• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget the console wars, all 3 consoles are unique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark1

Partially agree, however if each console had decent third party support then it wouldn't be an issue.

As it stands right now I have a Switch and PS4 in my new house. Both offer unique forms of entertainment.

Happy with this setup. My brother has the Xbone so if any exclusive and interesting first party games come anytime soon then I'll try them out.

Wamb0wneD

I fully agree, it's why I own both a PS4 and an Xbox One and am planning to get a Switch.

I love the pro-consumer moves Microsoft have been making lately with game pass, BC, EA Access etc and as such want to keep supporting Microsoft moving forward, which is why the Xbox One is my console of choice for third party games.

Sony, meanwhile, are giving me tonnes of cool exclusives to play - in less than 12 months of owning a PS4 I've played through all 4 Uncharted games, TLOU, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Gravity Rush, Journey, Resogun, Danganronpa, Until Dawn, Horizon, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and Yakuza 0, with NieR Automata, Ratchet and Clank, Alienation, Danganronpa 2, Final Fantasy X-2 and the remaining Kingdom Hearts games all sitting in my backlog - these are all games I wouldn't have played without a PS4.

Nintendo, on the other hand, are out there doing their own thing, working on making console gaming possible on the go while dropping critically acclaimed game like Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2, as well as the upcoming Mario Odyssey, which I'm sure will be fantastic.

All three are out there doing something different and honestly I'm not sure there's been a better time for all consoles in term of uniqueness in recent years, which as a gamer with no particular allegiance to any company excites me for what is to come in the future.

See, I get where you're coming from and I like the pro consumer moves that MS is doing as well, but the thing is, while I'm happy as a consumer, MS themselves didn't do themselves any favours, particulary with the play anywhere thing. I sure like being able to play pretty much everything on PC, but MS cut off a significant amount of their userbase with that. If I want to play Zelda I need a Switch, if I want to play Bloodborne I need a PS4. If I want to play Cuphead... I just get it on Steam.

Console exclusives are kind of anti consumer, sure, but when I'm looking at what came out on every console this year so far and what will come out in the forseeable future I just don't see why I need an Xbox One, and the average consumer will ask himself why as well.

sam12

Does this mean you lowered your expectations?

I always compared them to Sony, hey they are doing amazing single player games so why not Xbox. But that's not their path it seems, majority of their future output will be a GAAS and If you want smaller level single player then it seems Gamepass will be for that. Which is all fine as that's how they are making money and will differentiate in future from Sony.

sam12

The points you made for Xbox like AA games, GAAS and good hardware for western devs is all on the PS4 too. OP does a bad job of making them seem unique.

GAAS is not the focus of PS first party though, unlike MS

You are right I forgot about Gamepass Xbox which also differentiates it from Sony

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, one comes from Sony, another from Microsoft and the third from Nintendo so as a result they all have unique logos printed on them.

Which is handy cos I sometimes confuse which electronic black box is which.

I would agree on Sony and Nintendo. But, Microsoft has been super week this gen. I realized the other day - I've used my Wii U more in the past year or so than I've used my Xbox One since it came out. There's just nothing going on there that's compelling for me that isn't on a PC. Really poor showing, and watching Gamescom the other day really sealed it for me.

oti

Banned
The Xbox' biggest issue is it's too much like a PS4 but worse. At least Xbox X will change that hardware wise.

Wamb0wneD

I would agree on Sony and Nintendo. But, Microsoft has been super week this gen. I realized the other day - I've used my Wii U more in the past year or so than I've used my Xbox One since it came out. There's just nothing going on there that's compelling for me that isn't on a PC. Really poor showing, and watching Gamescom the other day really sealed it for me.

The people in that Gamescom thread saying what a good showing MS had are the reason why we can't have nice things.

Bgamer90

Banned
My personal breakdown as someone that owns all three and will get the Xbox One X...

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo exclusives and system portability for smaller, digital titles.

PlayStation 4: PlayStation exclusives

Xbox One: Services (e.g.: EA Access), Xbox exclusives, best multiplats

Sure. They wouldn't be selling if they weren't unique.....but I don't quite think that's the reason why people buy one over the other etc etc. everyone can recognize that they are all different from each other because they are.....but like....there's no reason to remind people OP.

Ernest

Banned
I only had room/time for one console. And I've been happy with the one console I chose, never feeling like I was missing out.

See, I get where you're coming from and I like the pro consumer moves that MS is doing as well, but the thing is, while I'm happy as a consumer, MS themselves didn't do themselves any favours, particulary with the play anywhere thing. I sure like being able to play pretty much everything on PC, but MS cut off a significant amount of their userbase with that. If I want to play Zelda I need a Switch, if I want to play Bloodborne I need a PS4. If I want to play Cuphead... I just get it on Steam.

Console exclusives are kind of anti consumer, sure, but when I'm looking at what came out on every console this year so far and what will come out in the forseeable future I just don't see why I need an Xbox One, and the average consumer will ask himself why as well.

I agree - I just don't have a PC to play on and had an Xbox One before the Play Anywhere thing was announced. As someone who owns an Xbox One and doesn't have the funds or any real motivation to get a PC, I'm fine with Play Anywhere as it just means more people get to experience anything Microsoft does manage to put out. In terms of what it means for Xbox One, I agree it is a fairly strange move in removing people's need to buy one.

Caayn

Last generation was the first gen where I owned all major consoles; 360, PS3 and the Wii. It felt great, being able to experience each game without needing to worry if you own a box with the correct logo on the front. Feeling and experiencing the differences between the games, hardware, controller, ecosystem, UI, etc yourself without going off of what other "random" people online tell you.

So as it felt good last gen I decided to do the same with this generation and I don't regret it. I imported the XB1* day one, got a PS4 shortly after release, bought my WiiU when the Wind Waker bundle released and got a Switch on launch day in March this year. Got my PS4 Pro on launch day with a PSVR but sold the PSVR shortly after as I didn't like it. Got a Scorpio Edition XB1X on pre-order for when it launches in a few months. I'm happy with my decisions.

I've dipped my toes into PC gaming from time to time but I never really felt home there. Online play with a controller was no fun in shooters and I couldn't control my urge to get every last bit of power from my PC resulting in me often spending more time in the settings menu than in the game. Which kind of soured and diminished the intro for some games for me. Might give it another shot in the future but as it currently stands: PC gaming is not for me**.

*Thanks to MS delaying the release in my country to fall 2014.
**But I love 60fps gaming.

Are you confusing this gen with last gen? None of that applies this gen to either console. Online and offline games are a big deal on PS4.

Never said online games aren't a big deal but I think if you look at the first party output of both companies and compare what typically happens with the majority of these games post launch then I think it's pretty easy to see just how different the strategies and philosophies are.

Sony is pretty content right now to get $60 for their game and maybe $15 for a post launch DLC a bit farther down the line.

Microsoft on the other hand is looking to get that initial $60 and then potentially double or triple that total with post launch content over the course of the next year+.

There are exceptions on both sides of course but this generation has represented a pretty significant branching off for both Sony and Microsoft in the relation to each other, even if the hardware and third party support stays relatively in line with each other.

mitchlol

I have an Xbox one and it hasn't been switched on for months.... I got it pretty close to when Microsoft announced that all Xbox one exclusives would be coming to PC... as I already have a good PC I didn't need to get an Xbox one. Eh live and learn.

I will say that I enjoyed Gears of War, and Halo quite a bit with friends it's just that outside of those games I play everything on Sony and there isn't enough compelling reasons for me to stick with Xbox. I can't justify a second subscription (and potential third with switch <_<) on a console that is rarely played.

Wamb0wneD

I only had room/time for one console. And I've been happy with the one console I chose, never feeling like I was missing out.

Just because you didn't feel like you missed out doesn't mean you didn't though.

I agree - I just don't have a PC to play on and had an Xbox One before the Play Anywhere thing was announced. As someone who owns an Xbox One and doesn't have the funds or any real motivation to get a PC, I'm fine with Play Anywhere as it just means more people get to experience anything Microsoft does manage to put out. In terms of what it means for Xbox One, I agree it is a fairly strange move in removing people's need to buy one.

Oh yeah then it makes total sense for sure. I also don't know how their inner corporate structure really is built. Maybe MS doesn't care whether the money is coming through the Windows store or through retail and ditgital Xbox sales. But I think they have to have some reference to decide on the budget they fund their studios with (which seems to have been lowered over the last few years.) It really was and is a strange move.

What I do believe though is that their pro consumer stance was kind of born out of desperation, at least partially. When Phil could still moneyhat timed exclusives he was all for it but when his MS higher ups seemed to stop funding that sort of deals these timed exclusives were now anti consumer all of a sudden, not even to mention that at the very start of the gen they were anything but pro consumer ("Got no internet? We got something called Xbox 360 huehuehue.")

Also the problem with being pro consumer is that it isn't as marketable as a fancy trailer for some shiny exclusive. To communicate all their good efforts to the average consumer as well as a new God of War trailer would communicate how awesome that game is is basically impossible. I doubt as many people know about play anywhere, BC or gamepass as people know about the new Spiderman game.

I had all three consoles last gen, but this gen I only really feel the need to go PC/Switch. There's a few gems I feel I'm missing out on PS4 like Bloodborne and Nioh so I'll probably end up getting one, but I can't say I feel that way about any of the XBOne or its offerings.

mcrommert

Banned
Have the Xbox... Don't feel like I'm missing anything but pub and that is coming soon

Might buy a switch as my son gets older but if It was just me I wouldnt care at all

What is the Xbox One unique for? Being off?

