• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

G Rom

It's that time again, just deleted my third (I think) photo file.

The sheer amount to customization in the game still continues to amaze me, I certainly did not expect aftermarket aero kits on the Nissan Versa ! :lol

5902402342_a8ff272dd9_b.jpg

5902411870_3243ffbb6b_b.jpg

5901849147_ca827f4d98_b.jpg

5902418792_04eca49433_b.jpg

5902418584_e0f72a0e48_b.jpg

I hope the watermark is completely changed for FM4. It needs to be much smaller and placed in a better place...
In other words,
just copy GT5.

Getting 100% achievements in this game is such a grind. I'm in the 6th season now and I only have about 1/3 of the event list done.

I think I'm going to be hiring a driver for a good chunk of these. I'm only slightly ashamed by that.

HawksWinStanley said:
Getting 100% achievements in this game is such a grind. I'm in the 6th season now and I only have about 1/3 of the event list done.

I think I'm going to be hiring a driver for a good chunk of these. I'm only slightly ashamed by that.

yeah, i fired it up last night with the intention of trying to grind through the last 2 seasons. I gave up on the single player to race exclusively online...and took a look at the events list and i have so many blank spaces. i don't know if I even have the patience to grind it out.

plus i have that one 100,000+ drift...and i suck at drifting.

Doodis

I'm trying to at least finish the 6th season and get to driver level 50. Just started season five last night. I know I won't be able to reach 100% completion, but It would be nice to at least finish the campaign racing mode before Forza 4 comes out.

G Rom said:
I just love when old cars have crazy aero upgrades from their era available ! :p

I wish there were widebody kits available. The flared fender versions of that car looked fantastic. Same for the 911 from that era. OMG, DEM HIPS.

ghibli99

I think I'm nearing the end of the R3 series (either race 7 or 8 out of 9). As with many other racing games, my go-to car tends to be the Mine's R34. I have it upgraded to R800, and I just took it around 4 laps of Sarthe last night. What a RUSH!!!

I thought that by now I'd start losing interest, but it keeps me coming back. I'm only a few levels from hitting 40 on my driver, so I'm looking forward to finally reaching that milestone. I can easily say that Forza 3 is my favorite racing game this gen. I do agree with some of the reviews I've read that a difficulty level between normal and expert is needed, though. Does anyone know if that's addressed in FM4?

As an aside, I updated GT5 to 1.10 the other night. After that, it would just go to a black screen before the intro movie even started playing. Had to reinstall everything from scratch, which took an eternity. Pretty sure my PS3 knows I've been spending all my time w/ Forza 3 and is getting back at me. I'm OK w/ that. ;)

Holy crap it's tough to get used to the slower cars. I was level 41 in F3, then switched to GT5 and got lvl 30, now lost my save in F3 after getting my GT2 wheel all setup and replaced (faulty power cord) and I'm level 11 and just got a Porsche.

What's a good way to make money? I have the assists turned off to about a +40% I think but can't do it on every race. It's really different coming from the fast GT5 cars with soft tires.

What is a good setting for tires for let's say, the Porsche Cayman, or the Camaro you win early on?

It's been tricky for sure but it's kind of funny, I started with all the assists on for the most part except driving line and have found turning 1/2 of them off (autobraking, ABS, Traction Control) actual make it easier for me.

But I need me some credits! What's the quickest besides all assists off? Any certain race? I remember being really broke in this game lol.

skyfinch

Takes a long time to earn credits in career. I usually set up a private multiplayer race and run a good 10+ laps of a track with hardest difficulty (against 7 cpu drivers).

Still requires a lot of racing, but it's quicker than the slow grind in the career. Plus, you get to pick the CPU cars and tracks.

Shaneus

skyfinch said:
Takes a long time to earn credits in career. I usually set up a private multiplayer race and run a good 10+ laps of a track with hardest difficulty (against 7 cpu drivers).

Still requires a lot of racing, but it's quicker than the slow grind in the career. Plus, you get to pick the CPU cars and tracks.
Wow, you can do that?!? Best idea ever. Does it net much more than regular career races?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Shaneus said:
Wow, you can do that?!? Best idea ever. Does it net much more than regular career races?
I do that A class speedway event, the middle track, all assists off manual trans, hardest CPU, you can beat them easily since there's space to pass.. I get about 16k+ credits per 7 laps.

Interesting, I'll have to give it a try. One thing I liked about GT5 were the seasonal events and the credits they could net you. Kind of a shock coming back to F3 and remembering how poor I was in this game.

skyfinch

Shaneus said:

I'm a Nurburgring freak. Usually do a 10 lap race which is a little over hour or so of racing. Get roughly about 200k (?) credits (which is about the same as the career). Better than the Nurburgring endurance in career because I can pick what cars I want to race. And I think you also earn XP, so you can level up.

If you are really good at FM3, you can also pick a slow car and race against faster ones using this method.

Of course, you need to have a gold membership to enter into muliplayer, private race, with 7 cpu drivers, which is kind of silly.

Keep in mind, this is basically an online race with cpu cars, so you can't pause the game or use rewind.

Mascot

If you are strapped for time, by far the easiest method I found for farming cash in FM3 is to run a career mode endurance race on Le Mans, 17 laps, R2 class, with a hired driver. It's the last-but-one race in the last-but-one column in the Event List grid. I use an unmodified 2008 Koenigsegg CCGT and he always finishes a good three miles in front of second place.

Don't forget to change all assists to off, select manual+clutch, and pick hard opponents to net maximum return. And don't forget to use a wired controller or play 'n' charge cable to stop the game from pausing. The race takes about an hour so you can earn about 85,000 credits while eating your dinner or mowing the lawn.

It's sad that these sorts of tactics have to be resorted to at times, but FM3 is a little stingy with credits and some cars are a little too expensive. Every little helps.

ghibli99

Made it to R2 the other night and am a few weeks in. Super GT cars have been taking some getting used to, but I think I have a handle on 'em now. I like the career structure. Go from racing R2-class cars and then switching to D or E... so funny at first, but it throws a nice curveball at you and keeps things feeling fresh.

With each passing session with this game, the wait for Forza 4 feels even more excruciatingly long!

SCHUEY F1 said:
Car clubs will be nice in Forza4 since you and you buddies can share the more rare cars.
sharing cars would also help sort out races with everyone in the same tuned vehicle without tweaks, which forza 3 really lacked the ability to do.

Shaneus

Hey, this might be a bit out there, but would anyone want to gift me a car so I can get the "One car from all manufacturers" cheevo? I had 3.2mil, bought as much as I could and I'm 1,000,000 short on one more car (which I wouldn't have had to get prior to me getting all the DLC
LLShC.gif
).

skyfinch

Shaneus said:
Hey, this might be a bit out there, but would anyone want to gift me a car so I can get the "One car from all manufacturers" cheevo? I had 3.2mil, bought as much as I could and I'm 1,000,000 short on one more car (which I wouldn't have had to get prior to me getting all the DLC
LLShC.gif
).

Which car do you need?

Shaneus

It started with B and it was one of the DLC cars. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Fake edit: I think it was the Bertone Mantide, but I'd have to double-check. I wouldn't keep it, anyway... just long enough to register the cheevo.

Shaneus

Just remembered we're friends on XBL already! I'll gift it right back. I'm not sure how gifting works in F3 but I'm sure it's not as restrictive as GT5.

skyfinch

Shaneus said:
Just remembered we're friends on XBL already! I'll gift it right back. I'm not sure how gifting works in F3 but I'm sure it's not as restrictive as GT5.

No problem. I'm pretty much done with FM3 now. Just waiting for FM4.

Is it the Bertone Mantide?

skyfinch

Shaneus said:
Pretty sure it is, but I'd have to double-check to verify that's the one I don't have.

Okay. Send me a message on XBL with the car you need. I'll have to gift it to you tomorrow. Need to catch some ZZZZs before I go to work.

Mascot

skyfinch said:
Shaneus, I gifted you the car you needed.

Did this work? I didn't think DLC-only manufacturers counted towards the cheeve.
I reckon Shaneus is missing one from the original roster.

Shaneus

Mascot said:
Did this work? I didn't think DLC-only manufacturers counted towards the cheeve.
I reckon Shaneus is missing one from the original roster.
Yep, they definitely count! In the middle of it "downloading" the car, up popped up the Connoisseur cheevo.

Want me to gift it back, skyfinch? I have no use for the car now. Thanks so much!

skyfinch

Shaneus said:
Yep, they definitely count! In the middle of it "downloading" the car, up popped up the Connoisseur cheevo.

Want me to gift it back, skyfinch? I have no use for the car now. Thanks so much!

No problem. You can keep it. I also have no use for it.

skyfinch said:
You had some kick ass photos back around FM3's release. I remember both yours and G roms.

Thank for the kind words. G Rom's photos motivated me to play Forza 3 for the first time in months ; I've now played more than five hours since last night. Just keeping the skills sharp until Forza 4 releases.

Another for good measure:

5943820814_2d584968da_z.jpg

Edit: I few more photos I took today; the 458 is just a beautiful car.

5944562677_08db5ef931_z.jpg

5944562587_af5e4d2c69_z.jpg

5944562561_91089aea53_z.jpg

5944562539_b4ceced3df_z.jpg

5945117434_8f7b3ed8db_z.jpg

Mascot

Doodis said:
I'm trying to at least finish the 6th season and get to driver level 50. Just started season five last night. I know I won't be able to reach 100% completion, but It would be nice to at least finish the campaign racing mode before Forza 4 comes out.

Here's a pretty picture I made yesterday. Anything above E-class on Positano was a pain in the ass, and no game should have action that lasts shorter than the time taken to load it (I'm looking at YOU, bastard waste-of-time drag racing) but overall it's been a lot of fun getting there.

I've only got the 200k drift cheeve to go now, but to do that I have to acknowledge the existence of drifting. Not sure I can bring myself to do that.

fm4grid.jpg

Shaneus

Wow, bravo. I wonder if hiring a driver makes a difference? I've had to do that for some of the races as it just gets REALLY boring with the controller for the longer ones.

Perhaps it's more fun and less tedious with a wheel, even if it's the 360 FF one.

Mascot

Shaneus said:
Wow, bravo. I wonder if hiring a driver makes a difference? I've had to do that for some of the races as it just gets REALLY boring with the controller for the longer ones.

I hired a driver for a couple of the longer endurance races, and it definitely counts towards ticking the event off (if he wins, of course..!). I felt cheap doing it, but kept my sanity.

Shaneus said:
Perhaps it's more fun and less tedious with a wheel, even if it's the 360 FF one.

Without doubt, especially with all assists off. Even the most humdrum of races gains another dimension with the wheel. The experience is so much more... visceral.

ghibli99

Good God! That's awesome... no way I'm going to get there before FM4 comes out. I just saw the guy in the Dragon Quest IX thread who 100%'ed that game after around 775 hours. And now this. Pretty crazy stuff!

ghibli99

Quick update: Took me longer than I thought it would, but I finally hit level 40. Losing steam a bit at this point (middle of R2), just because I don't think the course variety is keeping pace with how long career mode is. I'm finding myself muttering things like "Man, Sedona again?" or "I *just* raced in NY 2 events ago." It's still fun, but I think I might move on soon and get some Dirt 3 going before Forza 4 hits. Less than 3 months! :)

I hate to swear but fucking shit! my save file has been deleted :/ had half the races complete and I really REALLY don't feel like doing that again after 2 years of work.

fucking shit :/ never get that all gold bullshit achievement now, I think it's deleted from turning the game off at the menu screen which I have always done, just unlucky this time :'(

Games with this much content should be much more secure with saves, hundreds of hours wasted.

Ugh there goes my like 8mil saved up for forza 4 along with my cars :/

ghibli99

Diablohead said:
I hate to swear but fucking shit! my save file has been deleted :/ had half the races complete and I really REALLY don't feel like doing that again after 2 years of work.

fucking shit :/ never get that all gold bullshit achievement now, I think it's deleted from turning the game off at the menu screen which I have always done, just unlucky this time :'(

Games with this much content should be much more secure with saves, hundreds of hours wasted.

Duuuude... so sorry to hear about that. :( I thought I was F'd in the A the other night when my 360 wouldn't do the system/title update, and seemed to get stuck in an infinite loop. Clearing the system cache worked, but then I see I'm logged in w/ 0 GPs and my avatar missing. Panicked for a bit, and then recovered my GT... thankfully, that worked. Agreed on a more secure save system. These things need to be in the cloud like Steam, just in case things like this happen.

Mascot

Diablohead said:

Fuuuu...uuuck!
That sucks goat balls. Seriously. Sorry for you, man.
Apart from the immediate heartache, losing your save file means you'll also miss out on whatever T10 have planned as the FM4 launch bonus (the one that evaluates your save file).

Shit, son. Shit.

T10, please take heed. Give us an automatic back-up save for Forza 4, PLEASE.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Mascot said:
Here's a pretty picture I made yesterday. Anything above E-class on Positano was a pain in the ass, and no game should have action that lasts shorter than the time taken to load it (I'm looking at YOU, bastard waste-of-time drag racing) but overall it's been a lot of fun getting there.

I've only got the 200k drift cheeve to go now, but to do that I have to acknowledge the existence of drifting. Not sure I can bring myself to do that.

nice, I just have the solid gold achievement left. Looking at the stats for completion % I'm only around ~35%. I'm hoping to get it done in time for 4. 100% for FM2 didn't seem as tedious, although looking at my stats on that, my in car driving time was like 120+ hrs...

G Rom

Damn, sorry to hear your story Diablohead... :(
Hope FM4 will have cloud saves.

Congrats to you Mascot, I'm at 86% myself and aiming to 100% it before FM4 (failed to do so for FM2 before FM3).

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I'm not a fan of the color you choose for the 458 Funny Bunny but other than that your photos are great. :)
The Nürburging GP is one of those track with ridiculous texture quality.

Some new ones :

5939376177_6b6657bd39_b.jpg

5939931292_b4c61a1f92_b.jpg

The sound of the Mosler is just pure eargasm :
5969899766_926e77effa_b.jpg

5969341535_c6e90876ce_b.jpg

A Fujimi Kaido Old Down Hill run with the stock E63. Love that car (the E-Class Coupé is even more gorgeous) and love trying to drift on that layout :
5969899958_cc573c44ea_b.jpg

5969341707_771b720c2a_b.jpg

5969900196_8d56478bf9_b.jpg

5969341975_193114280a_b.jpg

5969342051_c2dea524da_b.jpg

5969342131_4f39672481_b.jpg

5969342241_300b3c34bf_b.jpg

Turn 10 proudly present : Flying paint ! :lol
5969900116_f53c6ac95c_b.jpg

When I restarted forza 2 for the 3rd time I was able to beat everything without feeling burned out, this game however is like torture, too many races on the same tracks, too little reason to grind through them.

Hope F4 fixed this by giving a better feeling of progression or much better races. I know that I keep going on about managing a team or crew but for a game like this it would be sweet to see.

Gaspode_T

God I love the color of that 458

I haven't played Forza 3 for months since I got kind of bored of waltzing through the career mode, would any of the DLC that's on sale right now spice it up? What I wouldn't want is for it to suddenly make it way harder because I pretty much suck at this game and play it with assists on, but I've been meaning to go back and at least try to clear the main bits of the game.

Top Bottom