• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget the console wars, all 3 consoles are unique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
People like to think that console wars actually matter, but they do not. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft do not give a shit beyond having a healthy platform that makes them money.

I'd love to tell you this was true...

They're watching each other like hawks all the damn time.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Xbox and PC are extremely similar now (and I don't mean architecture), sharing the same titles. That's not bias to point out.

And it's fine if that's what people like. It's indeed unique from Sony and Nintendo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Last time this was actually true was the PS2/GCN/XBOX generation, with bonus Dreamcast action. 4 unique platforms. Wildly different controllers.

goldenpp72

I don't think they are unique in a good way. I find at least the Xbox has entirely lost its identity, as someone who gathered something like 90k gamerscore on 360 and owns about 800 games across the original Xbox and 360, I simply feel no reason to continue buying Xbox hardware. Hell, i'm a collector and am still struggling to find an excuse to buy any further Xbox One stuff. While I like that the Xbox One X will be powerful, it doesn't seem all that impressive against what PS4 has and likely will still have no exclusives outside of the basics.

My interpretation of each system is so far:

PS4: Broad support from everyone along with a robust first party effort that isn't quite my taste, but a plethora of Japanese titles from third parties and definitive versions of other third parties, makes it the all rounder.

Switch: Nintendo heavies all on one platform vs 2, along with being an ideal place to play many indies.

Xbox: ???????????????

Pancake Mix

Last time this was actually true was the PS2/GCN/XBOX generation, with bonus Dreamcast action. 4 unique platforms. Wildly different controllers.

That gen was multiplat city. Xbox, GC, and PS2 could all handle most games that gen, with few differences. Xbox had the best multiplats almost always, Gamecube in the middle (unless missing content), and PS2 behind the two newer consoles.

If anything this gen is more unique since for major titles since Switch has a massive hardware difference.

The controllers weren't wildly different. Xbox and PS2 controllers were essentially identical (same number of buttons, 2 sticks etc). The Gamecube controller... well frankly I think it sucked! It was still largely the same idea as the other two just lacking in buttons and with a wonky second stick.

Not that I'm disputing that it was the last gen with 3 very different machines. Just the controller thing is a bit strange.

Pancake Mix

The controllers weren't wildly different. Xbox and PS2 controllers were essentially identical (same number of buttons, 2 sticks etc).

No, Xbox had two extra face buttons instead of shoulder bumpers, and the controller was far larger, even after shrinking to the S.

Also the Gamecube controller was great, just needed to be slightly bigger (like the prototype) and have two bumpers. A better c-stick too.

goldenpp72

I disagree. BC on Xbox One is free, it's the only one of its kind in the current-gen space.

While BC is a great feature, it should never be a defining function of your console. The entire Xbox One platform seems to be a desperate act to bring in as much software as possible while not actually making anything new. MS first party output is fucking terrible at this point, coming from the 360 where it was really strong. The 360 had it all, amazing indie support, exclusives all over, and mostly the best multiplatform experiences. Xbox One had a nice start with potential, the new Kinect, exclusives like DR and Sunset overdrive, but it just seems like all the unique exclusives were canceled, delayed, or disappointed.

All MS has for me is Gears and Halo and both of those took a creativity hit this gen as well, I was super stoked for Scalebound and Crackdown 3, and yeah, look where that is going. All i'm seeing with Xbox now is, the same games, but 4k! These old games are BC, look at all this cool functionality! Meanwhile no actual new content.

Digital0Reality

Neo Member
I own all consoles, PS4, Swutch, One and i play on PC, i love games, not platforms.

I think the platforms themselves are continuing to evolve and will become more important going forward. It will be interesting to see what Microsoft can achieve going down that path.

I own a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X and I'll be buying a Switch soon. Although, I'm not gonna lie, I haven't turned on my One S in forever.

While BC is a great feature, it should never be a defining function of your console. The entire Xbox One platform seems to be a desperate act to bring in as much software as possible while not actually making anything new. MS first party output is fucking terrible at this point, coming from the 360 where it was really strong. The 360 had it all, amazing indie support, exclusives all over, and mostly the best multiplatform experiences. Xbox One had a nice start with potential, the new Kinect, exclusives like DR and Sunset overdrive, but it just seems like all the unique exclusives were canceled, delayed, or disappointed.

All MS has for me is Gears and Halo and both of those took a creativity hit this gen as well, I was super stoked for Scalebound and Crackdown 3, and yeah, look where that is going. All i'm seeing with Xbox now is, the same games, but 4k! These old games are BC, look at all this cool functionality! Meanwhile no actual new content.

I can't disagree with most of what you said, but I am looking forward to a few exclusive titles on the Xbox side. And I actually mentioned three unique features in my original post.

KageMaru

I don't know if the PS4 and Xbox is entirely unique from each other. Both have benefits but both can cater to a similar market. Still I've enjoyed owning both systems and like the option to play what I want on the system I want.

Neither of these are unique...

Game Pass, EA Access, Plus, etc are not unique services. BC is not unique too because even PS4 has it own BC... Wii U has BC... Switch will probably have soon.

What XB1 add that can't be found in any other place?

Don't do this. If the options aren't available on the other systems, that would be something unique to the system.

ethomaz

Banned
I disagree. BC on Xbox One is free, it's the only one of its kind in the current-gen space.
Last gen online on PS3 was free but it was not unique... it was the same service that you paid on Live.

It is different but not an unique feature because you have the same option (paid or not) on the others platforms.

Don't do this. If the options aren't available on the other systems, that would be something unique to the system.
There are indeed options available in others platforms.

Game Pass or EA Access = Plus
XB1's BC = PS2 to PS4 or Virtual Console

I dont really agree that PS4 and XB1 are that different at all as far as it comes to the consoles themselves. What I do think is different is the manufacturers priorities. Sony is very much focused on the Software side of things where as Microsoft is heavily pushing Services and ecosystem. Those different focuses appeal to different sorts of people. THe question then becomes do you prefer a wider more diverse range of gaming options are are you more interested in the big third party releases with a more developed ecosystem and platform specific services.

No, Xbox had two extra face buttons instead of shoulder bumpers, and the controller was far larger, even after shrinking to the S.

Also the Gamecube controller was great, just needed to be slightly bigger (like the prototype) and have two bumpers. A better c-stick too.

The Duke was a very different shape/size (reminiscent of the Dreamcast really) but the S controller (which really was the norm for most of the consoles life) wasn't really massively different from the Dual Shock in my mind. Swap some triggers for face buttons, eh, same basic ideas and same number of buttons overall. I actually really liked the S controller.

Cube controller... ehhhh... no love from me.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Cool

And I own all 3. And the reason why? Because I love video games.
And you have a ton of disposable income...

No OP, I don't see the value of owning PC, PS4 and Xbone at the same time, all three offer basically the same experience, with PC being the superior to me.

A few exclusive games don't change that fact.

Yeap... that could be one thing.

These services are not unique... it is same to say the OS is unique when it is not all consoles has an OS... they are different but they are OSs.

You can like Game Pass or EA Access over Plus but they are basically the same thing.

hence the edit

It still BC... Virtual Console is BC too... they are different but not uniques.

more like BS.

Nintendo's handling of the Virtual Console has been terrible.

People like to think that console wars actually matter, but they do not. Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft do not give a shit beyond having a healthy platform that makes them money.

literally no corporation on the planet thinks this way.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
People citing BC as an xbox bonus, you are aware the vast majority of these games are available on PC too?

Console wars are pointless and sad though, I agree

Last gen online on PS3 was free but it was not unique... it was the same service that you paid on Live.

It is different but not an unique feature because you have the same option (paid or not) on the others platforms.

If one doesn't offer the option that makes it unique :facepalm:

kubev

Microsoft stripped Xbox One of most of what made it unique prior to launch or early in its life. I did find it interesting that they mentioned Kinect because of the re-release of those three games targeting kids, though, so maybe there's hope that Microsoft will start to pursue some of what it had originally planned for the console in a more consumer-friendly manner.

People citing BC as an xbox bonus, you are aware the vast majority of these games are available on PC too?

It's a bonus to people who were already heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem. Yeah, a lot of them are available on PC, but Xbox 360 owners don't necessarily own the PC versions.

Not really seeing what, if any, gaming experience is unique to XboxOne. Even with XboxOneX on the horizon, PC is still the superior platform for multiplats and PS4 and/or the Switch are the superior consoles for exclusives. I'd encourage anyone considering purchasing the OneX (who isn't already heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem) to make the jump to PC if they can afford it.

