• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 ┇ 2024 ┇ Plan N for Next Season™

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Because Max is talented and doesn’t spend 100% of his time in meetings (or doing whatever you think he should be doing) somehow liberty media is to blame, and the sport is in shambles? As if you know better than him and his team. Wow.
This doesn’t track and it doesn’t follow, there’s no logic here.

Edit.
Also, time zones are a thing. He was keeping to an internal clock based on UK time, no need to get up at 6 am if the race isn’t until 8pm local time.
Also this

Still defending Max, even though I said he’s done nothing wrong. Weird.

Yes, the sport is in a shambles. Has been for years.

What do you guys think of the whole “ Andretti buying Alpine”?

Personally I’d like to see redbulls second team, visa racing bulls or whatever the hell they decided to call it this season, gone, and make way for another actual manufacturer.
Also, I wouldn’t be sad to see Haas go either.

6am gang reporting in

JBDCqM2.gif

xrnzaaas

Danny Ric needs to get sacked from Toro Rosso and go back to doing his marketing duties for Red Bull, dude is past his prime no matter what Horner keeps saying.

Sainz on other hand is doing a good job to make Red Bull and Merc (and Audi) notice him.

Last edited:
It'd make sense for Audi to poach Smooth Operator as his father has built a good relationship with them via his Dakar Rally escapades. Like father like son.

Raven117

Danny Ric needs to get sacked from Toro Rosso and go back to doing his marketing duties for Red Bull, dude is past his prime no matter what Horner keeps saying.

Sainz on other hand is doing a good job to make Red Bull and Merc (and Audi) notice him.
I mean…. Perhaps give him a till the half way point, but it does seem that he just won’t be able to “make it back.” He needs to hop on the whole “personality” train (like being a commentator… color man) and strike while he is still a name.

There are too many promising young drivers in the ranks for anyone that isn’t pulling their weight and meeting expectations to hang around.

Silly season this year is going to be wild.

Phobos Base

Penalty for Alonso for causing the Russell crash as well, can we just give Max the championship now and let him sit out the rest of the season?

cormack12

Gold Member
Sainz is really doing well. This is the only way Max doesn't win a race basically and the RBR is so reliable thus is a freak event

xrnzaaas

The harshness of Alonso's penalty was very surprising. I understand they analyzed the telemetry and saw him do unusual coasting, but you can bet your ass there wouldn't be an investigation if that wasn't a factor in Russell crashing his car.

Good race overall. Sucks for Oscar not being able to score a podium and Albon finishing outside of the points even with 3 faster cars DNFing. I really hope Carlos gets picked up by Red Bull or Merc next season instead of going to Sauber/Audi and hoping for good seasons from 2026 onwards.

Last edited:
Mercedes looked horrible, it’s sad to see.

Also didn’t this exact same thing happen last time max didn’t win - Sainz won and Russell crashes? Strange times lol

DJ12

The harshness of Alonso's penalty was very surprising. I understand they analyzed the telemetry and saw him do unusual coasting, but you can bet your ass there wouldn't be an investigation if that wasn't a factor in Russell crashing his car.

Good race overall. Sucks for Oscar not being able to score a podium and Albon finishing outside of the points even with 3 faster cars DNFing. I really hope Carlos gets picked up by Red Bull or Merc next season instead of going to Sauber/Audi and hoping for good seasons from 2026 onwards.
If you read the report, Alonso admitted to braking, coasting and changing down gears, all in a section that's flat out.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Yeah, I didn't know about the (additional) braking back then. I won't argue and it is definitely dangerous in a fast section like this one (and worthy of a bigger penalty).

I assume Aston realized that as well and didn't even try with the appeal.

Last edited:
In my opinion, I think Alonso was under pressure from Russell and he used all his knowledge of years of racing to break/coast to the corner and caught Russell out. Was it a 20sec penalty no 5sec maybe. But still the more experienced driver caught out the younger/up his own hole driver.

I bet some people at Ferrari are not fans of firing Carlos to make room for Lewis. It's a difficult situation overall. I can understand not saying no to a 7 time world champion who finally wants to drive for your team, but they're getting rid of the driver who's on top of their game.
It's a bizarre situation. Did you see how many Ferrari members congratulated Carlos at Parc Ferme? Not a lot.

Phobos Base

A crazy stat I saw today was that since 2014, there have only been 3 podiums that didn't feature Mercedes and/or Red Bull. No one is at the top forever, but this domination feels far great than anything in the 80's or 90's.

I’ve seen those numbers floating around too, haven’t looked into it myself, is that really true?
Puts things in perspective.
At the end of the day I was never a Mercedes fan anyway (except the W11 which is just amazing) I just want Lewis to break Schumacher’s record and get that 8th world title. And doing it with Ferrari would be amazing. One last season of domination and then immediately retire lol. It would also make for a great “phoenix rising from the ashes” story of Lewis being humbled by Mercedes 22-24 cars and then being born again at Ferrari in 25 for one final championship drive. Couldn’t write a better story. And seeing Max and Lewis battle it out all season would be great racing as well.

Top Bottom