• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 announced (360, Xbox One), releasing this fall

At IGN they added a small update to clarify that Playground Games is solely working on and focusing only on the Xbox One version, while Sumo Digital is working on the 360 version using the Forza Horizon 1 engine.

I cannot wait to see screens and hopefully video. The first game was so damn good. Not sure why there is such a big negative vibe from many posters in this thread. I would assume that most of these folks have not played the first game. If screen shots and videos look like shit, then I can understand the negative comments, but we have so much little info to go on as of today for so many people to be negative.
Yeah, just read that. Can't freakin' wait to see this game.

Megatron

Probably the best racing game this year.

I5aR4yX.gif

TrueGrime

No I'm buying one eventually, for $299, whenever that happens. Just saying this game won't be enough to make me grab one at $399 plus Live subscription, at this time, due to power gap.

I've owned every console ever made so far. Except Wii U.

Anyway, please carry on about the game.

Well thanks for letting us know bud!

This sounds like the sort of behavior that would be among their ideal responses to the announcements?

It's hard to ignore the XBox 360 userbase so I can see why they are doing it and why many other games are still coming out cross-gen. I'm glad two different teams are working on it so hopefully we get a real distinction of how much better the XBox One is because TitanFall didn't really. What's interesting is they are announcing this prior to E3. Must have one hell of a show to announce.

Colbert

Banned
So many comments and we haven't seen anything but a cover?! How this will end tomorrow we see screenshots?

P a t i e n c e

TrueGrime

It's hard to ignore the XBox 360 userbase so I can see why they are doing it and why many other games are still coming out cross-gen. I'm glad two different teams are working on it so hopefully we get a real distinction of how much better the XBox One is because TitanFall didn't really. What's interesting is they are announcing this prior to E3. Must have one hell of a show to announce.

Yup. I think that's the way it should be with games that will release on current and next gen. Different developers develop the game.

you guys think they added snow in the weather system? in south europe there arent a lots of place where use to snow ..

Weren't the winter Olympics in Italy once recently? There's mountainous regions in S. Europe that have snow.

Edit: Torino 06 was in Turin, Italy

Hunter S.

I'm kinda hoping we get a "best-of" compilation of various terrains from around the Med.

Assuming they pull from a similar geographical area to the original, they're gonna be spoilt for choice:

The only problem will be pulling it all together into a single cohesive map...

(side note: Colorado is fucking huge, holy shit)

Hopefully, it has diverse terrain. Part of the reason they chose Colorado originally is it has so much variety in climate in one region. Obviously, they did not represent the state ultra realistically, but realistically enough so it looks sort of like the state. They should do the same in the second I am sure.

golem

Honestly, they're pretty low quality, and don't exactly paint the game in a great light.

If you want to show off the original, there are much better ways of doing so. Albeit not embeddable.

Its pretty cool how the Forza Horizon scene is on Youtube.. plenty of videos of people drag racing, cruising, having car meets, etc etc. I hope Microsoft expands the social features of the game tenfold in the sequel.

TsuWave

If you're really concerned about getting top performance you'd invest in a PC.

you know, maybe he wants "top" performance in the console realm.

telling people to get a pc whenever they say the performance of the xbox one doesn't justify its price proposition is questionable in my eyes

TheKayle

Banned
Weren't the winter Olympics in Italy once recently? There's mountains regions in S. Europe that have snow.

Edit: Torino 06 was in Turin, Italy

yes turin is near the mountains but poiting at south europe as "playground" i would cut out that type of scenario like turin.... when u think at south europe . u wanna see ..yellow fields..dry terrain...sun everywhere and sea..there sisnt a lots of difference in weather between turin (italy) and lugano (switzerland)...so coming back to the topic i dont think they add snow as effect

m23

So we're getting a preview and screens tomorrow? I guess we'll have to wait til e3 to get some actual footage.

RawNuts

This isn't enough to tempt me at $399. Still need $299 for me to buy a kinectless xbone at this point.

I am a console graphics whore, I always have the top performing console. And IMO there's no way FH is going to be able to compete with #Driveclub visually for the fact that you are dealing with about 600 less gigaflops in power for the xbone (equivalent to two 360's duct taped on), and much less memory bandwidth.

So it's going to take something else to get me to spend another $399 plus $50.

Also the fact that a new Gran Tourismo is incoming, and that Project Cars on PS4 will use Morpheus.

I'm sure previous fans will love the game regardless though.

Does Gran Tourismo interest you more than Fourza?

Synth

Fuck I would prefer the sumo version for xbone.

umm... why?

I love Sumo, but why would they be considered preferable to Playground Games for Forza Horizon? Playground Games are responsible for everything great about the first entry, and made one of the most technically sound 360 games ever performance-wise. Sumo had the disadvantage of dealing with multiplats, but nothing they put out on 360 compares favourably in terms of performance (even for something like Outrun, which was running at 60fps on the OG Xbox).

It's not like Sumo making the Xbox One version would magically turn it into Sonic Transformed.

golem

you guys think they added snow in the weather system? in south europe there arent a lots of place where use to snow ..

I dont think a dry road will suddenly get snowed upon and change the physics of the pavement but hopefully they will include some snowy mountain drives for us to play on.

you know, maybe he wants "top" performance in the console realm.

telling people to get a pc whenever they say the performance of the xbox one doesn't justify its price proposition is questionable in my eyes

This game isn't coming to the PS4 so the whole performance gap is irrelevant to the discussion to begin with. On top of that he mentions Project Cars which is why I mentioned the PC since he seems to care so much about performance. His whole post was very questionable but he's been exploited enough, let's move on.

abadguy

Banned
umm... why?

I love Sumo, but why would they be considered preferable to Playground Games for Forza Horizon? Playground Games are responsible for everything great about the first entry, and made one of the most technically sound 360 games ever performance-wise. Sumo had the disadvantage of dealing with multiplats, but nothing they put out on 360 compares favourably in terms of performance (even for something like Outrun, which was running at 60fps on the OG Xbox).

It's not like Sumo making the Xbox One version would magically turn it into Sonic Transformed.

Really looking forward to what Playground will do with X1 hardware, if what we got on the 360 was any indication this game will be gorgeous on current hardware.

statham

This isn't enough to tempt me at $399. Still need $299 for me to buy a kinectless xbone at this point.

I am a console graphics whore, I always have the top performing console. And IMO there's no way FH is going to be able to compete with #Driveclub visually for the fact that you are dealing with about 600 less gigaflops in power for the xbone (equivalent to two 360's duct taped on), and much less memory bandwidth.

Also the fact that a new Gran Tourismo is incoming, and that Project Cars on PS4 will use Morpheus.

Bravo. I can feel how much this upsets you that you have to enter this thread to post this.

Does a bigger player count online make it a better game?

I would argue yes it does in many cases. More people playing = better odds of different game modes and playlists being populated (see the issue with Titanfall PC), a wider range of skill levels (many games with very low player populations only have the hardcore try-hards left, which makes the game no fun for beginners or people who just aren't as good), and helps to keep the game alive longer ("well everyone is playing this game so I might as well too" wanting to play with your friends, etc).

#dead

Filaipus

Banned

Actually there are, a lot of mountains in that region. Its freaking cold in the winter in some of those countries. I'm from Portugal
:-D

Kuni

Am trying to think of another example where we have two developers making the same game but... with different engines and hardware....

For the games to be exactly the same design decisions and stuff will still need to be made with the 360 and the old engine both in mind.

Just weird.

Actually I can think of one really old school example... There was this boxing game on PS2 called... royal rumble or something. I played it at my friends house on his PS2 and liked it. I saw it a while later for PS1 (which I only had) and bought it. It was like a completely different game. I returned it the next day and learned my lesson :p

Synth

Am trying to think of another example where we have two developers making the same game but... with different engines and hardware....

For the games to be exactly the same design decisions and stuff will still need to be made with the 360 and the old engine both in mind.

Just weird.

Actually I can think of one really old school example... There was this boxing game on PS2 called... royal rumble or something. I played it at my friends house on his PS2 and liked it. I saw it a while later for PS1 (which I only had) and bought it. It was like a completely different game. I returned it the next day and learned my lesson :p

Splinter Cell Double Agent?

I'm confident this will turn out better than that did.

Gestault

Just weird.

Many of the cross-gen titles from the beginning of the PS3/X360 era followed this structure. Ubisoft and EA titles pop into mind. The results were generally well received.

Doc-Rivers.gif

Kelsey

Banned
Fuck I would prefer the sumo version for xbone.

Hmmmm do I go with Sumo, who have proven time and time again that they can't make a racing game with a locked solid framerate or Playground, the company that produced the best racing game all of last gen? Tough call, but I'm going with Playground on this one.

Daemul

2479220-1578648373-gw-cl.gif

Kuni

Splinter Cell Double Agent?

I'm confident this will turn out better than that did.

Good shout. Although those versions seem a little bit more separate than FH2 will be.

However I wonder about the process. Say if Playground wanted to put this specific car into FH2. Do they first have to run this by Sumo just in case it's not possible to get the car into the 360 version & engine without massive compromises?

It's actually quite interesting. Splinter Cell makes sense... they clearly went "well here's the brief... off you go you two teams and do your own things" and you got two versions with differences. FH2... I just really want to know how they are approaching this with the core differences. Interesting.

Top Bottom