs. Standard definition is supposed to die in 2009! In 2017, are we expected to still be covering for Nintendo, saying "nah, the time isn't right for HD, maybe next year"?

I think that as core gamers, Nintendo owes us a graphical upgrade (luls, as if they care), and they should just "slip it out" not as an entirely new console, but as a routine upgrade to their already successful line. Sort of like the GameBoy Color. That way they can keep their momentum going indefinitely, and not crash and burn for another few generations when the party ends in 2018 or sooner.

I don't know when next-gen consoles will launch (though I'd wager 2012) but I'd be surprised if Sony isn't still a technical lead in console hardware.

The Wii is successful because of its interface. To think consumers wouldn't want a Wii with nicer looking games is naive, so I don't see the precedent set by Nintendo this gen to translate into underpowered hardware next gen. The only thing I think the Wii has proved is you need to capture the mind of the consumer and so I think we'll see all three manufacturers focusing heavily on the interface to their console.

With that said, Sony have struggled with price-point and profit with the PS3 because they invested heavily in new technology that was just ahead of its time at launch. There's no reason for the PS4 not to use Blu-Ray especially once drives support higher speeds and quad layer discs. There's no reason for the PS4 not to use a multi-cell CPU variant. And they may just be able to get a Cell based graphics card up and running like they wanted to for the PS3. Even if they can't they'll have to invest in a single truly new component for the console. R&D for the PS4 should be comparatively cheap and mass production should drive down the costs of its core components.

Why differentiate on just user interface when you can differentiate on user interface and visual appeal?

Xbox had four holiday seasons. Gamecube had five.

Don't expect more than a couple more than five. The only way it will go longer than that, in a generation with much more competition than last, will be if we have a global economic catastrophe.

This holiday is the fourth for the 360.

Cheerilee

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I agree. I wanted another revolution, not just the Wii with prettier graphics :(
That's probably too much to ask for. These things just come when they come. It might even be too much to expect Nintendo to keep being the one to deliver them.

But yeah, it sort of goes without saying that I would want a new revolution with any new console. But not at the cost of graphics. N64 didn't have to trade them. I doubt any shred of my love for Nintendo would survive if a Wii2 came out in 2013 with a new revolutionary something-or-the-other, but still had SD GameCube graphics.

Neo C.

stewacide said:
The thing that bothers me about this generation is that we're stuck with either inferior graphics (Wii) or inferior controls (360/PS3). It seems almost like a half-generation advancement in each case.
I think it has something to do with the "revolution-refinement"-cycle, which Miyamoto mentioned in the interview: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25710005/page/2/

That means: NES (revolution) - SNES (refinement) - N64 (revolution) - GCN (refinement) - Wii (revolution).
So there's the possibility that all consoles in the next generation are a bit more similar than in this gen, just like the generation before. Of course there isn't any guarantee that the competition won't lead to a new disruption, but I think waggle and pointing should have enough potential for the next 10 years.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I agree. I wanted another revolution, not just the Wii with prettier graphics :(
I'm pretty sure mind control won't be ready in five years. :p
I'm ok with an improved Wiimote in the next gen, though Nintendo surely will surprise us with some innovation.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Don't expect more than a couple more than five.

Why not? The article (and posters in the thread) spell out the economic factors that make a longer console generation much more likely this time around than in any previous cycle. Typically, console generations start to give hardware makers a fresh start and end when someone's initial investment is no longer able to produce any revenues for them. Because of their higher than normal price and slow pricedrop schedule, the HD systems are almost certainly going to be able to ride out the sales curve for longer than past also-ran systems, even if they never gain relative to the Wii.

avaya

pn18 said:

