• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

ShamePain

Banned
So if anyone is still wondering how big this game is gonna be in comparison to X360's Forzas, here's a little breakdown:
1. 26 tracks. FM3 had 24, 2 of them were test tracks, 3 were using the same location - Montserrat. Forza 4 had 26 too, but again 3 of them were using Montserrat as their setting. So in terms of unique tracks Forza 6 is gonna be ahead. Plus night and rain add variety too. Plus potentially we'll see track expansions similar to Forza 5.
2. 450+ cars at launch. Forza 3 had 440 cars at launch, but if you look at the list there's a fair bit of duplicate racing cars, Forza 6 has some too, but I think overall it has more unique models in the roster. Forza 4 has 483 cars without DLC, so it's only slightly ahead. Both Forza 5 and Horizon 2 had 100+ cars added post-release, so I'd expect Forza 6 to get similar treatment.
3. It still feels like this gen is just starting to kick into gear so probably we'll see another one or two FM entries before next xbox is introduced, it's exciting to think how much content the last forza of this gen will have, considering they're already topping the pinnacle of their last gen offerings. Hopefully they can keep the pace going into future games. Forza 7 with 35+ tracks/700+ cars? Sounds realistic now. The only issue might be BD disc capacity, Forza 5 is already 40 gigs, unless they invented some new method for compressing data Forza 6 will easily exceed the limits of double layer BD. Maybe they'll announce the game size at gamescom.

BADNED

It wasn't recaptured, it was never captured before but made from reference material.

The laser-scanned version of Nurburgring in Forza 5 is the first laser-scanned version of the track in existence.
Just the first in a commercial product.

Given that Forza 4 had a fair share of duplicate race cars I think for the majority of people they will be even. Hopefully Forza 6 doesn't have any more duplicates aside from Formula E.
There are a lot of one-make race series around the globe.

ShamePain

Banned

There are a lot of one-make race series around the globe.

Just saying that unique models take more effort to make than 10 different liveries for a single model. I don't have a problem with it as long as there is still a great variety of cars to choose from.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So there's four tracks left to be announced?

My (hopeful)guess:

Maple Valley
Suzuka
Fujimi Kaido
Positano

That still leaves Motegi, Tsukuba, Infineon, Camino Viejo, Hockenheim, Iberian, Ladera, Mugello, Sedona, Sunset Peninsula and Mugello out of the equation though. I wonder if we'll see any of these in Forza 6's lifetime?
Man, I hope they release all of these after launch. I wouldn't mind paying up to $2.99 per track, I miss Camino Viejo so much.

As for Forza in game dealership I hope they go back to the way it was on lastgen - where you first chose the manufacturer and then individual models, the way it's done in FM5/FH2 is such a step backwards, going through a huge dump of cars gets old quick and it's only gonna get messier the more cars they add. And don't tell me about sorting, it's still way slower and more obtuse than having a list of manufacturers.
I agree so much! Must have clicked RB hundreds of times when the Porshe pack came out. FM2-4 were perfect in this regard

jim2011

I noticed that Forza Horizon 2 allows you to buy multiple of the same car. To get the bonus for Forza 6, can I just keep buying the cheapest car until I reach 300?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I noticed that Forza Horizon 2 allows you to buy multiple of the same car. To get the bonus for Forza 6, can I just keep buying the cheapest car until I reach 300?

Yes, join my club. It's slow as shit, though. Took me 1.5 hours to buy 70 cars.

It wasn't recaptured, it was never captured before but made from reference material.

The laser-scanned version of Nurburgring in Forza 5 is the first laser-scanned version of the track in existence.
After all the effort to capture the Nordschleife, it's weird that it has never once showed up for me in career mode. Long Beach was DLC as well, right? That track comes up in the rotation as one would expect...

Klocker

If they're going to encourage us to buy more cars for god's sake please bring back the garage organizing tool that allowed you to group and order sets of cars from FM4.

I love having all the cars but my slight ocd nature about my garage management will not allow me to have cars just dumped in all over the place.

Out of curiosity, I just booted up FM5 and did a free play race on the laser scanned 'Ring. Holy shit it was a humbling experience. I've gotten decent at the track from PGR4 & FM2-4. This is nothing like those older games. For starters, it was weird having the start/finish line not be on the long straight. Then, the visuals are just mind blowing, it's almost hard to focus on the track itself. It also didn't help that I plowed my poor 458 into one of the earlier turns, which made me see the whole rest of the track through quite the spider web cracked glass... Still, amazing rendition of the track.

