• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7, GT Sport, Project Cars 2. What are the biggest differences?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm leaning towards Forza 7 mostly.

PC2 just seems too much of a hardcore simulator. That's cool I guess but not for me. I have 0 interest in GT Sport.

From what I've seen Forza 7 looks great visually and I quite enjoyed Forza 6 so yeah I'll get 7.

etta

my hard graphic balls
GT’s only advantage is in the visuals department for me. I don’t like the feel of it and the UI menus, dear heavens!
Forza made some improvements in lighting, but model detail doesn’t look as good.
I’ve had a terrible experience with PCars so I won’t even consider it.

IISANDERII

In a span of 3 weeks we get 3 great racing games probably. But i have no idea what sets them apart and it feels abit overwhelming now they all release at the same time. They all have a big career mode right? And weather?, Same ammount of tracks and cars?

Project Cars looks very nice with alot of classes but very skeptical about the handling still coming from Project Cars 1 and the performance on base consoles. GT and Forza are more a certain thing with that.
The original Project Cars has so much stuff as DLC it felt like I was playing a Free to Play game. Huge turn off. If I see Project Cars Complete Edition on sale, I may go for it.

GT5/6 had some DLC but nowhere near as much.

I'd be more excited about Project Cars 2 but I played the first one on PS4 and I was very disappointed by the poor graphics and the handling always felt off to me. Unless I hear very different things about the sequel I'm not even considering it.

Forza looks great this year and I'm cautiously optimistic about GT Sports. I know the traditional campaign is gone but the missions or whatever they're called look interesting and as long as I can set up my own races in arcade mode I'll be fine.

fresquito

The original Project Cars has so much stuff as DLC it felt like I was playing a Free to Play game. Huge turn off. If I see Project Cars Complete Edition on sale, I may go for it.

GT5/6 had some DLC but nowhere near as much.
You must be kidding. Project CARS had tons of content on release and DLC were extremely cheap. There're so many legit reasons to dislike PC1, but not these.

GT Sport- E-sports games, DLC tracks? only 16 at launch... Will probably have the best driving physics. Best graphics on console XB1/PS4 (One X version of Forza might look better, but that's a given.)

Forza- All around car and track selection..

PC2- The most in-depth career mode, features and tracks.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

I'll probably get GT:S and PC2 for Online and SP respectively, since I don't feel like collecting hundreds of cars for the 98349th time only to really drive a handful of them in the end (and Forza's driving has always felt awful to me).

dakun

to me the biggest plus for Project Cars 2 is VR support. I'll get it for that alone on my PC.

I'm still unsure if I'll get Forza or GT anytime soon. Ever since it's announcement i had nothing but a bad feeling about GT. It's a damn shame they didn't just go straight to a numbered sequel with proper content.

Forza 7 looks amazing but i won't get an Xbox One X. So the only viable option for me is getting it on PC where i'll already have the (imo) superior Project Cars 2

Fredrik

to me the biggest plus for Project Cars 2 is VR support. I'll get it for that alone on my PC.

I'm still unsure if I'll get Forza or GT anytime soon. Ever since it's announcement i had nothing but a bad feeling about GT. It's a damn shame they didn't just go straight to a numbered sequel with proper content.

Forza 7 looks amazing but i won't get an Xbox One X. So the only viable option for me is getting it on PC where i'll already have the (imo) superior Project Cars 2
You can play two games, Forza 7 is gonna be amazing on PC, don't miss out if you have the hardware to run it!

saladine1

For me:

GT Sport: Will have glorious visual moments which includes the amazing replay and photo modes.

pCars 2: An 'authentic' motorsport game with all the thrills of racing.

Forza 7: A car nut's dream with a decent playground and a great overall package.

Always prefer GT to FM, but this time I think FM7 is the best choice for me. It has lots of amazing cars and tracks, dynamic weather and day/night cycle and one of the most important things for me: career mode. But don't have X1. :(

From the previews I've heard only good stuff about Project CARS 2's driving physics, except for the controller handling which is seemingly much improved (now with counter-steering assist), but not as up to Forza and GT standards yet.
People seem genuinely impressed with how the cars and the tire model feels, even if it's maybe more on the easy side and not as hard as iRacing.

