• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Mozilla CTO: "Chrome won."

I think they're all mostly the same these days, Chrome just entered the market when browsers were absolute garbage, and really moved the landscape forward. I suppose it's kept it's momentum. Shame about Mozilla though, I've got respect for the company.

Windam

Scaley member
Just can't get used to Chrome. Always uninstall any Chromium based browser after like 15 minutes. Even on Android, I'll disable/remove Chrome if I can and get the fox. Firefox 4ever!

linkboy

I've tried to go back to Firefox, but it's just to hard to give up the integration between my phone (Nexus 6P) and laptop that Chrome provides.

I use Chrome because it's the best browser. I've been using Chrome since the first public beta and have no intention of switching to anything else. One day I may. Ages ago I didnt think I'd switch from Firefox. Before that, I didn't think I'd switch from Opera (ad supported early opera at the time with the huge ad in the top right!). And there was an age that I switched back to Internet Explorer for a spell. But I've been consistently on Chrome since late 2008.

Now it's just too much a part of my workflow. I'm only multiple computers, multiple operating systems, and multiple devices throughout the day, so Chrome is the most consistent, reliable browser that works on all of those *and* keeps everything synced up. Coupled with the developer tools that I've just grown more accustomed to, I don't think i'll switch for some time. One day, maybe, but doubtful.

Why aren't you using your real name and a photo of you here?

These aren't remotely comparable.

I mostly trust/don't-care what Google does with my data in exchange for free services that I like using.

You, on the other hand, provide me no services and hell na I don't trust you with my data.

gabbo

Opera 13 was gutted because it was basically an alpha version of a new browser since they switched engines. I'm very glad we have Vivaldi now. I doubt they'll build in an IRC client again but a man can dream.

Moving away from Presto was a dumb idea. I have no idea what number Opera is on (I left for good at ...23 I think? Hard to remember Updates were flying out ever week), but it's soul was lost after 12.

Opera on mobile is still pretty good from what ive seen though. Oddly enough

andthebeatgoeson

That Google integration tho.

Google maps still the goat.

Gmail still the goat

Google drive is a good free cloud

Google docs is serviceable

Google calendars is great

And they all work well with each other.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

And that's how Firefox died.

Firefox had too many memory issues. It is ridiculous that it only lasts a certain amount of time before it inevitably crashes. I used it for a very long time and indeed there are some plugins/ add ons that keep me using it irregularly but Chrome has indeed become my main browser.

And I welcome my google overlords.

This, pretty much. I used Firefox for as long as I could stand the constant memory issues. It seemed every time it was 'fixed' it'd just be back to broken soon after. I got tired of it.

Gmail still the goat

but google knows my name and address i could never

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What's wrong with safari on iOS?

Yeah... I feel like Safari on iOS IS super efficient and stable.

Good memory management, smooth performance, good ad block, good battery life.

akira28

Gmail still the goat

I think the only one of those I use is the maps. So basically if you're a google customer, chrome is right for you because of app integration. If you're not a google customer, you're basically using a browser that eats up your ram like doritos.

rrs

wait when did chrome become the ram hog, that's half of the reason I ditched firefox in the first place

ESBL

I use Safari and Firefox on my Mac; Chrome was always shit on OS X for some reason just hogged all my RAM (10GB on my Mac) and the fans would go crazy for some reason.

Sheroking

LMFAO I bet you also use Betamax and HD-DVD.

This is a weird response.

Like 9 different companies founded Blu-Ray and more than two dozen manufacture players. There's also tons of competition from digital storefronts and streaming services.

His decision not to use Chrome to oppose a potential monopoly is in no way comparable to that.

yyr

I went through the first two page of the thread and see that nobody correctly identified the actual cause of the transition to Chrome: the fact that it is installed automatically with Flash and Java updates unless you uncheck a box, which virtually no one does.

This was brilliant.

I left Firefox for Chrome during the bloaty era a couple of years ago now. Unfortunately it's no longer possible to return to Firefox as the de-facto Android browser is Chrome and that syncs with my desktop Chrome and all my Google account stuff. I don't miss it, Chrome is just too convenient with how it keeps everything synced everywhere on all devices and computers I care to use.

ESBL

I went through the first two page of the thread and see that nobody correctly identified the actual cause of the transition to Chrome: the fact that it is installed automatically with Flash and Java updates unless you uncheck a box, which virtually no one does.