FordGTGuy

Banned

Asseto came after Forza 5.

I know, laser-scanning is common for road maintenance; it was the first time it was in a game though.

hah, you're right. by a month ;)

Around 9 months actually.

AC Dream Pack with Nurburgring came out March 11th 2015 for $15:

http://www.virtualr.net/assetto-corsa-dream-pack-dlc-now-available

Forza 5s Nurburgring DLC came out on June 9th 2014 for free:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/09/forza-motorsport-5-gets-free-nurburgring-dlc-now

Cheddahz

Banned
Going all in with this, since Forza Horizon 2 is still something that I play daily (or mostly daily)

CK9Ahl6UwAAAKj0.png

FordGTGuy

Banned
Going all in with this, since Forza Horizon 2 is still something that I play daily (or mostly daily)

CK9Ahl6UwAAAKj0.png

This is also why I don't have a problem with this, I always find myself jumping back to FM or FH and just messing around for hours. Even after Forza 6 releases I know I'll be jumping back to Horizon 2 from time to time.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I won't, and probably won't get the next Horizon game. Way too many problems that kill the whole point of a racing game IMO and Forza 6 will be my sweet release into a better world. Did I play it 50 hours? Yes I did, but it's a sentiment that cemented over time, especially the more I was forced to do that possibly-worst-in-genre offroad. Hilarious they based their whole expansion pack on it.

Cheddahz

Banned
This is also why I don't have a problem with this, I always find myself jumping back to FM or FH and just messing around for hours. Even after Forza 6 releases I know I'll be jumping back to Horizon 2 from time to time.

Exactly! If your game can keep me busy for a long time (even if it just means I get on for thirty minutes a day), then you have a solid game and I'll buy it at launch. I actually regret not getting the Ultimate version of FH2, since a good number of the DLC cars are cars I want to drive and I don't want to have to worry about that again with FM6

Mascot

Any word yet about the length of typical career races? I know endurance races are back but can we increase the number of laps in 'normal' races? The return of 2-3 lap sprints would be a major turn-off for me.

willbsn13

Any word yet about the length of typical career races? I know endurance races are back but can we increase the number of laps in 'normal' races? The return of 2-3 lap sprints would be a major turn-off for me.

No word yet. Hopefully we'll find out at gamescom

GHG

Gold Member
I won't, and probably won't get the next Horizon game. Way too many problems that kill the whole point of a racing game IMO and Forza 6 will be my sweet release into a better world. Did I play it 50 hours? Yes I did, but it's a sentiment that cemented over time, especially the more I was forced to do that possibly-worst-in-genre offroad. Hilarious they based their whole expansion pack on it.

Yep. Forced off-road was a terrible decision IMO. I hope the next game is more road focused with maybe a better focus on city street racing.

I'd love a game set in the UK. Racing around the streets of London one moment and then hooning it around narrow country roads the next would be brilliant.

Dice

Yep. Forced off-road was a terrible decision IMO. I hope the next game is more road focused with maybe a better focus on city street racing.
I just posted a long rant in the FH2 thread so as not to clog this up.

I'd love a game set in the UK. Racing around the streets of London one moment and then hooning it around narrow country roads the next would be brilliant.
Definitely. Get some PGR kind of stuff in there but with the much better Forza gameplay.

NuKERxyz

I didn't like that off country races on FH2, but liked the more rally "trail races".
I think its time for Turn 10 or Playground release a proper Forza Rally game.

willbsn13

I didn't like that off country races on FH2, but liked the more rally "trail races".

This. I think the trail/mixed surface racing was fine, especially with all the off-road based vehicles in the game. The cross country races were a bit silly, and the fact that they had you do them in Supercars, Hypercars, Muscles etc was a bit off. I think PG emphasized freedom and the 'drive anywhere' philosophy too much - and they did this (I believe) after a lot of criticism from FH1 as the open-world was barriered off almost entirely and there was very little open space. Hopefully for FH3 they still have all the open space for exploring and the occasional off-road run in a proper rally machine - but focus on good roads/trails for actual racing.

As for the what the third Forza franchise should be... its hard to say. As much as I would love something akin to Rallisport Challenge 2 - I also would love a spiritual successor to PGR4 and there probably is a bigger market in that style of game than a pure rally game. It seems with the off-road focus of FH2 and that both Horizon games have off-road based DLC expansions, T10/PG are trying to sort-of appeal to that rally niche of the market, without releasing a full blown rally simulator like Dirt Rally.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Heh, the off-road races were my favourite parts of FH2.

Honestly, I'm losing braincells just thinking about ploughing a field with a Lamborghini.

Rally events were great, loved them. Smashing across a field in a supercar doesn't, and never will, float my boat.

RE:
You're from Australia and your website is www.xfalcon.com. I don't think anyone's surprised it's your most used car ;)

FM4

4 Coupes
Total winnings: 5.5mill
Total distance: 3685km
Total time driven: 26.15H
Total races completed: 289

Side note, I think I have sold or gifted a couple of falcons over the years so numbers aren't absolute.

2nd most driven

Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4

Winnings: 2.5mill
Distance: 1,600km
Time: 11h
Races: 103

FM5

Coupe

Winnings: 48.7mill (lol, not legit)
Distance: 1.100km
Time: 21.75h
Races:70

2nd most used car

Dodge Viper GTS ACR
Winnings: 290k
Distance: 550km
Time: 4h
Races: 34

Virtually every other car would average 3 races each. The majority being zero haha.

h3ro

I miss the auction house and individual player store fronts.

It's such a pain to find specific tunes and liveries and now with the Forza 5/Horizon 2 tunes/paints system. Also, I always enjoy picking up a car from the auction house that a forza tuning house released.

Synth

I'm not even gonna lie... I'd donate good money to a bonus fund to bribe Playground games not to put cross-country races in the next Horizon game. They single-handedly made sure FH1 was the superior game imo (although there's plenty of other things I prefer about FH1 overall).

I want the open-world stuff when I'm driving about... go ahead and use them for the bucket list stuff even, they're fine as a novelty. But I don't ever want to see them as a regular part of the general campaign ever again.

Dice

It's such a pain to find specific tunes and liveries and now with the Forza 5/Horizon 2 tunes/paints system.
The store needs major improvements. You should at least be able to bookmark stuff while browsing and also have a unique code you can give people to immediately grab your design. I still have no idea what "following" a creator does since I haven't been able to find a "creator page" with all their stuff or whatever.

Fox Mulder

I'm not even gonna lie... I'd donate good money to a bonus fund to bribe Playground games not to put cross-country races in the next Horizon game. They single-handedly made sure FH1 was the superior game imo (although there's plenty of other things I prefer about FH1 overall).

I want the open-world stuff when I'm driving about... go ahead and use them for the bucket list stuff even, they're fine as a novelty. But I don't ever want to see them as a regular part of the general campaign ever again.

It's fine that stuff is in there as some people seem to like it, but I don't want them as a part of the campaign. The rally courses in the storm island expansion were way better and came out with cars suited for it. I just don't want to take a Ferrari off road.

Said it before, I'll say it again, I think we all (T10, Playground + consumers) would benefit from a 3 year dev cycle, with a new franchise mixed in. The new one doesn't even need to be consistent - try different things. Give us PGR 5 one year (arcade on closed tracks) and rally the next time. The reason rally works well though would be because it gives real reason for T10 to focus on the off-road part of their games. Imagine Horizon 3 learns from Forza Rally, and integrates realistic terrain deformation, and a better handling model for off-road stuff?

But without it, I think Horizon especially is really going to suffer from franchise fatigue. I love Horizon 2, it's my game of the year for 2014, but another one in a year already feels too soon. And I want another vibrant, full world - not one that had to be cut back due to time constraints. The mainline series could also clearly benefit. Give them time to sort out a more dynamic weather system.

I think there's a decent chance of it happening. They've acknowledged the want for a another spin-off in the past I think. Let's just hope that next year it's not Horizon being announced, but Forza Rally.

Mascot

I miss the auction house and individual player store fronts.

It's such a pain to find specific tunes and liveries and now with the Forza 5/Horizon 2 tunes/paints system. Also, I always enjoy picking up a car from the auction house that a forza tuning house released.

Totally agree. The changes they introduced were ill-conceived and badly implemented. I'm still not sure what the point of the changes were, apart from stopping some people getting super e-rich with virtual money. And who cares about that?

Top Bottom