• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 E3 4K Trailer (XB1/PC)

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The footage of this game makes the late gen PS3 looking graphics of GT:S look even worse.

Sigh.

What is going on with Polyphony? Do they spend everything on replays and photo mode? Track count, car count and ingame graphics are what counts. Over the years I went from full GT to let's try Forza because there is no GT this year to GT no thank you. It's incredible how Turn 10 has become the biggest and best racing game developer and Polyphony fell from the top. I'd say even SMS and Codemasters lapped them.

Fox Mulder

What is going on with Polyphony? Do they spend everything on replays and photo mode? Track count, car count and ingame graphics are what counts. Over the years I went from full GT to let's try Forza because there is no GT this year to GT no thank you. It's incredible how Turn 10 has become the biggest and best racing game developer and Polyphony fell from the top. I'd say even SMS and Codemasters lapped them.

Sony lets them just do their own thing.

I grew up playing GT on ps1 and ps2, but they take their sweet time making games. I got the 360 in late 2006 and fell in love with Forza 2 when it came out. Then 3 and 4 built on that. Now we're at Forza 7 like clockwork and have an amazing Forza Horizon series between main releases.

GT just became irrelevant to me. The time PD takes to make them doesn't produce a huge quality gap between their rivals. Im sure it's still popular though.

Mobius 1

This is looking really solid. I still can't stomach Turn 10's presentation choices sometimes, but goodness isn't it a technical showcase. Pre-ordering a XBONEX now.

Sony lets them just do their own thing.

I grew up playing GT on ps1 and ps2, but they take their sweet time making games. I got the 360 in late 2006 and fell in love with Forza 2 when it came out. Then 3 and 4 built on that. Now we're at Forza 7 like clockwork and have an amazing Forza Horizon series between main releases.

GT just became irrelevant to me. The time PD takes to make them doesn't produce a huge quality gap between their rivals. Im sure it's still popular though.

I bought an import of GT1 after reading the Edge review. Modded my PS1 to play it. Even had to buy a new TV with RGB Scart input. That's how much I was into GT from the off.

A few years later I was even the editor of a racing game site for IGN that was primarily focussed on GT. I spent hundreds of hours on those first three games. I was very into Gran Turismo.

I don't think I've spent more than five hours on GT6. For me the franchise has lost its way. While GT4 was okay I remember reviewing it saying there are signs that the game is going the wrong way and its inability to sync with Sony hardware launches was an issue too.

Polyphony does amazing car models. Super replays. Great lighting. The best photo mode results. But the game? The game's not there. And given how long we spend looking at tracks rather than car models, the tracks are pretty poor.

This decline coincided with the rise of Turn 10. Dan's team doesn't get everything right. But they seem to mostly have their priorities right (points systems and qualifying aside - I'm not after a hardcore game but these should be in). One of Turn10's major triumphs that isn't talked about as much is how they've got a very convincing physics model that's still playable and fun through a controller. So many developers struggle with this - Project Cars (of which I'm a backer) has never managed this.

I wish we had a GT that was as strong as Forza. But Polyphony just seems in a world of its own - perhaps like a lot of Japanese game development these days. I'll be buying GT:S (I'm in the beta) but FM7 is the game I know I'll be putting many more hours into.

Well I don't blame PD since their playerbase spends more time posting gifs and photos from replays and photo mode rather than actually play the games.

Sweet child o mine those HDR videos are something else. Especially that home straight on the second vid. Thanks Blim. I should imagine the real deal is even better too.

Sweet child o mine those HDR videos are something else. Especially that home straight on the second vid. Thanks Blim. I should imagine the real deal is even better too.

Check out their Shadow of War 4K videos too. :)

For me this was the first time seeing a game in HDR. After I saw that I watched another video of FM7 from Gamersyde and the difference is clear. Colours are more vibrant, more vivid I guess.

Theorry

Some "new" 4k shots
2P84s9D.jpg

3Bpt86P.jpg

MOjiMEv.jpg

Theorry

Something that many folks may have skipped by is the in-game music. In Forza Motorsport it takes a much less prominent role than it does in the Horizon series, but it's still important and it still has a very central part to play in Forza 7.

And you'll no doubt be delighted to hear that your own music can feature in Forza 7 via OneDrive.

So, how does it actually feature in Forza 7? In the Forzavista garage, you've got speakers as part of the decor, for want of a better term, and these will play music while you're in this area of the game. So if you've hooked up your own cloud-based music, it'll blast through these.

It'll also be heard from the in-grandstand speakers on the circuits you're racing on, which is a really neat idea and kicks up the immersive experience a little. Rather than just hearing it as background music as you do in Forza Horizon 3, it sounds like you'll catch a little piece of it as you storm past the grandstands.

https://www.windowscentral.com/forza-motorsport-7-will-feature-onedrive-music-support

eso76

Yeah, I really liked that thing about the music (heard playing from the speakers along the track). It might even make music tolerable in a Forza game.

Wasn't Motorstorm supposed to do the same ? I'm sure I read as much before it released but never noticed it in the game then.

JlNX

I read somewhere that the rain on the track dries out over time and a dry line forms, anyone know if this is true and if so is it a canned effect?

Well the puddles fill over time so I assume they could do the reverse going by how in-depth DF said there weather and time of day controls were.

Azzawon

Any splitscreen support on PC? Any oval tracks in the game?

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it will have splitscreen on both platforms. Also, there should at least be Indy and Daytona in the game. Homestead was added as DLC for Forza 6 so with a bit of luck that circuit should carry over into Forza 7 too.

I wish this game uses SSR blending in with geometry mirroring. In cases where objects are not rendered in the doubled / mirrored side, you can have odd moments where the reflections do not line up.
ayeeezkurg.png

Azzawon

Hoping this is 4K 60fps on the Xbox One S as well.

4K on the One S would be impossible. As far as I'm aware, no official numbers have been revealed for Forza 7 on the XB1S but I wouldn't be surprised if the game was 1080p 60fps like Forza 5 and 6 both were.

Edit: beaten ��

Fox Mulder

4K on the One S would be impossible. As far as I'm aware, no official numbers have been revealed for Forza 7 on the XB1S but I wouldn't be surprised if the game was 1080p 60fps like Forza 5 and 6 both were.

Edit: beaten ��

I want to see it running on the plain xbone. I don't even have a 4k tv yet, so that'll be an expensive jump at once.

Noobcraft

I wish this game uses SSR blending in with geometry mirroring. In cases where objects are not rendered in the doubled / mirrored side, you can have odd moments where the reflections do not line up.
ayeeezkurg.png
Yeah SSR in FM is kind of the dream. Maybe the next Horizon will use SSR (+Tokyo!)

ayeeezkurg.png

Yep, I have to agree. It is a shame really.. it would look so much better with SSR.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How do I get early access by purchasing the physical Ultimate Edition? Do retailers simply ship it a few days earlier?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it will have splitscreen on both platforms. Also, there should at least be Indy and Daytona in the game. Homestead was added as DLC for Forza 6 so with a bit of luck that circuit should carry over into Forza 7 too.
I want all three of those, and the return of Motegi.

How do I get early access by purchasing the physical Ultimate Edition? Do retailers simply ship it a few days earlier?

Digital only.

Physical should be in stores early. Just as they did last year with their ultimate edition releases.

Also of note. Dynamic weather confirmed in the base X1S version!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/300357/

Q: Are there any other unique aspects of Xbox One X that you’re offering support and tools and things for developers to be able to utilize best?

A: Again, we didn’t want to split the user base. The more different they are, the more we go back to your early point about having to do specific work. In fact, an interesting thing is happening, people ask this question, “Is Xbox One X held back by the One S or vice-versa?” And in fact, the tweaks you make to your engine, every tool improvement that we make to development makes Xbox One S and Xbox One X development better. Every tweak you make to your engine to get a little bit more performance out of your engine makes your Xbox One S engine better.

So, no, in fact, actually the strategy is quite the opposite. The strategy is to grow our tools to make our development environment better to make our profiling tools better so that that work benefits both consoles. In fact, if you talk to Turn 10, they’ll say that the tweaks that they made on Xbox One X allowed them to get dynamic weather back into Xbox One S. So they are very much a strategy of making one great development environment and really just separating the devices by performance.

prag16

Banned
Hmm. This may not be the topic for this, but I tried to play Forza Apex over Steam in home streaming, and couldn't get the controller to be recognized.

Used the "trick" of adding notepad as a non-Steam game, then taking focus away from notepad to get to the desktop. This worked fine for Quantum Break but of course in that game I was using mouse/keyboard.

If I can't get controllers working for Forza 7 in this manner that would sour me on buying the game. :(

With dynamic weather? Probably 1080p, 30fps. The same as Forza Horizon.

They actually confirmed they can now do things on xbox one that they couldn't before thx to the things they've learned about their engine and improvements they've made. They definitely wouldn't ship a non 60fps forza motorsport game, but I think I know what you're saying. I still think it has weather at 1080p 60fps on the original xbox one.

JlNX

With dynamic weather? Probably 1080p, 30fps. The same as Forza Horizon.

There is no world in which turn 10 doesn't priorities frame rate over everything else, 60FPS will be the minimum for Motorsport. I think further back in the thread it was confirmed 1080p 60fps and would look better than Forza 6 due to them optimising for X and PC.

Gamezone

Gold Member
There is no world in which turn 10 doesn't priorities frame rate over everything else, 60FPS will be the minimum for Motorsport. I think further back in the thread it was confirmed 1080p 60fps and would look better than Forza 6 due to them optimising for X and PC.

You might be right. I just remembered that Forza 5 was 60fps, 1080p, but Horizon was downgraded to 30 fps. I guess it was because it was because of the weather/open world, and Forza 7 will have both better graphics and dynamic weather.

Dan said they will release a free update along with the Xbox One X. Anyone know what the update is?

Go from Forza 2 to 4 to see how T10 can optimise and get more out of the Xbox without sacrificing performance. 1080/60 seems doable on X1 but tbh I wouldn't have given a shit if the resolution was sacrifed, just leave the frame rate solid.

m23

You might be right. I just remembered that Forza 5 was 60fps, 1080p, but Horizon was downgraded to 30 fps. I guess it was because it was because of the weather/open world, and Forza 7 will have both better graphics and dynamic weather.

Dan said they will release a free update along with the Xbox One X. Anyone know what the update is?

Are you referring to Forza 7?
That's the Xbox One X update.

Also it will be 1080p 60fps on Xbox One S.

Go from Forza 2 to 4 to see how T10 can optimise and get more out of the Xbox without sacrificing performance. 1080/60 seems doable on X1 but tbh I wouldn't have given a shit if the resolution was sacrifed, just leave the frame rate solid.

The difference between forza 2 and forza 4 is like a whole generation leap, I loved forza 2 for what it was.

c0de

“Downgraded“? It was always an open world 30fps game. How is that downgraded? Hint: it shares the name and some tech from Forza but is conceptually a different game.

Gestault

The difference between forza 2 and forza 4 is like a whole generation leap, I loved forza 2 for what it was.

The regional divide (EU vs US vs JP/Pan-Asian) for career in 2 was excellent, and it played into the car collection for the achievements, too. That was one of my post-surgery recovery games. That whole 360 generation, Forza Motorsport made crazy-good strides.

JlNX

Well Horizon would have to have been over 30fps at one point to be downgraded, Motorsport has always been 60fps due to priorities and Horizon has always been 30fps. It's simply what target you want to hit, you could take one of the road rings in horizon and have all the same dynamic elements and features but at a reduced graphical bar (due to almost half the GPU run time) and cull it back to a linear track like that in motorsport and have it run at 60fps.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Are you referring to Forza 7?
That's the Xbox One X update.

Also it will be 1080p 60fps on Xbox One S.

I would assume so, but Dan told someone on Twitter that they didn't know if the update was necessary in order to achieve 4K on Xbox One X, so I thought it could be something else.

Just saw this. Awesome FM7 preview from cogconnected. http://cogconnected.com/preview/forza-motorsports-7-preview/

During my playtime, the AI was aggressive and had no qualms about cutting me off if I attempted to overtake them on the inside. Likewise, if I was too late on the break, I would go spinning into the dirt. Bottom line, I enjoyed the races I played and without question, I feel like this is the best Forza gameplay experience to date.

Of course, the most noticeable improvement to the game is the visuals. It’s a 4K stunner! Forza Motorsport 7 looks ridiculously good as the realism is unreal. Granted, I get I am watching (and playing) the game on the best 4K monitors around and on the world’s most powerful console (sorry, I had to throw that in) but the graphical fidelity and realism was remarkable. Everything from the cars to the tracks and the dynamic weather system, Forza 7 shines in 4K and High Dynamic Range. It was hard to play the game and not be distracted by the visuals. The Dubai course alone featured glorious vistas and scenery. Yet even the cars, right down to every little scratch mark featured glorious detail. From a tech perspective, this is without question the game you’ll want to show off to your friends went you fire up your Xbox One X in surround sound on your 4K TV.

Top Bottom