• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgreez

But wax said... Come on now it's early days. Mclaren used to make huge turnarounds in the early 00's all the way through till 2012 (not back of the grid to front but at least midfield to race winner if not front runner)

Ark

But wax said... Come on now it's early days. Mclaren used to make huge turnarounds in the early 00's all the way through till 2012 (not back of the grid to front but at least midfield to race winner if not front runner)

The question isn't really about McLaren's ability, but more so whether or not the Honda PU can facilitate the level of improvement the team needs.

Mastah

"The G forces are definitely higher. The load on the drivers is a considerable amount more than before. It is a lot more physical.

"I was always trying to pick up the speed through the corners and you have to drive a little bit different. It is a beast. It is so much better than last year."

"Normally you have a lot of degradation in these tyres but these ones don't," he said. "But there is not a lot of performance at the beginning of the tyre. They are very consistent, hard tyres. There is not a big difference from early on to later. There is a bit of a drop-off but not massive."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39103411

Zeknurn

Sounds like Pirelli has succeeded in making the tyres that people wanted. It's going to be interesting to see if makes for better racing.

krang

Yes and I and others have shown that this year they have taken a different approach to testing staying on harder tyres no silly time on softer tyres. We are trying to show you that they're aren't following the trend

And yet, despite the different approach, they're close to the top of the time sheets. Arguably ahead when you factor in tyre choice. I never pointed out why they were towards the top, only that they were, and that is a trait of their testing over the past few years.

Pointing out that fact didn't require you to get all sensitive about it. Seriously - what's the problem? What did I say that was worth telling me what I was saying was "shit"? Are you really that sensitive about people's opinions of Ferrari, because if that's the case I'd advise you stay out of this and all other F1 threads.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lewis
“Today is really just about ticking off the list, all the checkpoints with the car, and getting mileage for reliability. In the days to come we’ll start to improve the car.”

Bottas
“The lap time we don’t really care about – we are doing the lap count and mileage,”
“We did more than a race distance, which is good for the first morning, and everything was working good. In the second week, it’s going to be much more interesting in terms of where we are compared to the others.”

Mastah

C5shRT4WUAAZq5k.jpg:large

Zaru

Sauber realized they have a Brawn-level car and put on more sandbags than Mercedes did in the last 3 years combined

Aiii

So not worth it
What's up with Sauber? That's REALLY slow. It's almost like Eriksson coasted through the speed trap.

They run last years engine, and a cheap chassis. Not that surprising, especially this year with the big engine developments. Running a 2016 engine was a mistake.

BigAl1992

They run last years engine, and a cheap chassis. Not that surprising, especially this year with the big engine developments. Running a 2016 engine was a mistake.

I know both points, but even then, we're talking a gap of 60 km/h at least to the McLaren, and that was due to a fault with the oil tank, and around 90 km/h to the Red Bull. That's a major performance gap. Even Manor were close to the back of the grid last year, and they were more Minardi than Mercedes.

Google

Guys,

I'm going to get back on the F1 bandwagon.

I need suggestions for sites/blogs to follow to keep up to date with all the politicking (which is more fun than the racing at times).

Thanks,

Google.

Ark

Guys,

I need suggestions for sites/blogs to follow to keep up to date with all the politicking (which is more fun than the racing at times).

Thanks,

Google.

The only website you need.

It's worth following Scarbs on Twitter too.

F1 Fanatic has loads of great picture dumps (and great content too)

Will Buxton's blog is pretty good. I only ever go to Reddit r/F1 when I'm bored because the fanboy bullshit in there drives me insane. I'll be the first to admit that I am an absolute snob when it comes to F1 news, most media outlets just treat the sport as a boys racing game.

Guys,

Thanks,

Google.
I really like gpupdate.net. They have a race calendar, clock for the race start that let's you switch it to your local time and driver and team points all on the right side of the main page. The also live blog the weekends, in case that you can't watch it.

Ark

Man...Autosport, eh?

My Dad used to (maybe still does?) subscribe to Autosport magazine. He had hundreds of the things sitting around the house in the 90's and 00's.

I used to like the little cartoon F1 drivers with the big heads. What was that called?

Idk about the magazine, but I've only ever read the stuff they put on their website. I even bought a subscription so I could read their Autosport Plus stuff.

If you want decent, unbiased F1 news, you'll get it from Autosport. They're one of the few places that will give you that.

The only downside of Autosport is Gary Anderson.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Guys,

Thanks,

Google.

F1Fanatic for me. It's independent, fun and full of great content.

Zaru

Hah, even Ted is calling it the Pingu nose.

Newey is saying Red Bull is trying to keep the aero simple at the beginning to properly understand the flow, BEFORE putting all the aero appendages on
So yeah they are coming.

I loved Toto's reaction when Ted told him that Nico basically dumped him.

"... You know, I never saw it that way. [...] Now you put something into my head."

Aiii

So not worth it
Hah, even Ted is calling it the Pingu nose.

Newey is saying Red Bull is trying to keep the aero simple at the beginning to properly understand the flow, BEFORE putting all the aero appendages on
So yeah they are coming.

Loved Newey's insights, but yeah, that was really interesting. Getting well hyped to see what they can do.

If you want decent, unbiased F1 news, you'll get it from Autosport. They're one of the few places that will give you that.

I am afraid that is no longer the case. In October 2016, Motorsport.com bought Autosport. And the chairman of Motorsport.com is none other than Zak Brown. Yes the new CEO of McLaren Honda is also the chairman of the biggest motorsports news website. So lets see if the news remains unbiased or not.

Ark

I am afraid that is no longer the case. In October 2016, Motorsport.com bought Autosport. And the chairman of Motorsport.com is none other than Zak Brown. Yes the new CEO of McLaren Honda is also the chairman of the biggest motorsports news website. So lets see if the news remains unbiased or not.

I'm aware ;)

I haven't seen anything from them that has made me doubt their neutrality though.

Razgreez

Any footage of cars following each other closely? They do seem very planted but I do hope they're at least able to follow each other without losing all front end grip leading to even longer processions

Any footage of cars following each other closely? They do seem very planted but I do hope they're at least able to follow each other without losing all front end grip leading to even longer processions

Early impressions from a few drivers, including Hamilton, is that's it's not looking good. Unsurprising really, since the mandate was for better looking, and much faster. As happy as I am to see wide cars and tires back, I think it was very shortsighted of them to not address passing friendlier aero rules.

It certainly smells of old regime, and something Ross and company will have to clean up. Hopefully he can get that group of habitual feet draggers to not insist on a pre-summit summit for the summer summit where they're finally able to discuss rule changes for the betterment of the sport. Just fix things in a timely manner, pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom