• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 Showroom | New cars and details for Forza 5, ongoing reveals

RoKKeR

Okay, real talk.
I wish Turn 10 didn't go for a lighting style that isn't realistic? It doesn't feel right.

Seriously? Sure it's a bit saturated but I had to double take when I first scrolled by the photos in the OP. The detail is immense, and the cars reflect light in such an incredible way.

I think it looks gorgeous.

Glad to see the Sagaris and the Cinque back :)

other cars were expected, also I hope we dont loose many cars, Forza is about car variety

adelante

Still just a flat texture and no refractive/glass distortion effect. Sigh

headlightssgs5d.jpg

adelante

what is a flat texture ? You didn't expect single leds being modeled individually

The glass lens. You can actually see that the texture of the glass lens itself has those tiny individual bumps, represented by varying opacity and not bumpmapped. Hence it lacks the characteristics of having such bumps on glass in real-life: distortion

and no, gt5 doesn't have refraction.
Whether it's simulating refraction/distortion in real-time or not, it does a pretty damn good job of at least looking like it does:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'm 90% sure what you're referring to is the bump maps on the lights.

GT5 hasn't got refraction, it's just the same thing FM4 does where the bump map affects reflections.

The problem with the FM5 shot is the bump maps are either missing (across the top for example) or they aren't correctly affecting reflections.

On another note, the area behind the lens in FM5 is red when it appears it should be black.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yeah, the one's I've seen are red.

An error I noticed is the sides on the cylinder of the reverse taillight is all chrome, even though it's supposed to be red with only the end tips being chrome. Same error in Forza 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcxGdCMwSw&t=0m22s

It's possible they didn't completely remodel all of the cars from scratch?

They originally claimed remodeled all cars from scratch but that later turned into "only cars we weren't happy with"

Me neither but it's 10 to 8 in the morning, I have nothing better to do.

Yeah it seems errors are popping up but then who knows where they sourced the reference material.

I wasn't aware they were not remodelling all cars, I thought they said circuits.

~~Hasan~~

i am not sure why. but these screens don't look good to me. something is off. too shiny maybe ?

also, please show me screens off gameplay . not photo mode " or whatever its called in this game ". why Turn 10 is always like this ?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Exactly. Photomode says more about the skills of the photographer than representing what the game looks like. Lets just use gameplay videos :)

So much truth.

Both series can look absolutely stunning yet they can both look like total ass.

This Eurogamer thing better give us some quality direct feed footage.

i am not sure why. but these screens don't look good to me. something is off. too shiny maybe ?

also, please show me screens off gameplay . not photo mode " or whatever its called in this game ". why Turn 10 is always like this ?

I know what you mean. For me it's the headlights and rims that still look like plastic.

saladine1

Footage?

We've only just got screenshots of cars that have been in the games for years.

I'm not a graphics guy but can the visuals be enhanced this far in production?
If so, I'm guessing Turn 10 are tweaking to the shit-house and are trying to nail it down before showing shit off. It's the only answer I have regarding the lack of footage..

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
If so, I'm guessing Turn 10 are tweaking to the shit-house and are trying to nail it down before showing shit off. It's the only answer I have regarding the lack of footage..

Yes, they can be tweaked but don't expect a massive leap.

eso76

Whether it's simulating refraction/distortion in real-time or not, it does a pretty damn good job of at least looking like it does:

ah, yeah, environment bump mapping.
Really does make a difference there, i agree

Yes, they can be tweaked but don't expect a massive leap

Well, it depends; f they were for some reason reworking their lighting engine you might see a massive leap. I doubt that's the case though.

Helios something along those lines.

I'm expecting to see something new today, an hour of Dan talking about clouds and tyres isn't going to cut it so close to release.

In general, GT5 lighting is more realistic, though.

Too early to say for sure but yeah, it looks that way.

However these screenshots aren't a patch on the quality of the P1 Forzavista demo

eso76

Helios something along those lines.

I'm expecting to see something new today, an hour of Dan talking about clouds and tyres isn't going to cut it so close to release.

yes, i hope these two pics are not what Helios was referring to when he said we'll see new stuff.
Dan almighty is talking in a little more than 2 hrs and i sure hope his panel is not just talk about physics and cloud drivatar AI.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh look. Its GT vs Forza again for the bajillionth time. This always leads to fruitful, rational and civil discussion. Be right back folks. I need to grab my monacle and bag of poo.

Mascot

I'm guessing they are still modelling a lot of stuff, never mind tweaking and polishing. The programme for this game must have been squeezed tighter than a nun's chuff.

And the pictures just released do look nice, but photo-mode car pictures from racing games have been looking nice for the past decade. It's hard for me to get excited about them any more.

saladine1

I'm guessing they are still modelling a lot of stuff, never mind tweaking and polishing. The programme for this game must have been squeezed tighter than a nun's chuff.

And the pictures just released do look nice, but photo-mode car pictures from racing games have been looking nice for the past decade. It's hard for me to get excited about them any more.

True. Footage is where the money is.

Turn 10, just show me Peter Brock's A9X Torana hot lapping Mount Panorama with Men At Work's 'Down Under' as the accompanying song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

Is Forza 3 worth $7?

I wanna get a racing game to play for a few minutes at a time. Not so sure this is gonna scratch that itch.

depends if you already have Forza 2 or not I guess, the returns are increasingly diminishing with this series. No other genre would sell you 90% of the 'maps' from the previous game in the series at full price with a straight face. Getting to a high tier in career mode is more of a slog with each iteration because so many tracks are repeated over and over.

Top Bottom