• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget the console wars, all 3 consoles are unique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smasher89

Help me solve the tv has 2hdmi ports, ive got 3+ consoles that uses hdmi, is there any splitter making using more possible, otherwise this justifies a small consolewar in every 2 hdmi inputs homes!

AEdouard

My personal breakdown as someone that owns all three and will get the Xbox One X...

Nintendo Switch: Nintendo exclusives and system portability for smaller, digital titles.

PlayStation 4: PlayStation exclusives

Xbox One: Services (e.g.: EA Access), Xbox exclusives, best multiplats

Best multiplats on xbox one? What?

Wamb0wneD

Just read. There's a difference between being disappointed and calling it pointless. People make it sound like it just isn't a viable platform for anyone.

Not sure how yuou don't see it.

Maybe for these people it is pointless/not viable? If you own a PC and like to game on it there is barely any reason to get an Xbox, and people pointing that out, whether from their own point of view or as a general observation aren't fanboying in any shape or form. Some other guy owns one but didn't turn it on the entire year, i.e. it's pointless to him. Is he a fanboy now?

Saying something negative about a console isn't fanboying. The Wii U got shit for it's game droughts for years, and rightfully so. I don't even see that amount of memes and Gifs in Xbox related threads yet, despite Xbox' games effort this year being kinda abysmal.( and not all that great the last years either, sadly.)

If you want to have a good time in Xbox related threads I'd say better get used to this rethoric until MS publishes some noteworthy good exclusives again. When that happens most people will shut up about it.

Best multiplats on xbox one? What?

I think he means 4K. Personally that's not worth 500 bucks for me but to each their own I guess.

bitbydeath

MS aren't even trying anymore, they've been downsizing ever since the management changed.

Ask yourself, do you really think they will purchase another game studio for Xbox? They've had lots of time to grow but they are not.

There was a time when RARE was said to be making multiple games and Phil was hyping everyone on Twitter and even wore a tshirt about battletoads.

It's all gone, they're downsizing and RARE are very likely next to go.

RedSwirl

The problem is having to own all three (or even more than one) to be able to access a plurality of notable games. It doesn't make sense to anyone who doesn't already play a lot of console games.

MAX PAYMENT

Maybe for these people it is pointless/not viable? If you own a PC and like to game on it there is barely any reason to get an Xbox, and people pointing that out, whether from their own point of view or as a general observation aren't fanboying in any shape or form. Some other guy owns one but didn't turn it on the entire year, i.e. it's pointless to him. Is he a fanboy now?

Saying something negative about a console isn't fanboying. The Wii U got shit for it's game droughts for years, and rightfully so. I don't even see that amount of memes and Gifs in Xbox related threads yet, despite Xbox' games effort this year being kinda abysmal.

If you want to have a good time in Xbox related threads I'd say better get used to this rethoric until MS publishes some noteworthy good exclusives again. When that happens most people will shut up about it.

Eh. I think it gets old. Nore whining than constructive criticism. A lot of the times the issues are blown out of proportion and Sony issues are downplayed. It all happens enough to make this forum difficult to read through sometimes.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Could you point out where? People being disappointed with the Xbox game output could hardly be discribed as fanboys.

There's a difference between bein disappointed and never owning an Xbox console, never planning on buying one, and still drive by posting in threads like these.

So many MS hate threads on this forum recently, don't understand why it keeps happening! Even the Xbox One X threads are full of salt and shit posting.

New002

What's unique about Xbone?

Aside from exclusives, which is a "duh" for each of
the consoles, Xbox has got some neat services such as EA Access and Game Pass, a focus on backwards compatibility (which seems to be going all the way back to OG Xbox in the future), 4k UHD Playback and Play Anywhere across console and PC. I'm sure I'm missing thing.

They are definitely hurting on the meaningful exclusives front IMO, so it's always going to come back to that at the end of the day. With the Scorpio they may become the best place to play third party games atleast. How much that's worth remains to be seen.

MAX PAYMENT

There's a difference between bein disappointed and never owning an Xbox console, never planning on buying one, and still drive by posting in threads like these.

So many MS hate threads on this forum recently, don't understand why it keeps happening! Even the Xbox One X threads are full of salt and shit posting.

Thank you.

You don't have to own one to play it's games

Haha, I'm not agreeing or anything like that (love my white slim), but this had me laughing out loud.

