• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

They look so much better.

Love that Nando with bigger tyres and a ton more df still gets the tail out.

Any footage of cars following each other closely? They do seem very planted but I do hope they're at least able to follow each other without losing all front end grip leading to even longer processions

Yeah Lewis mentioned it wasn't great following someone, and they are still a but slower than they will actually be going.

Hopefully its not like the last few years where if you followed that close your tyres just gave up, so it was better to just sit 3 secs back and cruise.

Aiii

So not worth it
b1e23dfb-00f9-4cfe-bb28-4e1f7ac29d02_800.jpg

Dilly

Banned
Does Honda jus design and build something without testing it?

What a bunch of fucking amateurs, why do they even bother.

Mohonky

I think we've jumped the shark, we've bypassed shark fins to full on sails by the look of it. Put them at a slighter angle and you wont nees an engine to gain speed, the wind will do enough.

DBT85

A remainder of the times

Day 1 2017
zPnYKsf.jpg

Best time from 2016 day 1 testing
1m24.939

Best time from 2016 testing
1m22.765s

Circuit de Catalunya Race Lap Record
1:21.670 (Kimi Räikkönen, Ferrari, 2008)

Circuit de Catalunya Quali Lap Record
1:19.995 (Mark Webber, Red Bull RB6, 2010)

New day and the McLaren didn't even make it out of the pit lane this time.

Just amazing

c230742e-cd4f-4d36-a206-6da687137de4_800.jpg

The T-wing is multiplying.

Looking like a TV aerial. Wonder how many we'll see by the end of testing.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Gary Anderson thinks that Honda has a major issue at their hands

To discover it on an installation lap at lower speeds suggests it’s a fundamental problem. The oil tank is vital to the engine and something most teams have a very good understanding of and very good test rigs to simulate all the forces and flows. So for McLaren and Honda to come to the first test session with a potential problem is a concern. It seems they are still missing out on the basics

DBT85

Why is bottas driving a merc again? Christ...

Its Lewis this morning.

Or do you mean in general? He's well regarded and easier to pry out at short notice than anyone you could say was probably better, Max, Danny, Nando or Jesus. But it's also why he only got a 1 year contract.

Provided he keeps Lewis honest in quali and races I think Merc will renew.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
bbc said:
Dan Knutson
F1 journalist in Barcelona
Posted at
08:48
Honda’s “oil system” problem that kept Fernando Alonso’s McLaren in the garage for much of yesterday was indeed caused by the shape of the oil tank which did not allow the oil to be properly scavenged.

The tank was modified prior to the first day of the test, but the problem persisted.

Further modifications were made to the tank last night.

3 years in and Honda still can't make an engine that works let alone wins...embarrassing

Zaru

I'm not convinced Stroll is going to be the next Verstappen, friends.

Maybe not, but let's not pretend Max didn't make quite a few silly driving mistakes himself.
He just overshadows them with occasional moments of brilliance.

DBT85

Lewis sets a 1:21.766 on the second lap of this stint. 0.001 slower than yesterdays best time.

Red Bull rocking funky rims
58b53c9bc3af89e3813a17df1da9c248b13c8db82eae1.jpg

DBT85

09:52 It's interesting that Hamilton has produced the fastest time of the day so far at the start of a long run on soft tyres, and it gives us a potential insight into what the Mercedes could be capable with on low fuel. If he did that 1m21.7s with around 80kg of fuel on board that would be worth around 2.4 seconds - so a 21.7s becomes a 19.3s. If he had a race-starting fuel load of closer to 100kg then the potential lap time could be even faster. It's unlikely Mercedes would do a long run like this on a much lower fuel load, as teams need to learn about the tyres when they are under the most stress, and that comes early in a race when the cars are heavy.
Gary Anderson

Hamilton just finished that stint, 19 laps.

Aiii

So not worth it
The guy is doing his first laps in an F1 car. I think Max blew up an engine on his first practice in Japan.

The guy has been doing a ridiculous amount of laps for months in F1 cars on Daddy's dime.

Also, blowing up an engine and spinning because you're accelerating on a white line aren't quite the same thing.

Of course, I was only making a joke, so no reason to take it that seriously :)

Aiii

So not worth it
How about we wait for the first couple of races, before we start judging his talent from our comfy armchairs?

Can I make fun of him after that, though? I'd enjoy that. Can I build up a credit and joke about him before that, we can deduct it afterwards?

RSP

Oh well, no matter how he does, he's here to stay for at least a decade. I'm sure his dad will just buy a team at some point to make sure he can continue to race.

On the other hand, would be cool to see more of the young people on top. Same goes for Ocon btw.

Zaru

Sochi just got confirmed until 2025 and they're considering making it a night race if they can find local (russian) companies to do the required work.

DBT85

The guy is doing his first laps in an F1 car. I think Max blew up an engine on his first practice in Japan.

Ha. Daddy has been paying for him to do a ton of laps in cars. At the end of the day, if hes fast enough he's fast enough. That his dad is a billionaire won't have anything to do with the raw talent.

He also embarked on a round-the-world test program with a 2014 Williams, supported by a staff of 20, five Mercedes engineers and two engines prepared specifically by Mercedes. Stroll's F1 test program went to Silverstone, Hungary, Monza, Austria, Barcelona, Abu Dhabi, Austin and Sochi.

Williams' Pat Symonds admits: "The last rookie with that many kilometers of testing for his debut was Jacques Villeneuve."

Not only that, Lawrence Stroll paid for a new high-tech simulator at Williams' race shop, which Williams F1 drivers Bottas and Felipe Massa could not use throughout the year as it was calibrated for F3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom