• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foreign leaders told to praise Trump on election win

HotHamBoy

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...s-told-to-praise-trump-on-election-win-report

Foreign officials meeting President Trump during his first overseas trip are being told to praise him for winning the Electoral College last year, the New York Times reported Friday.

Embassies and leaders who have met with Trump have been speaking among themselves and with other dignitaries about how to handle the new president, and a number of themes have emerged, the report said. Among them:

- Compliment Trump on his election win, and compare him favorably to former President Obama.

- Don't expect him to know your country's history or hot-button issues.

- Make a short presentation tailored to his attention span, and don't try to bring up a long list of issues.

Probably the most easily manipulated president of all time. It's terrifying how easily foreign leaders could play into his ego and take advantage of his ignorance.

UPDATE: Added some more examples of this in action:

From a Reuters article posted yesterday:

Conversations with some officials who have briefed Trump and others who are aware of how he absorbs information portray a president with a short attention span.

He likes single-page memos and visual aids like maps, charts, graphs and photos.

National Security Council officials have strategically included Trump's name in "as many paragraphs as we can because he keeps reading if he's mentioned," according to one source, who relayed conversations he had with NSC officials.

Trump likes to look at a map of the country involved when he learns about a topic.

The Atlantic wrote on May 15:

Perhaps, as top intelligence officials have said of Russian interference in the election, the Kremlin is stunned at how successful the meeting turned out to be for them. But Lavrov and Kislyak had also carefully put themselves in a position to take advantage of good luck. As my colleague Julia Ioffe reported, and Politico’s Susan Glasser confirmed, the Russians had been pressing hard for an in-person meeting with Trump, “a man who is now known for starkly reversing his positions if exposed to in-person pleasantries.”

The article then goes on to outline several other major interactions with foreign leaders in which a brief visit with Trump was enough to get him to change his views. In reference to his meeting with President Xi Jinping:

The explanation was remarkable not only for Trump’s frank admission that he knew little about the background of the Korean Peninsula, but for his equally frank admission that the leader of a foreign country—and not just any foreign country, but a major American rival that Trump had repeatedly savaged rhetorically—could reverse his understanding of a key issue with just 10 minutes of persuasion.

Sephzilla

I'd rather see a foreign leader do the complete opposite just to make Trump look like the most incompetent man in the room.

I dont know that I'd even bother talking to him if the instructions are basically "praise him until he gets the point and then move on."

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Abdullah, pledge your loyalty to me.
Mr. Abe, pledge your loyalty to me.
Mr. Jinping, pledge your loyalty to me.

Zubz

Banned
At this point, I'm more embarrassed on foreign leaders for rolling with it. I think I'm at about rock bottom for embarrassment towards us.

RPGCrazied

Anyone doing this shouldn't be a leader.

He basically wants people to think he is some sort of god. When in reality he is a child in a adult's body.

It's been six months since the election and this sentient carton of spoiled orange juice still hasn't gotten over the fact that he won?

The sorest winner in history.

HotHamBoy

At this point, I'm more embarrassed on foreign leaders for rolling with it. I think I'm at about rock bottom for embarrassment towards us.

Anyone doing this shouldn't be a leader.

He basically wants people to think he is some sort of god. When in reality he is a child in a adult's body.

What? They aren't doing it to look good for Trump, they're doing it to manipulate him for their own agenda.

Any savvy leader would do that.

TalonJH

literally a child

- Compliment Trump on his election win, and compare him favorably to former President Obama.

- Make a short presentation tailored to his attention span, and don't try to bring up a long list of issues.

- No sugar before bedtime

- Bed by 8 p.m.

Basically a babysitters list.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Holy shit ..

Damaniel

Banned
We went from one of the most well-liked, well-informed, charismatic Presidents in decades to... this. Thanks, racists.

Perhaps the foreign leaders should send Trump over to sit at the kids' table while the adults talk.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
1. Keep them away from the light
2. Never get them wet
3. Never feed them after midnight

Altazor

The Liberal Media making again some fake news! Sad!

Dear President Trump already has the most bigly support of all presidents around the world! Bigly! Nobody has more support than him, it's tremendous! Everybody knows President Trump's victory was the best victory and now he's doing all he can to make America bigly again! #MAGA

RPGCrazied

Jesus fuck, just give him two scoops of ice cream while you're at it.

And some trucks to play with!

170323175836-trump-truck-2-full-169.jpg

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I'd rather see a foreign leader do the complete opposite just to make Trump look like the most incompetent man in the room.

"Pleased to meet you, President. Shame about you losing the popular vote to Hillary Clinton, even Barack Obama won both the electoral vote and popular vote in his elections. Now here's a long list of issues that I would like your input on."

Top Bottom