• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 - Hotwheels Expansion

Been playing this quite a bit. It's the first thing to successfully distract me from my Switch since I got it. Really great to see the PC version finally sorted out too. About to try on my Xbox One just because.

Playground Games are the best car game studio out there. No question. The base game was really good... but the expansions have been god tier. I can't wait to see what they do in Forza Horizon 4.

Lorcain

I bought Forza 3 + the expansion pass on PC, and my gawd this game is good. The Hotwheels expansion is one of the best DLCs I've played on any platform, ever. I was smiling non stop like a kid during the first intro drive to the hotwheels area.

It runs really well on my 980gtx, and surprisingly barely makes the GPU fan work on ultra. This is the definitive racing game right now (that's not a kart game named after Mario).

PSYGN

I just bought this game for this expansion. It first locked me from playing saying I need an XBOX Live Gold subscription (why is this online only?). So I put in my 2 day trial code. Now it says "This feature is currently locked. Keep playing to unlock it". I just dropped $40 on the game and $20 for this expansion. I just want to play the Hotwheels expansion, ffs. Why are they making me bend over just to play the Hotwheels portion? I read in another thread for the Blizzard expansion that Turn 10 made you unlock 3 festival sites before you can play it, but they never said the minimum inside the game. Really frustrated right now. What's the bare minimum I need to do to play Hotwheels DLC?

I just bought this game for this expansion. It first locked me from playing saying I need an XBOX Live Gold subscription (why is this online only?). So I put in my 2 day trial code. Now it says "This feature is currently locked. Keep playing to unlock it". I just dropped $40 on the game and $20 for this expansion. I just want to play the Hotwheels expansion, ffs. Why are they making me bend over just to play the Hotwheels portion? I read in another thread for the Blizzard expansion that Turn 10 made you unlock 3 festival sites before you can play it, but they never said the minimum inside the game. Really frustrated right now. What's the bare minimum I need to do to play Hotwheels DLC?

The game isn't online only. Campaign works fine offline. I'm pretty sure you don't need Gold either if single player is fine by you.

I thought I read the unlock requirements was the same as Blizzard Mountain. You need to unlock the 3rd festival site. It's a pain if the expansion is the only thing you want to play, but it doesn't take a whole lot of time. I think my in-game level was like 20, maybe less.

Just enjoy playing the game, and focus on getting fans to unlock sites. Anna even has an option for "I need fans" and then auto-route you to the best event nearby. The main game is amazing, plus all of the cars you earn will be useful to have in some of the hot wheels races.

My recommendation for your third site is the outback one. That way, once you get that 3rd site you will unlock blizzard mountain and hot wheels at once.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
finished all the single events/zones etc and the last event. But in the stats it says 0/28 championships? Where are those - are they making each of the events into the start point of a championship? Not sure I feel like basically re-racing each of those events another 2-3 times as part of championships so if that is all they are I might leave them.

Levelled up nicely though - now level 104. seemed quicker at levelling me up than previously.

Still flaky on PC for me though - crashed a few times, wasn't locked at 60fps even with a 6700l + gtx1080, and sometimes would just pause for 5 seconds every 30 seconds or so which made it unplayable. I turned on 'game mode' which actually seemed to improve things so maybe it was something in background like antivirus messing with it but it was sporadic - sometimes an entire session would be smooth, other times completely messed up

finished all the single events/zones etc and the last event. But in the stats it says 0/28 championships? Where are those - are they making each of the events into the start point of a championship? Not sure I feel like basically re-racing each of those events another 2-3 times as part of championships so if that is all they are I might leave them.

Championships is exactly that, for a race to be fully completed you need to race the exhibition, then race a championship that starts from said race. Naturally what I do for that grind is simply pick the second and third races as the shortest tracks with just one lap and my most OP car.

Cyanity

Banned
Cracked and bought this last night. Having a blast so far! I finally found a grip tune for the hot wheels dragster, which kind of opened up the tracks for me. I'd like to try out some new vehicles though! Could people recommend some?

rrs

it was reduced to second festival in the new update

Wiped89

I'm really strongly disliking this expansion if I'm honest.

It just isn't very fun. My car spins after every jump causing constant rewinds. Sometimes it bloody spins while driving in a straight fucking line, even with all the traction controls on. And the AI cars are so much faster. Even when I pick a car which is fast on paper, the AI breeze straight past me on every straight.

Honestly, this expansion is a very sour end to an otherwise great game.

a.wd

It just isn't very fun. My car spins after every jump causing constant rewinds. Sometimes it bloody spins while driving in a straight fucking line, even with all the traction controls on. And the AI cars are so much faster. Even when I pick a car which is fast on paper, the AI breeze straight past me on every straight.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

never had that issue with cars spinning out, but it wasn't as much fun as Blizzard Mountain or the core game. It was quite fast to finish, and a little dull after the first few races. The AI did seem a bit weird - flying past you at the start but then visibly fucking up/slowing down about 2/3 through races like over eager rubber banding.

leeh

All these reads like is "I'm bad at the game so this game is bad".

Wiped89

All these reads like is "I'm bad at the game so this game is bad".

I've put 80 hours into this game, as I did FH2 and FH1 before the. and I'm level 300, having cleared most of the main game at Expert or Highly Skilled. It's not just me, this expansion just doesn't play right. That's just my opinion. Sorry.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Agreed on the spinouts. I am finding the expansion unplayable with my racing wheel unlike the core game as it really is literally impossible to drive and maintain even basic control on straights or turns at all. It is as of the plastic courses are covered in a layer of slippery grease not existent outside this expansion. Kept wondering if it was just me and am glad to see I am not alone. Haven't tried the controller much with it to compare though.

leeh

I've put 80 hours into this game, as I did FH2 and FH1 before the. and I'm level 300, having cleared most of the main game at Expert or Highly Skilled. It's not just me, this expansion just doesn't play right. That's just my opinion. Sorry.
The track is slippier but its not that hard, AWD is always key.

Like I play with no assists and its a blast. You can have your car sideways on some awesome large sweeping bends.

univbee

Really? I actually am expecting them to do it for Horizon 3. You have Scorpio launching in the fall so this just makes sense to have an ultimate $60 package with both expansions on shelves with it

They will do what the lion's share of GOTY releases on current-gen consoles do and just have the "vanilla" game on disc and give you a voucher to claim and download the DLC. Both the PS4 and Xbox One explicitly don't allow for multiple discs being a thing (this was a big part of why it took so long to find a workaround for 360 BC games spanning multiple discs). Halo 5 is a 97 gig install and requires a 51.6 gig update or some such; unfortunately if you have slow or heavily restricted internet you really have to pick and choose what games you get this gen.

Spasm

Do you have the throttle pegged in a jump? You lose considerable speed flying through the air, and you could be doing a burnout when you land.

Fox Mulder

I've put 250+ hours in and level 1000. I haven't had any issues you have besides the AI having a physics advantage on the long turns and corkscrews. The track is slicker, just like you'd imagine racing 1000 hp cars on plastic tracks.

I do think it's a nice novelty diversion, but there wasnt enough meat to keep me playing it long.

Lorcain

Has anyone run into an issue of completely losing their sound after a FH3 update on PC? I can hear the audio during the intro movie, but absolutely no sound in game.

I've been thinking about getting the Hot Wheels expansion for the past few weeks and seeing the expansion pass for $17.50 was too good to pass up.

Really fun to see the developers taking the game in a different direction. Can't describe just how fresh this feels. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a reason to jump back in to FH3.

Top Bottom