• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France to 'ban all petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040'

I got to say it's very impressive that electric vehicle has completely taken away hybrid's spotlight in the span of 10ish years.

I am an electric fanboy myself. I got an electric skateboard, I am planning to get an electric bicycle. But I have to admit hybrid is more practical.

You'll charge your cars just like you charge your iPhones and stuff.

Hell actually personal cars might even be a thing of the past by then.

Madness

Also, he announced the end of coal-powered electricity production by 2022.

France also has a shit ton of energy generation from its nuclear power plants. One thing people forget is the massive protests and activism against nuclear energy in tbe US in the 1980's. By now, the US would have had far more electricity and power generation especially with the transition to electric if they built more power plants like they wanted. Instead they spent the next 3 decades getting more coal plants, hydroelectric, importation of oil and gas through pipelines etc.

It is still a step towards a less fossil fuel future for western europe though. Whatever happens, eventually we may see changes reflected in the latter half of the century.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Because it won't hurt.
It's about classics mostly.
Some People like to drive 50 years old cars
I doubt those will be banned, unlike the traffic is not on the roads anymore or already 100% autonom

The classic cars even now get exceptions from the rules, don't they?

sTiTcH AU

At the present, the average commute to work and back in any majorly populated area would probably use at least half or more of the battery*. So some serious R&D will need to go into battery technology as well as the power grids to charge millions of cars a day before this is even remotely possible.

*I am basing this on the figures for the Nissan Leaf on Wikipedia.

At the present, the average commute to work and back in any majorly populated area would probably use at least half or more of the battery*. So some serious R&D will need to go into battery technology as well as the power grids to charge millions of cars a day before this is even remotely possible.

*I am basing this on the figures for the Nissan Leaf on Wikipedia.

Battery tech is far ahead of what the Nissan Leaf provides in terms of distance.

The Leaf is a budget EV car, we already have EV's coming out with 220+ mile charge.

Again, there is a reason why the target is 2040 and not tomorrow.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Porsche Mission E is targeted to run 310 miles on a full charge. So the tech is evolving, the issue will be for the tech to be cheap enough.

Khaz

I got to say it's very impressive that electric vehicle has completely taken away hybrid's spotlight in the span of 10ish years.

I am an electric fanboy myself. I got an electric skateboard, I am planning to get an electric bicycle. But I have to admit hybrid is more practical.

He doesn't say anything about hybrids, sadly.

The incentives are to buy any new car, regardless of motorisation. The goal is to get rid of old, polluting cars made in the 80s and 90s that plenty of poor people still use because they can't afford a better one.

He talks about retiring all petrol and diesel vehicles, yet as an example cites Volvo which plans to shift its production to electrics and hybrids. He may be talking about retiring pure ICE vehicles only, who knows.

And his use of "vehicles" is mighty unclear. Is he talking about personal vehicles (cars, motorcycles) or anything that has wheels powered by an engine? Like coaches, lorries, farm and construction vehicles?

Seems silly to prohibit all sales of gas vehicles when then problem isn't that they exist, just that there is an excess of them in circulation.

sammex

How do I drive my petrol car from Spain to Germany? Do I have to tow it using an electric truck?

Ah trick question! In 2040 the EU will only grant a visa from the UK to take electric cars from the UK to Spain so you won't be able to get your gas guzzler over there in the first place.

I hope I die before then. Or live somewhere that I can walk everywhere.

To clarify I don't mean like buses or anything but more like public cars that you just take at one spot and leave at another spot like current car rental schemes.

At some point I think people just won't feel the need to own cars anymore.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
To clarify I don't mean like buses or anything but more like public cars that you just take at one spot and leave at another spot like current car rental schemes.

Cars will (hopefully) become glorified elevators.

Some of y'all have a really skewed view of the world, and the people in it.

Meanwhile...

chevy-suburban.jpg

bjork

There are a lot of people who tie their car ownership to their sense of independence, or they get a sense of pride about owning some specific car and driving it wherever. It'll be a hard sell to anyone like that.

For the record, I hate driving and I think owning a car is a pain in the ass, but until teleportation gets invented, it's a necessity where I am.

Coxy100

Banned
This is good. All those people moaning it's not quick enough....

You do realise they are ahead of the curve in announcing this right - not many other countries doing this?!

Besides not everyone can afford a new car - it needs time for this to happen.

Some of y'all have a really skewed view of the world, and the people in it.
And some people have a really narrow view of how things will change in the future.

Cars will basically go like this eventually:

Stage 1) Go electric
Stage 2) Go self-driving
Stage 3) Introduce self-driving taxis
Stage 4) offer subscription service so you can schedule a car to drive you around when you need it.
Stage 5) This becomes the standard way of using cars

Why spend thousands on a car when you can spend a fraction less and still get a private pod/car come pick you up and drive you where you want? By this point humans wont be allowed to drive anyway so what is your motivation for buying a car?

pswii60

So what about HGVs?

Battery technology will have to be completely and utterly revolutionised to carry an HGV any real distance.

Lynd7

Why not just ban sales by 2030 and then they will slowly just become the norm. I don't see why it should be illegal to own and drive a petrol car still.

Anyway, once driverless electric cars are the norm, it should be fairly cheap to just order a car to show up every morning for you. Owning a car may slowly die out over the rest of the century.

And some people have a really narrow view of how things will change in the future.

Cars will basically go like this eventually:

Stage 1) Go electric
Stage 2) Go self-driving
Stage 3) Introduce self-driving taxis
Stage 4) offer subscription service so you can schedule a car to drive you around when you need it.
Stage 5) This becomes the standard way of using cars

Why spend thousands on a car when you can spend a fraction less and still get a private pod/car come pick you up and drive you where you want? By this point humans wont be allowed to drive anyway so what is your motivation for buying a car?

Parking will still be a huge problem unless we give up ownership of cars and let them just drive around on demand instead of taking up space.

You live near a city, don't you.

Alx

I hope I die before then. Or live somewhere that I can walk everywhere.

Well I guess cities will need to evolve with society anyway... It's not like the "use your car to do everything" culture is that old, it's barely 50 years of our history.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You live near a city, don't you.

It's absolutely a much bigger problem in cities, yes. And since most people live in cities these sort of issues have received more focus.

You're right that not everybody will need to give up owning a car in the future, but the bigger our cities get it's likely the market for private cars will continue to shrink.

It's absolutely a much bigger problem in cities, yes. And since most people live in cities these sort of issues have received more focus.

You're right that not everybody will need to give up owning a car in the future
, but the bigger our cities get it's likely the market for private cars will continue to shrink.

That's more my point. Unless we invent the teleporter, the idea of private car ownership going the way of the dodo is folly.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
good news. the sooner we get rid of petrol/diesel vehicles the better.

i hope more countries/manufacturers back this. it's unbelievable what we are putting out into the earth. i myself have decided to get rid of my car and buy a bicycle.

until electric engines sound as good as my V8, I'm not in.

you care more about the sound your car makes than it spewing disgusting emissions into the air we breathe? alright then.

bionic77

Is it possible to make that many huge lithium batteries?

How far are we from liquid hydrogen instead? That seems to be a much better solution in the long term.

Alx

Is it possible to make that many huge lithium batteries?

How far are we from liquid hydrogen instead? That seems to be a much better solution in the long term.

Last I checked the main way to produce hydrogen was cracking hydrocarbons, so it doesn't really help with renewable energy.(another way would be electrolysis, but then we'd be back to needing electricity)

Top Bottom