• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 announced

p3tran

Banned
One thing I've been really clamoring for with Forza is the ability of unlimited tuning combined with gradual damage.

For example.

Someone takes a Mustang and puts 2000 RWHP on a built block but when he races the engine will only last for so long, the same way it would in reality. Vehicle to vehicle would definitely vary with more well built engines lasting longer, this way you can tune unlimited but there will be consequences for going with a over-powered setup.

forza 4 made your upgrades easy(/automatic) and free of charge, so thats a direction pointer.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Would wreak havoc with online balance and the PI system in general.

No it wouldn't, if you're being realistic about it going all power would kill traction and you would never be able to keep up with others in handling.

We already see this with even the current system.

Gestault

I want a "carwash" feature in Forza 5. There, I said it.

Everyone made fun of it in GT5, and my only thoughts were "this is the best thing I've ever seen."

FordGTGuy

Banned

Everyone made fun of it in GT5, and my only thoughts were "this is the best thing I've ever seen."

4a4da-Ari_Gold_Get_the_Fuck_Out.gif~original

Next thing you'll say is that you want oil changes that give your car more power... what a joke.

Having the car slowly loose it's shine was rather cool back in the day in gt1 and 2 for me.

The original Forza and I think 2 has the car getting dirty along the sides after 10+ laps but it will be automatically clean next race, but the car would get rather unrealistic dirt and it looks rather lame, newer gen power could resolve this quite well.

Gestault

Having the car slowly loose it's shine was rather cool back in the day in gt1 and 2 for me.

The original Forza and I think 2 has the car getting dirty along the sides after 10+ laps but it will be automatically clean next race.

Yeah, I remember the dust build-up in Forza 2 specifically because I played it for a solid month while I was recovering from knee surgery (also heavily drugged). I thought that was pretty neat.

Seanspeed

Banned
No it wouldn't, if you're being realistic about it going all power would kill traction and you would never be able to keep up with others in handling.

We already see this with even the current system.
I'm guessing you never experienced the 'speed cars' of Forza 2 and 3 that ruined the balance of multiplayer fairly often.

n385055

Banned
Not sure exactly how it works, but there's a pretty big jump in quality from DVD audio to BluRay audio(one of the more impressive things for me about BluRay), so I'm guessing something along those lines.

Basically I would agree but considering the fact GT5 still uses vacuum cleaner sound I'm sceptical. Meaning, just the new technology doesn't guarantee better results.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Basically I would agree but considering the fact GT5 still uses vacuum cleaner sound I'm sceptical. Meaning, just the new technology doesn't guarantee better results.

That's because GT5 uses vacuum cleaners as their source for engine sounds while Forza uses real cars.

As for that FMOD news awhile back, iracing uses FMOD apparently so that might be a nice little clue as to where the sounds might be going. I just hope Nick.W doesn't act as though everyone is stuck with crappy little TV speakers and allows people with high end headsets and home theaters to turn off that stupid distortion crap.

FordGTGuy

Banned
That's because GT5 uses vacuum cleaners as their source for engine sounds while Forza uses real cars.

As for that FMOD news awhile back, iracing uses FMOD apparently so that might be a nice little clue as to where the sounds might be going. I just hope Nick.W doesn't act as though everyone is stuck with crappy little TV speakers and allows people with high end headsets and home theaters to turn off that stupid distortion crap.

Just look up Forza Dyno on Youtube.

MechaZain

Banned
Well, I can only presume many, many owners of Microsoft Wireless Speed Wheel will also not be very happy once they learn they can't use it on One.

I really hope MS will solve this situation. It is their Top3 first-party franchise with strong emphasis on branded "FM" wheels in past 5 years on current generation.

People who were buying Forza Motosport Fanatec wheels - CSR and CSRE were officially branded as "Forza Motorsport" wheels, while PWTS and GT2 were *only* branded as "X360" wheels - were also buying pedals, shifters, wheelstands, cockpits, etc. Every one of us spent at least 500€ on their Forza setup, while actual overall expenditure were probably higher.

What MS is *suggesting* now is not only we should buy new console + game + Gold subscription (at least 600€), but we should invest even more money on the wheel that will probably work with XBOne only (I mean, if they offer XID/HID wheel but with locked XBOne only functionality in wireless Xinput mode - and they do not offer HID for XBOne, meltdowns will be glorious).

Also not even to mention how any *new* wheel will not be able to match performance of CSR/CSRE models and CSE/CSP pedals in some normal price-range.

I don't know, longer I think about the whole situation more I do not like it.

I really, really hope the E3 will give us answers. HID-support would be Godlike for driving games. I really hope Microsoft has come to the same conclusion by some mean.

Only interested in this if it supports my MS Wireless Wheel and so far it's the only game I'm interested in for the Xbox One.

Mascot

So folks, only seven days to go until the MS E3 conference. Excite am grow. It looks like Prague is the new flagship venue for FM5 (box art, first trailer) so I'm expecting it to feature heavily, but I really hope we get to see a lot more variety at E3 and not just this track. I seem to remember that the FM3 launch at E3 2009 mainly featured Montserrat, but that location had three separate tracks (four if you include the Extreme variant) with quite distinct looks despite the shared geogrpahy. I really hope we see more than just Prague, and I really hope we get some lengthy in-depth presentations like this Gamespot one from 2009

hardvibes

Can you guys imagine this game online with dedicated servers if that stuff about dedicated servers actually turns out true?
No I can only imagine myself going nuts if the crash/freeze in online lobbies still occurs and still isn't fixed after 2-3 months

[thank you livery editor]

n385055

Banned
Just look up Forza Dyno on Youtube.

Well, afaik T10 did this kind of motor sound recording already in the past for previous Forza titles. So this is no guarantee for significant sound improvements. But again, T10 didn't disappoint us in the past and I'm sure we will see (hear!!!) again a big motor sound firework in "Forza Gimme Five" for all the awesome V8, V10 V12, etc. out there!

Can't wait for E3!

saladine1

Turn 10 has been using FMOD in all its games as far as I know.
It's just that the new set of tools are optimized for Xbox One and Turn 10 will perhaps be the first game to use them..

The distortion effect (DSP) is built in and I don't think there will be an option to turn it off.

It will be interesting to see how they have handled audio for FM5. Not long now...

Only interested in this if it supports my MS Wireless Wheel and so far it's the only game I'm interested in for the Xbox One.

The speedwheel and any other 360 wireless controller won't be supported by the XO. Here's hoping they make a new one though. Maybe this time they can do a better job explaining to people what it is, and how it works. Oh, and put some damn bumpers on it, OK? Rumble triggers too of course.

EDIT: Oh, sorry you said wireless wheel. If they support usb wheels, otherwise no. Here's hoping that's what they do.

Turn 10 has been using FMOD in all its games as far as I know.
It's just that the new set of tools are optimized for Xbox One and Turn 10 will perhaps be the first game to use them..

The distortion effect (DSP) is built in and I don't think there will be an option to turn it off.

It will be interesting to see how they have handled audio for FM5. Not long now...

The distortion is applied to the sound before putting it into the game.

Both devs use a very similar dyno method. Turn 10 uses the distortion, PD does not. Also, it's not applied real time. Only the things like Doppler effect, etc are.

Is it weird that I'm really excited to see how the trigger stuff feels in this game?
Some really fun stuff could be done with feeling the engine in the accelerator trigger and abs/lockup in the brake. Contact, bumps and curbing rumble in the controller itself.

saladine1

The distortion is applied to the sound before putting it into the game.

Both devs use a very similar dyno method. Turn 10 uses the distortion, PD does not. Also, it's not applied real time. Only the things like Doppler effect, etc are.

They are using real time digital signal processing. This is quite evident especially when the engine is under stress.

They are using real time digital signal processing. This is quite evident especially when the engine is under stress.

Of course they distort is based on the revs, but they still do the "main" distortion before hand. That's why lower revs sound a lot better, because they are basically playing their "base" sound, sans real time distortion.

I hope Turn10 have changed the Forza 1 era models, atleast the most requested like the F40, NSX, S2000, Impreza 22b, etc. The models have been updated many times in terms of details but it doesnt mather how much you smooth the lines or how much detail you add to the interior/engine when the overall shape have accuracy problems.
For me is one of those things that just cant keep unchanged after so much time.

Shaneus

I hope Turn10 have changed the Forza 1 era models, atleast the most requested like the F40, NSX, S2000, Impreza 22b, etc. The models have been updated many times in terms of details but it doesnt mather how much you smooth the lines or how much detail you add to the interior/engine when the overall shape have accuracy problems.
Oh man, don't remind me about the 22B model. I have a feeling they used the same one in PGR4, because it looks equally as bad in that as it does in all the Forza games. I was going to say that at least it has the excuse of being a 6 year-old game, but even then, it looks bad compared to some of the other models used in it.

