• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget about physics - the official Dissidia Final Fantasy thread

rataven

TheChillyAcademic said:
Golbez, Ultimecia, Kuja and Tidus (SHOCK) have the best VA so far. Oh and I have no sympathy for JD Cullum lol He should be used to the specific speech patterns that are intrinsic to Japanese voice acting and translations and as for not knowing anything about his character...well that's what the internet is for isn't it?
The VAs pretty good all around. Sephiroth is silky smooth and I think Tidus actually sounds better here than in X. Terra's also better than I expected.

On another note, I suck. Seriously, I am not good :lol But I am loving every minute of it.

rataven said:
The VAs pretty good all around. Sephiroth is silky smooth and I think Tidus actually sounds better here than in X. Terra's also better than I expected.

On another note, I suck. Seriously, I am not good :lol But I am loving every minute of it.

The game really kicks your ass lol The only reason Im not super struggling is because I played the demo for about 2932783879263 hours. Yeah Sephiroth is one character who was voiced absolutely perfectly. He's always had the same VA, across nearly 4 different games and its incredible how well his VA was cast.

Still, its tough for me to forget that he's Brian McKenzie :lol

rataven

TheChillyAcademic said:
Still, its tough for me to forget that he's Brian McKenzie :lol
Well, have no worries because his VA is George Newbern. He also voiced Nooj in X-2. And he's doing the voiceover for the Toyato Prius commercials. I half expect Seph to drop from the sky and spear that car all Aerith-style :D

rataven said:
Well, have no worries because his VA is George Newbern. He also voiced Nooj in X-2. And he's doing the voiceover for the Toyato Prius commercials. I half expect Seph to drop from the sky and spear that car all Aerith-style :D

Brian McKenzie was the name of the character he played in Father of the Bride lol Every time that movie comes on HBO I can't help but to watch it :lol

rataven

TheChillyAcademic said:
Brian McKenzie was the name of the character he played in Father of the Bride lol Every time that movie comes on HBO I can't help but to watch it :lol
Completely forgot that was him. He's come a long way :lol

I'm reading through Penelo's character profiles. They're hysterical. Love Kefka, Seph, and Kuja's.

squall211

rataven said:

Seriously. I've never had more fun getting my ass handed to me than I am having with this game lol.

Fuu said:
And let's not forget when he had the voice of Lance Bass.
lance_bass_1844338.jpg

Sin Harvest, baby!

Game is really cool, btw. I just started last night with Cecil's story, but it's crazy how it all works.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
rataven said:
Completely forgot that was him. He's come a long way :lol

I'm reading through Penelo's character profiles. They're hysterical. Love Kefka, Seph, and Kuja's.

According to Jecht's profile she likes big macho buff men.

So why the hell is she going out with Vaan?

rataven

Regulus Tera said:
According to Jecht's profile she likes big macho buff men.

So why the hell is she going out with Vaan?
Oh Penelo, don't be a cheatin', sugar daddy chaser.

"bronzed god" :lol
donkey show said:
Sin Harvest, baby!

Game is really cool, btw. I just started last night with Cecil's story, but it's crazy how it all works.
Sin Harvest sounded so much cooler then "Descend Heartless Angel". Fix that in KHIII, Square!

rataven said:
Oh Penelo, don't be a cheatin', sugar daddy chaser.

"bronzed god" :lol

Some of comments are kinda sad.

"golbez - despite his fierce looks, he's a really sweet older brother. must be nice, having a brother..."

Penelo does have brothers, they're all dead....

Others are freakin' hilarious.

"kuja - personally? i don't believe that boys should be prettier than i am." :lol

They must have been lurking some gaming forums for these comments, seriously.

rataven

Fimbulvetr said:
They must have been lurking some gaming forums for these comments, seriously.
That's what I was thinking, and some questionable forums at that.

Sephiroth - "I hear that he's quite popular. Do you really think he's all that attractive?"

:lol

Picked this up last night. So strange playing this game in English after playing the Japanese version for so long.

Also, I started realizing just how hard it is to go back and play the game as a low-level character again after being such a high-level character for so long. :lol

fernoca

Well, since noone replied my question about the content of the PSP bundle...and found a 4GB stick in the closet...
also as part of a birthday present

Got a new PSP (3000) along with Dissidia....
Installing now (500MB+ option), will try later.

neoism

Well I've got about 11 hours in now, and it's getting on my nerves a little, wtf is with the difficulty, I fought a regular enemy that was just 2 levels higher than me and he was fucking impossible! I'm still loving it, but damn. I've only used Tidus so far! Also how do you unlock the museum!?

neoism said:
Well I've got about 11 hours in now, and it's getting on my nerves a little, wtf is with the difficulty, I fought a regular enemy that was just 2 levels higher than me and he was fucking impossible! I'm still loving it, but damn. I've only used Tidus so far! Also how do you unlock the museum!?
I think you get it after you beat a character storyline or two.

TheChillyAcademic said:
So what specifically does it mean when you master an ability? Does that mean you don't have to equip it or that its mastered for everyone?
It reduces the CP required to equip that ability. I believe it halves them. (PS read the manual/game tutorials)

Where can I get me some rosetta stones? Can I keep replaying the same story and keep getting them or is there a finite amount in the whole game?

PS, Firion fucking SUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSS!

rataven

RocketDarkness said:
(PS read the manual/game tutorials)
I'm not knocking the game, but if I had read through all those menus and tutorials, I still wouldn't be playing. The game's so amazingly deep and detailed and I'm sure I'll get into the finer points of it soon, but firing it up for the first time, it was just too tempting to swing my giant buster sword in Kefka's face. Oh how long I have waited...

That said, I've earned a few new moves, leveled up, and the pace is quickening. It's crazy fun.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Well, I've read all the in game menus/tutorials and I still needed to check internet guides. :lol

rataven said:
I'm not knocking the game, but if I had read through all those menus and tutorials, I still wouldn't be playing. The game's so amazingly deep and detailed and I'm sure I'll get into the finer points of it soon, but firing it up for the first time, it was just too tempting to swing my giant buster sword in Kefka's face. Oh how long I have waited...

That said, I've earned a few new moves, leveled up, and the pace is quickening. It's crazy fun.
The tutorials are amazing, especially when you're familiar with the character giving the tutorial. And funny, I couldn't wait to smash Cloud's face in with...well, everybody.:D

rataven

Fuu said:
Well, I've read all the in game menus/tutorials and I still needed to check internet guides. :lol
Can't wait for the strategy guide. First one I'll buy and actually use.
RocketDarkness said:
The tutorials are amazing, especially when you're familiar with the character giving the tutorial. And funny, I couldn't wait to smash Cloud's face in with...well, everybody.
To each his own. Tis the joy of the game! :D

fernoca

Well, after nearly an hour of installation..
The game's really cool and slick..really different too, going to spend some more time with it. But so far, love it.

Wilsongt

I am just starting to get the hang of using Zidane... After Kefka kicked my ass no less than 10 times. I finally managed to get enough EX Cores to go into EX Mode and kick his sorry clown ass.

Synless

Tidus is a beast in this game, and on a disappointing note my new replacement Psp I just got two months ago has developed a stuck pixel and it's driving me nuts, it wasn't there last week.....time to send it in to Sony. :(

neoism

Synless said:
Tidus is a beast in this game, and on a disappointing note my new replacement Psp I just got two months ago has developed a stuck pixel and it's driving me nuts, it wasn't there last week.....time to send it in to Sony. :(
Yeah he is really good, but he doesn't enough HP attacks.

Shouta

neoism said:
Yeah he is really good, but he doesn't enough HP attacks.

He has more than enough as you level him. He's almost entirely an aerial character too IMO. I did have trouble against Jecht though, man is he a jerk.

MAtgS

TheChillyAcademic said:
So who's up for some Dissidia II talk? :lol
Would it be Dissidia: Final Fantasy 2 or Dissidia: Something Else? Like Dissidia: Dragon Quest for example.

BlueWord

Speaking of Dissidia II, I love how SE did that little cocktease a few months back, saying that a sequel depends entirely on Western sales.

That's a load a horseshit, of course. The thing sold gangbusters overseas, and it'll perform well over here on the Final Fantasy name alone.

As for what I expect... idk, more characters and stage, probably. Personally, I think characters from FF spin offs might not be such a bad idea, either, at least in a cameo role.

Square should release it on Wii and PSP. Then they should negotiate with Nintendo to let them have their pick of FF characters for the next Smash Brothers in exchange for Link on the Wii version. Faces would melt.

But seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing Sora or someone else from Kingdom Hearts in, considering they stole his battle system. Beyond that, more characters! More stages! Slightly less grinding! And Crystal Chronicles representation! I want Layle and the Black Knight and...hmm, Sherlotta? I dunno! Maybe make a "Tournament Edition" with a shitton of characters and no storyline. Just a whole bunch of challenge battles to test your skills.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh God the amount of CHEESE in this game.

It was easy to ignore it when they spoke in a language I couldn't understand. Now? Now it is... augh.

MAtgS

RocketDarkness said:
Square should release it on Wii and PSP. Then they should negotiate with Nintendo to let them have their pick of FF characters for the next Smash Brothers in exchange for Link on the Wii version. Faces would melt.
Linksgrave.jpg

technically he qualifies.

Anyway, as far as actual gameplay goes, maybe team battles for a sequel. It'd make sense from a plot standpoint to have characters allegedly on the same side to actually fight together & it'd give more use to the manual lock-on button.

Regulus Tera said:
Oh God the amount of CHEESE in this game.

It was easy to ignore it when they spoke in a language I couldn't understand. Now? Now it is... augh.
That's probably why the International/Final Mix versions of Square games get made.

Fuu

RocketDarkness said:
Really? What for? I'm kind of curious what the game failed to explain properly.
DP points and the bravery pool but maybe it's due to me reading while sleepy, I'm not sure.

Also, I still don't know what's going on the top right side of the screen during battles, where sometimes it lists stuff like "<HP><HP><HP><HP> 4.2".

PS: I'm still on Cloud's story. A bit hard to find time to play even the handhelds these days. :(

squall211

I could definitely see a sequel coming. It would be interesting to see how they would add more playable characters. They'd most likely need to use some of the spinoff/sequel games in order to get more villians in. I could definitely see
Yuna/Seymour
from X,
Ashe/Vayne and Balthier/Cid
from XII, and if they wanted to go into non mainline games,
Zack/Genesis
from Crisis Core, and
Vincent/Hojo
from Dirge.

Edit: Oh, and
Seifer
. I really wish he was in the game.

Shouta

Fuu said:
DP points and the bravery pool but maybe it's due to me reading while sleepy, I'm not sure.

Also, I still don't know what's going on the top right side of the screen during battles, where sometimes it lists stuff like "<HP><HP><HP><HP> 4.2".

PS: I'm still on Cloud's story. A bit hard to find time to play even the handhelds these days. :(

Upper right hand are modifiers mostly for like Experience and the like.

Flib

Picked this up today, really fantastic game. Can't believe they actually pulled this off as a great game in its own right.

Annoyed though, I hadn't update my CFW in a while, and when going through the upgrade process I wasn't paying attention and just updated it using the 5.5 on the UMD, and now I'm stuck with regular firmware again. Guess I'll have to do the Pandora battery thing now (I have a psp-1000).

Fuu said:

DP points are pretty ridiculous. Every time you move your home point, you use a DP, basically. Every action you do out of your home point moves your home point to the square you did that action from. Or in other words, doing actions out of your home point uses DP. Thus, it's better to perform actions from squares where there's one or more targets available.

Each stage has it's own bravery pool, which is increased through various means. If someone gets broken, the person who triggered the break is awarded all those points.

The right and left side of your screen have to do with you and your opponent's accessories. You know all those accessories that provide multipliers to your currently equipped accessories? Those symbols indicate which are active, with the number indicating the overall multiplier currently in effect.

For example, say your opponent has a "Defense + 10%" accessory, then an HP = 100% 1.5x, HP > 80% 1.2x, HP > 50% 1.2x, and a Near Death 2.0x accessory. When the battle starts, he'll have four symbols with three of them filled in. That means the three HP > X% accessories are active, and the multiplier would be at 2.2x. As you decrease their HP below those levels, the symbols will fade and their multiplier will steadily go down, until you get them into red flashing HP, at which point they'll jump to a 2.0x multiplier. Taking a look at how your opponent's multipliers work can save you a lot of trouble. Those that have a bunch of HP > X% multipliers should imply that you should hit with HP attacks regularly to continually weaken their offensive capabilities, while some have a ton of HP < Y% and Near Death multipliers, which might mean you want to gather a substantial supply of brave before going in for a single killing blow.

MoxManiac

Probably dumb question but even though it's a fighting game, it's pretty single player focused, right? I want the game but being that it's PSP, it'll be single player for me.

Fuu

Shouta said:
Upper right hand are modifiers mostly for like Experience and the like.
RocketDarkness said:
DP points are pretty ridiculous. Every time you move your home point, you use a DP, basically. Every action you do out of your home point moves your home point to the square you did that action from. Or in other words, doing actions out of your home point uses DP. Thus, it's better to perform actions from squares where there's one or more targets available.

Each stage has it's own bravery pool, which is increased through various means. If someone gets broken, the person who triggered the break is awarded all those points.

The right and left side of your screen have to do with you and your opponent's accessories. You know all those accessories that provide multipliers to your currently equipped accessories? Those symbols indicate which are active, with the number indicating the overall multiplier currently in effect.

For example, say your opponent has a "Defense + 10%" accessory, then an HP = 100% 1.5x, HP > 80% 1.2x, HP > 50% 1.2x, and a Near Death 2.0x accessory. When the battle starts, he'll have four symbols with three of them filled in. That means the three HP > X% accessories are active, and the multiplier would be at 2.2x. As you decrease their HP below those levels, the symbols will fade and their multiplier will steadily go down, until you get them into red flashing HP, at which point they'll jump to a 2.0x multiplier. Taking a look at how your opponent's multipliers work can save you a lot of trouble. Those that have a bunch of HP > X% multipliers should imply that you should hit with HP attacks regularly to continually weaken their offensive capabilities, while some have a ton of HP < Y% and Near Death multipliers, which might mean you want to gather a substantial supply of brave before going in for a single killing blow.
I've read about DP and bravery pool earlier, they're kind of self explanatory but I didn't feel 100% sure about how they worked at first. Now I'm trying to focus more on the DP chances to raise the points and get those prizes at the end.

I was indeed confused about the way the game was showing those modifiers, next time I play I'll pay more attention. Thanks for the explanation!

Edit: another question, if I equip a "Defense + 10%", "Attack + 10%" and "HP > 50% 2.0x", will the 50% 2.0X multiplier work on both base accessories simultaneously?

Fuu said:
I've read about DP and bravery pool earlier, they're kind of self explanatory but I didn't feel 100% sure about how they worked at first. Now I'm trying to focus more on the DP chances to raise the points and get those prizes at the end.

I was indeed confused about the way the game was showing those modifiers, next time I play I'll pay more attention. Thanks for the explanation!

Edit: another question, if I equip a "Defense + 10%", "Attack + 10%" and "HP > 50% 2.0x", will the 50% 2.0X multiplier work on both base accessories simultaneously?

I'm pretty sure that's the case, though I can't say I've tested it specifically.

Top Bottom