• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 |OT| The 7 you've been waiting for!

Don't know if the demo was patched, but i played the demo today and the Porsche now drives like a dream... Also the game runs a lot better now. This is great, you have a super fan back Turn 10 🔥🔥🔥🔥, going to buy the game right now. The hype is back.

ghibli99

One more from last night. Love me some old Hondas.

xB3fuxO.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a trick to driving the formula E cars? Been doing really well on highly skilled drivatars, but the formula e races in the breakout cup are kicking my arse. Even turning them way down to 'new racer' I can barely beat them

Is there a trick to driving the formula E cars? Been doing really well on highly skilled drivatars, but the formula e races in the breakout cup are kicking my arse. Even turning them way down to 'new racer' I can barely beat them

The trick is to use a lot of assists, hope for the best, and try not to cry.

Considering how aero-affected their styling seems to be, they feel like they have no downforce and they drive like shit.

stn

Definitely getting this soon, as soon as I get some time to go shopping. But I'm wondering: what's the best wheel for the XBone? Part of me wants to get one finally.

Gek54

JFC, why in the hell does Turn10 put "player quit" and all the other notifications dead fucking center in my view of the road and cars ahead? I would love to drop kick whom ever at Turn10 who thinks that this is a good idea. It wasn't funny in FM6 it's still not funny in FM7.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Nabbed the standard edition after holding off as long as I could. There are a lot of little issues that are really bugging me with this release.

-21:9 support sucks. I know its a niche market, but even Playground got this right last year! At least its supported in-game, but the HUD is still centered in the 16:9 space, thus playing in cockpit view means your rear mirror is now obscured by lap counts or other display materials(gee thanks for that!). Also, all menus are 16:9 with black bars, yuck Turn 10!

-Button prompts are stuck with keyboard icons despite using a wheel. Again, Playground got this right last year! I am using an officially supported wheel with your racing game, what button is 'V' again? Oh you are just going to keep the 'Hit R to rewind' prompt on screen while I'm racing? You want me to hit what exactly to interact with damn near anything in this game? This sort of thing is minor, but really drives home the feeling that this is some 3rd rate port and not a AAA flagship pillar release. Oh and the XBone controller prompts seem hardwired in the campaign tutorial races, thus making it feel even more chintzy(push RT to accelerate!).

-Reflections in bumper view show UI materials like names above opponent cars right on my hood. Like cmon now...its distracting and annoying for those that use that view like me. That stuff should only exist above the cars and not actually in the physical space.

-Still only on the second tier of campaign stuff, but not really loving it this time around. Actually not too bothered by the lootcrates so far. It is kind of interesting to have random mod challenges that spice up races, but its not a very entertaining loop of replenishing mods with credits to earn more bonus credits. It works somewhat better than the controversy led me to think, but its not very thrilling. It's already feeling mechanical and rote the way I just randomize whatever bonus cards for each event and not really think much about it. Especially given credits lose impact when events are tailored more to specific challenges than the CaRPG-ness of older titles.

I dunno, after being excited to finally have access to Forza again after loving 1-4, this has not really been a very welcoming hug back into the franchise that Turn 10 almost had polished to perfection in the 360 era. Feels a bit amateurish despite the dynamic weather being pretty awesome and the game looking pretty. I can't believe I may be having buyer remorse over choosing a Forza title over GT.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you get any kind of trophy for fully 100%ing a championship? Looking back at the first two, a couple of events are missing the check mark because I only got 995/1000 or something stupid, and its making me itchy..

I really should skim the championships more too. I’ve been fully doing all events before moving on (except where the tier 4 in the first championship blocked me). But that gets expensive as so many require you to buy expensive cars for one-off races that I’m probably never going to drive again. I’m guessing that if you skim through using the cars you have and only buying a few new ones, later championships will gift you cars suitable for earlier tiers?

-Button prompts are stuck with keyboard icons despite using a wheel. Again, Playground got this right last year! I am using an officially supported wheel with your racing game, what button is 'V' again? Oh you are just going to keep the 'Hit R to rewind' prompt on screen while I'm racing? You want me to hit what exactly to interact with damn near anything in this game? This sort of thing is minor, but really drives home the feeling that this is some 3rd rate port and not a AAA flagship pillar release.

This is because it's using the new Raw Game Controller stuff in Windows. If you look in the options, the buttons are all described as things like 'Device 2 Button 4' and so on, as this is how they report themselves to the OS. The RGC spec does include an ability for devices to indicate what labels are on each button, but it's too new for this to be set up on the drivers at the moment.

xrnzaaas

I have been playing today and am getting used to the handling now, also decided to get a CR-20,000 loot-box as I had no mods left other than my in-used VIP ones, seemed to get some ok mods, will get back more then I spent as I am doing the long races.

Yeah the 20k box is more than enough to earn a lot of (extra) money, especially with long races. Actually some rare/legendary mods from the 50k box can be problematic because of their requirements (like making several perfect passes in 1 race or completing an entire race without leaving the track even for a second).

Turn off damage, ram the AI in the first corner(s). ;p

Speaking of AI it's insanely good in Sebring and Road America. Also in previous FM games I've rarely switched the difficulty level, here I have to tweak the AI for each championship or even for each race (I can win on unbeatable on one track and finish 3rd or 4th on 60% difficulty on another track despite driving flawlessly).

spuckthew

The trick is to use a lot of assists, hope for the best, and try not to cry.

Considering how aero-affected their styling seems to be, they feel like they have no downforce and they drive like shit.

Meh, they seemed pretty easy to drive and win in for me with no assists and pro difficulty.

KdotIX

Speaking of AI it's insanely good in Sebring and Road America.

Yeah no shit, I was just driving the SUV championship in the Breakout series and when we came to Road America, the AI was on beast mode, could not catch up to second and first and 4th was on my tail on the straights. Then about lap 7/10 second and first some how dropped their lap times and I finished in 1st. Is there a known issue with AI difficulty spikes and drops at all?

Also, I hate the Polaris, such a piece of shit junk.

Do you get any kind of trophy for fully 100%ing a championship? Looking back at the first two, a couple of events are missing the check mark because I only got 995/1000 or something stupid, and its making me itchy..

I really should skim the championships more too. I’ve been fully doing all events before moving on (except where the tier 4 in the first championship blocked me). But that gets expensive as so many require you to buy expensive cars for one-off races that I’m probably never going to drive again. I’m guessing that if you skim through using the cars you have and only buying a few new ones, later championships will gift you cars suitable for earlier tiers?
Naa did this myself today just because I only had one of the Polaris races with a third place or something so I didn't have it ticked.

Completed this evening but nothing else happens besides getting the tick for the series and championship. Purely a completionist thing.

xrnzaaas

Yeah no shit, I was just driving the SUV championship in the Breakout series and when we came to Road America, the AI was on beast mode, could not catch up to second and first and 4th was on my tail on the straights. Then about lap 7/10 second and first some how dropped their lap times and I finished in 1st. Is there a known issue with AI difficulty spikes and drops at all?

Yep, I had that several times when about 2 laps before the end (during a long race) the AI has slowed down considerably. This not only suddenly allowed me to advance to 1st place but also maintain a pretty safe 2-3 second lead. I don't think it happens on every track though and not if you're quite a lot behind on the final laps.

As for the Polaris this is going to be the first car I'll sell when the auction house starts working. Lowest possible price, just please take it. ;)

What about waiting and then using the VIP mods and then the 2X bonus when that comes out?
This. Pretty much all my credit grinding has come to a halt now while they implement the 2x.

Have about 17 high level cars sitting on the rewards screen as I don't have the coins for them now haha

I put a nice career tune on the storefront if you fancy trying it. Much better for throttle modulation and overall pliability...

Klocker

Two simple little things I wish FM would borrow from PC2.

Seeing your rear end and wing when looking behind you (that is way too cool) and an engineer or someone in your ear giving you encouragement or race advice during races.

Anyone have or know of a nice R class tune for the 2014 BMW M4 Coupe Forza Edition VIP car?

Seems like it's going to be a good cash car for running N'Ring races if the lap times are quick enough.

Anyone have or know of a nice R class tune for the 2014 BMW M4 Coupe Forza Edition VIP car?

Seems like it's going to be a good cash car for running N'Ring races if the lap times are quick enough.

I'll have a crack at it later if you want. How do you prefer the handling? Neutral or with a bias?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Don Joewon Song is at it again!

Forza 7 - The 4,000,000cr Race - Insane Money and XP!!

50 laps of the Nordschleife in a 2017 F1 car.

I have been playing today and am getting used to the handling now, also decided to get a CR-20,000 loot-box as I had no mods left other than my in-used VIP ones, seemed to get some ok mods, will get back more then I spent as I am doing the long races.

Dunno how he stays on the track...

LoveCake

This. Pretty much all my credit grinding has come to a halt now while they implement the 2x.

Have about 17 high level cars sitting on the rewards screen as I don't have the coins for them now haha

What do you mean "sitting on the rewards screen as you don't have the CR's for" once you level up and if you pick a car as the reward and you don't the the CR's it saves the car somewhere for you to get later?

This brings me onto another question, the other day I picked the Mercedes GTR GT3 and when I went back I already had the car but in a different livery, if a car comes up on the rewards for leveling up and you pick it and you already have the exact same car (livery as well) does it give you the car again, or does it offer you CR's instead, or does it never offer you a car if you already have the exact same car (livery as well)?

Dunno how he stays on the track...

I know, it doesn't seem worth it as he is picking all the CR-50,000 rewards, better to have the cars I would think, would be worth more I would think, I suppose it depends on how you look at it, and he has all the cars anyway I would think.

It is the time that gets me it takes, on Forza 6 I did the money races at Sebring I think it was and that was about three hours and that was enough for me really.

Here is a similar race on Forza 6 Forza Motorsport 6 - The 2.300.000XP Race - How to level up 58 times in one race
and TEN hour race on Forza Horizon 3! Forza Horizon 3 - The 9,600,000XP Race - How to Level up 100 Timesmy issue would be worrying about the game freezing or something.

Fox Mulder

What do you mean "sitting on the rewards screen as you don't have the CR's for" once you level up and if you pick a car as the reward and you don't the the CR's it saves the car somewhere for you to get later?

This brings me onto another question, the other day I picked the Mercedes GTR GT3 and when I went back I already had the car but in a different livery, if a car comes up on the rewards for leveling up and you pick it and you already have the exact same car (livery as well) does it give you the car again, or does it offer you CR's instead, or does it never offer you a car if you already have the exact same car (livery as well)?

You can skip the level reward and it saves it for you to get later.

I haven't seen repeated car rewards. The game has some cars that are exactly the same only with different liveries and are counted as separate cars.

Noobcraft

As others have said, Formula E AI seems broken. I have the game on expert, and put together some reasonable times around Lime Rock (Top 4% Worldwide), but the AI were putting up top 2% times consistently. I didn't even see the AI after the 2nd lap (dropped to 24th place) for the remainder of the 13 lap race. I finished 40 seconds back from first place and 30 seconds back from 23rd. My best lap was around ~1:03, and the AI were consistently doing 1:01s-1:02s.

Edit: Replayed it. Managed to get 12th place and set a top 1% time WW. I'm convinced that it's impossible to win this first race on expert difficulty.

ghibli99

Speaking of the Polaris, in the first campaign tier, I was doing fine with 'above average' difficulty throughout (felt perfect, where I was only squeaking by into first on the last lap), and then on Maple Valley, I could not seem to get in higher than 5th or 6th place. I think it was due to how few opportunities to catch up there are on the short circuit (hardly any turns). I put it back down to 'average', and I was in first place before the first lap was over, so it went from seemingly impossible to easy mode. So yeah, there's some strange stuff going on.

Edit: Didn't use any mods; maybe that might've changed things...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yeah the 20k box is more than enough to earn a lot of (extra) money, especially with long races. Actually some rare/legendary mods from the 50k box can be problematic because of their requirements (like making several perfect passes in 1 race or completing an entire race without leaving the track even for a second).

Turn off damage, ram the AI in the first corner(s). ;p

Speaking of AI it's insanely good in Sebring and Road America. Also in previous FM games I've rarely switched the difficulty level, here I have to tweak the AI for each championship or even for each race (I can win on unbeatable on one track and finish 3rd or 4th on 60% difficulty on another track despite driving flawlessly).

Agreed on both. 20,000 crates are so much more useful than the expensive ones for mods. Those greens will dish out easy money, while the purples have a rather shitty payout for having such steep requirements. Also the game kind of sucks at judging turns and other nonsense, finding it very unreliable in its judgements and prefer to just sell those ‘perfect’ cards off than try them anymore.

The AI is so inconsistent. I’ll blow them away one race, and the next feel it’s near impossible to keep pace despite little change in my driving on the same setting.

ghibli99

I dunno, after being excited to finally have access to Forza again after loving 1-4, this has not really been a very welcoming hug back into the franchise that Turn 10 almost had polished to perfection in the 360 era. Feels a bit amateurish despite the dynamic weather being pretty awesome and the game looking pretty. I can't believe I may be having buyer remorse over choosing a Forza title over GT.
Played some more yesterday, and I'm kinda with you. I mean, it's *good*, don't get me wrong, but I'm also feeling like I'm just going through the motions. I popped in Driveclub just to see (I've never really loved that game), but I ended up going through 6 or so events, and had a great time doing so... which makes me wonder if I'm kinda done with the Forza Motorsport formula? Even Horizon 3 didn't keep me glued to it the way the two previous entries did. Changes seem iterative in FM7, but perhaps not substantial enough to set it apart from its predecessors. Gonna play more to see how I feel, but like you, I miss the days where they were banging on all cylinders in the 360 era. There just wasn't a better racing game series at the time IMO. I don't know if GTS offers enough to hook me either, but I'm thinking of giving it a go, just to see.

I would be fine with the game right now if it just ran at 100%, 100% of the time. I'm really tired of waiting for something that just works. Tried PCars2 and it has issues too, so back to the starting line. Again.

Hawk269

Has Helios or anyone from Turn 10 mentioned what they are working for on a Patch? There are a lot of little issues and some big ones that I hope they address. For me I am waiting for the VIP thing to be fixed, AI issues, ability to add AI drivers in a private room, audio issues when playing on-line where at times the sound level drops for a bit then turns back up, Auction House being released and improved steering wheel support.

While I am loving the game, it seems like it was rushed out even though it releases at this time every other year. I wonder if the stress and added workload of having a PC version in addition to them working on Xbox One X version has caused all these little issue to be apparent. I have to it is the most issues I have experienced with a mainline Forza game outside of typical launch issues with VIP for 5 & 6, but those were fixed quickly. Just seems like we are a good 2-3 patches away from it being really ready for Prime Time. A for the record, anyone that knows me knows I am big Forza fan, have owned every Forza game ever made and when available always bought the Limited Editions (Physical) or Ultimate versions of the game...but as a fan, we need to voice our concerns in hopes that Turn 10 will listen and take things into consideration...with that said my constant complaints about Pit Stops since Forza 2 has fell on deaf ears. lol. ::))

Hawk269

Played some more yesterday, and I'm kinda with you. I mean, it's *good*, don't get me wrong, but I'm also feeling like I'm just going through the motions. I popped in Driveclub just to see (I've never really loved that game), but I ended up going through 6 or so events, and had a great time doing so... which makes me wonder if I'm kinda done with the Forza Motorsport formula? Even Horizon 3 didn't keep me glued to it the way the two previous entries did. Changes seem iterative in FM7, but perhaps not substantial enough to set it apart from its predecessors. Gonna play more to see how I feel, but like you, I miss the days where they were banging on all cylinders in the 360 era. There just wasn't a better racing game series at the time IMO. I don't know if GTS offers enough to hook me either, but I'm thinking of giving it a go, just to see.

I get what you are saying and feel a little bit the same. I am enjoying the game and like I just posted there are some issues with the game. I think they have added a lot this year, especially having some changes to lighting/TOD on each course instead of sterile/always the same which to me is a HUGE improvement. However, with that said I still think that Forza 4 was the pinnacle of the series. I hope they provide more patching of this game than they have in the past. There are some really great things in F7 and I feel they are a good 2-3 patches away from perfecting and changing a few things to make things a lot better.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Were you not supposed to get in game rewards if you played all the other forzas? If so how does this happen?

Top Bottom