Oh man, don't remind me about the 22B model. I have a feeling they used the same one in PGR4, because it looks equally as bad in that as it does in all the Forza games. I was going to say that at least it has the excuse of being a 6 year-old game, but even then, it looks bad compared to some of the other models used in it.

Lots of Forza 1 era models are fine and looks good with the updates but some like the ones I mentioned are inaccurate.

Makki

Lots of Forza 1 era models are fine and looks good with the updates but some like the ones I mentioned are inaccurate.

If by the third console generation Turn 10 recycles those inaccurate models again I will lose a lot of respect for the team. Its an eyesore, and a lazy solution to try to polish turds like the S2000 or the F40.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

while i dont much care personally (time could be spent elsewhere, rather then reworking a few cars in a game that offers hundreds upon hundreds), it may be like the ring --- something that has survived for too long before being revamped, as hinted at by badned

If by the third console generation Turn 10 recycles those inaccurate models again I will lose a lot of respect for the team. Its an eyesore, and a lazy solution to try to polish turds like the S2000 or the F40.

I wont call the F40 model a turd but clearly is not up to the level of other cars, it has a few errors but the wheels are probably the worst of it.

If they not change them it will not be because they are lazy or something like that, Turn10 have several outsourced 3d companies working for them that can make around 100 great 3d models per year, it will be because they dont think its a big deal enough to justify the time.

while i dont much care personally (time could be spent elsewhere, rather then reworking a few cars in a game that offers hundreds upon hundreds), it may be like the ring --- something that has survived for too long before being revamped, as hinted at by badned

I dont think the same 3d artists are making both cars and tracks, theres a level of specialization here.

I suspect few would disagree that there are clearly far more pressing matters to be addressed in FM5, *cough* weather/night/spahurst *cough*, and that redoing inaccurate legacy models, although it would be nice, should be given minimal importance until those big ticket items are sorted out.

If they not change them it will not be because they are lazy or something like that, Turn10 have several outsourced 3d companies working for them that can make around 100 great 3d models per year, it will be because they dont think its a big deal enough to justify the time.

Definitely, and there's reason for some optimism, because some models have been reworked to varying degrees. Several Porsches were touched up for the Expansion Pack, with the 997 Turbo being completely remodeled, the diffuser of the Enzo was fixed for Autovista, and while there wasn't much wrong overall with the '09 908 and MC12 Corsa models, they were redone to have the correct aero configuration for the former, and the shortened nose for the latter.

Someday, my friends, someday we'll wistfully look back and recall the times of the woeful S2000, and all his deformed ilk, which, although having long since been fixed, we still somehow miss in some strange way.

Or not.

Shaneus

I suspect few would disagree that there are clearly far more pressing matters to be addressed in FM5, *cough* weather/night/spahurst *cough*, and that redoing inaccurate legacy models, although it would be nice, should be given minimal importance until those big ticket items are sorted out.
That's part of the reason I'm not super confident in them delivering something spectacular for the launch of the One. There are a stack of niggly issues, missing/requested features and the load of working on a new console with brand new architecture.

I hope they nail it, but I just know there'll be something at least we (as the most hardcore) will consider a sizeable misstep.

Mascot

Six more days.

Christ, I hope they put the Fanatec support issue to bed at E3. My enthusiasm for FM5 is being tempered by the knowledge that, no matter how incredible the game turns out to be, I won't be getting an Xbone or FM5 if my wheel isn't supported. I'd hate to be wasting time and energy getting all excited about a game that I'll never actually end up playing.

saladine1

Six more days.

Christ, I hope they put the Fanatec support issue to bed at E3. My enthusiasm for FM5 is being tempered by the knowledge that, no matter how incredible the game turns out to be, I won't be getting an Xbone or FM5 if my wheel isn't supported. I'd hate to be wasting time and energy getting all excited about a game that I'll never actually end up playing.

It's nerve wracking!

Seriously though, I think we better get used to the idea that it isn't going to happen.
Either we accept it and move on or we stop right now to avoid absolute disappointment if we do indeed see weather, rain, SpaHurst, upgraded career...dyno...etc in the final game.

Perhaps Turn 10/MS should put us out of our misery right now. The sooner the better..

Also
tkeovjn.png

Seems like it's going to be pretty substantial compared to previous showings..

p3tran

Banned
I'm in the same boat with everyone. Forza is the only positive thing against a sea of negativity that is the new xbox. Its not my call though, microsoft called it to be like that. Steering wheel is one, but also for me there is the nuad camera and drm policies that are even more important.
If you told me last year, that there would be a new xbox out with day1 forza, i would have killed for it. But as microsoft called the shots here, its very thin ice...
So, looking forward to what dan shows us in 6 days, but also looking forward to how ms will finalize their policies for their new machine..

Neo 007

Getting back to the Car Model discussion for a minute.
MOST of the cars in Forza 4 were fairly accurate but some were glaringly no were near the mark.Generally with the time these car/driving games have been out there should now be no excuse other than perfect accuracy in the modeling.It's not like an older car changes its shape over time.What I'm getting at is the modelers have a static reference point that is timeless.

I'll admit,this is one thing Polyphony is very good at.Pitty about their sounds.

Shaneus

Honestly difficult to get excited about a game I may have to pay ~$900 to play. They'd better blow my freakin' pants off at E3. And I mean HARD.

Mascot

Helios - assuming you haven't fallen down a well - we get that you can't talk about FM5 yet, but are you able to seek official answers to questions about previous FMs?

For example:

• Why was the extreme track in FM4 not playable in reverse?
  • Why did Montserrat get new (incorrect) rock formations in FM4 compared to FM3?
  • Why do all Forzas say 'saving' when the word they are looking for is 'loading'?
  • What was it about the Forza graphics engine that meant cars couldn't have different wheel sizes front and rear?
  • Why have we never been able to create custom single-player races with lap numbers, AI difficulty etc?
  • Why has there been so many car packs but only very few track packs?

I'm sure others here have burning questions about previous versions. It'd be great if some of them could be answered.

PS hope you haven't really fallen down a well. Pop in occasionally and let us know you are OK. We worry.

Dan on stage.

Lights go out...sounds of distant popping...screen fades in...wet evening race at Spa!...perfectly modelled US spec F40 complete with ugly black bumpers passes the camera with a roar...*crackle* *crackle* *pop* *pop* *pop*...fades out.

Make it happen.

• What was it about the Forza graphics engine that meant cars couldn't have different wheel sizes front and rear?

The engine can display different front and rear wheel sizes, (wheel diameter and width), provided you fit aftermarket rims, but it cannot display different wheel offsets, (distance from the hub to the wheel centerline).

This is most apparent on, but certainly not limited to, race cars:

The early screenshots of the P1 suggest this limitation is still in FM5, or at least was at the time they were taken, as BADNED has noted that the shots were from an early build.

Mascot

Dan on stage.

Lights go out...sounds of distant popping...screen fades in...wet evening race at Spa!...perfectly modelled US spec F40 complete with ugly black bumpers passes the camera with a roar...*crackle* *crackle* *pop* *pop* *pop*...fades out.

Make it happen.

This would make so many people happy and silence so many critics, which is two reasons why it'll never happen. We'll get Car Darts in a disused quarry instead.

The engine can display different front and rear wheel sizes, (wheel diameter and width), provided you fit aftermarket rims, but it cannot display different wheel offsets, (distance from the hub to the wheel centerline).

Ah yes, this is what I meant. Thanks!

Anyone seen Helios?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I dont think the same 3d artists are making both cars and tracks, theres a level of specialization here.

sorry, i wasnt clear. i should have said resources would be better spent elsewhere. again though, just my opinion.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but since Microsoft and EA are now BFFs, what with NFS having Ferrari and all, is it all but a lock for FM5 to feature a stable of Zuffenhausen's finest?

917, 935, 991, (Turbo, GT3, RSR), 918 on day one, and next year's LMP1 as DLC, kthxbye.

Mascot

I'm sure this has been discussed, but since Microsoft and EA are now BFFs, what with NFS having Ferrari and all, is it all but a lock for FM5 to feature a stable of Zuffenhausen's finest?

917, 935, 991, (Turbo, GT3, RSR), 918 on day one, and next year's LMP1 as DLC, kthxbye.

The DLC model has been proven to work, though. FM5 will ship with McLarens only. Every other car? 60 Dandollars each, thankyouverymuch.

Shaneus

Or they could pull a GRID 2 and have them as day one DLC. Because why not?

Top Bottom