• a motion sensor controller. No doubt about that.
  • a hardware which is about as powerful as the 360, but a lot cooler; GPU/CPU by AMD. First console to use hardly modified Computer/Notebook hardware instead of uniquely designed hardware.
  • more casual stuff, but don't expect Nintendo-like WiiWhatever games. They'll try to appeal to casual gamers with family friendly games like Viva Pinata, Banjo, Lips, Endemol's game shows and PopCap games. Hell, they might even buy PopCap no matter what to get their games exclusively.
  • better integration of Windows and other devices to become "the hub of you digital life". Gaf will call this "BS" because it lacks an optical drive:
  • Microsoft to fully focus on digital distribution this time. Kiss your optical drive goodbye! You'll be able to download a game via Xbox Live or to go to a shop nearby and download the game on your external hard drive from a hub. Instead of having hundreds of games, shops will have 2-5 hubs (depending on the size of the shop), where you can browse the game library, watch the latest trailers and so on. Shop owners will make money by renting shop space to Microsoft.
  • a glossy white and small console. Not as small as Wii or the slim version of the PS2, but about the half the size of the 360. Very minimalistic design and they'll probably go away from that "Xbox green" color to a more reddish one. No, seriously. Something like orange.
  • a $299 price-point. One SKU. Yes. One.

:lol :lol :lol

Gokurakumaru said:
I don't know when next-gen consoles will launch (though I'd wager 2012) but I'd be surprised if Sony isn't still a technical lead in console hardware.

The Wii is successful because of its interface. To think consumers wouldn't want a Wii with nicer looking games is naive, so I don't see the precedent set by Nintendo this gen to translate into underpowered hardware next gen. The only thing I think the Wii has proved is you need to capture the mind of the consumer and so I think we'll see all three manufacturers focusing heavily on the interface to their console.

With that said, Sony have struggled with price-point and profit with the PS3 because they invested heavily in new technology that was just ahead of its time at launch. There's no reason for the PS4 not to use Blu-Ray especially once drives support higher speeds and quad layer discs. There's no reason for the PS4 not to use a multi-cell CPU variant. And they may just be able to get a Cell based graphics card up and running like they wanted to for the PS3. Even if they can't they'll have to invest in a single truly new component for the console. R&D for the PS4 should be comparatively cheap and mass production should drive down the costs of its core components.

Why differentiate on just user interface when you can differentiate on user interface and visual appeal?

thrasher

Banned
I think all next gen consoles will have Blu Ray drives.

Digital distribution of retail games will have to wait another generation. Brick & Mortar distributors aren't going to easily let game companies take away their cut and they have a LOT of influence over them.

amar212

Console business must expand worldwide on the much higher scale than now. Thus, emerging markets like Eastern Europe, ex-Soviet countries, Middle East, India, China and South America will come into commercial focus in years to come.

At this point, all those countries has rosen around 100% growth of their GDP in last few years, but of course - there is great road that all of them have to make in catching up the developed world in terms of incomes as they're now - and will not happpen so fast. However, I'll take my cuntry as a example - Croatia - where GDP has risen around 100% in last 6 years or so.

And here is the point of all above: digital distribution will have to wait significantly. The internet penetration in above markets is nowhere near the one in developed world, even in the countries with higher standard, as mine. And internet speed is also significant factor which will not catch up the standards for next-next-gen content size in those markets. MY personal example is that standard internet connection in Croatia is aorund 4Mb/512kb, while I'm very lucky with my FTTH optics in 2Mb/2Mb range which will become 5Mb/5Mb in few days. But, I'm in the 0,01% people who have access to such speeds.

And you can't be foolish to think that all players - especially MS and Sony - do not take those markets in their equations.

Next-next-gen optical drives confirmed, but with stronger emphasis on digital download.

Oh yeah, another "small" detail - games already have more than 30GB of data. With being certain that next-next-gen will be able to pull-off 1080p with no problem as a standard, I guess we can expect next-next-gen games to be in proximity of 60-80GB of data-size, without going into futher explanations. Downloading such a tramendous amount of data - with internet speeds in range of even unbeleivable 40Mb/s would take very serious amounts of time.

No way hose, at least not in next few years.

ElFly

I can see MS wanting to get their console out early again. It gave them an important advantage that will be drying out by 2010, as the PS3 catches up (let's not even say Wii).

Xmas 2012 tops for Xbox 720. If not 2011.

wazoo

Gokurakumaru said:
The only thing I think the Wii has proved is you need to capture the mind of the consumer and so I think we'll see all three manufacturers focusing heavily on the interface to their console.

The Wii has proved that having a clear simple message to consumer and stick to it helps marketing and sales. I think ps4 (and others) will try to have ONE great differentiating idea and not try to be the all in one with no focus console that MS/Sony tried to sell this gen.