Op i appreciated what you were trying to do, but this is now console warz the thread, i homestly dont think itd be such a bad thing to have a thread devoted to letting people fight it out

CookTrain

Op i appreciated what you were trying to do, but this is now console warz the thread, i homestly dont think itd be such a bad thing to have a thread devoted to letting people fight it out

That's every thread. It would have been nice to have people being unilaterally positive for once.

Ushay

I own Xbox and Switch, sold my PC many moons ago and skipped PS4 in favour of Pro down the line.

It's always been about gaming, getting those awesome moments where an RPG inspires or a horror game scares the shit outta me (looking at you Alien Isolation..).

PetrCobra

If we're talking about hardware, Switch is probably the only console I can imagine buying specifically for that. Now games, that's all about personal preferences. One could probably find enough games to keep themselves entertained on each single platform if they don't exclusively play specific genres, although Switch is still too young for that to be true - maybe in one year.

My personal preference is with Nintendo because I'm not too fond of dumbed-down-PC multiplatform machines, then again I'd love to see all the third parties on Switch, so maybe that's just hypocritical of me. It's true that I like Nintendo games too much to leave it for anything else though.
Sea of Thieves was the last game I saw that made me consider an XBox. Can't really say I'm interested in PS4 although I'd like to play Horizon to see if it's really as good as people say, besides looking cool. At the end of the day, if I had enough money to make any spending on videogames marginal, I'd own everything, and that's really the only way if one can afford it.

Khrno

I'm perfectly fine with my high-end PC, Nintendo consoles and Sony consoles, and I'm not missing on anything at all that I care about.

Thank you very much for saving me money MS by giving up on the Japanese market.

Indelible

I did own all the consoles but I just sold my Xbox One and all of my games, it just dosen't have enough exclusive content and anything that I do want can be played on PC.

KageMaru

I really don't care to debate with you because it's clear you have an issue seeing this objectively. Those aren't accurate or even good comparisons. Gold = Plus, not Gamepass or EA Access. Also free BC =/= buying older emulated games.

I'm not saying any is better than the rest, but it's naive to think that each console doesn't have something to offer to consumers.

Ascenion

Honestly Xbox needs to figure out it's identity crisis. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Does it want to be more of a service like steam? Or an outright console like PlayStation. You can't be both as you cannabalize the other. Xbox needs exclusives to be unique in the console space. This Xbox One/PC exclusive shit isn't good enough. Every reason to buy an Xbox is also a reason to say fuck it I can get a PC. It has the best UI of the bunch, it's the only truly next gen feeling console compared to the PSWii60 era, it just lacks identity which can only be found in exclusives. What can I only play on Xbox One released in the last 2-3 years? Exactly.

Unless you have the cash to buy all the consoles you're making a choice. You do that by comparing what's available, and then choosing the one that you feel is best for you. That comparison and choice will always be enough to generate 'console wars'.

For me it was purely about games, no interest in services or the games Microsoft had on offer (and weren't on PS4) and I've ended up with a Switch and a PS4. Never looked back and PUBG exclusivity is the first time I'd ever considered saving up for an XB1.

Also, competition is good for consumers. These rivalries are what stoke the fires under the assets of companies and why Sony is better now as a result of last gen.

DrkSage

X6W_-BDAdv2GcYV2d91zkY72bBU=.gif
rick-morty-race-war.gif

That's every thread. It would have been nice to have people being unilaterally positive for once.

Just remember that your life is probably more positive than the grown adults arguing for a consumer product online with a passion that is, at best, embarrassing.

Also, hop over into a community thread for stuff. Those are usually better. It's all I can tolerate anymore.

While this great and all. There is one question that doesn't get asked enough, is there enough room for 3 different home consoles in the market? Other then the Wii/360/PS3, most gens have a clear winner and everyone else falling flat. The same can be said for the handheld market.

This gen, the PS4 was the clear market leader from Day 1 and there was just no room for the Xbox One. The Switch is a little different because we have never really seen a hybrid before.

Mr_Moogle

PC and Switch are platforms which set themselves apart.

PS4 is a like a low-mid range PC with some very good exclusives.

Xbox is like a PS4 without the exclusives.

VariantX

What is unique about the xbox?

The only feather in Microsoft's cap over Sony and Nintendo currently is the extensive backwards compatibility support. That's a huge thing to have access to the 360's library of software to go with your new stuff if you already owned a 360. If i bought an Xbox one today, I'd have 50-60 games on it ready to go simply because I had a large digital and physical 360 software library .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom