• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

blanky

oh man the sound on that Aston! It's glorious! Love the R15 and Murc too, though the R15 was a little off sometimes it felt like the tires never warmed up. But they all sound sooo nice and look beautiful too. Too bad i'm low on cash, only bought the R15 and Murc. Pondering whether I should convert the Murc to RWD, but I suck at launching RWD without TCS, the AI always beats me =/

ElyrionX said:
I think the in-game credit system is pretty broken as it is. Paying 400 space bucks for DLC and still having to fork out over 5 to 6 million for the cars? When completing a 10-minute race earns only 50k credits at best? It's ridiculous. If reward cars can actually be sold at the rate of regular cars (ie. 1/2 of original value) then it wouldn't be so bad but as it is, reward cars are worthless if they're a car you don't like at all. There's almost no way of getting any decent value from selling them apart from ripping noobs off on the Auction House.

The Mclaren F1 GTR is 3.8 million credits, for fucks sake. It would take a shitload of races and series to be able to earn enough to own that car and there are so many other cars in the game that costs over a million credits.
I'm quite suprised how expensive some of the cars are in F3, the most any racing car was in 2 was about 380k, While we can play with all cars in free race or stock online it's a shame they are mostly hard to buy and tune for career and online mp racing :/

About to buy the pack now I am home, then im going to go see how well any of the AWD cars drive and break the leaderboards.

phil_t

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I think the in-game credit system is pretty broken as it is. Paying 400 space bucks for DLC and still having to fork out over 5 to 6 million for the cars? When completing a 10-minute race earns only 50k credits at best? It's ridiculous. If reward cars can actually be sold at the rate of regular cars (ie. 1/2 of original value) then it wouldn't be so bad but as it is, reward cars are worthless if they're a car you don't like at all. There's almost no way of getting any decent value from selling them apart from ripping noobs off on the Auction House.

The Mclaren F1 GTR is 3.8 million credits, for fucks sake. It would take a shitload of races and series to be able to earn enough to own that car and there are so many other cars in the game that costs over a million credits.

It's the nature of these games, if they just gave you all the cars (you have access to them outside of career mode, i.e. Hotlapping, Quick-race where you can choose any car..) it would be pretty boring...

it's only in career mode that you have to accrue credits and spend them wisely..

I see what you are saying, but if you got what you wanted where is the challenge?

T Ghost

Hawk xSx said:
Happy Birthday to me! Forza 3 DLC is out!!

Downloaded the pack this morning before work.

Luckily I have 3.3 Million Dollars in the virtual bank to spend on these new cars.

Please somebody explain to me why does all this makes business sense:

The majority of consumers who buy this update today will not be able to use the content that they just bought due to not having 3 million credits to buy those cars. One pays cash for an update that one can't use. WTF?

I'm not even accounting for the cost of upgrades ...

To have 3.3 million in FM3 is an ARDUOUS task that takes TENS of hours to complete if you just want to play a RACING game and don't care about spending all your free time in a make-believe e-bay.

The prices of cars and upgrades are too high for people who just want to upgrade and tune their own cars and race, which I believe that what the sport "MOTORSPORT" is all about.

The conclusion is if you don't have the talent, free time and patience to be an artist or free time and skill to be a "commercial" tuner or just the free time enought to be an AH successful merchant, you will never be able to afford the majority of the fun in a Forza game: Enjoy a collection of awesome cars that you can upgrade and tune in a way that no other console game can even dream of offering you.

The game design in this third installment of the series took it to a point where the portion of the game that is about motorsport is secondary to the part about painting liveries, buying-selling at profit and tuning shops. Is that how T10 planned to expand it's audience? I'm confused.

Even that I understand that the game design is pushing players to go deep into the storefront/auction part of the game as merchants (wich is highly debatable as being the best game design choice for a game that carry MOTORSPORT in it's very own name) I miss the RACING game that Forza once was.

Just my 2 cents.

SmokyDave

Interestingly enough, when NFS Shift gave away five cars recently, they were added to the players garage, no purchasing needed.

T Ghost said:
The majority of consumers who buy this update today will not be able to use the content that they just bought due to not having 3 million credits to buy those cars. One pays cash for an update that one can't use. WTF?
Every car in the game is available to use outside of career mode. The rest of your post is barely worth addressing.

ElyrionX

phil_t said:
It's the nature of these games, if they just gave you all the cars (you have access to them outside of career mode, i.e. Hotlapping, Quick-race where you can choose any car..) it would be pretty boring...

it's only in career mode that you have to accrue credits and spend them wisely..

I see what you are saying, but if you got what you wanted where is the challenge?

Like the guy above said, grinding is not a challenge.

I think the game rewarding you for leveling up by giving you cars is all good. But it's common sense that not everybody is going to like all the cars they're getting via leveling up. The system can be so much better if the cars can actually be sold for more than 100 credits so we can actually use the rewards to buy the cars that we really want instead of having to grind to get them. Like I said, it would take a lot of time just to be able to buy 1 million credits car, let alone a 3.8 million Mclaren.

Plus, if the cars can be sold at the regular in-game rate, then you wouldn't have such a flood of worthless cars on the Auction House. As it is, I think the Auction House is pretty useless for someone not looking for unique vinyls. You have to scroll through 30 worthless reward cars to be able to find any kind of decent deal at all. What's the point of having an Auction House then?

Hawk SE

I can stand the concern over paying real money to then pay with virtual money to get the cars, kind of a double-stab. To me it makes sense, but I can see the other side of the coin as well.

T Ghost said:
Just my 2 cents.
Think of it like this, you pay a few allards to add 11 or so cars to the already 400+ rooster of vehicles, it sucks that we have to fork out ingame credits to use them in any form other then stock but at least it stops the same few cars flooding multi, oh wait.

Really what they should have done is make the dlc cars super cheap to buy instead of aiming at what I would guess is semi-real prices, all dlc cars should be no more then 150k to buy even if it's an R1, I will never buy the dlc cars over a few hundred K, ever.

The Italia is breathtakingly fun to drive; it may be my new favorite car to drive.

4169565388_bbafed08c0.jpg

4168803143_7a0f675995.jpg

The GT-R is also a beast.

4168802677_51acbaef27.jpg

4169565070_40a1295868.jpg

T Ghost

Psychotext said:
Every car in the game is available to use outside of career mode. The rest of your post is barely worth addressing.
You can't upgrade and tune cars that are not on your garage. If you can't upgrade/tune it's not Forza, sorry.

T Ghost

Diablohead said:
Think of it like this, you pay a few allards to add 11 or so cars to the already 400+ rooster of vehicles, it sucks that we have to fork out ingame credits to use them in any form other then stock but at least it stops the same few cars flooding multi, oh wait.

Really what they should have done is make the dlc cars super cheap to buy instead of aiming at what I would guess is semi-real prices, all dlc cars should be no more then 150k to buy even if it's an R1, I will never buy the dlc cars over a few hundred K, ever.

This.

My whole point is that cars are too expensive for the rate you rack up credits racing. No one can deny this FACT.

And racing stock cars? :lol Sorry...

Gek54

SmokyDave said:
Interestingly enough, when NFS Shift gave away five cars recently, they were added to the players garage, no purchasing needed.

I bet the game is unplayable now.

ElyrionX

So it seems like the general consensus is that cars are too expensive or you don't earn enough credits. Seems like the solution is simple and there are a few of them:

1. Lower the price of certain cars
2. Increase the credit rewards from races
3. Make reward cars just like regular car (ie. you can sell them off at 1/2 their original price)

I prefer option 3 though since it also removes the problem of worthless cars flooding the AH and it still involves a tradeoff, ie. you need to sacrifice some cars in order to be able to own something else.

It certainly sounds like the possible fixes are easy enough to implement but I'd be surprised if they do get implemented by Turn 10.

It'd be interesting too if Che can chime in on why the credit system was implemented like that and whether a fix is coming or not.

The obvious solution to this issue is to let us sell parts back at their original price, and let us sell cars back at their original price, INCLUDING gift/reward cars.

So you have the scarcity remaining, which encourages smart choices, but gives the player the ability to actually MAKE the choices by having a decent amount of credits. In essence, let us swap one R1 car that we're gifted for another. Don't FORCE an R1 car because the others are too damn expensive to buy.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
ElyrionX said:
So it seems like the general consensus is that cars are too expensive or you don't earn enough credits. Seems like the solution is simple and there are a few of them:

1. Lower the price of certain cars
2. Increase the credit rewards from races
3. Make reward cars just like regular car (ie. you can sell them off at 1/2 their original price)

I prefer option 3 though since it also removes the problem of worthless cars flooding the AH and it still involves a tradeoff, ie. you need to sacrifice some cars in order to be able to own something else.

It certainly sounds like the possible fixes are easy enough to implement but I'd be surprised if they do get implemented by Turn 10.

It'd be interesting too if Che can chime in on why the credit system was implemented like that and whether a fix is coming or not.

I wouldn't really see your suggestions as fixes. I don't know, I didn't design the credit system or the balance of the single player, but it makes sense that DLC follows the same format as the rest of the game, i.e., you spend your cash wisely based on your taste and preference in how you want to build up your garage. With our next title update, you'll receive 150k credits per DLC pack to put towards a car if you wish (I need to check if this is retroactive or not).

Those of you who want to simply collect every single car ever, yeah, it's going to get prohibitively expensive. The system is there so that the cars are trickled out based on your reward earnings, and hence, the "progression" inherent in a racing game like Forza. Like Psychotext said, you can test drive, play online, and take photos of every car in the game. If you want to unlock more access to these cars (i.e., "own" them) so you can then paint and tune them, yeah, you'll need to play more of the game. Why should this be seen as grinding? You earn credits and XP for any racing you do anywhere in the game (outside of hotlapping).

Taken to extremes, you could say that folks pay $65 bucks for the game so why should they have to pay in-game credits again to own each of the 400 cars?

There are more ways than racing to earn credits in Forza. Playing multiplayer, selling stuff on your storefront, selling cars in the auction house... hell, you might even be able to find some of these DLC cars eventually on the auction house for cheap.

Glad folks are enjoying the 458 Italia. Absolute joy to drive and behold.

BTW, we should get some nightly (or afternoon, whatever) GAF games going.

Edit: Holy shit Jube!

I'm used the settings I most recently posted in the photo/livery thread... but my shots pale in comparison to GRom's. His look so rich (I'm think the contrast setting is higher, though I'm not sure).

And Jube - great work once again. Your designs leave me floored.

Jube3

Thanks guys! Glad you like it :D

Zel3 said:
To the people that bought the DLC how are the dashboards in these new cars?

The Dashboards are sick. The 599xx has the an LCD on the steering wheel ( or behind it) and the GT-r has a ton of gadgets inside. Very awesome. Driving the GTR with the new shifting animations and all the gauges going is a pretty cool thing to look at.

Dynamic3

chespace said:
I wouldn't really see your suggestions as fixes. I don't know, I didn't design the credit system or the balance of the single player, but it makes sense that DLC follows the same format as the rest of the game, i.e., you spend your cash wisely based on your taste and preference in how you want to build up your garage. With our next title update, you'll receive 150k credits per DLC pack to put towards a car if you wish (I need to check if this is retroactive or not).

Those of you who want to simply collect every single car ever, yeah, it's going to get prohibitively expensive. The system is there so that the cars are trickled out based on your reward earnings, and hence, the "progression" inherent in a racing game like Forza. Like Psychotext said, you can test drive, play online, and take photos of every car in the game. If you want to unlock more access to these cars (i.e., "own" them) so you can then paint and tune them, yeah, you'll need to play more of the game. Why should this be seen as grinding? You earn credits and XP for any racing you do anywhere in the game (outside of hotlapping).

Taken to extremes, you could say that folks pay $65 bucks for the game so why should they have to pay in-game credits again to own each of the 400 cars?

There are more ways than racing to earn credits in Forza. Playing multiplayer, selling stuff on your storefront, selling cars in the auction house... hell, you might even be able to find some of these DLC cars eventually on the auction house for cheap.

Are there any plans to make the 5 cars from the LE (Scuderia etc.) eventually available to purchase? I just got a 360 and cannot find an LE anywhere, as GS doesn't sell it online anymore. Not being able to drive my absolute favorite car would be horrible.

Dynamic3 said:
Are there any plans to make the 5 cars from the LE (Scuderia etc.) eventually available to purchase? I just got a 360 and cannot find an LE anywhere, as GS doesn't sell it online anymore. Not being able to drive my absolute favorite car would be horrible.

Turn 10 makes promises and doesn't live up to them. What's new.

Where's the credits you promised as compensation for my level 46 corrupted savegame Che? I'm now at level 45 again and I am still waiting for it.

looks like I'll be stopping by Wal mart for a 1200 zune point card(This DLC + Zombie Island).

Really only interested in the Aston, R15, and the GTR. Will test drive the others and see if theres any other that I like.

PjotrStroganov said:
Turn 10 makes promises and doesn't live up to them. What's new.

Where's the credits you promised as compensation for my level 46 corrupted savegame Che? I'm now at level 45 again and I am still waiting for it.

Life is so unfair.

T Ghost

Talking to T10 it's like talking to a wall. It's their way or the highway. And Che's response only confirms that the T10's goal is to force anyone who like the experimentation of upgrading, tuning and racing cars to be a merchant at the AH/Storefront. I give up. Forza 3 morphed to a e-bay simulation game.

The argument that you can driver stock cars outside of career mode is not valid. Not until you can upgrade and tune those cars outside of career mode. Test drive a stock car on a game like forza, with that level of ugrading and tuning is useless.

I loved to death FM1 and FM2 and was loving even more FM3 until I found out how out of reach to have the fun I had with the previous games would be in FM3.

The game is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It's just how slow you make money racing compared to how expensive everything is that breaks the magic.

Jube3

T Ghost said:
Talking to T10 it's like talking to a wall. It's their way or the highway. And Che's response only confirms that the T10's goal is to force everyone to be a merchant at the AH/Storefront. I give up. Forza 3 morphed to a e-bay simulation game.

You can make tons of money racing. Bet someone here or on FM.net on the forums 250k or race for pinks. :D

SmokyDave

chespace said:
Those of you who want to simply collect every single car ever, yeah, it's going to get prohibitively expensive.

I hope that isn't to be taken literally. I raced / grinded / hotlapped my way to all 842 cars in GT: PSP and I loved every minute. I know I'm only one gamer but in your quote you've acknowledged we collectors exist. It's far from pivotal but I can't deny I was disappointed when I realised I wouldn't be owning a '57 Testa Rossa in BRG anytime soon.

Also, Holy shit Jube! I now HAVE to buy the DLC, that livery looks insane on the GTR. I'd give my left leg for that kind of talent.

Edit: I thought that making everything available in 'Free Play' mode off the bat was awesome and goes a long way toward easing the slow bankroll build up.

What do some of the races in season 6 pay out? I'm in season 4 and the scaling for the prize money simply does not scale well with the cost of cars for the higher classes.

Gowans

Che any info on the search all on storefront limiting to a random 8,192 entries?

I wanted to search everything then order by most downloaded but with this limit that's happening you can't do it.

T Ghost

chespace said:

You're not getting it Che. The problem is NOT that you don't make money racing. The problem is that the speed that you make money racing is too slow. You have to race over 40 hours to make 1.5~2 million. And that can get you half a dozen of full upgraded hot cars. So to have a respectable garage of say 150~200 cars you would have to race what, 1,000 hours? This is too much. Not all of us can dedicate 1,000 hours to gaming not to mention to a single game. Not even talking about having all cars.

Too many cars are too expensive. It's cute that their credits price is somewhat a resemblance of what they cost in real life but it's not being fun to have to race for 2 months to buy 2 cars. And about the AH, I'm sorry but I feel that it's a time sink to buy anything there by auction and I simply don't enjoy the experience. The very few times I bought something there in FM3 was on buyouts and even that was a money save it still didn't brought the price down too much to resolve the "problem".

Please understand that I don't mean to hate at all, I've been and still am a huge fan of the franchise since 2005, pre-order every game and even bought the strategy guide on FM1 and FM3 just for the sake of collecting anything Forza. But I'm just frustrated that it is sooooo hard to get all of my favorite cars in this game (not all of the 400 cars, just my favorites!) that the experience is not being fun anymore.

once again the internet's capacity for crying rears it's ugly head.

If every car in the career mode was so cheap that it just took a few hours to buy them all...what's the point of having credits at all? if there isnt any reason for money to matter (i.e. T Ghost has so many credits he just buys all/any car whenever he wants it) then how is that any different than the arcade mode?

the economy forces you to make choices on what cars you want to buy, how you spend your money, and what you buy on the storefront.

skyfinch

Jube3 said:
Happy Holidays guys! Themes on my storefront for the GT-R!
samandmaxfinal.jpg

Holy Christmas! That's beautiful, Jube. Nice work.

Anyways, traded in Street Fighter 4 for some microsoft points just for this DLC. GT-mother $%#*ing-R

This game is killing me. :D

Top Bottom