About Forza Motorsport 7 I haven't heard anything good at all except from people who were blown away by the motion rig Turn 10 had set up during E3. John Sabol from Inside Sim Racing said it felt just like FM6, no improvements (and he's used to motion rigs somewhat, so he can blend that part of the demo out better than others I assume). Alan Boiston from Team VVV was not impressed either and he mentioned the different assist settings in the demo, so people will have had different experiences with it won't be able to judge the physics all that well.

About GT Sport, people seem unimpressed about the physics too. Yes, the braking distance and so on are now more "sim" than they used to, but from my own experience with the Beta, I can say that the driving and tire-model are made not for uncompromising realism, but to play well with a controller.

It really depends on why you're coming to these games? Do you want a cool career progress from cheap cars to hyper- and race cars? Then it's FM7 for you. Do you want to learn about racing and get better at it; love looking at cars in replays and make photos for your PC wallpaper, then it's GT Sport. If you like motorsports, the sounds, the noise, endurance racing from all eras and want the most realistic car behavior out of the 3 then it's probably Project CARS (and lets not forget about dynamic ToD including night, dynamic weather with puddle build-up and even seasons with yellow leafs in the fall, chance of snow in the winter and very different track temperatures that will play into your tire strategy).

Forza 7 will likely be the best overall.

GTSport is targeting the e-sports audience, seems weak on content compared to more fleshed out racing games, and doesn't seem to be a game for single player racing.

Project Cars 2 on PC at least will be an insane simulation... It's going to support 3 screens and 12K resolution, and it should have its signature simulation driving physics / difference between cars.

GT Sport = No actual single player

PCars, Forza, Crew 2 = Actual single player

Incorrect.

GT Sport has single player content but it isn't the traditional career mode.

It's campaign mode is split over 5 modes with 100+ events and challanges designed to improve your driving skills.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don't kid yourself, there's no way a game with 700 cars has quality physics for all of them.

Hahahaha are you being for real.

Is this an honest critique or have you never played a Forza Motorsport game before?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'll be nabbing fm7 and pcars2.

Forza should be a great graphical showcase for the x, good for quick sessions and handle well with a pad (for when I don't want to get my wheel out). It's a known quantity at this point. The safe game. The huge car list, and being able to drive virtually any car id want to virtually is nice. Biggest concern is that like fm6, I'll just find it dull dull dull after a few hours.

Pcars2 should really satisfy me with the wheel and longer, more serious and strenuous, sessions. I love it's visceral cameras and it's adherence to racing authenticity. I dont even mind its limited amount of cars in comparison to forza bevause its focused on racing. And it has like literally twice as many tracks as forza. Concerned that pad use will once again be shit, really limiting how much I'll be able to play though. Also hopping it is far less buggy than pcars1.

Is this an honest critique or have you never played a Forza Motorsport game before?

If a game doesn't even model the suspension physically (only visually if necessary), that says a lot. And neither Forza nor GT Sport do that. They don't even apply the original steering ratio/lock to an FFB wheel, it's just "one size fits all". Suspensions are only modeled as "this car has a double wishbone in the back and a McPherson in the front" but not the actual geometry which is necessary to get data about camber, toe and track width change for compression/expansion. (I'm not bashing them as "they're unrealistic trash", they are nuanced enough to make the physics very believable especially with a controller, but it's true that games like pCARS and Assetto Corsa simulate a lot more on the cars than FM and GT)

Rodelero

Forza is first and foremost a game about collecting cars and driving them. It is a driving game first and foremost rather than a racing game. This is the game for people that want to buy cars, upgrade them, tune them, and drive them.

Project Cars is the most advanced simulation and a true racing game, and it has comfortably the best range of racing tracks.

Gran Turismo Sport is the hardest to get a read on given that it's a new direction for the franchise. I appreciate what they are trying to do. Online racing has never really worked very well unless you're willing to go outside the game and find organised leagues and groups to race with. If Polyphony can nail that, they have more than justified the departure from the numbered games to me, but it's an incredibly ambitious goal. Even if they succeed in the goal, many are going to resent the shift towards online and esports. If they fail, it will be an utter disaster for the franchise.

-

From a personal perspective, if GTS actually achieves its aims it's definitely the game for me. Project Cars 2 I feel very confident in, and I'll certainly buy it if GTS underwhelms. Forza I'll probably miss out on. To use my wheel with it I'd have to get it on PC rather than Xbox, but to be honest I kind of burned out on the Gran Turismo/Forza format years ago between GT3, GT4, GT5, FM2 and FM3.

Sebmugi

F7: I who is played and appreciated forza 6 and forza horizon 3 I think it's just a rough mix of both..the garage and the lack of novelty circuits and dynamic time is a feature that come a bit Too late in front of the competition ... short for me it is no great surprise and this is the last of the three I would take.

PC2: having little day to one I am wary of this suite .. the feature of the different seasons and the number of circuits give me a little envy.
I would take second hand after GT sport.

GTS: I am nostalgic of the old GT but after playing the beta I am curious to see the final version and the future of this new direction. Criticisms about resources wasted are partly based but, after the assets of PS2 cars They were not going to repeat the same mistake by putting PS3 car assets, although they are better finished .. I would take it day one because I think it is a game with a soul..the ambience of the game is Like the old GT ..

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Maybe it's you that hasn't played anything else than Forza or GT before?

Fair enough.

Name the cars which dont have good physics in Forza 6.
Im sure it would be common knowledge by now....im always up to being educated.

Fair enough.

by iRacing standards, it's ALL of them. By F1 simulator standards all iRacing cars have bad physics. You have to put things in perspective. And why pick this fight, pCARS really does simulate a lot more than Forza, even if pCARS1 simulated a few things quite poorly, it was very ambitious in terms of simulation.

leehom

Fair enough.

I would say all of them. Forza is more of an arcadey race simulator where as GT is based more on realism.

fresquito

Fair enough.

It's not about a car with bad physics, it's about physics fidelity in general. The physics fidelity and depth in Forza is very limited. I don't say that as a mean to say it is inferior, it's just what it is and it's the approach of the game. The game can be great fun if that's your thing. That's not the debate.

But the truth is you can't have so many cars with super detailed physics like you find in games such as iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2 or Project CARS.

Ultimate edition will only include new cars and even then not even all new cars will be included. Tracks and other content, such as the new areas in Horizon, are never included in the Ultimate edition.

Ouch....missed this post. Not even all cars? Damn. That sucks :(

xrnzaaas

Ouch....missed this post. Not even all cars? Damn. That sucks :(

The Ultimate Edition imo is not worth it unless you plan on playing the game extensively throughout the entire year until another Forza title comes out. The game will have 700 cars in the basic version so unless you're really desperate to own everything or drive certain models you won't tell the difference. Besides the most interesting additional content are always expansions and they're not a part of the Ultimate Edition (you may only get an additional discount on them).

I'm really looking forward to GT Sport's livery editor, if the whole image import thing is real. Other than that, I assume Forza will be my game of choice if they don't screw up the PC port again.

Fair enough.

small list about Forza:

- only fixed-ratio center differentials are simulated, no viscous, no active systems like in a Lancer or Impreza for example
- ground effect aero effects aren't simulated (stronger the closer the car bottom is to the surface)
- ABS and TC is non-adjustable (it's just ON/OFF and the same slip ratio starting point for all cars if set to ON)
- cockpit adjustable brake balance not present
- cockput adjustable anti-roll bars not present
- brake balance adjustability in the garage is tied to having carbon-ceramic brakes, older race cars are non-adjustable entirely in FM
- no correct caster, camber toe settings taken from IRL production cars (edit: spring rates are also not original, just what feels good and believable)
- dampers only have one setting, no "fast bump" like modern race car dampers have
- can't flash the lights for overtaking blue-flagged cars
- no simulation of torque vectoring differentials
- no simulation of brake-disc heat warming up the tires
- no brake fade or overheating brake discs
- no engine cooling simulation
- no engine damage from over-revving or overuse of high-end revving
- no adjustable turbo pressure in race cars (for many 70s and 80s car really important)
- no passive or active rear wheel steering in cars that have it
- no manual DRS use
- incorrect simulation of hybrid drive systems
- no battery charge with kinetic energy recovery
- no settings for recovery mode
- no distinction between gasoline motor enhancing and wheel-driving battery power use
- doesn't apply battery power to the correct axle if different from standard driven axle

I'm sure I could come up with more and for the record, Assetto Corsa for example simulates all of the above and most of it pretty well. Also, that was only the car-simulation, didn't even go in the general simulation aspects like flat spotting, correct DRS zones and rules, Push-to-pass (with rules), wind direction, air density with temperature... actual sims do all of those.

Don't kid yourself, there's no way a game with 700 cars has quality physics for all of them.

This is actually something very important. Modern racing sims are now testing the physics of each individual car and tweaking them. The GT/Forza model of just throwing everything into calculations is just not going to be on the same level of realism.

I found funny that now that forza have the content it's the big deal and when GT5 and 6 had the content the people complaint that they had to focus on the quality of the whole package and the driving simulation instead of 1000 cars and a career made of collecting car.
Now that they have done what was asked they got it wrong another time lol

Nobody asked GT to get rid of cars, people just expected PS3 quality content on a PS3 game. Also, complaining about people abusing the Sunday cup with McLarens and stuff is not the same as getting rid of this mode.

Every car I drove in forza 6 had quality physics. Is there a reason this should change now for forza 7?

This i don´t get. I really wanted to like Forza now that´s on PC and i can play it, but i´ve tried Forza 6 Apex multiple times forcing myself to enjoy and i just can´t.

The handling is just weird if you´re coming from other games, it just doesn´t make any sense with a wheel. Some cars are kind of driveable, but the GT3 and LMP cars are just weirdly put together. I think it´s utter trash, i wanted to like because Forza 7 could be the mindless car collecting fun game that GT used to be, but the handling is absolutely difficult to get used to if you are accustomed to other racing games.

From the previews I've heard only good stuff about Project CARS 2's driving physics, except for the controller handling which is seemingly much improved (now with counter-steering assist), but not as up to Forza and GT standards yet.
People seem genuinely impressed with how the cars and the tire model feels, even if it's maybe more on the easy side and not as hard as iRacing.

And it shouldn´t be as hard as iRacing, because iRacing is artificially hard. It´s a huge can of worms as to why so many people defend and believe it´s real, but to me the nail on the coffin was trying a Ferrari 430 GT3 in real life in Las Vegas after driving it on the driving school on the iRacing custom simulator. The real life car was totally different because it doesn´t feel like ice skating. Anyways, this is the constant debate in many hardcore racing sim forums of harder not always meaning more realistic.

Again, i wanted to like it, but Forza can´t even be considered a lite sim. It has sim elements in it, but the overall feel is more comparable to Driveclub than to Pcars or Assetto Corsa.

TTG

Have dualshock controls been revamped for Project Cars 2? Because if not, it's on a range of not fun to unplayable depending on the car. So there's one difference.

I think FM7 is the complete package. A lot of cars and tracks to play around with.

Didn't like Pcars 1 but keeping and eye on Pcars 2.

GTS.... This is the game I'm or rather was looking forward to but the car list sucks imo. The track list sucks and I'm not a fan of the whole esports and Mp focus. If I had a xbox then I'd go with FM7 but if Pcars 2 turns out decent then I'll get that an pick up GTS when Kaz and PD sort things out.

And it shouldn´t be as hard as iRacing, because iRacing is artificially hard. It´s a huge can of worms as to why so many people defend and believe it´s real, but to me the nail on the coffin was trying a Ferrari 430 GT3 in real life in Las Vegas after driving it on the driving school on the iRacing custom simulator. The real life car was totally different because it doesn´t feel like ice skating. Anyways, this is the constant debate in many hardcore racing sim forums of harder not always meaning more realistic.
The physics of the hardcore sims are converging, iRacing's tire model now has more of a gradient beyond the peak slip angles and is easier to drive (especially since this year's changes), Assetto Corsa has gotten more narrow and harder, they've become pretty close to another over the evolution of the tire models.

willbsn13

I think it's great that consumers have a choice of 3 huge racing games this fall (that are track racers) and that they all launch in a month of each other.

Honestly I think they're all shaping up well, and the choice you make depends on your preferences.

Top Bottom