This was brilliant.

So what you're saying I'm smarter than most users here?

Ploid 3.0

I'm still using Firefox

Same, I forgot what made me drop Chrome, I think it had gif problems on gaf and any other site so I just moved to Firefox fully. Gifs are serious business, especially around E3.

I left Firefox for Chrome during the bloaty era a couple of years ago now. Unfortunately it's no longer possible to return to Firefox as the de-facto Android browser is Chrome and that syncs with my desktop Chrome and all my Google account stuff. I don't miss it, Chrome is just too convenient with how it keeps everything synced everywhere on all devices and computers I care to use.

I also use Firefox on my android phone, synced to my desktop. For mail and such I use the different apps, and I can access them in firefox easily. The only thing that would make me want a browser over another are the addon. Maybe one would have an addon that was too good to live without.

yyr

So what you're saying I'm smarter than most users here?

No, I'm saying that most computer users are oblivious to those checkboxes or their effects.

I think we can assume that most NeoGAF members are smarter than the average computer user. Think about how many people use computers.

Somnid

Chrome is designed to utilize RAM for performance. Looking at your task manager number and thinking it looks big is misunderstanding what modern software is doing. Chrome scales down to devices with 1GB and less, hell they're even optimizing RAM usage on low end with the new Ignition interpreter but there is a trade off for doing that.

Ploid 3.0

I use Firefox, but mostly due to the fact it's the only platform that still allows NoScripts to function.

I remember when this thing was required for me because of a game's community site hosted ADs that ran malicious scripts which could somehow steal your login for that game (Final Fantasy XI).

MIMIC

Banned
I used to hate Chrome (by brother tried to force it on me a few years ago) but I switched over from Firefox last year. It just felt less stiff.

I still hate how it doesn't remember my history as well as Firefox does when I start typing in the URL bar. But other than that, I love it.

danthefan

I use Chrome tbh but I'm a bit sad to see Firefox crashing like that, I used to use it a lot. I switched to Chrome about a year back and I've no regrets though.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm a FF lifer, never used Chrome until this week. The reason was that our work laptop security card only supports an old version of IE and Chrome, and got fed up of email authentication for certain sites.

I'm less than impressed by Chrome compared to FF. It just seems slow and unintuitive. Like, I really shouldn't have to download an extension to give me a sensible bookmark menu.

LewieP

I'm a little surprised Safari isn't higher, but I guess a lot of mobile users don't use a web browser all that much, just apps.

I use Chrome on my PC, phone and iPad. Chrome on iOS isn't the best (at least on my iPad Mini 2), but I prefer the UI to Safari, and I use syncing with google for lots of things.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
On my Mac Chrome can't even run eBay without shitting itself.

Chrome shits itself using the Xbox website.

Safari runs both flawlessly. Chrome is shite.

Sinfamy

Unfortunately what happens when they spend their resources on adding shit nobody asked for instead of focusing on speed.

Firefox breaks on me way too often, and some sites I visit are no longer optimizing their code for it and made me switch to chrome, so no surprising. It will prob be dead by next year.

Sheroking

Switched from Firefox to Waterfox to Chrome and will probably find my way back to Waterfox because Chrome likes to freeze up on me while I scroll too much on YouTube videos.

n0razi

I use the big 3 (FF, Edge, Chrome)... they each have their uses. I dont see why anyone would restrict themselves to a single browser when they are all free.

Edge is the speed/resource king and has the best touch interface when im using my convertible laptop
Chrome is the most stable
Firefox has a few indispensable plugins you cant get anywhere else

Whenever I've tried Firefox, even just a base install with no extensions/add-ons, the UI always seems to chug. Opening just a handful of tabs and trying to browse at the same time is always a no-no but it's never been an issue with Chrome.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Does anyone have an issue with Chrome using like 30-50% cpu (i7 5820k) here or use like 6 gigs of RAM with just a few tabs open

Ceres

Banned
I have no browser allegiance. Firefox has some features that I make it my main browser and add-ons I use for work but any non work site I visit brings the browser to a crawl. Chrome doesn't usually have that issue. But when I use streaming sites like fox sports and ESPN at home, IE is the only one that doesn't seem to stutter

Arex

Firefox on desktop because I can scroll tabs. can't stand the tiny tabs on chrome.

Chrome on mobile because it came with the phone I guess. :[

Top Bottom