• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Forza 5 cars didn't support rain effects, working windshield wipers and nighttime cockpit illumination. It's whole other load of work to be done, take a guess why Forza 5 had 10 cars per month as DLC and Horizon 2 only 6 and Forza 6 only 7.
Compared to modeling a whole car, wipers, headlights and instrument lights sound fairly easy. What will you say when FM6 DLC contains cars from FH2 + FH2 DLC?

Here's a list of currently confirmed tracks.
1. Rio
2. Daytona(Night)
3. Watkins Glen
4. Brands Hatch(Rain)
5. Indianapolis (new reworked layout)
6. Prague
7. Bathurst
8. Nurburgring(Rain)
9. Sebring(Night/Rain)
10. Road America(Night)
11. Road Atlanta
12. Long Beach
13. Top Gear Test Track
14. Yas Marina(Night)
15. Airfield Test Course
16. Le Mans(Night)
17. Laguna Seca
18. Bernese Alps
19. Circuit de Catalunya
20. Circuit de Spa Francorchamps(Night)
21. Silverstone
22. Lime Rock Park
23. ???
24. ???
25. ???
26. ???

Please sweet jesus give us Kaido back! I want that and a nice highway course like they have in GT5/6. I LOVE doing top end street racing on those things.

G17

Please sweet jesus give us Kaido back! I want that and a nice highway course like they have in GT5/6. I LOVE doing top end street racing on those things.

Definitely! Fujimi Kaido needs to come back.

My wish list:

23. Fujimi Kaido
24. Suzuka
25. Monza or Montreal
26. Monaco clone (ie. Azure Coast)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Definitely! Fujimi Kaido needs to come back.

My wish list:

23. Fujimi Kaido
24. Suzuka
25. Monza or Montreal
26. Monaco clone (ie. Azure Coast)

I'll take Monza or Montreal. Both my favorite tracks in F1.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hockenheimring.

willbsn13

Really looking forward to Lime Rock. Some people have likened it to an American Tsukuba which is awesome cause I love Tsukuba, although im not sure how much truth there is to that statement.

It's also great to see the Zakspeed Capri and Merc 300SLR in the game as well, too great cars that a lot of my Forza Rewards money will go to considering they'll probably be very expensive.

I'm still waiting for the announcement of the updated V8 supercars, and more Classic F1/Can-Am + BTCC, and WTCC that Dan talked about and confirmed at E3.

It was also weird how they didn't mention any rain/night with Lime Rock, does that mean it won't have rain/night or are they just waiting to announce that later?

eso76

Here's a list of currently confirmed tracks.
1. Rio
2. Daytona(Night)
3. Watkins Glen
4. Brands Hatch(Rain)
5. Indianapolis (new reworked layout)
6. Prague
7. Bathurst
8. Nurburgring(Rain)
9. Sebring(Night/Rain)
10. Road America(Night)
11. Road Atlanta
12. Long Beach
13. Top Gear Test Track
14. Yas Marina(Night)
15. Airfield Test Course
16. Le Mans(Night)
17. Laguna Seca
18. Bernese Alps
19. Circuit de Catalunya
20. Circuit de Spa Francorchamps(Night)
21. Silverstone
22. Lime Rock Park
23. ???
24. ???
25. ???
26. ???

Monza
Pacific Raceways

They were both laser scanned by the same company that did fm5 tracks.

Watch the remaining two be
Hockenheim
Sonoma

Or Suzuka

Castaway

Horizon and Motorsports have always shared cars. Which make it annoying when FH2 DLC cars are identical to FM5 on-disc cars, such as the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, or FM5 DLC like the 1956 Ford F100, 2013 Audi RS4 Avant. *cough* ripoff *cough*

ahem...None of FH2's DLC cars were in FM5 unless they were free or set aside for pre-order. The three you cite:

2010 mazdaspeed3 = January Free Car.
1956 Ford F100 = September Free Launch Bonus Pack
2013 Audi RS4 Avant = Pre-order car

If you count all Horizon 2 DLC from October through July including promo cars, there are something like 87 cars total. Of those, over 50 were new to franchise when released. The others were FM4 ports brought up to current gen.

If you include the launch bonus pack's 8 cars + the other 18 free monthly bonus and promo cars, that's a total of 26 free cars, and the 4 free Mazdas were also brand new to Forza!

Hardly a rip-off, dude.

Gestault

Which make it annoying when FH2 DLC cars are identical to FM5 on-disc cars, such as the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, or FM5 DLC like the 1956 Ford F100, 2013 Audi RS4 Avant. *cough* ripoff *cough*

None of FH2's DLC cars were in FM5 unless they were free or set aside for pre-order. The three you cite:

If you count all Horizon 2 DLC from October through July including promo cars, there are something like 87 cars total. Of those, over 50 were new to franchise when released. The others were FM4 ports brought up to current gen.

If you include the launch bonus pack's 8 cars + the other 18 free monthly bonus and promo cars, that's a total of 26 free cars, and the 4 free Mazdas were also brand new to Forza!

There's something nice about seeing a criticism so completely disassembled, especially when resulting conclusion is a good thing.

ahem...None of FH2's DLC cars were in FM5 unless they were free or set aside for pre-order. The three you cite:

Hardly a rip-off, dude.
Pre-order cars are still paid DLC! Here are some more duplicates that aren't free in FH2.
1987 Buick Regal GNX
2008 Ferrari California
2009 Honda S2000
2013 M6 Coupe

By the way, I've bought every car pack for FM5 and FH2. I just feel that some criticism is valid when the devs charge for the (almost) same car multiple times

Gestault

I just feel that some criticism is valid when the devs charge for the (almost) same car multiple times

Do you think the extent of the base car selection should have bearing on that criticism? In the sense of how much is offered before DLC/Expansions come into play. You called the offerings a "ripoff."

Mascot

I guess we're full circle again with the old argument about whether any 'free' game DLC is ever actually 'free' because the development cost of ongoing drip-fed content might (or might not) have already been factored into the original development cost (and therefore, selling price) of the game, or factored into the price of other 'paid' DLC, so is actually being paid for in a non-overt (I deliberately didn't say 'covert') way. It's very possible that season pass-buying whales are buying the 'free' cars for the minnows.

Please note that all accusations about content being carefully cherry-picked and removed from any game, only to be re-packaged and sold again as DLC are utterly scandalous, unfounded, and never proven.

willbsn13

Pre-order cars are still paid DLC! Here are some more duplicates that aren't free in FH2.
1987 Buick Regal GNX
2008 Ferrari California
2009 Honda S2000
2013 M6 Coupe

By the way, I've bought every car pack for FM5 and FH2. I just feel that some criticism is valid when the devs charge for the (almost) same car multiple times

Honda S2000 was part of the base game and wasn't in any DLC and the Buick Regal was part of the free launch car pack. It's only the pre-order car pack that is where they are charging for FM5 cars as DLC. So only four cars. I totally get where your coming from, but its only four cars and if it really annoyed you that much, just don't buy it.

ShamePain

Banned
I guess we're full circle again with the old argument about whether any 'free' game DLC is ever actually 'free' because the development cost of ongoing drip-fed content might (or might not) have already been factored into the original development cost (and therefore, selling price) of the game, or factored into the price of other 'paid' DLC, so is actually being paid for in a non-overt (I deliberately didn't say 'covert') way. It's very possible that season pass-buying whales are buying the 'free' cars for the minnows.

Please note that all accusations about content being carefully cherry-picked and removed from any game, only to be re-packaged and sold again as DLC are utterly scandalous, unfounded, and never proven.

Besides they have to arrange new licensing agreements for cars and tracks for each new game and sometimes that might not work out in time for launch for a variety of reasons. It's not original content like characters/levels in an action game so they can't just reuse it without giving the owners a call.

Mascot

Besides they have to arrange new licensing agreements for cars and tracks for each new game and sometimes that might not work out in time for launch for a variety of reasons. It's not original content like characters/levels in an action game so they can't just reuse it without giving the owners a call.

Absolutely. There's also the possibility that a game sells much better than expected and makes more profit than predicted, which then bankrolls goodwill thank-yous to its loyal customer base.

nikos

The more I think about this game, the more hyped I get. The car list is looking great so far. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with every Forza after Forza 2. I bought them all and enjoyed them for a bit, but didn't really get into them as much as Forza 2 or other racing games.

That being said, my disappointment with Project CARS has me wanting to buy an Xbone again, along with Forza 6, to scratch the sim itch. As a bonus, I can also pick up Horizon 2 and future Xbone exclusives. Think it's definitely time to jump back in. I really hope this one delivers.

Do you think the extent of the base car selection should have bearing on that criticism? In the sense of how much is offered before DLC/Expansions come into play. You called the offerings a "ripoff."
I use the word ripoff when I am being sold a car as DLC, a car that was created months or years before the base game was launched. If the content is actually new, I will happily pay for it.

Mascot

Shaping up nice i miss maple valley heres hoping would look lovely in rain

I'm hoping that a lot of the returning tracks have different art treatments. FM2's Silverstone had a wonderfully oppressive and moody pre-storm sky that gave it a really unique (and appropriately British) atmosphere, but in subsequent Forzas the trademark ubiquitous sunshine had returned. It'd be great seeing Maple Valley during spring, for example, with remnants of frost on the ground and the trees in blossom. Different seasons would really freshen the old tracks up.

willbsn13

Isn't it the other way around? All tracks will have day, some will also have night (and/or rain)?

Correct. I really wish they gave us more info on what each of the tracks announced so far can do in terms of night/rain other than just "most of them will have night and or rain". They could even do it with the weekly car reveals

ShamePain

Banned
After PCars, I'll be honest, I'm not really fussed about rain or night, for me, it doesn't really improve the experience.

The rain specifically is very poorly done in PCars as only you lose the grip and the AI swings by at full speed no matter the conditions.

danowat

Banned
The rain specifically is very poorly done in PCars as only you lose the grip and the AI swings by at full speed no matter the conditions.

I'd rather not get into this vs that etc.

The only thing I can see in FM6 that actually brings something new to the table is the 3D puddles (?!), as these actively change the course layout and driving lines in corners, it's something new and fresh and can add another challenge, do you alter your line to take the puddle into account, or do you plough through it and risk aquaplaning.

Other than that, rain is just, -10 Grip, to me, and that's just not really my idea of fun.

Likewise nighttime, headlights in games just don't cut it.

Azzawon

I hope they do something similar to FM5 by giving us free tracks after release. Wishful thinking I know.

As far as the last few circuits go, these are what I'd like to see: (and why I want more added after release)

Suzuka
Sonoma
Hockenheim
Fujimi Kaido
Monza
Monaco
COTA

Fox Mulder

After PCars, I'll be honest, I'm not really fussed about rain or night, for me, it doesn't really improve the experience.

Rain is a fun visual thing that gets in the way of seeing the track or even turns as you race behind spray from other cars. Night is also fun to transition into as it can also change your reference points.

I just think that stuff like night racing and rain are great additions when we'll be racing around these tracks countless times for the next few years.

I just wish the hardware was good enough for dynamic weather and night transitions instead of locked conditions the whole race. But most of Forzas career races will be 2-3 laps again, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I hope they do something similar to FM5 by giving us free tracks after release. Wishful thinking I know.
If I were Turn 10 I'd add one night/rain/sunset version of a track that is missing those conditions every month as free DLC. It doesn't cost them much more than processing power and MS's server capacity(fake edit: sorry, of course that is BS for rain with accurate puddle placement, but still true for night or different lighting conditions) and keeps casuals going back and find out about new DLC cars they might want to buy and keeps MP even more populated.

GHG

Rain is a fun visual thing that gets in the way of seeing the track or even turns as you race behind spray from other cars. Night is also fun to transition into as it can also change your reference points.

I just think that stuff like night racing and rain are great additions when we'll be racing around these tracks countless times for the next few years.

I just wish the hardware was good enough for dynamic weather and night transitions instead of locked conditions the whole race. But most of Forzas career races will be 2-3 laps again, so I guess it doesn't matter.

What? Is this confirmed?

Also I'm only seeing a handful of tracks that have night/rain settings? Is that correct?

shandy706

What? Is this confirmed?

Also I'm only seeing a handful of tracks that have night/rain settings? Is that correct?

No, the first question isn't confirmed.

As for the second question, the "list" is only filled out with what we have SEEN. It's not a list of all confirmed night/rain settings.

While not confirmed, previous iterations of the game would point to the fact that it's a fair bet.

That doesn't answer the guy's question though. We've seen "hints" at some longer races...will there be options for them? Will it just be a small # of side races? We don't know yet.

danowat

Banned
That doesn't answer the guy's question though. We've seen "hints" at some longer races...will there be options for them? Will it just be a small # of side races? We don't know yet.
No, you're right it doesn't.

I am sure I read somewhere that endurance races were coming back, but I'd wager that the meat and potatoes of the races will be all short 2-3 lap sprints.

Top Bottom