• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

BADNED

Week 5 garage reveal:

2014 Audi #67 Rotek Racing S3 Saloon
s3_btccu8yhf.jpg

2014 Toyota #80 Speedworks Motorsport Avensis
avensis_btcc77xto.jpg

the rest:

2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe
2000 Nissan Silvia Spec-R
1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
1992 Honda NSX-R
1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am SD-455
2002 Camaro 35th Anniversary
2014 Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG
2012 Ultima GTR
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed
1997 Land Rover Defender 90
2014 Honda #2 Castrol Honda Civic WTCC
2014 Honda #5 Zengo Motorsport Civic WTCC
2014 Toyota #20 United Autosports Avensis
2014 Toyota #11 Handy Motorsport Avensis
1991 Ferrari 512 TR
2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
1992 Volkswagen Golf Gti 16v Mk2
1992 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
1987 Buick Regal GNX
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is
2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport
1974 Lancia Stratos HF Stradale
1980 Renault 5 Turbo
2015 Jaguar XFR-S
2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8
2013 Mazda MX-5
1994 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee
1993 Jaguar XJ220
1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
1990 Subaru Legacy RS
2002 Acura RSX Type-S
2003 Audi RS 6
1991 GMC Syclone
1973 Mazda RX-3
1995 BMW M5 E34

Azzawon

Touring cars everywhere, I love it! Great to see some BTCC and WTCC in there :)

Can we expect more BTCC than just 3 liveries for the Avensis?
Edit - and the S3 of course!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I need to make a list of my fav cars to use this 5 mill on.

Assuming my favs from FH2 are in, I know Skyline GT-R V-Spec II, GT-R Black Edition, Aston Martin DB5, new Dodge Challenger, Ferrari Enzo, Maserati Gran Turismo S, '85 RX-7, Volvo 850 R, Chevy Chevelle SS-454, Chevy Impala SS 409, Abarth 595, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, Caterham Superlight R500, Tesla Model S P85D, '74 Celica GT, Alfa Romeo Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde, Lotus Esprit V8, a Jeep something, and every Lancia because I'm a Lancia fanboy.

You think that'd soak up 5 mill? I don't think it would. I guess I could blow extra on some more Ferraris. F40, 355, F12 would be nice.

JaggedSac

I'm not even gonna lie... I'd donate good money to a bonus fund to bribe Playground games not to put cross-country races in the next Horizon game. They single-handedly made sure FH1 was the superior game imo (although there's plenty of other things I prefer about FH1 overall).

I want the open-world stuff when I'm driving about... go ahead and use them for the bucket list stuff even, they're fine as a novelty. But I don't ever want to see them as a regular part of the general campaign ever again.

I will create a matching fund to make sure it stays in.

ShamePain

Banned
Is it just me or they've tightened up the graphics a little bit since E3?
Also the windshield is now visibly dusty and has wipers' markings.

Castaway

It's fine that stuff is in there as some people seem to like it, but I don't want them as a part of the campaign. The rally courses in the storm island expansion were way better and came out with cars suited for it. I just don't want to take a Ferrari off road.

I can't recall any campaign championship events in Horizon 2 that required you to take a supercar or hypercar on a cross-country event (except maybe retro supercars). If there were any among the 168 championships/600+ events, it was a rarity. Those races largely used fast road courses and mixed surface trail race courses.

Cross country races are a fun romp, IMO, and a nice change of pace. Usually white-knuckle experiences too, all in the name of fun. Not a realistic form of motorsport by any stretch, but that's not the point of it. Variety of activities is what makes a great open world game.

Yes apart from the occasional introductory event you can pretty much avoid offroad events by choosing car types and competitions that don't venture off the roads. There are so many events you can do the two championship finals while still mostly avoiding offroad events and still have hundreds of events left to do.

There's plenty of choice there for everyone. I'd hate to see off road disappear from FH3 when people who don't like those events can easily avoid them already.

Dynasty

The third Forza spin-off should be Forza: Galactic Racers. It should be a arcade spaceship racer/battler with Microsoft characters like MasterChief, Marcus, Steve. Essentially MS's answers Mario Kart.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Love that 2014 Audi #67. Would really like to see the Audi S4 B6 in the game. I had hoped for it in FH2.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm not even gonna lie... I'd donate good money to a bonus fund to bribe Playground games not to put cross-country races in the next Horizon game. They single-handedly made sure FH1 was the superior game imo (although there's plenty of other things I prefer about FH1 overall).

I want the open-world stuff when I'm driving about... go ahead and use them for the bucket list stuff even, they're fine as a novelty. But I don't ever want to see them as a regular part of the general campaign ever again.

giphy.gif

Heretic!

EBreda

2016 - Forza Horizon 3
2017 - Forza Rallisport
2018 - Forza Motorsport 7
2019 - Year off preping for next gen
2020 - Next gen debut, Horizon 4 to go along with it.

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm really digging the focus on race cars. Makes me hopefull the team has their eyes on the new competition (Pcars) and maybe we're getting a more focused racing game as opposed to a driving one.

Wee still need quali, longer races and spectate.

Gestault

Assuming it's financially feasible, I'd love to see Forza Motorsport (for focused circuit racing), Forza Rally (for off-roading), and Forza Horizion (for open city tracks) on a three year rotation, all building off the same base of cars. Have Motorsport be the core of the physics modelling, and adjust as needed for Rally and Horizon. The variation year-to-year would help things feel fresh, and give the teams a good development window for each game.

ShamePain

Banned
Assuming it's financially feasible, I'd love to see Forza Motorsport (for focused circuit racing), Forza Rally (for off-roading), and Forza Horizion (for open city tracks) on a three year rotation, all building off the same base of cars. Have Motorsport be the core of the physics modelling, and adjust as needed for Rally and Horizon. The variation year-to-year would help things feel fresh, and give the teams a good development window for each game.

Well, the question is where do you find the third team that's gonna be as good as T10/PG?

EBreda

Well, the question is where do you find the third team that's gonna be as good as T10/PG?

PG was nothing before Horizon as well. You'd probably have to build it from the ground up. But there's always Sumo Digital (Out Run, Sonic All Stars), Milestone (WRC, Superbike). Maybe.

Trup1aya

Man, I hope they reject your donation... Because the off-road races were a ton of fun...

Why you gotta be like that? Can't you just have them in some sort of event list, where I can ignore them? :(

You can mostly ignore them now by hand picking your championships... there's no need to single this race type out...

ShamePain

Banned
PG was nothing before Horizon as well. You'd probably have to build it from the ground up. But there's always Sumo Digital (Out Run, Sonic All Stars), Milestone (WRC, Superbike). Maybe.

PG is overflowing with talent, tons of people from Codemasters and other racing studios. It would be real hard to find another team like that. And milestone, really? That would knock forza straight into 60 metacritic territory.

EBreda

PG is overflowing with talent, tons of people from Codemasters and other racing studios. It would be real hard to find another team like that.

Exactly, that's why I said they'd probably have to build it from the ground up. Like PG was.

And milestone, really? That would knock forza straight into 60 metacritic territory.

I don't know. They've been working for considerable time with the WRC license. Give'em a fully developed Forza engine / modelled cars / budget / colaboration with T10/PG, they could probably turn out a pretty good game.

But of course there's no denying their track record is pretty spiffy.

Synth

Haha.

I'd kinda been sitting on this opinion for a long time now scared to actually state it. I knew it wasn't gonna be received well. Dice's post gave me some brief misguided confidence, lol.

Man, I hope they reject your donation... Because the off-road races were a ton of fun...

You can mostly ignore them now by hand picking your championships... there's no need to single this race type out...

I can't easily avoid them though, without avoiding the majority of car classes. Pretty much all except the highest end car classes will force off-road events on you as part of their championship. I think if the game had an event list where you could select individual races, rather than entire championships, it'd bug me a lot less.

It's fine that stuff is in there as some people seem to like it, but I don't want them as a part of the campaign. The rally courses in the storm island expansion were way better and came out with cars suited for it. I just don't want to take a Ferrari off road.

This so much. Storm Island was great because the cars were suited for it. All the rally stuff was great. But I hate, hate, hate the cross country so much in the regular campaign. Every event had at least one race that you had to do cross country and it doesn't matter what car you're in. Lame!

It also comes across as a way to pad the stats and say you have X amount of events and tracks and what not when really at least a third of them are just, ugh!!

That being said I too will get the Ultimate Edition of FH6 because just like FH2 I know I will keep going back to it even if it's just a little at a time.

krang

Touring cars everywhere, I love it! Great to see some BTCC and WTCC in there :)

Can we expect more BTCC than just 3 liveries for the Avensis?
Edit - and the S3 of course!

Having genuinely worked on both the Cruze WTCC and 1er BTCC in real life, I do hope they're included.

forza 5 is still to this day one of my most played Xbox one games, I hve the deluxe edition digitally pre ordered, I can't wait to see how rain effects your driving, and whether or not driving at night night make the break line less visible

Noobcraft

Anyone else notice that the xbox one is stood up vertically in this photo? Is this okay?

