• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

That sucks there should be different daylight times for each track at least... Maybe dlc.

It's not bad but I really expected a lot more tracks with different conditions. Who knows, maybe this time instead of new tracks as DLC will get different conditions for the tracks we already have in game.

Mascot

It's not bad but I really expected a lot more tracks with different conditions. Who knows, maybe this time instead of new tracks as DLC will get different conditions for the tracks we already have in game.

And maybe not just the existing sun/night/wet conditions, but also fog, haze, frost etc.

It would be great to have a sunny wet track, for example (like after a summer storm). The track is wet but it's stopped raining and the sun is shining.

Actually, you'd think it wouldn't take much to have the rain stopping and starting during the existing wet races, just to a dd a little variety. The sky box or lighting wouldn't need to change, just the appearance of the raindrops on the car body and windshield.

Mascot

I expect the same if new tracks are added. Especially after the announcement that Halo 5 maps are going to be free too.

Weren't FM5's free tracks a response to the meagre original content though? FM6 will launch content-rich, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to have to pay for any future track DLC.

It was so much fun doing those runs with you. Cockpit (which is weird because (spoiler)
I normally drive chase cam
), bone stock cars, one run for better or worse, and knowing I had to push every single corner to make this work was exhilarating.

Every corner knowing I have to push for faster entrance angle and exit speeds, watching my traction around each down hill section after high rpm, cutting each apex perfectly just to squeeze tenths of a second, and above all making the ride entertaining and heart pounding for potential viewers. Man, I'm excited to give the fans a fucking show.

Oh yeah, I can't wait to get it started up again. Plus, now that The Ring has night and rain as an option? Oh yeah, going to be awesome!

Weren't FM5's free tracks a response to the meagre original content though? FM6 will launch content-rich, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to have to pay for any future track DLC.

That's my take on it. T10/MS were managing PR with FM5. That shouldn't be an issue this time.

They do usually do freebies, though, such as a free car even if you don't buy the pack, so tracks modes, such as rain for Monza or night for Prague, as a way to advertise paid track DLC and generate goodwill doesn't seem a stretch to me.

I look forward to the day Forza has a dynamic time of day system of sorts. I don't really need one that gradually changes, just let us set any time of day and some weather conditions.

Mascot

I look forward to the day Forza has a dynamic time of day system of sorts. I don't really need one that gradually changes, just let us set any time of day and some weather conditions.

If it let you set any time of day (via global illumination) then you can guarantee it would also allow time to progress dynamically, and at any rate. It'd be daft not to.

I hope FM does find a way to adopt this system, even if it's on the next gen of hardware. The variety it brings to each circuit is amazing. Even having a procedurally-generated sky that's unique every single time you play really helps to keep things fresh, especially if you can set any day of any year as well as any time of day like you can in pCARS. I guess the next big thing will be proper simulation of seasons.

Fredrik

If it let you set any time of day (via global illumination) then you can guarantee it would also allow time to progress dynamically, and at any rate. It'd be daft not to.

I hope FM does find a way to adopt this system, even if it's on the next gen of hardware. The variety it brings to each circuit is amazing. Even having a procedurally-generated sky that's unique every single time you play really helps to keep things fresh, especially if you can set any day of any year as well as any time of day like you can in pCARS. I guess the next big thing will be proper simulation of seasons.
I don't need the time of day to change dynamically, just let me change the time manually, I just get annoyed if the race start off with the sun up and I drive like a pro and end with night and I start crashing around like I'm drunk and ends up losing the race. I suck at night driving :p Night + rain is even worse. I'll be pissed at Turn10 if they force me to drive on Nordschleife in a rainy night :/

SarBear

New article up on the FM.net website about the new mods feature and prize system.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6_mods

73a0e115-2cd8-495f-a67d-fe174aa94617.jpg

Awesome! Thanks!!!

Edit: The mod system sounds fucking awesome. I never got into Horizon 2, but the prize grid sounds interesting as well. I know it's all been done before, but at least it gets away from having a stale, "marginal upgrade" feel that Forza 5 left me with.

Azzawon

New article up on the FM.net website about the new mods feature and prize system.

The dare and boost mods sound like a great idea and like it mentions in the article, it'll push players out of their comfort zone.

I think I'll be staying away from crew mods though, I don't like the idea of artificially improving the performance of a car when I know that it'll skew my experience with a given car when I race online.

Edit: noticed this at the end
Mods cannot be used in multiplayer, Leagues, or Rivals events; in fact, Career lap times that feature Mods will be classified as “dirty” when appearing on that event’s Rivals leaderboard.
Surely it would only make sense to dirty a laptime if the mods enabled affected car performance? There's no need to dirty laptimes if the player is starting 24th or using any of the boost mods you would have thought?

MouldyK

How do you unlock Mod Packs?

I presume Real Money maybe? But can we also buy with CR too?

The dare and boost mods sound like a great idea and like it mentions in the article, it'll push players out of their comfort zone.

I think I'll be staying away from crew mods though, I don't like the idea of artificially improving the performance of a car when I know that it'll skew my experience with a given car when I race online.

I can maybe see some use. Like if you are adamant on using a car for a race, but even upgraded, it can't outpace other cars, so just put on the Crew Mod for more power you away you go!

...or give more grip for some of them Ford cars which refuse to turn corners.

GHG

Not sure about these to be honest... They wouldn't be out of place in Horizon (especially the crew mods) but in the mainline motorsport series? I don't see how its necessary... It just makes the game more geared up to cater towards people who really want an arcade racer.

Also, are you guys going to monetize these?

I really hope not.

Azzawon

I can maybe see some use. Like if you are adamant on using a car for a race, but even upgraded, it can't outpace other cars, so just put on the Crew Mod for more power you away you go!
That's a good point, if manufacturer affinity is making a return I may have to use some crew mods to make some certain cars a bit faster!

MouldyK

That's a good point, if manufacturer affinity is making a return I may have to use some crew mods to make some certain cars a bit faster!

Well luckily no Achievements are based on Affinity.

TBH, most of the Achievements are easy and Free-Flowing, which is nice. I hate being rail-roaded into using cars.

Azzawon

Well luckily no Achievements are based on Affinity.

TBH, most of the Achievements are easy and Free-Flowing, which is nice. I hate being rail-roaded into using cars.

That was my biggest gripe with the achievements in Forza 5. I only had 5 manufacturers that I really used consistently throughout the game
Lotus, Ferrari, Ford, McLaren and Honda
so grinding the last three got extremely tedious. I'm looking forward to this one being a bit more relaxed so I can enjoy a wider variety of cars without getting sick of using the same ones over and over.
Yep, badges are returning.
Yay!

Fox Mulder

Remember how Long Beach, Road America and 'Ring were free for F5?

I expect the same for F6's Track Additions.

You peeps need to chillax.

That was really nice, but I figured they did it that way to make up for it being a pared down launch game that needed more tracks period.

I don't expect free tracks again, but it would be great.

purg3

slept with Malkin
So before I preorder the digital deluxe edition or whatever it's called, can someone confirm. There is no physical LE edition that contains all of the extras being released in the US, correct?

I like the sound of these mods, I think I'll be playing around with them.

My biggest wish for FM6 though is races specific to car type. Just try to set up a quick race with 1960s F1 cars in Forza 5. You can't. You'll end up racing against hot hatches and supercars. The only way to do it is via the multiplayer menu and that's not ideal.

Noobcraft

I like the sound of these mods, I think I'll be playing around with them.

My biggest wish for FM6 though is races specific to car type. Just try to set up a quick race with 1960s F1 cars in Forza 5. You can't. You'll end up racing against hot hatches and supercars. The only way to do it is via the multiplayer menu and that's not ideal.
I would love One-make races. The options for setting up single player races are too limited.

Azzawon

Thanks, that kind of sucks, I like all my Forza LE's. Wonder what the reasoning was since they have always released an LE version.

All about dat digital future. Probably something to do with the early access bonus too.

Still using my Forza 3 USB stick

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Forza GAF need suggestion.

I am getting

Thurstmaster TX - 450$ CAD with tax
And Wheel stand - 150$ CAD with shipping

Does this sound good? Reasonable?

I looked into playseat but its almost 500$ :( is it really worth it?

Mascot

Not sure about these to be honest... They wouldn't be out of place in Horizon (especially the crew mods) but in the mainline motorsport series? I don't see how its necessary... It just makes the game more geared up to cater towards people who really want an arcade racer.

Also, are you guys going to monetize these?

I really hope not.

Yeah, they are definitely arcadey, but they fit in OK with the family-friendly broad appeal and sim-lite direction that FM's been heading in for several years now. And you don't have to use these mods. I might be wrong but they seem geared towards boosting XP earnings, just like turning off ABS and TCS does. They could be a good way of reducing the credit grind for those that choose to use them.

Forza GAF need suggestion.

I am getting

Thurstmaster TX - 450$ CAD with tax
And Wheel stand - 150$ CAD with shipping

Does this sound good? Reasonable?

I looked into playseat but its almost 500$ :( is it really worth it?

Depending on how deep you want to go. If you just want the standard setup go for it. But if you want a 3 pedal setup or a different wheel rim, you might want to wait because they are going to start selling the base by itself in a month, and it would be cheaper to buy it peice by peice if you intend to get the accessories.

Velkyn

Since this seems to be Forza GAF central for the moment, I have a question:

Picked up Horizon 2 yesterday. This is my first foray into car games since Gran Turismo 2. I popped into the garage before bed last night to look at the upgrade/tuning options, and my head is still spinning; is there any resource I can look at to better understand all this stuff? I definitely don't want to go the pure arcade route and do everything automatically, but at the same time, I don't want to spend entire play sessions optimizing my builds.

HeliosT10

Picked up Horizon 2 yesterday. This is my first foray into car games since Gran Turismo 2. I popped into the garage before bed last night to look at the upgrade/tuning options, and my head is still spinning; is there any resource I can look at to better understand all this stuff? I definitely don't want to go the pure arcade route and do everything automatically, but at the same time, I don't want to spend entire play sessions optimizing my builds.

Try this video out from Xbox UK, some good tips in there well explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIlfKp_rU8o

Noobcraft

Picked up Horizon 2 yesterday. This is my first foray into car games since Gran Turismo 2. I popped into the garage before bed last night to look at the upgrade/tuning options, and my head is still spinning; is there any resource I can look at to better understand all this stuff? I definitely don't want to go the pure arcade route and do everything automatically, but at the same time, I don't want to spend entire play seasonally optimizing my builds.

Quick and dirty: I mostly just toss racing tires onto whatever I'm using. If it's an off-road vehicle I do the suspension, tires, and make it AWD.

The video linked by Helios is nice because it explains what the upgrades are doing. The only upgrade I don't understand as well as I'd like to is differentials.

In my experience, it doesn't matter much which engine upgrades you use, they all add Hp and Torque. Probably to a different degree but not detectable for me. When I upgrade a car, I almost always improve (by 1 or 2 steps) tire compound, weight reduction. I max out brakes and springs ( because it hardly adds any to the car level and slammed cars look cool, yo ) then I upgrade the engine until the car is maxed to the class. Camshaft provides a big boost for not much money. Lastly I might spring for new wheels if the stock ones look lame. And I've been known to fuck around way too much with bumpers and side skirts.

Quick and dirty: I mostly just toss racing tires onto whatever I'm using. If it's an off-road vehicle I do the suspension, tires, and make it AWD.

The video linked by Helios is nice because it explains what the upgrades are doing. The only upgrade I don't understand as well as I'd like to is differentials.
On an AWD car, getting the best Diff lets you change the front / rear power distribution. I usually go 10/90 on my cars.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
If space is at a premium I have one of these. Very comfy!

http://www.playseat.com/shop/eu/uk/playseat-challenge-racing-seat.html

Hmm is it sturdy enough? With good force feed back I dont want everything to be shaking. And this is also more expensive.

Depending on how deep you want to go. If you just want the standard setup go for it. But if you want a 3 pedal setup or a different wheel rim, you might want to wait because they are going to start selling the base by itself in a month, and it would be cheaper to buy it peice by peice if you intend to get the accessories.

I am not that hardcore fan who will keep buying different ad-ons lol. Just want to know if this wheel is good and worth it.

FordGTGuy

Banned
On the topic of cockpits, after owning it for a while I can't say I would recommend the Fanatec CSL, it's just uncomfortable to get in and out and just becomes a hassle over time.

HeliosT10

Hmm is it sturdy enough? With good force feed back I dont want everything to be shaking. And this is also more expensive.

I am not that hardcore fan who will keep buying different ad-ons lol. Just want to know if this wheel is good and worth it.

I think it's pretty sturdy, I use it on a wooden floor and don't hear any rattling with FF set to max.

Here's a nice video review by Inside Sim Racing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_lxcNdMdmU

Top Bottom