Log4Girlz

The next Xbox should still mostly focus on the Hardcore user, its all that MS has. Nintendo was so successful to casuals because they have a huge back-log of recognizable characters everyone knows and loves. WTF is MS going to do, make a game with Master Chief playing carnival style games?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
disappeared said:
dude, "Xbox" is probably one of the most commonly associated names when someone in the mainstream audience thinks of video games, and is surely the new "Nintendo" when it comes to generalizing all games under one name. microsoft will let just about any movie or tv show these days feature the old Xbox or new one and the name is all over. axing the brand name now would be a huge fuck-up on MS;s part,

That holds some truth to it only in the US.
Like with Genesis US/Megadrive EU&JPN, they could go with Xbox for US and a new name for EU/JPN.

Uncle

Dash Kappei said:
Like with Genesis US/Megadrive EU&JPN, they could go with Xbox for US and a new name for EU/JPN.

That's not the same. Sega still had it's name attached to the consoles, MS doesn't. They would have to rebuild their brand from the ground up.

Woo-Fu

Banned
stewacide said:
The thing that bothers me about this generation is that we're stuck with either inferior graphics (Wii) or inferior controls (360/PS3).

:lol :lol :lol :lol Somebody drank the waggle kool-aid.

Seriously, guys, it's not just about getting an advantage in the next cycle. Launching a new console involves huge upfront losses that you aim to recoup as much as possible from the console as it ages. Shareholders are not going to like seeing new consoles so soon from MS and Sony when the previous consoles have made back so little money.

If this were last gen and those two consoles had little chance to recoup that value (due to unreduceable costs in Xbox's case and completely hemmorhaging all consumer and third-party support in the GameCube's) the choice would simply be to start a new gen or quit gaming entirely, but because of how high the price on PS3 and 360 still is, and the fact that both have moved into hardware profitability (and maintain effective software sales), there's no reason to rush to a new generation. Both can go four more years, dropping the price and continuing to sell software, and Microsoft can still pursue their strategy of launching first -- but since Sony would almost certainly prefer to push off their PS4 launch as long as possible, Microsoft can still wait a good number of years before doing it.

Threi

notag
Woo-Fu said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol Somebody drank the waggle kool-aid.
not to start up shit, but holding a wireless controller and pushing buttons really does feel bland compared to a split-controller that you can point at the screen with. Coupled with the fact that the Wii actually does offer two traditional solutions for games that require them (usually overlooked for some reason), i can see how someone can view the PS360 control scheme as "inferior".

This is all my personal opinion though.

avaya

Vinci said:
Yes, the 360 controller's pointer technology shits all over the Wii's.

Sorry but the response is strange.

Wiimote is only superior in certain types of games.

Racing games are rubbish with a Wiimote.

Football (FOOTBALL) games are rubbish with a Wiimote.

Tennis/golf games are fuck awesome on a Wiimote.

Shooters would be more fun on a Wiimote.

avaya said:
Shooters would be more fun on a Wiimote.

Shooters are more accurate on the Wiimote, but I would have rather played Metroid Prime 3 with a Gamecube controller. I haven't tried that one WW2 shooter that was supposed to have better control, but I found playing MP3 with the Wiimote tiring and annoying.

Vinci

Danish
avaya said:
Sorry but the response is strange.

My point was simple: Its 'pointer function,' something the other consoles don't feature at all, is superior to the others'. That is another way in which it's superior, and it's in fact the most notable and important way for most people here.

Jokeropia

Zero_Phoenix said:
Shooters are more accurate on the Wiimote, but I would have rather played Metroid Prime 3 with a Gamecube controller. I haven't tried that one WW2 shooter that was supposed to have better control, but I found playing MP3 with the Wiimote tiring and annoying.
Try resting your hand on your lap or a couch or something.
avaya said:
Racing games are rubbish with a Wiimote.
Why would they? If you don't like to use the controller as a steering wheel, you can just use it like a traditional controller. (With the Nunchuck.)
avaya said:
Football (FOOTBALL) games are rubbish with a Wiimote.
PES Wii says hell no.

bdouble

ruby_onix said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25710005/page/2/

Miyamoto expects the Wii2 to appear sometime in the 2013-2018 range, and it'll probably just be a graphical upgrade.
Nintendo will not just do a graphical upgrade. I mean they are already upgrading the Wiimote. Why would they stop now?

ruby_onix said:
Personally, I think that's absurd. Wii is graphically deficient. It's not supposed to have 12-year legs. Standard definition is supposed to die in 2009! In 2017, are we expected to still be covering for Nintendo, saying "nah, the time isn't right for HD, maybe next year"?

HD is not dieing out in 2009. Just analog broadcast. Penetration will definitely be high enough for Nintendo to release a 720p maybe 1080p outputting system by 2012. I'd say 2012 is a pretty good guess for them. Obviously graphics aren't hurting it now and if what we are all saying comes true the 360 and PS3 will still be out then as well.

ruby_onix said:
I think that as core gamers, Nintendo owes us a graphical upgrade (luls, as if they care), and they should just "slip it out" not as an entirely new console, but as a routine upgrade to their already successful line. Sort of like the GameBoy Color. That way they can keep their momentum going indefinitely, and not crash and burn for another few generations when the party ends in 2018 or sooner.

I think you are selfish and they don't care. I don't care and most people obviously don't. There are many "core" (god I hate using that) gamers buying the system and its games. Again they won't do that with the home console. Have you been reading their quotes? They want to revolutionize again. How? who knows its freaking Nintendo.

Zero_Phoenix said:

A tip for you. Sit back in a chair rest your wrist on your elevated knee and point the IR towards the screen. You don't have to hold your whole damn arm up.

Jokeropia said:
Try resting your hand on your lap or a couch or something.

Yea, I don't really have an optional positioning for playing a long aiming game like that. I also noticed how much I get little itches I need to scratch and other things that make me spin in place every 30 seconds. :lol

avaya

Vinci said:
My point was simple: Its 'pointer function,' something the other consoles

don't feature at all, is superior to the others'. That is another way in which it's superior, and it's in fact the most notable and important way for most people here.

Maybe the words are getting confused here but when I say waggle I include the pointer functionality.

I don't think that is the primary reason for it's immediate appeal though. I think that has to do with the fact that it looks like a remote and not some strange implement. This has been touched on before and it's a key point. If Sony and Microsoft go with non-remote style controllers they will fail in generating the same response as Wii.

I do get the feeling Sony and Microsoft will have to pack-in more than one controller for next generation. Break-aparts are a ridiculous idea. Sony should also think about an IR EyeToy as standard.

Jokeropia said:
Why would they? If you don't like to use the controller as a steering wheel, you can just use it like a traditional controller. (With the Nunchuck.)
PES Wii says hell no.

Sorry but any racer in which braking and cornering are not secondary thoughts is a joke with that controller. You can not run with manual shifting with it as you can with a DualShock or 360 pad. It is extremely uncomfortable and awkard.

As for PES Wii. I played that. A traditional pad is better than everything for football games. Even the PES addicts who have a Wii still get PES on PS2/PS3/360. The Wiimote is certainly not superior.

My opinion of course. Nothing factual.

Vinci

Danish
avaya said:
Maybe the words are getting confused here but when I say waggle I include the pointer functionality.

But they don't use the same things to function. That's why I don't include them together. When you say that the only thing the Wiimote has over other controllers is its 'waggle function,' it certainly sounds like a dismissal of the controller as something that you can just shake uncontrollably and do well in games with. Which is the connotation the 'waggle' word has attached to it at this point.

I don't think that is the primary reason for it's immediate appeal though.

I'm not discussing its immediate visual appeal, I'm talking about what people on this board tend to appreciate the most from the Wiimote - it's the pointer functionality without a doubt. That's the one thing I think most of us can agree on being an excellent tool.

As for PES Wii. I played that. A traditional pad is better than everything for football games. Even the PES addicts who have a Wii still get PES on PS2/PS3/360. The Wiimote is certainly not superior.

I own PES Wii. It is my favorite sports game. Possibly ever. It is the only sports game I own on the system or any system I have owned since the Dreamcast died. There is a reason for that. So our opinions on that game couldn't be more opposite. I consider any game that could use those controls not using them a waste and not worth bothering with.

Jokeropia

avaya said:
Sorry but any racer in which braking and cornering are not secondary thoughts is a joke with that controller. You can not run with manual shifting with it as you can with a DualShock or 360 pad. It is extremely uncomfortable and awkard.
Well the only racers I play are Mario Karts and I think both braking and cornering works fine, but I obviously can't comment on more traditional racers.
avaya said:
I very much disagree, but opinions are opinions.

agrajag

Banned
Troidal said:

They would get eaten alive. Microsoft is still in the red with their gaming division after two generations and they have bottomless pockets. The competition is very vicious, there's really no room for a fourth player.

agrajag said:
They would get eaten alive. Microsoft is still in the red with their gaming division after two generations and they have bottomless pockets. The competition is very vicious, there's really no room for a fourth player.

I tend to agree, although, if anyone could do it, Apple would be the one to bet on.....the "cool factor" surrounding this company is just insane.

Threi

notag
bdouble said:
A tip for you. Sit back in a chair rest your wrist on your elevated knee and point the IR towards the screen. You don't have to hold your whole damn arm up.

Not to say he does it, but it pisses me off to no end when people say their wrist is tired pointing at the screen, only to go to their house and see them standing up in front of the TV, arm fully stretched out.

I beat metroid prime 3 on lying down on my bed. The whole "mah wrist hurts waaa wiimote sucks" is complete, complete bullshit.

on that topic time for a rant:

It also bugs me when people try to imitate 1:1 and then complain when they fall short and blame it on the controller. The things they try to imitate (baseball swinging, exaggerated arm flicking) TAKE FUCKING ENERGY TO DO MORONS. DID YOU EXPECT THE FUCKING CONTROLLER TO GIVE YOU FREE ENERGY OR SOMETHING?

Liara T'Soni said:
I tend to agree, although, if anyone could do it, Apple would be the one to bet on.....the "cool factor" surrounding this company is just insane.
Gaming may be a leap too far for "cool". :D

agrajag

Banned
Threi said:
Not to say he does it, but it pisses me off to no end when people say their wrist is tired pointing at the screen, only to go to their house and see them standing up in front of the TV, arm fully stretched out.

I beat metroid prime 3 on lying down on my bed. The whole "mah wrist hurts waaa wiimote sucks" is complete, complete bullshit.

on that topic time for a rant:

It also bugs me when people try to imitate 1:1 and then complain when they fall short and blame it on the controller. The things they try to imitate (baseball swinging, exaggerated arm flicking) TAKE FUCKING ENERGY TO DO MORONS. DID YOU EXPECT THE FUCKING CONTROLLER TO GIVE YOU FREE ENERGY OR SOMETHING?

I tend to wonder just how fucking much these people play games for their wrists to start hurting from Metroid Corruption? It's probably not that healthy in the first place. Go outside, people!

Mau ®

I want no next gen system talk until 2010 at the earliest. I think the systems should roll out on 2011-2012.

A 6-7 year lifetime (ala PS2) would be great for all systems.

I'd be worried if all we get is major HW revision. Next Gen games are extremely expensive to produce, I cant imagine how much Next-Next Gen games are gonna cost if the HW leap is comparable from PS2-PS3

bdouble

amar212 said:
Oh yeah, another "small" detail - games already have more than 30GB of data. With being certain that next-next-gen will be able to pull-off 1080p with no problem as a standard, I guess we can expect next-next-gen games to be in proximity of 60-80GB of data-size, without going into futher explanations. Downloading such a tramendous amount of data - with internet speeds in range of even unbeleivable 40Mb/s would take very serious amounts of time.

Size of medium and resolution output have zero correlation. With compression getting better all the time, procedurally generated content, faster read times and other factors BRD might be the the medium for games might for a while. Especially if mandatory installs become the norm. Then the data can be uncompressed onto the hard drive.

The reason PS3 games are so big right now is because the read/seek times are so damn slow it has to be uncompressed.

Digital copies will become more and more viable though. Being able to purchase the disc or download will be the first step and probably pretty healthy next gen. I like the option and love the idea of just one time install with the disc then its registered online so I can play it at any time ala Steam.

Top Bottom