• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Pre-Season |OT| The Ferrari is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

Chris Medland‏ @ChrisMedlandF1 1m1 minute ago

Heard a whisper we might see a Mercedes on supersofts today. At the very least will be interesting to see gain compared to softs

Zeknurn

Another nice picture.
IQE6W9K.jpg

Theorry

"I've just spent a bit of time standing by the pitlane exit where the drivers do their practice starts and you can get a good look at the cars. Of the top three teams, the Red Bull is the most basic car. There's nothing trick on there and it's all smooth surfaces so I expect there will be parts to come there. If I was writing a development list for the big teams, I would say Mercedes needs to concentrate on the bargeboard area, as although it has a sophisticated arrangement it hasn't fully exploited what is possible. For Ferrari, the focus would be on the diffuser. For Red Bull, it would be both areas.
Gary Anderson"

DBT85

Looks like HAM finished another strong stint. Bottas takes the afternoon shift, right?

Yep. Lewis has done 55 laps with 35 mins to go.

Bearing in mind he's set 2 laps today and 1 yesterday, all within 0.007 of each other, I'm wondering if he's almost driving to a target time.

Aiii

So not worth it
I very much think RBR is not going to run any aero on their car all through testing. They're sandbagging their way to Australia, I believe.
I hope.

Mastah

Chris Medland‏ @ChrisMedlandF1 6m6 minutes ago

Stood on the inside of Turn 9, Hamilton and Kvyat have both taken it flat (but not every lap). Verstappen out now on softs too

Meanwhile at McLaren :/

Andrew Benson‏ @andrewbensonf1 17s17 seconds ago

Not going well at McLaren. Engine lost power. Honda don't know why yet. Are changing engine to investigate fully.

Hamilton 1:20.983 on supersofts.

DBT85

Lewis goes into the 1:20s with a 1:20.983 on Super Softs.

Set the best first and second sectors of the day but didn't match his PB in the third.

8/10ths faster than the best time from yesterday.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
'Honda don't know why yet'
That could be their tagline for their Formula 1 department.
Isn't this now 3 engines in 2 days? Utterly fucking awful. Surely the engineers at McLaren are wishing that Honda never re-entered the sport as all they have done is set back the team by 5 years.

I'm close to writing off this season as a McLaren fan and it's only day 2 of testing. Fucking Honda.

Edit: That Mercedes is ominous. The time on the Super Soft included a bad last sector too so plenty of time in hand. Very much laying down the gauntlet.

Leonsito

McLaren using 3 engines in 1.5 days, when they have to use 4 for the entire season.

And their oil tank is badly designed and oil doesn't flow properly, incredible.

Zaru

Do they have any ultras to play with?

There's not much use in testing the fastest available tyre before you're even confident in the car.
Barcelona normally has softs as the softest tyre, ultrasofts would get shredded under any notable load.

It's interesting how Ferrari are following Mercedes template from last year and pretty much only using one harder compound, while Merc is trying out most of the softer ones.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's interesting how Ferrari are following Mercedes template from last year and pretty much only using one harder compound, while Merc is trying out most of the softer ones.

Mercedes last year were ultra confident whenever they used mediums because of their testing, but notably cautious when using anything else.

Extensive testing of mediums plays the odds (aren't they the most used compound over a season?) but they need a more broad understanding.

Stop It

I think we've got much further to go on the times tbh, for all cars.
At least another second and a half I reckon.

But the fact is that again, the Mercedes is reliable, and first setting quick times. If anyone was hoping they would drop the ball with the new regulations their hopes are pretty much dashed.

It's for the other teams, especially RBR and Ferrari to show they too have progressed over winter.

chadskin

@tgruener:
Williams will not run anymore today. Car was damaged after Stroll went off track in turn 9. More spare parts needed from the factory. #AMuS

Aiii

So not worth it
I think now is a good time to state once more. Testing times mean literally nothing.

That's not to say Mercedes aren't going to be the team to beat, of course they are, but RBR isn't behind FI and Haas because they got it wrong, for instance.

Stop It

I think now is a good time to state once more. Testing times mean literally nothing.

That's not to say Mercedes aren't going to be the team to beat, of course they are, but RBR isn't behind FI and Haas because they got it wrong, for instance.
Obviously! The headline times are meaningless but there's lots that can be gleaned from testing.

I can't speak for others but this isn't my first rodeo. I realised a couple of years ago that I've been following F1 for over 20 years, which scared me at the time.

John_B

Some teams are behind on schedule and some teams are ahead. It's only really McLaren that has me worried at this point.

DBT85

Agreed.

The only thing I think you can look into really is reliability as you can't fake it.

Apart from that, the only time I'd pay attention to is the fastest one as it gives us a rough idea of how much faster they might be than last year.

Zaru

Before testing I said McLaren would be lucky to have 2012 performance with 2012 reliability (which was bad enough to motivate Lewis to finally leave for tealer pastures).

What they have now is 2016 performance with 2015 reliability.

Praying for Nando and Stoff to not spend their last (it might be) and first years in agony.

Tubie

McLaren using 3 engines in 1.5 days, when they have to use 4 for the entire season.

And their oil tank is badly designed and oil doesn't flow properly, incredible.

You can't make this shit up.

I'm convinced McLaren would make a better engine if they decided to build one from scratch. Too bad the cost of that is probably too much for them to try.

Zeknurn

MARCHIONNE SPEAKS OUT ABOUT THE SF70-H After keeping relatively quiet over the winter, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has spoken about their 2017 challenger. The 64 year old has said that the car has already met the early expectations and has made a "big leap" from 2016.

COULD IT BE?

Stop It

I'm convinced McLaren would make a better engine if they decided to build one from scratch. Too bad the cost of that is probably too much for them to try.
I wonder what might have been if Cosworth had the budget of a big gun like Honda and actually followed through on their Turbo project. Better than the Honda that's almost certain.

Aiii

So not worth it
Obviously! The headline times are meaningless but there's lots that can be gleaned from testing.

I can't speak for others but this isn't my first rodeo. I realised a couple of years ago that I've been following F1 for over 20 years, which scared me at the time.

It's even worse now compared to even a few years ago, simulations are so good that testing is pretty much just a systems check at this point. Mercedes showing up and just out of nowhere doing 150 laps per testing day is a direct result of them already having developed and tested everything before a car was even build. This is also why, allegedly, RBR is running a car with all their new aero bits removed and not sweating it, they already know exactly how it will perform.

I was watching a interview with Max yesterday in where he said his qualifying set-up in one of the races was exactly the same as the one he and his engineers had determined in the simulator beforehand. That's pretty much where we're at right now.

...Unless you're 2012 Ferrari, the computers have already calculated exactly how your car performs.

Aren't they waiting for 2018 for a title sponsor? Says it all really.

mclem

'Honda don't know why yet'

Genius, 3 years in a row.

The silicon chips keep ending up dead
Or primed to overload
And nobody's gonna do no laps today
Ain't gonna scuff that chrome
And Arai doesn't understand it
"Top power" is what he was told
And he can see no reason
'cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be sure

Oh, oh, oh, tell me why
We can't make engines
Tell me why
We can't make engines
Tell me why
We can't make engines
With this pursuit
Of raw horsepower

Juicy Bob

I have nothin against McLaren. I'm not a fan, but I've never disliked them and I know that they have a passionate and major fanbase all over the world.

That said, this Honda stuff is just the shit gift that keeps on shitting.

It's hilarious.

DBT85

It's even worse now compared to even a few years ago, simulations are so good that testing is pretty much just a systems check at this point. Mercedes showing up and just out of nowhere doing 150 laps per testing day is a direct result of them already having developed and tested everything before a car was even build. This is also why, allegedly, RBR is running a car with all their new aero bits removed and not sweating it, they already know exactly how it will perform.

I was watching a interview with Max yesterday in where he said his qualifying set-up in one of the races was exactly the same as the one he and his engineers had determined in the simulator beforehand. That's pretty much where we're at right now.

...Unless you're 2012 Ferrari, the computers have already calculated exactly how your car performs.

Where is that RBR allegation coming from. Newey himself said they wanted to start without it all and see how the flow works, then start bolting things on.

Even then, testing is important, otherwise every team out there would have pounded round doing 100 laps a day.

dEvAnGeL

pack it up boys, if tests are anything to go by Hamilton will win every race this year cause that merc looks miles ahead of everyone else AGAIN.

Stop It

Or 2017 McLaren Honda, unless if their computer simulation shows the car breaking down every 15 minutes.

Yes, simulation has got better but while drivers may say such a thing, the engineers making the car will tell you that nothing beats track time. Otherwise testing would be totally pointless and you wouldn't see teams complain about the lack of testing.

I don't fully buy the RBR sandbagging angle either. Closer looks have shown that the car is doing more than the lack of extra wings and flaps make it look. If the car is pretty quick without such gimmicks they may see them as easy additions later to test their efficacy once they have a baseline for their car.

Aiii

So not worth it
Where is that RBR allegation coming from. Newey himself said they wanted to start without it all and see how the flow works, then start bolting things on.

Even then, testing is important, otherwise every team out there would have pounded round doing 100 laps a day.

It's all alleged until I see some receipts. :D

Again, I stick to what I'm saying. Testing is more about testing systems, and things like tire degradation. All the aero is long tested and then some before the car is even build.

Zaru

I don't fully buy the RBR sandbagging angle either.

In terms of fastest testing laps ranking, they were 5, 3 and 4 positions behind their championship position in the last 3 years.

People always talk about Mercedes sandbagging but Red Bull is clearly the bigger offender here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom