• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: Behind the scenes look (video) [Up: 1080p/60fps]

p3tran

Banned
P3tran - Yes that's correct, I'm based primarily at Microsoft's UK HQ in Reading whilst the rest of the Turn 10 team are based out of Redmond in the US. Though what with modern technology and my habit of staying up late this doesn't really hamper my ability to communicate on a daily and regular basis with the rest of the team :)

in my business I do the same to communicate with my partners in us and canada -and if by "late" you mean like late us working hours then you should really not do it :)

but what I meant is that there is only so much you can do, ie you cant just sneak up behind a developer and grab a phone pic of something peachy and upload to raise some havoc in the forza community :)

so, since you are here and all, one question: are we going to see anything new forza in gamescom? no problem if not, just it would be nice to know beforehand :)

SparksBCN

Neo Member
Sorry but this is entirely bullshit just like 99% of developer claims of a "brand new engine".

It's quite easy to tell actually because the game as the same terrible shadow mapping FM4 has.

I don't think it's bullshit considering we have seen cars with different offset on the rims of the front and rear wheels, something that just wasn't possible with the old engine.

Mascot

I don't think it's bullshit considering we have seen cars with different offset on the rims of the front and rear wheels, something that just wasn't possible with the old engine.

I've never come close to understanding why it needed a brand new game engine to have something as apparently simple as different offsets on the same vehicle.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

SparksBCN

Neo Member
I've never come close to understanding why it needed a brand new game engine to have something as apparently simple as different offsets on the same vehicle.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

My guess would be that the engine used the same rim model for all 4 wheels instead of taking into account front and rear wheels, and for some reason couldn't be patched up. This was specially apparent in cars that had completely different rims on the front and rear wheels, like the Mazda 787B or the Porsche 987. Badned said it was a limitation of the game engine and I take his word.

p3tran

Banned
Isn't that only a visual thing?

I dont know what it does with car geometry and physics. never tried it myself.
but these hacked cars are playable from what I understand.
anyway the point here is that if a forza fan can hack a retail copy to do positive offset, I guess that if t10 wanted, they could have given us professional results on this.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
I dont know what it does with geometry and physics. never tried it myself.
but these hacked cars are playable from what I understand.
anyway the point here is that if a forza fan can hack a retail copy to do positive offset, I guess that if t10 wanted, they could have given us professional results on this.

He's not doing positive offset, he's just "stretching" the rim, but the offset remains the same. When you change tire width, the rim stays the same size, but he hacked it so the rim increases width as well, so he's distorting the rim creating the illusion of a positive offset.

p3tran

Banned
He's not doing positive offset, he's just "stretching" the rim, but the offset remains the same. When you change tire width, the rim stays the same size, but he hacked it so the rim increases width as well, so he's distorting the rim creating the illusion of a positive offset.

as i said, i have not tried this myself, but in that video you can clearly see that wheels attach to the axle further away when the guy shows it. in the first 7-8 seconds its really very easy to notice.
then he goes on to say that on modified wheels, >width also means >offset, and this is also shown on the video.

I dont know how this translates to in-game physics, but definitely you can see that its not a case of "stretching the wheel"

SparksBCN

Neo Member
as i said, i have not tried this myself, but in that video you can clearly see that wheels attach to the axle further away when the guy shows it. in the first 7-8 seconds its really very easy to notice.
then he goes on to say that on modified wheels, >width also means >offset, and this is also shown on the video.

I dont know how this translates to in-game physics, but definitely you can see that its not a case of "stretching the wheel"

Hmmmm... I'm sorry but you're wrong. The rim is stretching proportionally so the offset itself doesn't change. I'm gonna try to illustrate this, the drawing is crap but serves the purpose:

uJ4IOu1.png

p3tran

Banned
Hmmmm... I'm sorry but you're wrong. The rim is stretching proportionally so the offset itself doesn't change. I'm gonna try to illustrate this, the drawing is crap but serves the purpose:

uJ4IOu1.png

thank you for explaining, but this is not what I see on the video.
I will be more specific:
6th second in the video, car has on the normal magnum III wheels
7th second, car switches to modified aluma star wheels.
you can see clearly that the wheels move further out the axle, and not being stretched out.

then, on top of that, he goes on to say that on these modified wheels, increasing the width also increases further the offset (your pic maybe)

SparksBCN

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure (will have to check in game to see how they are the vanilla ones) that he didn't modify the offset of the wheels, he just stretched them, and they stretch even more when changing tire width. If he managed to add offset that would mean that he somehow managed to change the actual model of the rim, which I don't see possible even with a hacked console.

p3tran

Banned
I'm pretty sure (will have to check in game to see how they are the vanilla ones) that he didn't modify the offset of the wheels, he just stretched them, and they stretch even more when changing tire width. If he managed to add offset that would mean that he somehow managed to change the actual model of the rim, which I don't see possible even with a hacked console.

well, I dont know if you have the time to invest on searching, but this guy seems to have figured out at least some forza parameters, judging by one or two other videos I saw.

but anyway, as I said, on that specific video it is very easy to see that the wheels move out, and not stretch like you say.
go check yourself those weld racing wheels and see if one from the other has 20cm difference in offset ;)

SparksBCN

Neo Member
Offset changes at :07 without any change to wheel or tire width. It's pretty clear.

He's changing to another rim, not the offset on the same rim...

go check yourself those weld racing wheels and see if one from the other has 20cm difference in offset ;)

Again, I don't know how many times will I have to explain this: The offset doesn't change, what changes is the tire width, so the rim changes width as well, but the offset stays the same!! He goes from Magnum III rims mounted on a standard width tire, to AlumaStar 2.0 rims mounted on a superwide tire. The only thing this guy did was modify a parameter so the rim changes width as well (which doesn't happen in the standard game) creating the illusion that the offset changes, but actually it's just the rim stretching itself.

p3tran

Banned
He's changing to another rim, not the offset on the same rim...

Again, I don't know how many times will I have to explain this: The offset doesn't change, what changes is the tire width, so the rim changes width as well, but the offset stays the same!! He goes from Magnum III rims mounted on a standard width tire, to AlumaStar 2.0 rims mounted on a superwide tire. The only thing this guy did was modify a parameter so the rim changes width as well (which doesn't happen in the standard game) creating the illusion that the offset changes, but actually it's just the rim stretching itself.

this is getting a bit tiring...
instead of explaining something you clearly dont understand, try doing this:

do you have a 360?
do you have forza 4?

boot the game, and go pick ANY fucking car, go to the upgrade menu, choose wheels, go to right side and find WELD wheels, just like in that video.
now change between the same two models like on the video, and witness that -holy shit- on the unmodified game, the two different weld wheels have exactly the same offset

now go look again at that video, and check out the difference between those two weld wheels, the unmodified one and the modified one. their OFFSET changes very significantly.

its pretty much a lot more than obvious, I cant believe you keep coming back refuting it...

SparksBCN

Neo Member
this is getting a bit tiring...
instead of explaining something you clearly dont understand, try doing this:

do you have a 360?
do you have forza 4?

boot the game, and go pick ANY fucking car, go to the upgrade menu, choose wheels, go to right side and find WELD wheels, just like in that video.
now change between the same two models like on the video, and witness that -holy shit- on the unmodified game, the two different weld wheels have exactly the same offset

now go look again at that video, and check out the difference between those two weld wheels, the unmodified one and the modified one. their OFFSET changes very significantly.

its pretty much a lot more than obvious, I cant believe you keep coming back refuting it...

Yes, it is becoming tiring. And sorry, but IT IS YOU who is explaining something that clearly don't understand, even when I explained it as clearly as possible in my last message.

The offset changes significantly because HE DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME FUCKING TIRE WIDTH ON BOTH MODELS. On one model he has a standard tire, on the other he has a superwide tire. What he has done to "change the offset" is just stretching the rim to accomodate the widht of the tire, so the wider the tire, the wider the rim, creating THE ILLUSION that the offset changes when it doesn't, the rim just gets distorted as I explained with my drawing.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious, but I have to refute it again and again because no matter how many times I explain it, you don't seem to get it.

C'mon people, this is about what is right, and in this case, this is clear. Sparks is right.

The rim is getting stretched, giving the illusion of having more offset, but it's not real.

FM4's engine is the same one as FM1, and that implies lots of limitations, being this one. Why? Who cares right now. It's fixed in FM5, so we should move ahead. I'm the first who wants to see news about the game (checking every day, almost every hour) but it looks like now we have to bash them for no reason at all.

At least, let's wait to see what they have to offer, don't you think? But first, everybody please chill, this is becoming absurd.

p3tran

Banned
HE DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME FUCKING TIRE WIDTH ON BOTH MODELS. On one model he has a standard tire, on the other he has a superwide tire. What he has done to "change the offset" is just stretching the rim to accomodate the widht of the tire, so the wider the tire, the wider the rim, creating THE ILLUSION that the offset changes when it doesn't, the rim just gets distorted as I explained with my drawing.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious, but I have to refute it again and again because no matter how many times I explain it, you don't seem to get it.

pretty much lol

lolgbzf8.gif

Mascot

Wouldn't it be funny if Prague was the ONLY track included with FM5, and all others were paywalled DLC? Man, that would be genius. Do it, Turn 10. I'd pay whatever you ask.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
pretty much lol

Lol indeed, because we both were wrong. Neither is he adding offset to the rim, neither is stretching. He's adding offset to the whole wheel itself (so, it comes out of the car) but the rim is untouched. Here's how the rim looks in the standard game:

SUIIucm.jpg

So my point still remains: Different offsets on the front and rear wheels weren't possible in the old engine.

p3tran

Banned
Lol indeed, because we both were wrong. Neither is he adding offset to the rim, neither is stretching. He's adding offset to the whole wheel itself (so, it comes out of the car) but the rim is untouched.

you where both stubborn AND unable to follow simple directions of what to look for in a specific video, but yeah, other than that, we are somehow ..both wrong? :)

anyway, glad you finally understood, even though I see you still have some things mixed about what is offset and all ;) (the word you are looking for is
spacers
)

the only thing you probably are right, is what we have discussed in forza 4 topics since forever, that most probably they have wheel properties per wheelset and not per front-rear wheels.
still, that is something that could have easily been addressed with a little bit of smart programming and a patch, if t10 thought it was important enough.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
you where both stubborn AND unable to follow simple directions of what to look for in a specific video, but yeah, other than that, we are somehow ..both wrong? :)

anyway, glad you finally understood, even though I see you still have some things mixed about what is offset and all ;) (the word you are looking for is
spacers
)

the only thing you probably are right, is what we have discussed in forza 4 topics since forever, that most probably they have wheel properties per wheelset and not per front-rear wheels.
still, that is something that could have easily been addressed with a little bit of smart programming and a patch, if t10 thought it was important enough.

First of all, english is not my first language. I'm saying this because of the mix-up between offset and spacers, sorry.

It's not that I can't follow simple directions, but it turns out I had the contrast messed up on my screen (just fixed it now) so I couldn't distinguish good enough the tire from the black background. Since the tire came outwards, I assumed it was that the tire was wider and so the rim was stretching, getting deeper and creating the illusion of a deeper rim on the rear wheels, but then I saw your gif which has quite more brightness and I saw that it was just the whole wheel coming off the car but the width was the same.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that according to Badned, different rims between the front and rear wheels weren't possible because of limitations with the game engine, so cars that had deeper rims on the rear axl (or completely different rims, as in the Mazda 787B or the Porsche 987) had the same wheels front and back. But we have seen the Pagani Huayra in Forza 5 with deeper rims in the rear wheels (as in real life), so I'm assuming Forza 5 is using a new engine for the Xbox One, instead of recycling (again) the old FM1 engine.

Anyway, I'm sorry about the confussion and the argument.

p3tran

Banned
Anyway, I'm sorry about the confussion and the argument.

no harm done my friend ;)

and about who said what and all that mumbo-jumbo, believe your reasoning before someone else's marketing.
it doesn't take a whole new engine to add properties per wheel and not per wheel set. it takes about a week's work of a junior coder and a patch, if there is the will to "fix" it.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
no harm done my friend ;)

and about who said what and all that mumbo-jumbo, believe your reasoning before someone else's marketing.
it doesn't take a whole new engine to add properties per wheel and not per wheel set. it takes about a week's work of a junior coder and a patch, if there is the will to "fix" it.

It's not a matter of properties, but of models. The engine uses the same model for all 4 wheels, maybe it's not that easy to change it so a car can use different wheel modelings for different wheels on the same car. I would have my doubts if this was something coming from Turn 10 itself, but I trust Badned, so if he says that it was a limitation of the engine, I believe him.

LostVector

Neo Member
quite the opposite actually, forza 1 is one of my favourite racing games ever, and as the series went on they lost touch of what made the series so great, continuously ignoring what the core wants and instead adding silly things like top gear bowling and autovista. i dont try to troll its just how you guys perceive me i guess but whatever, sticks n stones

you think i actually thought the game was dead? what are you even saying

I'm going to throw in my hat with Xanadu here. For all the hype Turn 10 gives about realism and all of that, it is clear that a marketing machine that doesn't quite get cars is driving the development.

I have gone to some pretty great lengths to try and make Forza a fun experience ... multi monitor, multiple copies of the game, building a cockpit and custom hardware. So yeah, I want it to work. I want a game that continues to get more realistic over time.

It's disappointing to see a game with high production values like Forza miss the mark so badly on the fundamental basics. I've been to different tracks several times and the culture of working on your car, debriefings, dealing with weather conditions, learning the track, run groups, etc ... there's just so much more that Turn 10 could do in this area that it's insane. It's really magical to play and learn something in the game that you can take to the track.

But there isn't much of that being added. Instead, watching the development from Forza 3 to Forza 5, there are a lot of gimmicks and "better graphics/orange peel" effects. You know what would be cool? Being able to simulate rain in the game so that on the track I lessen my chance of going hot off a corner at high speed when it rains in real life. How does orange peel or kinect driving or autovista help that?

saladine1

BADNED said:
Anyway my comment back then was before we made the schedule changes. Now it will be a bit later but therefore greater. ;) Don't worry we will deliver soon.