TULZRCs.jpg
Turn 10 keeps a lot of their units vertical (some of their pictures on twitter are like that). I suppose as long as the disc drive isn't in use it shouldn't hurt anything.

The main fan being on the bottom is the only issue I can think of regarding heat dissipation.

veidi

Is it just me or they've tightened up the graphics a little bit since E3?
Also the windshield is now visibly dusty and has wipers' markings.

Wow good eye...I didn´t see this the first time.
There is also another Helm Design.

1 week to go for more infos......right Helios ?!?! =D

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Anyone else notice that the xbox one is stood up vertically in this photo? Is this okay?

TULZRCs.jpg

The disk drive would be the only thing to worry about.
And ive accidentally used it vertical with no issues...but i guess its a precaution as the disk could slip or fail to slot in properly.

As for heat i believe it doesnt affect the console much, i think the intake vents on either side of the console are more than sufficient to cool the XB1.

In fact i think most 1st party studios have their consoles vertical.....clearly there is something they know.
Ben_Heck.0.jpg

Me neither, I wondered if it had anything to do with licences and their blended tyre model until they went with Pirelli and now again using some anonymous data.

2016 - Forza Horizon 3
2017 - Forza Rallisport
2018 - Forza Motorsport 7
2019 - Year off preping for next gen
2020 - Next gen debut, Horizon 4 to go along with it.

Anyway, back on topic.

I'm really digging the focus on race cars. Makes me hopefull the team has their eyes on the new competition (Pcars) and maybe we're getting a more focused racing game as opposed to a driving one.

Wee still need quali, longer races and spectate.
If we do get a rallisport forza game it would be next year and then horizon 3 the year after, otherwise two horizon games that close in the same gen seems a little silly.

I let forza 5 slide because it was a launch title and lacked a lot of content which used to be in forza 4.

It was a limitation of the graphics engine, apparently.

Whatever that means.

It was?

There's other weird shit like some window stickers not being visible from the inside, in Forzavista you can see them on the outside, open the door, look through the other side of the glass and they are gone.

Gestault

It was a limitation of the graphics engine, apparently.

Whatever that means.

On a totally serious level, the motion for tyre movement in modern racing games is still "faked," because even at a 360hz refresh rate for the physics engine, wheels moving at full speed exceed the 60 fps display information. I have a feeling the tyre branding on the side makes that harder to fake.

Noobcraft

Considering they do have *some* details on tire sidewalls I think it's probably licensing. Driveclub cars have Driveclub brand tires on them, so I don't see why T10 doesn't just put "Turn 10" or "Forza Motorsport" on the side of the tires.

On a totally serious level, the motion for tyre movement in modern racing games is still "faked," because even at a 360hz refresh rate for the physics engine, wheels moving at full speed exceed the 60 fps display information. I have a feeling the tyre branding on the side makes that harder to fake.

This is the most likely one.

Play and Forza game and you'll notice that when you're above 30mph or so, your wheels turn into a 2D-spoked version that simply has a motion blur texture on top. It's especially noticeable for rims that have been painted. It seems that it only has this blur texture for manufacturer rims, so if you have black rims and go fast, they mysteriously become chrome/alloy and get shinier.

Tumeke NZ

Banned
Hype levels are rising for this game!
Seriously considering buying a proper race wheel. If I was, what are peoples suggestions/experiences/recommendations with the current crop of X1 wheels?

saladine1

More Touring Cars is absolutely great news!
An often requested class of mine. Hopefully, Turn 10 includes more classic Touring Cars, and yes, I'm talking about classic Aussie Touring Cars such as these..

vPU3rTF.jpg

QSAh66z.jpg

HhfLiMR.jpg

Clock is ticking Turn 10. Our nation is waiting for you to deliver unto us the promised ones..

Mascot

I was being serious - years ago I remember reading that the same limitations of the graphics engine that stopped open-wheelers being in the game were also stopping tyre sidewall branding. Nope, I didn't understand it at the time either. Open wheelers are obviously now in the game so maybe there's no technical barrier any more, so wonder what the actual reason is.

As regards 'faking' the branding at speed, plenty of other games have managed it perfectly well for many years now, so I'm guessing it's probably either a licensing issue or just another one of those little details that we all know helps with motorsport authenticity but that Dan doesn't consider important enough to bother with.

Top Bottom