• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fragile (Wii) playable at C3xHobby next week

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
yeah, what's the word on Sky Crawlers? i know that's at the show too, or is there another thread with that stuff in it.

doomed1 said:
yeah, what's the word on Sky Crawlers? i know that's at the show too, or is there another thread with that stuff in it.
Well, there actually are some impressions on this game from the event...but because the ones I found weren't telling us much more infos besides basically stating that this game was awesome, I thought these weren't really worth posting...
By the way, for those who missed it, there are translated impressions from Dengeki from a previous event, here.
And frankly, impressions are always welcome, but what I really want right now is some gameplay footage. Hell, even some gameplay bits blended in a cinematic trailer will do. I just want to have an idea of how this game moves.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I just had a friend e-mail me on the cell phone gushing about this game :/

It was "awesome" and the lighting was quote "O_O", "looks beautiful in motion."

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sp0rsk said:

O_O x2

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Andrex said:

168eu6o.gif

So beautiful.

Ydahs

sp0rsk said:

Ask for MOAR!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
sp0rsk said:

You sure now how to make me excited for games. I loved this game from the first time I saw it, though. Really beautiful and the music is, as stated, excellent.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fantastical said:
You sure now how to make me excited for games. I loved this game from the first time I saw it, though. Really beautiful and the music is, as stated, excellent.

Love at first sight for me as well. It's awesome that it may actually be good though. <3

What I mean is that the atmosphere in the first screens captured me on such a level I would have bought the game regardless of its quality. That it's actually good is just icing I suppose. :lol

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
This has to be one of the best looking wii games I have seen. This game and Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is the 2 games that may make me get a wii.

Tenbatsu

Japan is again getting this game like what? This year? Dam their Wii releases kick serious ass....Wario, Fatal Frame 4, Captain Rainbow, Gradius Rebirth next week, Tenchu 4 in Oct, Fragile, Kizuna all this year. Freaking awesome 2008 lineup, I am jealous.

D-Pad

sp0rsk said:

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmm.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tenbatsu said:
Japan is again getting this game like what? This year? Dam their Wii releases kick serious ass....Wario, Fatal Frame 4, Captain Rainbow, Gradius Rebirth next week, Tenchu 4 in Oct, Fragile, Kizuna all this year. Freaking awesome 2008 lineup, I am jealous.

Plus Sky Crawlers in October, Rune Factory Frontier in November, and presumably Little King's Story is still hitting this year in Japan.

Pretty good lineup

ivysaur12

Banned
Man I hope Sky Crawlers gets localized, especially if it's as good as the impressions let on.

I'm so happy the Fragile impressions are good. I'm so pumped.

I hope all the awesome Wii games coming out in Japan this year all make it over within the next year. Wii would have a pretty kickass 09.

I suppose we can already cross off Captain Rainbow though- that game has about as much chance of being localized as that Capcom vs game D:

sprsk

tenritsu said:

The :/ refers to the fact I want to go play it badly and yet I cannot.

Apparently there were very very few people waiting in line, he's gonna give me some more in depth impressions later.

sprsk

Brian says:
so the demo was really short and sweet

sp0rsk says:
how short

Brian says:
it took place in the "Hotel Where Time Has Stopped" ruins

Brian says:
about 5-10 mins

Brian says:
closer to 5, because i was quick to pick it up

sp0rsk says:
wow damn that is short

Brian says:
the demo starts you outside the building. you guide the main character inside, explore for a bit, then face a boss

Brian says:
the game looks really nice, but because a lot of the "wow" depends on the lighting, the indoor locales obviously look a lot better than the outdoor ones, IMO

Brian says:
the camera is handled kind of like metroid prime 3

Brian says:
you have a light source which works as a reticle. you point that at things. unfortunately, though, the only way to turn around is to pan to the edge of the screen

sp0rsk says:
how was the music

sp0rsk says:
could you hear it

Brian says:
which was a bit clunky

Brian says:
couldn't hear the music

sp0rsk says:
damn

Brian says:
but the voice work was great (there wasn't a lot, very immersive so not much text)

Brian says:
i got the impression that there are a lot of ambient SFX going on

sp0rsk says:
not a lot of text, thats good.

Brian says:
the mission for the demo revolves around finding out where a mysterious voice is coming from

Brian says:
so i was like "but i don't hear a voice!" and the attendant was like, "yeah, it's too noisy in here"

Brian says:
they talk about sound design a lot on the blog, though, so i get the feeling it's a big factor

Brian says:
generally the visual design stuff was all handled very well, so i expect the same from the sound

Brian says:
what wasn't handled so well was the combat

sp0rsk says:
so how did you find it?

Brian says:
which was terrible

sp0rsk says:
really

sp0rsk says:
what was it like

Brian says:
yeah

Brian says:
A button attacks

Brian says:
and you basically mash it

Brian says:
that was the only move

sp0rsk says:
ah

Brian says:
and it doesn't lock onto enemies, so you whiff 80% of the time

sp0rsk says:
but was there a lot of combat? is it pretty combat heavy?

sp0rsk says:
ew

Brian says:
not much in the demo

sp0rsk says:
like around how many?

Brian says:
an encounter in one of the whole rooms and the boss for me, but there might be more to explore

sp0rsk says:
did it feel frustrating?

Brian says:
once i got the hang of it, it was easier

Brian says:
but i won't excuse it. the controls need a lot of work

sp0rsk says:
ic

Brian says:
there should be a butotn to turn around, too

sp0rsk says:
did you tell the attendant

sp0rsk says:
that

Brian says:
i asked her if there was a way to do a 180 and she said no, and i gave her a little sniffle

Brian says:
the exploration parts are fun

sp0rsk says:
what were they likke

Brian says:
the whole level is exploration, basically. you can collect items by holding down a button (i think it was B ) to zoom in the reticle on these shiny areas

Brian says:
sometimes the item will be a mystery item, and the only way to find out what it is is to take it back to these points along the map where you can also equip things, look at the automap, etc

sp0rsk says:
so is the freelook controlled by the wiimote

Brian says:
yeah

Brian says:
nunchuk is move, remote is move the flashlight

Brian says:
the attendant was saying that there are more items which increase your arsenal, and also "memories" which factor into the real gameplay but not the demo

Brian says:
i was intrigued and wished they'd worked that stuff in somehow

Brian says:
because the demo was essentially this awesome wide open level which they ferried you through without letting you do anything cool

sp0rsk says:
what are these memories

Brian says:
*ferry

Brian says:
not sure

Brian says:
considering what the game is about, they're probably just snippets left behind all the humans who are now gone?

Brian says:
maybe it has to do with that contest they held. i have no idea

Sorry for the formatting

bdouble

Interesting thanks Sporsk. I don't get it though. Seems like recently people forget the Wii is capable of traditional controls and its design are needed in a game. Like FF4 and this. They need to keep things that were standard before like lock on and quick 180 and then add in the unique control features like IR and motion. :/

Hope it gets tightened up a bit.

Arde5643

bdouble said:
Interesting thanks Sporsk. I don't get it though. Seems like recently people forget the Wii is capable of traditional controls and those are needed in a game. Like FF4 and this. They need to keep things that were standard before like lock on and quick 180 and then add in the unique control features like IR and motion. :/

Hope it gets tightened up a bit.
Instead of traditional controls, I'd rather they include a customizable dead zone for turning a la the FPS titles in Wii.

Basically, make turning speed and dead zone customizable so that everyone's happy.

I was playing Tomb Raider Anniversary where you can hold C to rotate the camera with the wiimote. As I was playing it, I really wished I can just rotate the camera without pressing the C button and had been able to customize the dead zone and turning speed.

I think games with third person views should incorporate the customizations of FPS Wii titles.

Humm, the controls seem to go with the general feel of the game from what I can see.

Never thought it to be combat heavy but it's still a RPG so I expect better items and levels to have more in the combat area.

Now. . .Namco. . . release a new trailer!

bdouble

Arde5643 said:
Instead of traditional controls, I'd rather they include a customizable dead zone for turning a la the FPS titles in Wii.

Basically, make turning speed and dead zone customizable so that everyone's happy.

I was playing Tomb Raider Anniversary where you can hold C to rotate the camera with the wiimote. As I was playing it, I really wished I can just rotate the camera without pressing the C button and had been able to customize the dead zone and turning speed.

I think games with third person views should incorporate the customizations of FPS Wii titles.

I don't know about that. Just because I don't think its going to be necessary to turn and look fast in this game. a 180 is just a common move you do and its nice to have. Its kinda like the limit the controls for gameplay design ala Resident Evil.

Don't you think it would look funny to watch Seto spin around in a circle really fast? In a FPS it makes sense but not here. Least with the 180 it improves the controls and adds functionality but it can be a canned animation that looks smooth.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
Hmmm... I'm not sure if I like the sound of those impressions to be honest.

Tri-Crescendo doesn't seem to have a very good handle on overall game design without Monolithsoft from the sounds of things!

Arde5643

bdouble said:
I don't know about that. Just because I don't think its going to be necessary to turn and look fast in this game. a 180 is just a common move you do and its nice to have. Its kinda like the limit the controls for gameplay design ala Resident Evil.

Don't you think it would look funny to watch Seto spin around in a circle really fast? In a FPS it makes sense but not here. Least with the 180 it improves the controls and adds functionality but it can be a canned animation that looks smooth.
High Voltage has an option where if the IR goes off screen, the camera would stop turning/moving.

Linkup

It's amazing how often they break controls on the wii. These teams most do all the QA themselves and then when it's to late find out they suck.

Haunted

sp0rsk said:

baka.gif

do want. :(

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
Tri-Crescendo doesn't seem to have a very good handle on overall game design without Monolithsoft from the sounds of things!

It's true :lol

But you'd think the Venus & Braves team would help out with that?

EDIT: Wait, after watching the video, I'm slightly confused. I sort of expected from the impressions for Seto to turn like a tank. But he doesn't. He seems really fast.

birdchili

not having a quick-turn doesn't bug me much if it isn't needed for the combat. dull combat is really too bad though...

general exploration, flashlight mechanic, and atmosphere still look sooo good.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The PV looks great, the impressions about combat do not. I hope they fix the controls and do something about the combat, the impressions make it sound like the combat was an afterthought.

ivysaur, it only looks that way because the pointer is the flashlight this time. If you really have to pan to the edge of the screen to turn and enemies respawn behind you then they really dropped the ball there, they should leave out standard combat if they can't implement it properly. I would have been fine with exploration/puzzles leading to boss battles. Hopefully we'll hear better things about the final product.

Top Bottom