Looking forward to finally seeing something..

Any predictions?

p3tran

Banned
It's disappointing to see a game with high production values like Forza miss the mark so badly on the fundamental basics. I've been to different tracks several times and the culture of working on your car, debriefings, dealing with weather conditions, learning the track, run groups, etc ... there's just so much more that Turn 10 could do in this area that it's insane. It's really magical to play and learn something in the game that you can take to the track.

But there isn't much of that being added. Instead, watching the development from Forza 3 to Forza 5, there are a lot of gimmicks and "better graphics/orange peel" effects. You know what would be cool? Being able to simulate rain in the game so that on the track I lessen my chance of going hot off a corner at high speed when it rains in real life. How does orange peel or kinect driving or autovista help that?

What do you mean "been on a track working on your car etc"? When you go to a track, if you've got to fix your car on the track, basically you are fucked in a way. This is not normal. You prepare the car in the garage, and run it on the track.
And about "debriefings", what does that even mean? You'd like a parking space next to the track, and a coffe shop
where you can have virtual coffe and virtually debrief?

I find these non-esential and not simulator-inducing experiences. (And by the way, iirc there still is a "testdrive" option in your tuning and upgrades menu, that directly jumps you to the track you choose for ..testing, and from there you can tune while driving, and return to tunr/upgrades menu with a single button)

You know what I'd like to be fixed more towards realism? The way all the engine upgrades work, and how much power they give!
Now that is a part of forza where there can be HUGE improvements towards realism.
Dont get me wrong, forza has a full system of upgrades that as a system it works (and works good, better than most other games). Only the data is not realistic.
Example, in real life I can get >50hp out of a mk5/6 gti, just by flashing the ecu. Add a dowpipe there, and its more like ~290ish.
Drop a turbo from audi s3 and we have reached ~350hp. Drop some rod-pistons and a gtx turbo and you are at around ~500hp.
This tuning reality is not presented in forza. And not in vw only. Audi s3? Ecu upgrade, hello 330hp. R8 v10? Touch the ecu, get 40hp extra
Porsche 2005 turbo? Ecu upgrade alone equals to around 80hp. Etc

I remember that Dan back at his beginnings drove an audi s4 tuned by awe. So its not he has no idea about these things. The way I see it, Its just something the forza decision makers find that is not important.
Well, in my opinion it is very fucking important!

And if I was to have one improvent dictated to forza, it would be that, and not some debrief by the track thing.

Now, about t10's focus in things xanadu and you say they are not very important, like triple textures and orange peels, well, next time you guys fuel the gt vs forza wars by offering opinions ONLY on photomode pics and the quality of those, you better think if photomode fidelity is the number one thing you care about in a racing game, or not.
I said that before, its not t0's fault, its the customers fault.

bj00rn_

Banned
What do you mean "been on a track working on your car etc"? When you go to a track, if you've got to fix your car on the track, basically you are fucked in a way. This is not normal. You prepare the car in the garage, and run it on the track.
And about "debriefings", what does that even mean? You'd like a parking space next to the track, and a coffe shop
where you can have virtual coffe and virtually debrief?

I'm not speaking on his behalf, and I'm not 100% what he actually means, but I think all he wanted to say is that he wants more "build-up"; a kind of a anticipation-effect that makes a great release of adrenaline-flow through the veins when you finally sit there on the track revving your engine waiting for the green light..

..and in that case I agree that this is a real psychological effect that developers should be exploring a lot more instead of concentrating only on the impatient side of gamers

Good posts from both of you btw. Keep discussing guys, this thread is finally readable again.

Mascot

BADNET said:
Anyway my comment back then was before we made the schedule changes. Now it will be a bit later but therefore greater. ;) Don't worry we will deliver soon.

Interesting that BADNET refers to 'we', the first real suggestion I've seen that he's a Turn 10 staffer. I was always led to believe he was Dan's live-in fluffer.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't think Badned works at T10. He probably would've been found out a long time ago.

I think he probably knows a few folks at T10 who don't mind dropping hints.

p3tran

Banned
The comedy is secondary, I just like all the old cats he drives.
All these classics, they look fantastic but drive like shit. At least most of them.
And there was basically no "comedy" in all the "coffee with comedians" episodes I watched...
But yeah, old classics look very cool 8)

Xanadu

Banned
Now, about t10's focus in things xanadu and you say they are not very important, like triple textures and orange peels, well, next time you guys fuel the gt vs forza wars by offering opinions ONLY on photomode pics and the quality of those, you better think if photomode fidelity is the number one thing you care about in a racing game, or not.
I said that before, its not t0's fault, its the customers fault.

i never compare photomode pics, photomode is bullshit and always has been

Top Bottom