• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes column on PS4, Xbox 720, Wii 2 (next-gen systems)

amar212

bdouble said:
Size of medium and resolution output have zero correlation. With compression getting better all the time, procedurally generated content, faster read times and other factors BRD might be the the medium for games might for a while. Especially if mandatory installs become the norm. Then the data can be uncompressed onto the hard drive.

The reason PS3 games are so big right now is because the read/seek times are so damn slow it has to be uncompressed.

I agree with you, but with one small detail:

Developers are not into optimisation. And development time has to be shortened as much as it can due to high cost. Ergo, compression and such will not be important issue in developemnt cirlcle once when next-next gen standard and engines appear. Also notice that now when BR has almost become "common intrest" among developers (even Carmack said thing or two about it yesterday), there is only matter of time when data-size will go seriously over 50GB.

No question there, it's just matter of time. And the main point of what you quted me above is that internet-speed as it is in the 90% of the world would not suffice the requirements of next-next-gen data-quantity of software. It's just my prediction, and I can be wrong. But somehow I see size of datapack rising faster than adjacent internet speeds.

Top Bottom