Well as no one here knows what anyone has, that's kind of a moot point.

Wamb0wneD

Eh. I think it gets old. Nore whining than constructive criticism. A lot of the times the issues are blown out of proportion and Sony issues are downplayed. It all happens enough to make this forum difficult to read through sometimes.

That just comes with there being more people owning PS4s than Xboxes. You just get proportionally more fanboys on one side, simple math. But I don't see many of those in here, and I also don't think any of the PS4's problems are as big as MS' game output. And where are they blown out of proportion?

The only noteworthy exclusive for Xbox was Halo Wars 2 this year so far. Freaking Halo Wars 2. And then you have people repeating over and over again in these threads that Xbox always brings the big guns in the holiday season, or that we should wait until E3, or that Phil went to Japan. Or the best one recently, tell others how MS had a good showing in their Gamescom stream.
Thats true delusion and equally annoying as people that shit on a brand they don't like whenever they can.

It also got old for Wii U fans, that didn't stop people to point out it's flaws constantly until the Switch came along. And frankly, I think complaining about people complaining isn't all that constructive either.

You making up who has an Xbox or who is thinking about getting one and then fusing that made up knowledge with people's complaints to insinuate they are fanboys is a really fanboyish thing to do.
It's not "hate". It's concern, sometimes genuine, sometimes not. Nobody knows what occurs more often, since we can't look into each other's minds and living rooms, and if you think you're able to so you can invalidate their criticism you're part of the problem.

Jesus Christ you would think threads like this would make people actually stop having a biased and acting like it's not there.

The one has backwards compatibility from the 360 and soon to be original, can play and speak to people in a unified party on the pc, can create you own custom controllers, and soon the best looking and best performing games.

But fuck all those things right that's not unique at all.

Like I love the exclusive games for ps4 but if it was not for the Japanese developers I would not own it at all. Get super disappointed when they decide to play dumb and deny cross play, nobody is winning but Sony in that regard.

For me, Xbox gets it right with things like EA access, Gamepass, their upcoming refund policy and early access (somewhat). BC as well. I also really prefer how save backups are handled on Xbox. Everything is automated.

If their 1st party game lineup was just a bit more varied, I'd say they're doing a better job than Sony and in some respects they are. I support them and buy some games on x1 because I like to support companies that make moves that benefit me. My switch takes up the bulk of my time lately though.

Jesus Christ you would think threads like this would make people actually stop having a biased and acting like it's not there.

The one has backwards compatibility from the 360 and soon to be original, can play and speak to people in a unified party on the pc, can create you own custom controllers, and soon the best looking and best performing games.

Like I love the exclusive games for ps4 but if it was not for the Japanese developers I would not own it at all. Get super disappointed when they decide to play dumb and deny cross play, nobody is winning but Sony in that regard.

I hear ya, but there's really no need to get so wound up about it. So what if some people don't see the value?

FacelessSamurai

You making up who has an Xbox or who is thinking about getting one and then fusing that made up knowledge with people's complaints to insinuate they are fanboys is a really fanboyish thing to do.
It's not "hate". It's concern, sometimes genuine, sometimes not. Nobody knows what occurs more often and if you think you do you're part of the problem.

Of course there is lots of concern. People are concerned Xbox still exists and that their favorite console, the PS4, isn't the only dominating console on the market.

AEdouard

"Bias". Sigh.

I hear ya, but there's really no need to get so wound up about it. So what if some people don't see the value?

Just annoying after a couple of years. I get it people have their opinions but to this recently thing of people saying Xbox shouldn't exist at all is a dumb thing to say.

Most post don't even build discussion it's just my hot take that I make myself believe that it hasn't been said 1000 times already.

This thread itself is an example of people mostly making snarky remarks.

Wamb0wneD

Of course there is lots of concern. People are concerned Xbox still exists and that their favorite console, the PS4, isn't the only dominating console on the market.

You can continue to try to invalidate every bit of criticism towards your favourite brand by pretending you can look into people's minds and living rooms through the internet, but I can already tell you that it only makes you look bad, noone else.

Also if this is how you discuss things in general I can see a bright future ahead of you on this forum.

I fully agree, it's why I own both a PS4 and an Xbox One and am planning to get a Switch.

I love the pro-consumer moves Microsoft have been making lately with game pass, BC, EA Access etc and as such want to keep supporting Microsoft moving forward, which is why the Xbox One is my console of choice for third party games.

Sony, meanwhile, are giving me tonnes of cool exclusives to play - in less than 12 months of owning a PS4 I've played through all 4 Uncharted games, TLOU, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Gravity Rush, Journey, Resogun, Danganronpa, Until Dawn, Horizon, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X and Yakuza 0, with NieR Automata, Ratchet and Clank, Alienation, Danganronpa 2, Final Fantasy X-2 and the remaining Kingdom Hearts games all sitting in my backlog - these are all games I wouldn't have played without a PS4.

Nintendo, on the other hand, are out there doing their own thing, working on making console gaming possible on the go while dropping critically acclaimed game like Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2, as well as the upcoming Mario Odyssey, which I'm sure will be fantastic.

All three are out there doing something different and honestly I'm not sure there's been a better time for all consoles in term of uniqueness in recent years, which as a gamer with no particular allegiance to any company excites me for what is to come in the future.

I like this post.

Just annoying after a couple of years. I get it people have their opinions but to this recently thing of people saying Xbox shouldn't exist at all is a dumb thing to say.

Most post don't even build discussion it's just my hot take that I make myself believe that it hasn't been said 1000 times already.

This thread itself is an example of people mostly making snarky remarks.

I hear ya. I own all three so I guess I don't really feel all that invested in any of them (though I kicked a beehive yesterday over not caring about crossplay all that much). Each has its pros and cons. I'd imagine that on gaf, the console that focuses more on games as a service would get the most flak though. You see it on any new game announcement when people start going apeshit if there's no single player. It kind of makes sense people would be a bit down on X1 here. It wouldn't hurt most of us to tone down the hyperbole some though as it leads to conflict.

Neither of these are unique...

Game Pass, EA Access, Plus, etc are not unique services. BC is not unique too because even PS4 has it own BC... Wii U has BC... Switch will probably have soon.

What XB1 add that can't be found in any other place?

This feels a little nitpicky. As a console owner, I can't get BC (on the level of x1) on any current gen home console. EA access either. I don't even use BC much if at all, but MS has done a good job supporting it and the amount of titles available seems pretty good. I didn't like gamepass when I tried it, but it's a pretty good idea that can be improved. MS may not be strong on the exclusives front, but there are some things worth commending.

ethomaz

Banned
BC, Xbox Game Pass, EA Access, etc.

Game Pass, EA Access, Plus, etc are not unique services. BC is not unique too because even PS4 has it own BC... Wii U has BC... Switch will probably have soon.

They are heavily investing in services and their ecosystem; Game Pass, EA Access, Xbox Live Gold of course, BC, Play Anywhere.

It may or may not be what you want out of gaming, but they are doing their own thing. Though I guess none of this is really "unique"...

ViolentP

That TV out functionality I never use?

KORNdoggy

Eh, The PS4 and the Xbone aren't particularly that different.

Yeah, they're the same thing in a different plastic shell. The difference is in the amount of content they offer, but thats not really a unique selling point, it's more an expectation. I cant imagine MS had a meeting asking what unique differentiating features their console needs and someone said "we could have no variety, barely any new ips or exclusives" and everyone cheered...or maybe they did, who knows whats going on over there. Lol

ethomaz

Banned
That TV out functionality I never use?
Yeap... that could be one thing.

They are heavily investing in services and their ecosystem; Game Pass, EA Access, Xbox Live Gold of course, BC, Play Anywhere.

It may or may not be what you want out of gaming, but they are doing their own thing.
These services are not unique... it is same to say the OS is unique when it is not all consoles has an OS... they are different but they are OSs.

You can like Game Pass or EA Access over Plus but they are basically the same thing.

There's simply not enough to differentiate Xbox One from PS4 to make me feel like I need both.

We are looking at, what, 90% of games on both platforms being shared between XB1 and PS4?

I think in terms of game library overlap, consoles have never been closer than XB1 and PS4 honestly. The OG Xbox and Xbox 360 both had more exclusive titles than Xbox One does.

In terms of features Xbox One has plenty differentiating it. Backwards compat and UHD Blu-Ray playback alone make me feel like I should get one when the price is right. If there were more exclusive games, it would be a no brainer for me.