I mean I am all for multiownership but this is the first time eber I've had doubts abput it.

My X1 hasn't been on all 2017. In the past I would maybe alternate between 2 or play each for a month then switch. This is the longest as system I've owned has remained off and looking at 2017 it will only turn on because I will upgrade to the X. Even that upgrade is in doubt.

yeah theyre all unique in that one of them is COOL and one of them SUCKS and the other one DOESN'T MATTER

I also don't count PC in the stupid "war" for many reasons, some objective and some subjective

I remember a day when I thought the Op was 100% right, but I really don't think it is anymore.

The last generation owning 3 consoles made any sense was the Gamecube/Ps2/Xbox (and hell we still played tons of dreamcast games during this). I can name 5+ games I GENUINELY LOVED that were exclusive to each console.

I'm not going to flame one console or another but I don't think owning more than 2 (or sometimes even more than one) was worth it since then.

Wamb0wneD

What is the Xbox One unique for? Being off?

I mean I am all for multiownership but this is the first time eber I've had doubts abput it.

My X1 hasn't been on all 2017. In the past I would maybe alternate between 2 or play each for a month then switch. This is the longest as system I've owned has remained off and looking at 2017 it will only turn on because I will upgrade to the X. Even that upgrade is in doubt.

I mean why would you get the X anyway then?

yeah theyre all unique in that one of them is COOL and one of them SUCKS and the other one DOESN'T MATTER

I also don't count PC in the stupid "war" for many reasons, some objective and some subjective

For this "war" being so stupid you're quite INVESTED in it it seems lmao.

No offense but I can't take your point seriously when in the op you straight up say get a pc instead of the Xbox if you can afford it. What is unique about the Xbox if the pc can do everything it does but better?

fernoca

Feels the OP just wanted to post something with GAAS on it.

No offense but I can't take your point seriously when in the op you straight up say get a pc instead of the Xbox if you can afford it. What is unique about the Xbox if the pc can do everything it does but better?
Exactly.
All 3 are unique, but you can avoid/ignore one of those 3 with this 4th one.

And "If you want Nintendo 1st party with portable then go for Switch"...

...or a Nintendo 3DS.

Vinc

PS4 and Xbox One are competing. It's called competition, not console wars. I like talking about the business side of the industry. Saying the PS4 and XB1 serve different markets is very disingenuous.

For now, its ability to let you play old Xbox games is unique. But IIRC, wasn't there talk of making that happen on W10?

Bulbasaur

Banned
I only have one console. I wish for some experiences that are on other platforms but I can only justify having one and this is my favorite.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS4=JAGUAR
PS4 PRO=JAGUAR BOOST
XBOX ONE=JAGUAR LITE
XBOX ONE S=JAGUAR LITE SPECIAL
XBOX ONE X=JAQUAR ULTRA

Nintendo Switch=Nvidia Shield 3

Exclusives that aren't first party or on PC? ....a few exist? how many are good? even fewer?
account for individual taste? One exclusive per system? so unique

Two major issues

BC with Xbox 360 and playerbase across games - this isn't mentioned a lot but if you play games like COD you don't want to be on PC. Everyone plays on console there. And even PC centric games like Siege and Battlefield still have more console players than PC players, the only exception being Overwatch honestly. And then there's controller preference - don't tell me you can hook up a controller and play Overwatch on PC, because you'll just get destroyed. There is merit to the Xbox One as a whole, even if I think a lot of people kinda miss the point.

What the PS4 makes up for in first party exclusives it fails to respond to customer demand for features that should be expected for a console that by all accounts in dominating, where the Xbox One is always getting new features and feedback is taken seriously. Yes, it's probably because they're behind Sony, but that's no excuse for Sony to do nothing at all #4ThePlayers.

MAX PAYMENT

Could you point out where? People being disappointed with the Xbox game output could hardly be discribed as fanboys.

Just read. There's a difference between being disappointed and calling it pointless. People make it sound like it just isn't a viable platform for anyone.

Not sure how yuou don't see it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I totally feel that about nintendo and sony. Sadly I can't tell what MS want's these days and that's bad. Post XBLA and the rush of games that 360 or OG brought that nintendo nor sony really didn't bring out I'm disappointed with X1.

mas8705

I could careless about the console wars too, but bringing it up on the gaf only leads to... disagreements...

Mind you I doubt anyone will try and say anything about Switch since it literally is it's own thing. As for Sony vs Microsoft, that's just personal taste. Some look at the two and see that Microsoft doesn't have as much to offer, and yet for me, I feel like Microsoft has a better overall performance (and that was before the Xbox One X was announced).

It all depends on what you like (just don't say it out loud since it can lead to some people getting triggered...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom