• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
cjelly said:
150,000 is nothing, anyway, it's more a deposit for one of the DLC cars than a complete pay off.

yeah, it is nothing. it will hardly help you buy the dlc cars and in reality, it will hardly affect "gameplay balance". i mentioned the second point because i feel it IS a contradiction to what che said.

maybe us poor f3 players should create a "donation fund" vinyl for sale for 10-50,000 that the rich f3 gaffers can buy to help us out so i can shut up! :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
op_ivy said:
yeah, it is nothing. it will hardly help you buy the dlc cars and in reality, it will hardly affect "gameplay balance". i mentioned the second point because i feel it IS a contradiction to what che said.

maybe us poor f3 players should create a "donation fund" vinyl for sale for 10-50,000 that the rich f3 gaffers can buy to help us out so i can shut up! :lol
Why not just sell all the cars in your garage you don't use?

I find I only actually use a handful of cars, anyway, so if you're anything like me you'll have plenty you can ditch. :p

op_ivy

cjelly said:
Why not just sell all the cars in your garage you don't use?

I find I only actually use a handful of cars, anyway, so if you're anything like me you'll have plenty you can ditch. :p

auction house? dunno, maybe i will, seems like a hassle. shame you only get 100 credits for any car won when leveling up

Gek54

op_ivy said:
the difference of course is that in an EA game you are not forced to spend real money to get the car, its either or.

for f3 dlc you are (obviously) forced to pay real money for the dlc AND in-game. you have to pay twice which makes zero sense to me. i am struggling to see how allowing someone who pays for dlc content immediate access to that content affects gameplay balance.

while this is a (slight) step in the right direction, i cant fathom why you are doing it as it completely contradicts your stance about "gameplay balance". in fact, i think giving players free in-game credits is far more harmful to "gameplay balance" then having the paid dlc content added to the garage, as now that in game 150,000 has been bought with real money with no guarantee of what it will be used to purchase.

+1

Cant stop that logic train.

I have a hard time seeing what the big deal is. That isn't meant to be snarky either, I need help understanding.

We can use DLC in free play and time trial right away. We are only forced to "pay" in our career mode. This makes sense. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of your career player winning the lottery and landing 8 powerful cars at once.

In the spirit of a "career," it doesn't seem fair to the oher drivers.

op_ivy

FunnyBunny said:
I have a hard time seeing what the big deal is. That isn't meant to be snarky either, I need help understanding.

We can use DLC in free play and time trial right away. We are only forced to "pay" in our career mode. This makes sense. Otherwise, it's the equivalent of your career player winning the lottery and landing 8 powerful cars at once.

In the spirit of a "career," it doesn't seem fair to the oher drivers.

can you paint, tune, or upgrade the dlc cars without actually owning them in your garage? honest question. if the answer is yes, i retract all my complaints. if the answer is no (which i believe it is), you should see my point.

and again, dlc cars would not be like winning the lottery as you HAVE paid for them with real money, and as far as i'm concerned, real $$$ >>>> in-game cash.

You can't win either way, the DLC is paid for, and the DLC is just extra cars added to the game which so far, all cars in the main single player have to be brought. What you are paying for is another chunk of cars which did not come with the retail release and you pay for this, not to buy 11 in-game cars you can tune straight away.

vexvegaz

quick question about the LE, i took my fm3 LE to my GF's 360 and installed the first disc but the cars and tracks are still missing fromt he menus, is extra content tied to the 2 key card that comes in the box?

Arucardo

vexvegaz said:
quick question about the LE, i took my fm3 LE to my GF's 360 and installed the first disc but the cars and tracks are still missing fromt he menus, is extra content tied to the 2 key card that comes in the box?
Anything you've got through a code is tied to your xbox live account so if you logged in to your account on your GF's 360 you can download/unlock them.

op_ivy

Diablohead said:
You can't win either way, the DLC is paid for, and the DLC is just extra cars added to the game which so far, all cars in the main single player have to be brought. What you are paying for is another chunk of cars which did not come with the retail release and you pay for this, not to buy 11 in-game cars you can tune straight away.

maybe you pay for a chunk of cars you dont actually own in game (and likely will never own all of), but i wont. if i spend my hard earned cash for dlc content, i expect to have access to said dlc content, all of it. not part, or some, dpending on how much in game cash i have on hand. thats horseshit.

i just havent heard a valid reason why once paid for, it isnt ours outright. oh well.
i'll shut up about it and save my real money i guess. at least until in game cash is no longer an issue for me.

op_ivy said:
can you paint, tune, or upgrade the dlc cars without actually owning them in your garage? honest question. if the answer is yes, i retract all my complaints. if the answer is no (which i believe it is), you should see my point.

Point seen, and understood.

If you do want to paint and work on liveries for the new cars you are out of luck. In cases like that, I agree - no access to the new cars is less than ideal.

Gowans

My F3 LE disc was a little scratched, got a spare LE from Game today selling them for £29.99.

Jube3 did you get your LE DLC & VIP codes? if not you can have my spare, if so I guess they will be up for grabs later.

Gek54

phil_t said:
OK, so I've tested it again, and again, and again..

I can go into detail and breakdown each of your conclusions and show you why they are mostly incorrect but I think I can cut to chase with a simple real life comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7NkCABT-jE

Watch this video and notice how he handles the steering wheel in a drift, notice how similar his actions are to that of the telemetry wheel in my videos. Do you see how he violently oscillates looking for the proper angle, do you see how much he has to fight for control? What this tells me is that the physics are decent, the tires are doing about what the should in a drift. The problem here is that I dont have to do that much work to keep the car under control. All I have to do is ease it to one point, hold, then ease to the other point and hold and I get a nice magic carpet ride. I also dont have to counter steer that far. Its a cake walk. So you can either argue that there is active steering that is steering the car for you or you would have to say that Forza 3's tire physics are extremely weak. I think there is more than enough evidence that supports the former.

Edit: Another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adx8ffXgXIY

Jube3

Gowans007 said:
My F3 LE disc was a little scratched, got a spare LE from Game today selling them for £29.99.

Jube3 did you get your LE DLC & VIP codes? if not you can have my spare, if so I guess they will be up for grabs later.

I love you.

ShapeGSX

Gek54 said:
I can go into detail and breakdown each of your conclusions and show you why they are mostly incorrect but I think I can cut to chase with a simple real life comparison.

Watch this video and notice how he handles the steering wheel in a drift, notice how similar his actions are to that of the telemetry wheel in my videos. Do you see how he violently oscillates looking for the proper angle, do you see how much he has to fight for control?

I think that's just the wheels fighting him (force feedback :D ). Looks like the car doesn't have power steering.

Brakara

op_ivy said:
i just havent heard a valid reason why once paid for, it isnt ours outright. oh well.

Are you as upset over buying the retail discs and not having access to all the cars in the career from the start? And that even cost more.

At least the cars can be a part of the career mode, unlike future tracks DLC. Now that's bullshit.

Brakara said:
Are you as upset over buying the retail discs and not having access to all the cars in the career from the start? And that even cost more.

At least the cars can be a part of the career mode, unlike future tracks DLC. Now that's bullshit.
You just made me realise a lack of arcade mode, which DLC tracks in forza 2 were added too with their own challenges. wow.

ShapeGSX

Diablohead said:
You just made me realise a lack of arcade mode, which DLC tracks in forza 2 were added too with their own challenges. wow.

There are time trials with specific cars on certain tracks in the leaderboards section, which is essentially the replacement for the arcade mode. Surely they could add DLC cars and tracks to that.

Magni

So I was going over the FM 2 leaderboards to compare my times form one game to the other.. why the fuck is there a U-class ME Four-Twelve at the top of the Suzuka West C-Leaderboard? :lol

How would you guys sort the different classes FM 2 -> FM 3 ?

Brakara said:

Wait, has this been confirmed? =(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gek54 said:
r35.jpg

Sold if true.

Do I smell a GT-R? Sold a thousand times over if true. Now how about car #7...
original.aspx

Appears to be the roof of some car?

G Rom

It's pretty much confirmed to be the Ferrari 599XX since it was put up, like the GT-R spy shot !:lol

Take a look at this photo and see how the roof match the spy shot :
ferrari-599xx-6-600x400.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
G Rom said:
It's pretty much confirmed to be the Ferrari 599XX since it was put up, like the GT-R spy shot !:lol

Take a look at this photo and see how the roof match the spy shot :

Officially the best DLC ever created for a video game then. Astounds me at the value here, and it has just about every car in my wishlist. Only a Zonda would complete me.

phil_t

Banned
Gek54 said:

Watch this video and notice how he handles the steering wheel in a drift, notice how similar his actions are to that of the telemetry wheel in my videos. Do you see how he violently oscillates looking for the proper angle, do you see how much he has to fight for control? What this tells me is that the physics are decent, the tires are doing about what the should in a drift. The problem here is that I dont have to do that much work to keep the car under control. All I have to do is ease it to one point, hold, then ease to the other point and hold and I get a nice magic carpet ride. I also dont have to counter steer that far. Its a cake walk. So you can either argue that there is active steering that is steering the car for you or you would have to say that Forza 3's tire physics are extremely weak. I think there is more than enough evidence that supports the former.

Edit: Another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adx8ffXgXIY

I don't agree, which is fine, to me the similarities to real life of violently sawing the wheel look similar, but there are hundreds more variables in real life that dictate that action being used.

In the game, things are much simpler, and although it looks similar the differences are obvious.

In real life, you correct the steering all the time you are sliding, in the game the oscillation only occurs when crossing centre, and only occurs once. Oscillation also occurs at walking pace in the game, even when not sliding.

I honestly think you give the physics too much credit, compared to the real world the tracks are essentially smooth and the amount of random non-linearities is almost zero. IMO any purposeful assist would be a degree smoother then issue shown, and it would apply to any/all slides, not just one case.

Please do invalidate my tests, end of the day, any theory has to be cross examined.

I'd be interested why you would dismiss the oscillations at very slow speed when not even being in a slide, which look remarkably similar to the oscillations you observe at speed. And also why donutting on the spot, or inducing a slide using the handbrake and counter steering shows no real effect.

I'm not saying you are wrong, some thing is ocurring, I just think its a glitch or calculation issue, as it does occur at slow speeds and in some cars just holding a small amount of lock in a normal cornering manoeuvre makes it oscillate weirdly.

Magni

Wtf is up with that first corner on Sebring Club? I just did 60-something laps in a GT3 Cup trying to beat my FM2 time where I was top 1% WW, and I must have not failed it five times (and aced it none..).

Anyways, same settings, screen, controller, so either FM2 was easier or I just drive poorer than before ^^

#82 GT3 Cup on Sebring Club : 01:06.659 (FM3) vs 01:02.681 (FM2)
#62 F430GT on Mugello Club : 00:56.243 (FM3) vs 00:54.002 (FM2).

Though I must say that F430GT time was in Career mode in 3 (not sure what it was in 2), let's see if I can beat it now. For the GT3 Cup both times were in Free play.

yes I know my times aren't that great

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
ShapeGSX said:
Hey Che,

Where are the web leaderboards? The week is almost up! :)

Tried to deploy them this week but ran into some performance issues (with 60+ million entries, it was taking up to 30 seconds for each page to load). :D We now have it fixed so we're deploying on Tuesday. Sorry for the hold-up. It's lame, I know.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
chespace said:
Tried to deploy them this week but ran into some performance issues (with 60+ million entries, it was taking up to 30 seconds for each page to load). :D We now have it fixed so we're deploying on Tuesday. Sorry for the hold-up. It's lame, I know.
Che, do you, or does anyone know if these cars will come with their own upgrades and such? I'm not expecting spoilers and whatnot (which would be awesome) but tuning and performance parts are still there right? Sold either way, whether I get bodykits for the GT-R or not.

Did Forza 2 come with any of this? Didn't buy much DLC for Forza 2. Or any of it really.

Iknos

Gek54 said:

I didn't doubt you when you mentioned it because I did notice it in the telemetry and IIRC it was evident in the Team Blackjack FK vid. But it's good to have it all in one vid like this.

Would you also agree that the body roll is under-represented at least graphically? It's obviously there and you can feel the car snap back and balance itself out but it's just a tad under-represented visually IMO.

Magni

MagniHarvald said:
Wtf is up with that first corner on Sebring Club? I just did 60-something laps in a GT3 Cup trying to beat my FM2 time where I was top 1% WW, and I must have not failed it five times (and aced it none..).

Anyways, same settings, screen, controller, so either FM2 was easier or I just drive poorer than before ^^

#82 GT3 Cup on Sebring Club : 01:06.659 (FM3) vs 01:02.681 (FM2)
#62 F430GT on Mugello Club : 00:56.243 (FM3) vs 00:54.002 (FM2).

Though I must say that F430GT time was in Career mode in 3 (not sure what it was in 2), let's see if I can beat it now. For the GT3 Cup both times were in Free play.

yes I know my times aren't that great

Then again I've just beaten my Mazda Laguna Seca times with the #35 JGTC Supra and #8 Audi R10 TDI by 2.579 and 3.522 seconds respectively. Man I'd forgotten how stressful hot lapping can be :lol Hot lapping > racing, be it SP or MP :D

Gek54

phil_t said:
I don't agree, which is fine, to me the similarities to real life of violently sawing the wheel look similar, but there are hundreds more variables in real life that dictate that action being used.

In the game, things are much simpler, and although it looks similar the differences are obvious.

In real life, you correct the steering all the time you are sliding, in the game the oscillation only occurs when crossing centre, and only occurs once. Oscillation also occurs at walking pace in the game, even when not sliding.

I honestly think you give the physics too much credit, compared to the real world the tracks are essentially smooth and the amount of random non-linearities is almost zero. IMO any purposeful assist would be a degree smoother then issue shown, and it would apply to any/all slides, not just one case.

Please do invalidate my tests, end of the day, any theory has to be cross examined.

I'd be interested why you would dismiss the oscillations at very slow speed when not even being in a slide, which look remarkably similar to the oscillations you observe at speed. And also why donutting on the spot, or inducing a slide using the handbrake and counter steering shows no real effect.

I'm not saying you are wrong, some thing is ocurring, I just think its a glitch or calculation issue, as it does occur at slow speeds and in some cars just holding a small amount of lock in a normal cornering manoeuvre makes it oscillate weirdly.

You do make a valid point about the complexity of traction on a real track but what I see in FM3 its much more than having a smooth ribbon. What I feel correlates with what I see happening with the telemetry wheel(T-wheel), its a very similar feeling to other sims that offer active steering, nice things about those other sims is that you can turn it off and once you do it feels much more like what it feels to drive a real car. When I am driving slowly in FM3 the Fenatec wheel feels fairly linear through all 900 degrees. The T-wheel seems to only move 200 degrees but when driving slowly the T-wheel doesnt stop moving until you hit the lock of the Fenatec wheel, thats great but I wish it was way in every condition. When I am driving 40+mph, getting sideways and counter steering to only about 120 degrees on the Fanatec wheel the game will show the T-wheel holding at full lock before vibrating back to about 45 degrees once the cars has started to stabilize even though I have not moved the Fenatec wheel at all, that right there is the biggest flag for active steering. When you start to counter steer the game makes the steering ratio extremely fast before leveling back to closer to what it should be at. I dont feel the oscillation but I definitely feel the loss of total steering control, its a numbing of steering, its not a total loss but a buffer feeling. Wither the vibrating t-wheel or tires is what part of the physics or just a visual glitch I couldnt say for sure because I dont feel it in the wheel nor do I see it affecting the body of car, then again it could be that its so fast that you wouldnt be able to see it in the car's body.

I did notice the walking speed t-wheel vibration for crossing over the center, I wonder if that has anything to do with the feeling of a slight deadzone, or numb zone in the center, almost feels like a bit lag in the center.

Yoritomo

I agree on the countersteering. I'm sure they did it to make drifting with a wheel easier. Also remember the game wasn't really built to use a 900 degree wheel, most of what you're seeing exists to help when using a 270 degree wheel, and also make it feel more realistic at speed. Slower cars feel fine using 540 or 900, but if you start using faster cars you have to use far more rotation than is realistic given the speeds you're traveling and the angle you you have to use in game to make small adjustments.

I really suggest using 270 to play any R class stuff.

erahk64

Yoritomo said:
Also remember the game wasn't really built to use a 900 degree wheel, most of what you're seeing exists to help when using a 270 degree wheel, and also make it feel more realistic at speed.

According to the info below, the Fanatec wheel would be fully supported.
People buying the Fanatec wheel probably assumes 900 degrees is fully supported and used by Forza 3, but it seems 900 degrees is not always used.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/The-Ultimate-Racing-Wheel-for-Xbox-360.htm

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, so can we get the McLaren F1 GTR, '63 250 GTO, and Shelby Daytona Coupe next time? I'll keep nagging you, Che, until we get them. :D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
twinturbo2 said:
Okay, so can we get the McLaren F1 GTR, '63 250 GTO, and Shelby Daytona Coupe next time? I'll keep nagging you, Che, until we get them. :D
Aren't there still cars on that list that guy posted in the leak which we haven't seen?

I think the Escort RS Cosworth was on there, which would be right up my alley.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
cjelly said:
Aren't there still cars on that list that guy posted in the leak which we haven't seen?

I think the Escort RS Cosworth was on there, which would be right up my alley.
Are any of the cars I mentioned on that list?

Yoritomo

erahk64 said:
According to the info below, the Fanatec wheel would be fully supported.
People buying the Fanatec wheel probably assumes 900 degrees is fully supported and used by Forza 3, but it seems 900 degrees is not always used.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/The-Ultimate-Racing-Wheel-for-Xbox-360.htm

It is supported. The way the clutch works is absolutely perfect. The shifter is great and the force feedback is nice...

Boot up the PC though and you'll soon realize that Forza is using about 30% of the potential of the wheel.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I didn't realize until today that you could get the "world traveler" achievement by racing the tracks in quick race mode, lol. I got it now. :D

mujun

I ended up selling this off without playing through much of it. I played a bunch in the event mode and didn't realize until well into it that many of the achievements could only be picked up by playing the season mode.

I tried getting through season mode but it didn't really appeal to me.

Seems that my ability to play sim racers is dependent on how their season mode works. Might just end up sticking with arcade racers from now on.

SmokyDave

I hope the next DLC pack is interesting classic and contemporary cars and not just 'What is cool in 2010'. There is such a wealth of glorious cars out there I'd hate to see the DLC looking like a NFS Roster Update. Maybe it's just this first pack but I can't think of any less inspired choices than the ones revealed so far with the exception of the 599FX.

Oh well, for some reason I seem to have dropped off this game all together. It just isn't holding my attention like Forza 2 did. I can't decide if it's the overly sanitised handling or the mindless grind of career mode.

ShapeGSX

You can't please everyone with every DLC pack. I'm pretty darn pleased with this one, though. I'm especially pleased with the price of it.

That being said, I want to see a 1G DSM in the next one. The Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser/Mitsubishi Eclipse were introduced in 1989. So this is their 20 year anniversary! Make it happen!

Suddenly I feel very old.

Top Bottom