I got all 3 and i think they are too unique because I'm buying more games for each one that I can handle.
futurama_meme_backlog.jpg

But like my man Reggie always say,
1446143546404.gif

FacelessSamurai

You can continue to try to invalidate every bit of criticism towards your favourite brand by pretending you can look into people's minds and living rooms through the internet, but I can already tell you that it only makes you look bad, noone else.

Except I'm not the only one saying it, Maybe you should open your eyes.

Maybe I should go on about how this is the first gen where I actually do not own a PS system and have no regret, but then who would believe me on this forum anyway! And I'm someone who owned 3 PS2s and bought a psp from Japan at launch for over 400$ on eBay just so I could play ridge racer on the go! Or lined up for over 24 hours in the rain in the cold to buy a PS3!

There are plenty of reasons to mention why some think MS has a better system, but apparently people mentioning Those reasons are always wrong and it always comes down to "exclusives", even if anyone comes up with a compelling argument. Or maybe it's all about that "exclusive" Destiny DLC and "early" COD dlc?

I'll see myself out and go in that other thread that doesn't have too mich shit posting in it before it gets as bad as every other MS thread. It can be quite enjoyable to see all of that positiveness here on gaf, but it never lasts very long!

Zyae

People like to think that console wars actually matter, but they do not. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft do not give a shit beyond having a healthy platform that makes them money.

We're talking about current-gen consoles, are we not? The three services I've mentioned are unique to Xbox, as far as current-gen consoles are concerned.

PS4 only has a limited selection of BC PS2 games. And unlike on Xbox, you have to pay for them even if you own a physical or digital copy.

I hear ya. I own all three so I guess I don't really feel all that invested in any of them (though I kicked a beehive yesterday over not caring about crossplay all that much). Each has its pros and cons. I'd imagine that on gaf, the console that focuses more on games as a service would get the most flak though. You see it on any new game announcement when people start going apeshit if there's no single player. It kind of makes sense people would be a bit down on X1 here. It wouldn't hurt most of us to tone down the hyperbole some though as it leads to conflict.

I agree with everything you say (though crossplay is important to me as a fighting game fan) I own all 3 also and makes it to where I have almost complete freedom of choice of how to play something and what to buy a game on based off the pros and cons. But that also makes the differences more noticeable.
Respect for the hyperbole point out as well. I'm guilty as well for doing it but it has been out of hand on the gaming side for a while.

Wamb0wneD

Except I'm not the only one saying it, Maybe you should open your eyes.

Maybe I should go on about how this is the first gen where I actually do not own a PS system and have no regret, but then who would believe me on this forum anyway! And I'm someone who owned 3 PS2s and bought a psp from Japan at launch for over 400$ on eBay just so I could play ridge racer on the go! Or lined up for over 24 hours in the rain in the cold to buy a PS3!

There are plenty of reasons to mention why some think MS has a better system, but apparently people mentioning Those reasons are always wrong and it always comes down to "exclusives", even if anyone comes up with a compelling argument. Or maybe it's all about that "exclusive" Destiny DLC and "early" COD dlc?

I'll see myself out and go in that other thread that doesn't have too mich shit posting in it before it gets as bad as every other MS thread. It can be quite enjoyable to see all of that positiveness here on gaf, but it never lasts very long!

Saying what, that this forum is full of PS4 fanboys? What a compelling argument. The thing is you didn't bring a single compelling argument so far. Not a single reason why MS has a better system. All you do is bitch about imaginary PS4 fanboys whose only reason to exist is to annoy you and shit into MS related threads.

And yes, exclusive games are the most compelling argument to get a console for the majority of gamers, so they get brought up. That's how it works. Maybe MS should start funding more studios instead of shutting them down or cancelling their games, then less people would complain about these things. But they must be fanboys of something, otherwise they wouldn't bring up anything negative related to MS. Never! I tell you!

See yourself out then. Try to find some echo chamber where you can rant about them pesky PS4 fanboys. They are everywhere!

Edit: Actually I regret trying to have a conversation with someone who writes stuff like this:
and is serious about it. Get help.

ethomaz

Banned
We're talking about current-gen consoles, are we not? The three services I've mentioned are unique to Xbox, as far as current-gen consoles are concerned.

PS4 only has a limited selection of PS2 games. And unlike on Xbox, you have to pay for them even if you own a physical or digital copy.
It still BC... Virtual Console is BC too... they are different but not uniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom