• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

aries_71

Tideas said:
why is everyone all excited that this is 60 fps? It's a racing game...60 fps should be standard, lol.

Also, while the graphics look nice, there's something about it that just doesn't look right from the GT trailer I saw. Maybe it's the flashyness? How the car paint kept reflecting?

Still can't hold candle to GT5:p though. Playing a GT5:p video featuring the Audi R8, and F3 R8, and you realize GT5:p is in a league of its own.

Is this guy having a meltdown? I mean, he must be joking or having a mental breakdown of gargantuan proportions.

zoukka

Damage
Tire deformation
60fps (finally)
Cockpit view

(is the painting still there?)

Gives GT a pretty fucking good run for it's money.

vanty

Rollovers should set the car damage to maximum, but not totally write the car off meaning you have to reset the whole race. The in-car camera needs to shake around like crazy as well, and momentarily have blurry eyes and things like that. The one in the demo just seemed really arcadey.

Burai

shitonmychest57
See said:
The R8 had its lights on... does that mean we could turn the lights on and off... Night time racing?!! :O
Audi LEDs are always on.

Wait tip you get a set behind you in your rear view, partially blinding you as you're trying to drive.

test_account

XP-39C²
aries_71 said:
Is this guy having a meltdown? I mean, he must be joking or having a mental breakdown of gargantuan proportions.
What is the definition of a meltdown? Isnt it when a person goes crazy as in "screaming" and being angry? Although he seems to prefer GT5:p more than what we have seen from Forza 3, his post seems rather calm, at least in my opinion :)

EDIT: I forgot to say, Forza 3 looks pretty good i must say :) I am looking forward to see more from the game :)

Andrew2

Banned
Why are people comparing Forza 3 CG trailer to make a comparison to GT5P? If anything I would wait to see actual in-game gameplay footage rather than make an assumption based on a CG trailer.

Andrew2 said:
Why are people comparing Forza 3 CG trailer to make a comparison to GT5P? If anything I would wait to see actual in-game gameplay footage rather than make an assumption based on a CG trailer.
:D

KHarvey16

Andrew2 said:

We have gameplay footage.

gantz85

Banned
Andrew2 said:

Not CG; we got some in-game gameplay graphics which looked comparable to GT5, the screenshots here are in-game photomode with AA and whatever extra spit and polish, and the "trailer" they showed at the end was a video playback of in-game video that players can cut and edit.

If the last one (video playback) is real I am honestly impressed.

Burai said:
Audi LEDs are always on.

Wait tip you get a set behind you in your rear view, partially blinding you as you're trying to drive.

Eh, LED are no where near as bad as Xenon lights. God damn I hate those motherfuckers.

... Yet I secretly wish I had a set. High speed night runs Mmmmmm.

Chrange

Banned
Andrew2 said:

Speaking of that, did anyone decipher these barely readable letters at the start of the video?

2uz2i4m.jpg

I think I see an 'A' in there, but maybe someone can clean that up a bit.

screens look great, but i hope to god the final game doesn't have the aliassing that forza 2 has. the more realistic the racer is, the more distracting jaggies get imo.

guggnichso

Banned
Andrew2 said:

There is no CG trailer. It IS in-game footage.

And seriously - whoever thinks that GT5:prologue looks better than this should get their eyes checked.

gantz85

Banned
guggnichso said:

And seriously - whoever thinks that GT5:prologue looks better than this should get their eyes checked.

We heard the same thing when people thought GT5:p looked better than Forza 2.. but noooo now it REALLY looks better.. :lol

guggnichso said:

This is incorrect - Che already mentioned that the "official" trailer from E3 was CG. The replay trailer is online and made entirely from replays of the game (aka in-engine). However, as pointed out above, it seems even the replay video is calling itself GAMEPLAY footage, which technically it is... replay editor gameplay!:lol

Oh and someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about the cockpit looking "just not quite there yet" which I must agree with. It looks amazing (the modeling is great) but the lighting used makes everything look kind of off / digital rather than looking like the proper materials. Not a big deal, but this IS gaming discussion - so completely valid.

evolution

guggnichso said:

I think some people are exagerrating a little. The best thing about about Forza's graphics are definitely the tracks, but they've always looked better though. I still give the nod to GT when it comes to car models though. Forza's are a massive improvement from F2 but still a step behind, at least based on whats been shown so far

gantz85

Banned
SimpleDesign said:
Care to back that up?

Just look at the GT5:p threads.

xenorevlis said:
This is incorrect - Che already mentioned that the "official" trailer from E3 was CG. The replay trailer is online and made entirely from replays of the game (aka in-engine). However, as pointed out above, it seems even the replay video is calling itself GAMEPLAY footage, which technically it is... replay editor gameplay!:lol

Oh and someone earlier in the thread mentioned something about the cockpit looking "just not quite there yet" which I must agree with. It looks amazing (the modeling is great) but the lighting used makes everything look kind of off / digital rather than looking like the proper materials. Not a big deal, but this IS gaming discussion - so completely valid.

Interesting. We'll know better when they release gameplay videos in HD though.

gantz85 said:
Just look at the GT5:p threads.

Interesting. We'll know better when they release gameplay videos in HD though.
Well, the cockpit view from the gameplay during Microsoft's conference looked beautiful.

I think the screens of the cockpit are in the "garage" or wherever Turn 10 will be sticking your lot of cars. They have plenty of time to mess around with the lighting, which looks best in motion anyway (see Forza 1's garage and GT5:p's locale backgrounds).

Gowans

I've just been talking with a bud about this, we can't wait. Proper (flipping) physics too, finally!

Man I hope the online and customer cars is as fun as 2.

HoTHiTTeR

I dont understand why I've been defending this so wildly today on our EFNet channels. This game is gonna seriously be racer GOTY. Hands down. I dont give 2 shits what sony debuts tomorrow, F2 was my racer of the generation, now I get Forza 3?! Fuck yeah! I'm praying for a demo soon, just something, a morsel. No "bringing it home" is really sad. It's something I've become so used to.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I must admit, Forza 3 is a remarkable improvement over Forza 2 at least in the graphics.

Only problem is, I don't play sim racers...

jax (old)

Banned
my reaction to this is meh. I'd take NFS shift/Blur + more arcade games. looks alright I guess but I got bored of FORZA2 fast.

watership

I've come into this channel only to read the posts that start with "Meh, I don't even like Sim racers so Forza 3 doesn't look so special to me."

Ahh. And there they are.

guggnichso

Banned
xenorevlis said:

I'm talking of the trailer on the official site. Didn't know that they used a different one in the press conference, haven't seen that fully yet.

xenorevlis said:

That's completely ok, but the overall look of Forza 3 compared to GT5:p... no. GT5:p doesn't look better. Absolutely not.

_Angelus_

Banned
Tideas said:
why is everyone all excited that this is 60 fps? It's a racing game...60 fps should be standard, lol.

Also, while the graphics look nice, there's something about it that just doesn't look right from the GT trailer I saw. Maybe it's the flashyness? How the car paint kept reflecting?

Still can't hold candle to GT5:p though. Playing a GT5:p video featuring the Audi R8, and F3 R8, and you realize GT5:p is in a league of its own.

Yet another butt hurt Sony nut case invades a thread over this great game.
You need relief.
Preparation_H_Suppositories_12x.jpg

Iknos

SimpleDesign said:
Care to back that up?

He's making it up. The GT5:p threads had nothing like that.

gantz85 said:
We heard the same thing when people thought GT5:p looked better than Forza 2.. but noooo now it REALLY looks better.. :lol

I can almost taste the bitterness of some of the tears here.

What has to be cleared up is whether or not the full motion blur is in-game and not replay.

As far as aliasing goes IIRC FM2 changed resolution on the fly. I think Wipeout also does this. But for FM2 it resulted in some cases of it looking very jaggy especially with the high contrast reflections.

Looks like they fixed that (I can still notice some aliasing, but at least it's at HD resolutions).

But yeah, I remember seeing the comparison of GT5 vs Forza 2 on Sim Racing Tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M5gQIKkYYA

What's great is that all of the issues the guys had with Forza, despite it winning, have been addressed (and then some!).

I remember watching that episode thinking "Things like cockpit view would be nice, but it won't happen this generation".

They're gonna do an "ultimate sim" show at some point, it would be neat to see how FM3 stacks compared to it.

p3tran

Banned
shit!! all console defenders should go elsewhere.

this thread has no tolerance for trolling!

and Che, BRING THE MUTHAFUCKA HOME!!!! dude!!

gantz85

Banned
Iknos said:
He's making it up. The GT5:p threads had nothing like that.

Sigh. Just read the threads where che was involved, including the one where he was presumably banned over trolling GT5:p.

I'm not pissing on your parade though, I think Forza 3 looks great, but your accusation is unfounded.

JayDub

AndersTheSwede said:
If it looks damn good in fucking .gif form then in HD it must be...

awesome? Wrong. Look at all the .gifs of games with known aliasing and it actually hides it. Many times .gifs actually make the graphics look better..

AMUSIX

Hmm...I'm going to have to get a US LCE...then figure out how to get it signed by the team at Turn 10 so that it matches my EU LCE of Forza 2.

yes...I have Che's autograph...

RayStorm

Am I right in believing the Multi-Screen Gaming returns? And that it also works with the in-car view? [Edit: Seems like the poster above confirmed that right while I was typing...]

If so, just one wish: Please, PLEASE allow me to adjust the camera position. That's the one annoyance I have with most games, fixed cameras that are either too far back, too low or elseway not fit to be driven with. [Edit: By the looks above, at least in multi screen that looks damn well done though]

Considering that the shining example of cockpit driven games (F355 Challenge) is already 10 years old, that's quite astonishing.

Oh and please avoid the PGR4 cockpit view trap of not allowing a HUD at the same time too... [edit: which by the looks above has been avoided...

Damn, I'm psyched! Just need to finally get a third 360 then, I guess.

And the F355 Challenge will be in the game, right?]

gantz85

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Please shut the fuck up with the comparisons.

Forza 3 looks fantastic, in and of its own right.

I honestly don't think anyone disgrees that it looks fantastic. But nothing exists in a vacuum; a more volatile example is GT5:p constantly getting compared to Forza 2 by F2 fans when the first screens and gameplay videos were released. It's documented history on GAF.

Then you have comparisons of inFAMOUS to Prototype, of Killzone 2 to Gears 2, etc etc.

This is the way the industry and the way GAF works. It's not your first day here, you're a regular. And it's certainly not going to change just because of Forza 3.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Gowans007 said:
OK that's it, looks like I'm buying a new wheel then

It feels awesome to go into a corner faced with understeer, only to kick the clutch to induce rear slippage and then modulate throttle to power-over for the turn. It's so subtle but the fact that you can ride that edge of traction all the way through while adjusting all the while puts Forza physics into a whole separate category. It's a gameplay mechanic I've really yet to experience in any other racing game on consoles.

Spasm

Gowans007 said:
cock pit view + multiscreen = WOW!

10826268622.jpg
Add TrackIR to that and HOLY SHIT! Moving your head to see around the A-Pillar... :I~~~~~~~

Edit: Che, it's time to start testing the viability of Natal head-tracking with your game. Please?

Top Bottom