• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Gowans

chespace said:
It feels awesome to go into a corner faced with understeer, only to kick the clutch to induce rear slippage and then modulate throttle to power-over for the turn. It's so subtle but the fact that you can ride that edge of traction all the way through while adjusting all the while puts Forza physics into a whole separate category. It's a gameplay mechanic I've really yet to experience in any other racing game on consoles.

Yeah I can't wait. As a driver in the UK clutch is standard and can't wait to use it in game, a bunch of my buds are going to by over the moon with this.

eso76

chespace said:
It feels awesome to go into a corner faced with understeer, only to kick the clutch to induce rear slippage and then modulate throttle to power-over for the turn. It's so subtle but the fact that you can ride that edge of traction all the way through while adjusting all the while puts Forza physics into a whole separate category. It's a gameplay mechanic I've really yet to experience in any other racing game on consoles.

I assume this means new Microsoft wheel coming ? : )

Edit: Che, it's time to start testing the viability of Natal head-tracking with your game. Please?

not feasible yet i believe. Natal would eat up quite some cpu for that.
Plus, when you think of it, that wouldn't be practical in real life, unless you're playing with the tv glued to your head...since if you turn to your side you won't be able to see the screen anymore...or you would have to turn your head slightly and keep looking at the screen which is in front of you...not going to work.

Iknos

gantz85 said:
Sigh. Just read the threads where che was involved, including the one where he was presumably banned over trolling GT5:p.

Yeah, you're lying. End of story. We don't need this nonsense here.

10826268622.jpg

I'm assuming that's on the showfloor at E3? I think I'd spend my whole time there if that was the case.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Yes, on the show floor at E3. This ride of show is pretty crazy -- especially if you manage to roll the car. That's why there's a seat belt you HAVE to wear or else the cockpit/pod won't even turn on. :lol

We had a bunch of E3 judges come through tonight playing this rig. A good time was had by all.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Just...fucking...what???? HOW? IIRC Forza 2 had poly counts around 40k. That puts these cars just shy half a million polygons per.

WAT

That's the sortof thing you say when you compare your new game to it's prequel from a previous generation. Not to a game you released just a couple years ago on the same system.

I feel like I should keep typing something but I don't even know what to say. Jesus. Me=Floored.
When Bizarre said the same sort of thing about their PGR 3 cars they also said you only see about half of that in one go, because from outside the car the "cockpit" is not in full detail until you use the helmet camera. also they included the damaged areas so each car has multiple bumpers, one being shown at a time because the hidden ones are the damaged and bent ones.

amar212

chespace said:
Clutch pedal FTW. :D

Che, what about the actual availablility of the wheel?

Is Fanatec eager to provide good retail support and quantites and will be any bundleing on the way for easier purchase? Wil it be available from the first day all across Europe?

Also, what about the 3 SKU's for the wheel? How is going to be promoted?

And please do a big favour to all of us who own "old MS FF wheel" - what is the level of support for it, have you made changes to ff-effect implementation and what are they and plase do a pro/con comparation with the official MS wheel and Fanatec 911.

Much appriciated, thank you in advance.

holy crap, my GAF account still works :lol

Che, FM3 looks awwwwwwesooooooooommmmeeeee, massive congrats to all involved! Itching to get my hands on this, damn you!

acm2000

chespace: how about adding natal support when thats out, as said by a poster above, so it tracks your head in cockpit view :eek:

saladine1

Alright, so we've seen a taste of how it looks,(Bloody awesome!), now we need to know how it feels.

I'm blown away about the fact we now have:

Drag racing
Drift
Circuit
Oval....more tracks,more cars,more options etc...

Honestly, definitive may just be the right choice of word here...

Can't wait!

saladine1 said:
Alright, so we've seen a taste of how it looks,(Bloody awesome!), now we need to know how it feels.

I'm blown away about the fact we now have:

Drag racing
Drift
Circuit
Oval....more tracks,more cars,more options etc...

Honestly, definitive may just be the right choice of word here...

Can't wait!

fuck, missed that part.

the wheel with the clutch and H-shifter is only $330 bucks you say? hmmm :)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
eso76 said:
ok, i've seen the trailer.
I think i've seen a couple framerate hiccups here and there, so that means it's genuine replay footage edited together ?

if so i'd like to virtually shake hands with the guys at Turn 10. I didn't think that was possible.

Forza 2 + more race modes + cars + tracks + replay editor + cockpit view + improved physics + cars flipping + those graphics...wow. i'm in awe.
i don't think anything will top this as game of the show for me.

Agreed, its been near enough a day and I am still in awe of this game. I cannot wait to see more of it, hell even get my hands on it. I love Forza so much, easily the game of the show for me.

Well done Turn 10.

blanky

I really love that they revealed the game in this way, minus the definitive talk ;p but maybe he was just really excited, just showing a lot of stuff instead of some teaser. And more to come from this week, and only an october relase. It's fucking awesome :D

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
JoJo13 said:
Definitive relative to what? Nothing has released since Forza 2 in the sim department, unless you want to count GT5:p which is a prelude to the real thing and which does sport better physics than Forza 2.

Two Words. Race Pro.

Gowans007 said:
cock pit view + multiscreen = WOW!

10826268622.jpg

How does that work then? 3 networked 360s?

Please support Logitech wheels this time, I can't justify buying a second wheel when the one I have works perfectly with everything else.

test_account

XP-39C²
brain_stew said:
How does that work then? 3 networked 360s?
I would guess so, i think this is how they did it with Forza 2 at least, that you needed 3 Xbox 360 consoles if you wanted to use 3 screens at the same time :)

See

Cant you hook up a fourth 360 for the rear view mirror? I think you could with Forza 2.

This is the game of the show for me, I almost cried when I saw it in action. I'm not a big fan of cockpit views, I don't hate it, I just don't use it, but its really nice to have the option and it just makes the cars a helluva lot more gorgeous!

Damn... Rolling cars? How did you get that past the 50 odd manufacturers?!

Tire flex!!

Cube maps! One thing that I missed in Forza 2. (It was a feature, but was cut)

100 tracks! :O Hope ribbons don't count, but either way, I'm sure there are at least 25 unique locations.

Video editing?!? Uploading Hi def?!! So does that mean that it can be played anywhere, not limited to the game?!!! Team Blackjack is gonna have a friggin field day. Cant wait.

Seriously, Turn10 should get a damn medal for making such an accomplishment like this, it really is a generation leap!

Day 1 + LE edition + the Porsche clutch wheel(maybe but hella tempted).
Damn... Never been this excited about a game since Gears of War.

Btw, just a question for Che... Now that the jack is out of the box, what was up with the water references? hmm. A mister green smile would suffice :)

AMUSIX

See said:
Cant you hook up a fourth 360 for the rear view mirror? I think you could with Forza 2.
Actually, you could chain five 360's and five screens together. Three for the front, left, and right view, one for the rear view, and one for the spectator cam.

The one thing they haven't said is if the livery editor has seen any major changes. Personally, I'd like to see a PC version. Make it the same editor...just let me control it with a mouse on a PC screen.

eso76

"mountainous Montserrat region in Spain, the rugged Amalfi Coast in Italy"
damn, you guys are really going head to head with thatothergame in every aspect : )

Right now, the only thing that could possibly make me happier about FM3 would be the inclusion of my car (Citroen C4 coupe).

When can we expect footage from the showfloor ? should be as soon as today (june 2nd) right ? (also, to anyone there capturing footage...film REPLAYS TOO !)

i am somewhat worried the game will be delayed. there's just too much stuff.

See

AMUSIX said:
Actually, you could chain five 360's and five screens together. Three for the front, left, and right view, one for the rear view, and one for the spectator cam.

The one thing they haven't said is if the livery editor has seen any major changes. Personally, I'd like to see a PC version. Make it the same editor...just let me control it with a mouse on a PC screen.
That set up would be insanely awesome and nerdy. It would be nice if Turn10 done a demo of this setup, the full shabang.

About the livery editor on the PC... it certainly would be awesome, they did demo it for Forza 2, well not for Forza 2 per-say, live anywhere. I think it would be an announcement down the line, they did just kinda ignore it. But it would make it too easy, wouldn't it? :p

eso76 said:
i am somewhat worried the game will be delayed. there's just too much stuff.
Don't think there would be any delays this time round, Microsoft did announce the game really late into the calender (There probably were heaps of delays and such, buts its all good, we didn't know about them :p). Really REALLY smart move they should do this with all games, show them when they are ready to show. Remember when they released the first batch of Forza 2 screens? That's how I found gaf:lol

Shawsie64

Banned
Ill be so disapointed if theres no G25 support.. there's no way im buying another POS wheel for the 360. Ill still buy Forza 3 though.

Shawsie64

Banned
Psychotext said:
That's really out of Turn 10's hands. MS / Logitech are the ones who need to play ball on that one.

As for POS... the Porsche wheel looks fantastic ( http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/The-Ultimate-Racing-Wheel-for-Xbox-360.htm ), and the ltd edition works with the 360 / PC / PS3.

yeah I dont blame Turn 10. Just wish MS would support it but I know it goes deeper due to XID or something. After buying my G25 I id feel dirty buying another wheel haha

Zaptruder

Banned
Shawsie64 said:
yeah I dont blame Turn 10. Just wish MS would support it but I know it goes deeper due to XID or something. After buying my G25 I id feel dirty buying another wheel haha

I'll resign myself to playing this on the X360 controller. Bought the MS wheel, but really, it's a giant piece of crap in comparison to the G25... I shouldn't have to constantly downgrade wheels when I want to play F3.

Milpool

Zaptruder said:
I'll resign myself to playing this on the X360 controller...

I'll happily play this on a controller, as long as 10% analog pressure doesn't equal full lock like in Forza 2, unless that's just my controller...

As much as I love the game series and the looks of 3, I still wonder how many car's are going to be racing at the same time, I can live with the default 8 but a few more to pad out that field would be nice.
Milpool said:
I'll happily play this on a controller, as long as 10% analog pressure doesn't equal full lock like in Forza 2, unless that's just my controller...
THat was more or less forza 1, instant lock without abs and rather bad. F2 fixed it completely so maybe your pad sucks :p

You can also get around that by tuning your car, buying better brake discs, adjusting brake bias and pressures etc.

Diablohead said:
As much as I love the game series and the looks of 3, I still wonder how many car's are going to be racing at the same time, I can live with the default 8 but a few more to pad out that field would be nice.

8 is fine to me. Having lots of cars in console racing games is often annoying to me. In order to make it possible they either need to pad the pack with slow cars, or make the race considerably longer. Without doing one of the two, races become too difficult. Fewer cars means they can make you work for your overtake without making the game totally impossible or the races excruciatingly long.

Oh, and PLEASE ADD A TRACK SELECT (as in music track) SO I CAN DISABLE SONGS I DON'T LIKE. That annoyed me so much in Forza 2.

WHOAguitarninja said:
8 is fine to me. Having lots of cars in console racing games is often annoying to me. In order to make it possible they either need to pad the pack with slow cars, or make the race considerably longer. Without doing one of the two, races become too difficult. Fewer cars means they can make you work for your overtake without making the game totally impossible or the races excruciatingly long.

Oh, and PLEASE ADD A TRACK SELECT (as in music track) SO I CAN DISABLE SONGS I DON'T LIKE. That annoyed me so much in Forza 2.
I agree with everything you say but it would be lovely to see 10 or 12 cars racing, they aimed at 12 for forza 2 but dropped it to 8 in the end.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I know "this is GAF" but why can't we all just get along and appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of both Forza and GT? I mean, fuck, everyone gets so hung up on the smallest details that nobody sees the forest from the trees. Here we are where these two games keep pushing the envelope year in and year out. Both teams have an absolute passion and devotion to cars and give their 100% to give us the best experience possible. They put countless man hours into each game, come up with two of the most critically acclaimed series of all time, only to receive criticism about how the shifter doesn't look "quite right." We got real time tire deformation! Insane physics! 60fps! Glorious graphics! 400+ customizable cars!

WAKE THE FUCK UP PEOPLE THIS IS A GLORIOUS TIME TO BE A RACING FAN ON EITHER CONSOLE!

RSTEIN said:
I know "this is GAF" but why can't we all just get along and appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of both Forza and GT? I mean, fuck, everyone gets so hung up on the smallest details that nobody sees the forest from the trees. Here we are where these two games keep pushing the envelope year in and year out. Both teams have an absolute passion and devotion to cars and give their 100% to give us the best experience possible. They put countless man hours into each game, come up with two of the most critically acclaimed series of all time, only to receive criticism about how the shifter doesn't look "quite right." We got real time tire deformation! Insane physics! 60fps! Glorious graphics! 400+ customizable cars!

WAKE THE FUCK UP PEOPLE THIS IS A GLORIOUS TIME TO BE A RACING FAN ON EITHER CONSOLE!

Eh, people are gonna bitch at everything. I think the overall tone of this thread is pretty good, and certainly recognizes the hard work turn10 clearly has put in to the game.

gantz85

Banned
RSTEIN said:

Because one is TEH DEFINITIVE RACING GAMES

and the other isn't.

(I hope no one is naive enough to not realize that Turn10 is deliberately inviting comparisons with GT5:p, because it's confident it'll win out.)

gantz85 said:
Because one is TEH DEFINITIVE RACING GAMES

and the other isn't.

(I hope no one is naive enough to not realize that Turn10 is deliberately inviting comparisons with GT5:p, because it's confident it'll win out.)
Is that why you're pretending to show interest in F3? :D

Rad Agast

akachan ningen said:
So can you stall the car? or really fuck it up(grinding gears, money shifting, etc)?

You could damage the engine by mismanaging the gear shifting in Forza 2, I don't see why they would remove that now. Oh yeah, money shifting, you should check some Forza 2 drift videos on Youtube.

Rad Agast

WHOAguitarninja said:

I'm looking forward to playing the game with LastFM streaming for the BGM :D

eso76

CassidyIzABeast said:
SMH. Polyphony should be shot for taking 4 years to do what Turn 10 has done in 2.

actually...it's 4 years for NOT doing what Turn 10 has done in 2.

: )

Top Bottom