• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
G Rom said:
Wait ? The S4 is not part of the pack ?!

If so, then I still have hope for that Ferrari 599XX !:D
Yeah, that is nice to hear. The folks over on FM.net were getting themselves in a frenzy as to whether the S4 was included in the 10, or meant there would be 11. :lol

Gek54

phil_t said:
I think there is an element of misunderstanding on this. I've done similar tests myself using the MS Wheel and have found the following..

The only assist is a speed related sensitivity algorithm that just effectively reduces the steering lock the faster you go. It does not steer for you, it does not do care what direction the car is going or which direction you are steering, it's a very simple and minor (IMO) assist.

You can try it yourself, just find somewhere you have enough space, and at a standstill put it on full lock with telemetry showing and set off, as you speed up, with it on full lock, notice that the max steering angle starts to decrease. Let off the throttle and it starts increasing. That is all it is doing.

The confusion stems from the fact that if you are going at speed and you get into a slide, as you counter steer on full lock, as the car's forward momentum decreases due to the slide and no doubt backing off the throttle, the maximum steering angle increases due to the reasons stated above. This does look like as you slide and slow down, the game is increasing the counter steering for you.
However, it's being misinterpreted as a large assist, but if you think about it, this occurs when you slide at speed, where you actually have an artificially reduced max steering angle which is working against you, not for you. It's only as you scrub speed in the slide that full lock is slowly restored.

I have seen this doing the rounds, and I'd urge people do some tests themselves, using a wheel, bearing in mind the above and see if you agree.

You may want to test it again. The game will increase the steering angle initially in an effort to counter steer for you and then it will reduce the steering angle after having corrected the slide as well as having scrubbed some speed, the opposite of what you are suggesting it does. Point the wheel in the general counter steering direction and the game does the rest of the work for you.

eso76

Gek54 said:

not only that, looks like the game doesn't care if you turn the wheel beyond 90° in each direction, making 900° of rotation completely useless

I was hoping Fanatec would make drifting in fujimi kaido something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWH-_PhBTU

but it looks like 900° doesn't affect driving at all, or give you more control compared to ms wheel. More marketing bullshit.

I wonder why it took so long for someone to finally run those tests.

Linear steering option via patch is mandatory, but i don't think a patch could solve the 900° problem (lie) since that would probably require some significant change to the physics.

blanky

chespace said:
Still 3 more cars to confirm. :)

Also, all future DLC car packs will come with 150,000 in-game credits for you to buy one of these cars when you purchase the DLC.

could you also confirm that all these cars have working dashboards?

oh and sweet about the credits, though the only car in this package below that is the s4 the rest is all above i think ;p

phil_t

Banned
Gek54 said:
You may want to test it again. The game will increase the steering angle initially in an effort to counter steer for you and then it will reduce the steering angle after having corrected the slide as well as having scrubbed some speed, the opposite of what you are suggesting it does. Point the wheel in the general counter steering direction and the game does the rest of the work for you.
Is this on full lock? As that's what I've been testing, and it behaves as above, I'll try again tomorrow and do more testing with partial lock.

ShapeGSX

eso76 said:
not only that, looks like the game doesn't care if you turn the wheel beyond 90° in each direction, making 900° of rotation completely useless

but it looks like 900° doesn't affect driving at all, or give you more control compared to ms wheel. More marketing bullshit.

Linear steering option via patch is mandatory, but i don't think a patch could solve the 900° problem (lie) since that would probably require some significant change to the physics.

The on screen wheel only turns 90 degrees to indicate full lock.

You can definitely tell that you have to turn the wheel more on the 900 degree wheel vs the 270 by watching that video.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
blanky said:
could you also confirm that all these cars have working dashboards?

oh and sweet about the credits, though the only car in this package below that is the s4 the rest is all above i think ;p

Yes, they all have working dashboards. :p

kinn

eso76 said:
Just got an email from Fanatec yesterday saying my wheel "WILL BE SHIPPED NOW" :D

I don't exactly know what "will be/now" means but i assume i should be getting my wheel next week :)

Psychotext said:
My wheel has shipped. :D

No tracking on it, so I have no idea where it might be, but it's a good sign all the same.

Same here. No tracking number but says it can take up to a week for delivery. Finally light at the end of the tunnel. Just hope there are no issues with the hardware like some people have had...

Shaneus said:
On the note of assists... for the first time (pretty much ever, not counting the original Test Drive for PC) I've gone manual for a driving game,

This will be the first game I go manual on as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
chespace said:

Also, all future DLC car packs will come with 150,000 in-game credits for you to buy one of these cars when you purchase the DLC.
This is an ingenious solution, but it is in this pack? Amazing job on the DLC guys!

Also I lol'd at the Panamera. Possibly the ugliest car in their entire history of cars.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
chespace said:

well, thats something at least :/

whats the reasoning behind making us pay for the dlc cars twice (real $$$ and in game $$$)?

The DLC cars can be driven immediately in free play (the Hyundai's, at least); I understand why T10 would ask players to "buy" them in career mode.

op_ivy

FunnyBunny said:
The DLC cars can be driven immediately in free play (the Hyundai's, at least); I understand why T10 would ask players to "buy" them in career mode.

can you explain it to me? because i sure as shit dont

h3ro

FunnyBunny said:
I understand why T10 would ask players to "buy" them in career mode.

I do as well.

What I don't understand is the rush to raise the price cap in the storefront. I just went to theDoktor40's SF (he's a pretty prominent replica livery creator on the FMnet boards) and every livery is priced 40K and up. These artists should definitely make their money on the work they do, but if prices stay like this, then the only ones that will be able to buy designs/tunes for cars we don't win as a single player level up will be the other uber-star painters with 80 million credits.

chespace

op_ivy said:
can you explain it to me? because i sure as shit dont

For gameplay balance mostly. Unlike say, some of the NFS games, we don't believe players should be able to pay real money which would then translate into in-game money.

You still have the ability to instantly drive any of the cars in both free play and in multiplayer, as well as the ability to take photos with them, etc. so it isn't like you don't have access to these cars.

But we're giving players 150,000 credits just so they can at least buy the one car they really want in any given car pack.

blanky

chespace said:
Yes, they all have working dashboards. :p

neat! I love the dashes in the race cars, show that neat little stripe when you should shift. Especially the open cars are awesome, less SUPER bright outside and more sense of the speed.

h3ro

chespace said:
For gameplay balance mostly. Unlike say, some of the NFS games, we don't believe players should be able to pay real money which would then translate into in-game money.

You still have the ability to instantly drive any of the cars in both free play and in multiplayer, as well as the ability to take photos with them, etc. so it isn't like you don't have access to these cars.

But we're giving players 150,000 credits just so they can at least buy the one car they really want in any given car pack.

So I can buy the R15 for 150K? Awesome!

:D

Gek54

phil_t said:
Is this on full lock? As that's what I've been testing, and it behaves as above, I'll try again tomorrow and do more testing with partial lock.

Im not taking the wheel full lock as you can see in the video. Its in 900 degree mode with the deadzones dialed out in the options. You should be able to see in the video how I just hold the the wheel in one position for a good amount of time as the game corrects the spin for me. The game uses all 900 degrees when the car is stopped.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
kinn said:
Same here. No tracking number but says it can take up to a week for delivery. Finally light at the end of the tunnel.
I got my "your order is shipping" mail on Monday, however I didn't get the UPS notice until last night and the package didn't actually ship out until this morning - meaning I'll get it on Monday. Since I'm just up in NorCal and they're shipping from LA, I figured I could possibly have gotten it today or tomorrow if they had just shipped a day or two sooner.

chespace

h3ro said:
I do as well.

What I don't understand is the rush to raise the price cap in the storefront. I just went to theDoktor40's SF (he's a pretty prominent replica livery creator on the FMnet boards) and every livery is priced 40K and up. These artists should definitely make their money on the work they do, but if prices stay like this, then the only ones that will be able to buy designs/tunes for cars we don't win as a single player level up will be the other uber-star painters with 80 million credits.

Yeah, I'm watching the Storefront pricing situation closely. We had it capped at 10k for a while and overwhelming feedback from the tuners was that it almost impossible for them to re-coop their cost of having bought an expensive car to tune. After a lengthy discussion on Forzamotorsport.net, we decided to raise the cap but not lift it completely. 50k is a decent amount I think and still within the range of affordability for most people, even if you were to go out and finish a few races you should be able to earn 50k.

eso76 said:

I can definiely tell when I switch the wheel to 900 setting. It take a lot more turn to well turn the wheel. As for steering assist, I notice this only when I am using the pad (which is what I am using now).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Since you're here Che, can you be so kind to let us know if there's still the willingness on Turn10's part to put out the audio bug fixes and thus are actively working on them; is it a matter of if or just when?
Are you guys past that and we shouldn't keep bringin' it since there's a very slim chance something will/can be done about them or I can shelve the game for a bit waiting for a coming soon patch?
I'd really appreciate a reply on the matter, I love the game but again, I have to point out that I can't play it on my HT system anymore because the audio pops and cracks glitches put the speaker's woofers at risk.

chespace said:
Yeah, I'm watching the Storefront pricing situation closely. We had it capped at 10k for a while and overwhelming feedback from the tuners was that it almost impossible for them to re-coop their cost of having bought an expensive car to tune. After a lengthy discussion on Forzamotorsport.net, we decided to raise the cap but not lift it completely. 50k is a decent amount I think and still within the range of affordability for most people, even if you were to go out and finish a few races you should be able to earn 50k.

Also, won't the free market make its own adjustments? If people can't afford $50k than people won't pay it, the dude won't make as much and he'll lower his prices.

I've been playing F3 for the past couple of days after picking it up on BF, and so far I'm having a blast. I love the sound design and the fact that both my sporty car and daily driver (Z32 and Sentra SE-R) are both in the game :lol

But one thing that is absolutely making me furious is the piss poor variety of tracks I've been treated to so far (I'm up to about level 11 or 12). It's like I've played different variations of the same fucking 4 or 5 tracks. It's gotten to the point where just about every time a track comes up, I want to rip my hair out because I've already played it to death while there are still plenty of others they could be throwing my way. I'm even choosing most of the calendar events based on the ones that say "try new tracks," and yet they're still the same ones. Either I'm really unlucky in what events are coming my way, or T10 did a shitty job testing their calendar events. Hopefully things change up during the A class series, or I'm going to get burnt out on this game very soon.

Jube3

BenjaminBirdie said:
Also, won't the free market make its own adjustments? If people can't afford $50k than people won't pay it, the dude won't make as much and he'll lower his prices.
`
Pretty much this, people arent gonna put designs up for 40k if they arent gonna sell. A lot of cars have trouble breaking 100 downloads at 10,000k. This is in comparison to forza 2, where pre-money glitch cars sold for 5-10 million credits just for the design on a car.

Valkyr Junkie said:
I've been playing F3 for the past couple of days after picking it up on BF, and so far I'm having a blast. I love the sound design and the fact that both my sporty car and daily driver (Z32 and Sentra SE-R) are both in the game :lol

But one thing that is absolutely making me furious is the piss poor variety of tracks I've been treated to so far (I'm up to about level 11 or 12). It's like I've played different variations of the same fucking 4 or 5 tracks. It's gotten to the point where just about every time a track comes up, I want to rip my hair out because I've already played it to death while there are still plenty of others they could be throwing my way. I'm even choosing most of the calendar events based on the ones that say "try new tracks," and yet they're still the same ones. Either I'm really unlucky in what events are coming my way, or T10 did a shitty job testing their calendar events. Hopefully things change up during the A class series, or I'm going to get burnt out on this game very soon.

Play Event List instead of the calendar mode, you can pick whichever event you would like to do which will give you a lot of variety :)

XP-Enigma

Awesome. I ordered the Fanatec wheel three months ago. It finally came today and did not include the adapter to use the 360 pedals with it. -_-

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can people tell me how better are the Fanatec's pedals than MS Wheel ones?
Is it possibile to use the just the fanatec pedals (I want clutch!) with the MS Wheel?

I hope in the future all the pedals will have "rumble" themselves and games will include that as an option, since one of the reason I can't "feel" how far I'm pushing the car is because of the lack of feedback on tarmac/engine/brakes/tires (which we normally get while driving a car in real life).

That and a rumble on the seater would be totally awesome :D

Forza 4/GT6 with all that and I'd probably die while driving in-game.

Gek54

XP-Enigma said:
Awesome. I ordered the Fanatec wheel three months ago. It finally came today and did not include the adapter to use the 360 pedals with it. -_-

Apparently you need to e-mail them to remind them to send you the adapters. Took them 2 weeks for them to respond to my e-mail and then they only sent the G25 adapter, they did overnight it from Germany though.

Yoritomo

I'm doing a ton better than I thought I would while using the wheel.

Makes my heart race though. Forza is no longer relaxing.... :lol

Gek54

r35.jpg

Sold if true.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, are we getting the original 250 GTO?

Also, Shelby Daytona Coupe, please, to go with the original 250 GTO, so I can recreate the olden days. :D

Yoritomo

Dash Kappei said:
Since you're here Che, can you be so kind to let us know if there's still the willingness on Turn10's part to put out the audio bug fixes and thus are actively working on them; is it a matter of if or just when?
Are you guys past that and we shouldn't keep bringin' it since there's a very slim chance something will/can be done about them or I can shelve the game for a bit waiting for a coming soon patch?
I'd really appreciate a reply on the matter, I love the game but again, I have to point out that I can't play it on my HT system anymore because the audio pops and cracks glitches put the speaker's woofers at risk.

There's another weird audio bug during replays when using my fanatec and manual w/clutch. It's like it's not registering the shift as fast as I"m actually shifting and you hear a split second of the car bouncing off the rev limited when according to telemetry it's already in the new gear and at a lower RPM.

Ziploc

Neo Member
eso76 said:

Just plug your wheel into your PC and play some PC sims. You will get the experience you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MRSpyJTKGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJKZTFrioU

rise888

I didn't see anyone post their unboxing or set up yet, so I hope you guys don't mind me sharing. Larger pics here

4159180735_fcb0dbb7af_m.jpg
4159181273_4a701e08a3_m.jpg
4159939582_5b159ec8d0_m.jpg
4159939710_23817f1a04_m.jpg
4159182977_217d616501_m.jpg

4159940228_da0bfc0a13.jpg

4159940358_58131571dc.jpg

I've only spent an hour playing Forza with it and I'm only a casual racer; but so far I'm very impressed with the quality and feedback. Rumble strip feedback is a tad disappointing but overall I'm very happy so far. I've never played with any other wheels of this generation so I don't really have a frame of reference either. The stand is awesome as well.

Looking forward to seeing pics of other people's set ups

Lucius86

Banned
Not as good as you Fanatec boys, but I finally got my power supply for my racing wheel so I'm now 3-4 seconds per lap slower :lol

Time to master this puppy!

G Rom

twinturbo2 said:
So, are we getting the original 250 GTO?

Also, Shelby Daytona Coupe, please, to go with the original 250 GTO, so I can recreate the olden days. :D

You know that the Shelby Daytona Coupe is already in the game, right ?:D

Edit : Looks like the other spy shot is from the 599XX !:D
Can't wait to drive it if it is true !

The box is pretty awesome.

As for the pedal set, no you can't use it with MS wheel. It has a din conector on it.

I just got email from them that the replacement pedal is another couple week away...I suppose they are trying to fill all the order first before replace defective one. So me getting the wheel early end up not a good thing...

eso76

rise888 said:
I've only spent an hour playing Forza with it and I'm only a casual racer; but so far I'm very impressed with the quality and feedback. Rumble strip feedback is a tad disappointing but overall I'm very happy so far. I've never played with any other wheels of this generation so I don't really have a frame of reference either. The stand is awesome as well.

I heard ffb and rumble are weaker with fm3 compared to GT prologue. Maybe a patch to make those adjustable beyond the settings found on the wheel itself ?

Also, i should probably get the rennsport stand myself. Had no problem with the ms wheel because the pedals would fit under the table, but i'm not sure what i'll do if Fanatec pedals don't. I would like to be assured Fanatec wheels will retain compatibility with next gen consoles before investing more money on it, then again it will probably be 3 years before they show up (Forza 4 as Xbox 720 launch title, please).

eso76 said:
I heard ffb and rumble are weaker with fm3 compared to GT prologue. Maybe a patch to make those adjustable beyond the settings found on the wheel itself ?

Also, i should probably get the rennsport stand myself. Had no problem with the ms wheel because the pedals would fit under the table, but i'm not sure what i'll do if Fanatec pedals don't. I would like to be assured Fanatec wheels will retain compatibility with next gen consoles before investing more money on it, then again it will probably be 3 years before they show up (Forza 4 as Xbox 720 launch title, please).

I can't seem to find good setting for GT5P with the wheel. I used the G25 wheel option but when the car go into high speed, the wheel just shake. Also if you hit the triangle button (or may be squre) during the race, the clutch option is turn on and it's really annoying especially when I was using 360 pedal (and it has no clutch!).

phil_t

Banned
Gek54 said:

OK, so I've tested it again, and again, and again..

I am convinced that there is no 'automatic' counter-steering.. there are a couple of issues that could be looked at, but none look like deliberate counter-steering

Here's some of the many myriad of tests I've done.

The conditions are (set in My Profile->Controller)
1. Set the Wheel to have inside/outside deadzones to their endstops
2. Reduce FFB/Effects to zero
3. telemetry up in game showing wheel position

Test 1 - Shows weird wheel wobble effect
1. With the car stationary, put a small amount of lock on, and set off very slowly, invariably you can get the right steering angle and hold a speed that show 'wheel wobble' where it oscillates between two positions, this is with no sliding/power oversteer and can be held indefinitely. You can get it to wobble at a slow speed and at a fast speed. Note that it actually wobbles 'about' the steering angle you are holding, i.e. it flips above/below where it should, averaging out at the correct point.
Conclusion:-
There is some 'resolution'/'aliasing' issue in one of their algorithms that causes the steering output to flip quickly between two values, and it's not a function of the car's rotational velocity.
In the R class cars it shows up even worse, and if you just hold a gentle lock through a corner it can also be made to do this.
This is shown in the telemetry output, and visually affects the wheels (in a replay), but th interior wheel (and your own wheel) show no sign of movement.

Test 2 - Shows steering range reduction
In a large space, set off and hold full lock, you will see that as the car goes between 0 and 70kph, the max lock reduces, you need to slowly build speed to see it smoothly, then back off and see the lock increase again.

Test 3 - Small glitch as car rotates 180 degrees
In a large space, and a powerful RWD card, get upto some speed (100-200Kph), turn full lock and get it to power oversteer right around, you will see your lock is initially at it's reduced state (as you are at speed), but when the car goes through 180 degrees, it suddenly jumps to full lock.
There is a small glitch in the logic somewhere, crossing over 180 degrees does reset the steering range to max, but the reality is it's not important, spinning 180 degrees isn't something you are that concerned with.. be nice to be fixed though.

Test 4 - the side to side sliding wobble
As per the video shown in this thread, pick a RWD car that can easily slide side to side to show the effect.
- You need to do this under power, and at at least 70kph
The result is as per the video, as you cross centre on each slide to start counter-steering, the wheel oscillates between 2 positions before finally giving you a smooth steering angle.
This isn't ideal, granted, but crucially this is the source of the complaint.
The thing I do note is that it is oscillating between two points quite quickly which is not actually that helpful, if it where some clever assist it would hold more lock for a period of time, not oscillate between slightly more lock and slightly less lock then your steering input is asking for.
It's hard to be conclusive, but crucially, the fact it oscillates between more/less lock then you are asking does not seem that helpful as an assist. And oddly it seems related to the slow speed (non-sliding) wheel wobble, where the steering osciallates between two values..
I'm going with glitch, and some further tests that isolate the speed and sliding factor out show it's not always present..

Test 5 - Wheel wobble not there on a single slide
To do this, I went at speed in a straight line, then used the handbrake to induce a good slide to the left (reasonable lock used to start the slide, handbrake released, then countersteer with half lock to the opposition direction, the slide is sufficient that it can't be recovered). While sliding, you can 'saw' the wheel to turn into/out of the slide and no wobble is shown.
Whatever the wobble effect is, it does not exhibit itself if you do a single slide, and once sliding does not exhibit itself if subsequent turning into/outof the slide to re-initiate countersteering is performed.

Test 6 - Slow speed sliding
I simply did a donut on the spot in a powerful RWD car, using no more then about half lock in each direction, and only switching between the two lock positions.
Once the car was sliding nicely in one direction, I'd counter steer in the opposite direction until the car slowed and started spinning in the other direction where I'd then counter steer in the opposite direction again.
Conclusion - At slow speed, no wobble occurs (or very very infreqeuently, I never saw it), the turning through centre into the counter steer position was smooth and nothing untoward occurs.

So after a load more messing around and seeing what happens, trying some different class cars etc I can see some issues, that would be nice to be fixed, but actually observing the reaction of the car to it all, it seems to not have any noticeable effect.

The bottom line is, the steering does 'oscillate' between two positions at times, but this can be at a walking pace when not sliding.. I believe the same mechanism that causes it at walking speed is also causing it when sliding side to side in a drift style (the time it also shows itself the most).
You can through the use of the handbrake induce a slide, and counter-steer with no wobble shown at all, and also when sliding in one direction you can switch between steering into the skid, and counter-steering with no wobble.
You can also spin from one direction to another at a slow speed, and again initial counter-steering does not invoke any wobble..

I'd like a comment from Che/T10 on this, In my experience it looks like a side effect of calculation that is oscillating between two values rather then anything deliberate.

ShapeGSX

New week in review talks about the next title update:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/b...4/forza-motorsport-3-week-in-review-12-4.aspx

Some of you may care that we’re also working hard on our next title update. There isn’t a set date for its release yet but December is a pretty short month and we’re hoping to get everything wrapped up and out the door before everyone takes off for vacation – which means you’ll likely see it sometime before Christmas (week of 12/21). I’ll have a more definitive list of what’s getting fixed once I have confirmation from our producers, but I’ve heard some stuff in the hallways, including fixes to Time Trials and scoreboards, as well as the ability for my team to create custom Time Trials for our weekly HLCs. Other stuff overheard include little things like improving shadows on AI cars, fixing manual with clutch physics in replays (currently it looks like the player is glitching when it’s just incorrect replay physics), and the ability for all DLC car packs to automatically gift the player 150,000 credits so you can actually buy a starter car in the DLC you just purchased on Marketplace. Anyway, more details and confirmations as I have them.

op_ivy

chespace said:

the difference of course is that in an EA game you are not forced to spend real money to get the car, its either or.

for f3 dlc you are (obviously) forced to pay real money for the dlc AND in-game. you have to pay twice which makes zero sense to me. i am struggling to see how allowing someone who pays for dlc content immediate access to that content affects gameplay balance.

chespace said:

while this is a (slight) step in the right direction, i cant fathom why you are doing it as it completely contradicts your stance about "gameplay balance". in fact, i think giving players free in-game credits is far more harmful to "gameplay balance" then having the paid dlc content added to the garage, as now that in game 150,000 has been bought with real money with no guarantee of what it will be used to purchase.

Darklord

Banned
while this is a (slight) step in the right direction, i cant fathom why you are doing it as it completely contradicts your stance about "gameplay balance". in fact, i think giving players free in-game credits is far more harmful to "gameplay balance" then having the paid dlc content added to the garage, as now that in game 150,000 has been bought with real money with no guarantee of what it will be used to purchase.

150,000cr is hardly a lot. You can earn that in like 2-3 events.

Top Bottom