• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Franchises destroyed/fatigued by countless sequels

anothertech

Halo should have been an amazing trilogy. Then they could have waited for the next gen for another trilogy.

Instead it was destroyed by 4 and bastardized by 5.

:(

Soodanim

- Tony Hawk: Perhaps the biggest and most recognizable skateboard franchise ever, was big during PSX/PS2 days, but later on, the franchise was milked so badly that lost interest year after year, to the point of Activision throw it into the vault. They tried to bring it back with recent efforts with THPS5 and THPS HD, but didn't manage to restore it's former popularity.

I think it's the lack of effort that caused the new ones to be terrible.

Celine

I completely disagree with Mario Party. Wasn't Mario Party 8 one of the highest selling Wii games? Oddly enough they stopped making a ton of them once they had their biggest hits. The games only started declining when they decided the original formula needed to be changed for some goddamn reason.
Second best selling game in the Mario Party franchise:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

Keep in mind that Wii Party games by Nd Cube (the developer in charge of the Mario Party series) so their efforts are shared with another franchise.
Also starting from GBA the series was also available on handhelds which mean even more games to develop.

Overall I'd say the Mario Party franchise isn't fatigued sales-wise, they still keep selling around 2 million units.

HYDE

Banned
... Dark Souls.
Yearly sequels there for a while. Thank god they took a break, I liked 3, but the formula was starting to wear thin for me. And I always put three playthroughs into those games so it was triply too much.

I think II was their main mistake, which was quite decisive among fans. III is awesome and a return to form, not to mention evolved with a bit of Bloodborne's speed.

Celine

It was... 10 years ago. Still, it had a huge sales drop from MP8 to MP9. MP8 sold 8.85 million vs. MP9's 3.11 million. MP:IT and MP10 sold only 1.14 million and 2.11 million respectively. A far cry from franchise's popularity apex.

Like I said, from 1998 to 2007. Afterwards, the series went downhill.
Not true that it went downhill.
Only two Mario Party games sold around 9 million units.
It's safely to say those two were exceptions.
Most of the other entries in the franchise sold between 1.5M and 2.5M.

Here Mario Party series sell-in data by Nintendo.
Look at the update date to know if it's complete or not (for example Mario Party Island Tour has obviously sold more since December 2014).

xCtpQIi.jpg

Bonus Wii Party series sell-in data by Nintendo (developed by the same team that manages the Mario Party series).

BLpcdsE.jpg

HALO. I adored HALO, it was my most beloved FPS. After Bungie it didn't feel like HALO to me anymore. Despite the great effort of 343 Industries, HALO 4 and 5 just don't feel the same.

Guitar Hero. Seriously. I loved GH but they just lost their mind at a certain point. They could've turned it into a paid service with time tokens or something. I'd pay a bit from time to time, instead I threw out my guitar and said goodbye to the series.

Halo
AC (Before the hiatus)
Any Metal Gear after MGS3. (I was fine if it was Kojima's last. Not because disliked it, but because I was satisfied.)
Tomb Raider pre-2013.

Not true that it went downhill.
Only two Mario Party games sold around 9 million units.
It's safely to say those two were exceptions.
Most of the other entries in the franchise sold between 1.5M and 2.5M.

Here Mario Party series sell-in data by Nintendo.
Look at the update date to know if it's complete or not (for example Mario Party Island Tour has obviously sold more since December 2014).

xCtpQIi.jpg

Bonus Wii Party series sell-in data by Nintendo (developed by the same developer of the Mario Party series).

BLpcdsE.jpg

As you can see on the numbers you provided, during N64 and GCN days, the series sold consistently, with very little difference from each other, sometimes a new instalment even managing to outsell it's predecessor, like MP7 did. After MP8 and MPDS, though, sales shrinked version after version, only exception being MP10 for Wii U. Check the facts:

- Mario Party 8 sold 8,8M, it fell to 3,1M on the same system.
- Mario Party 10 sold 2M, 1M less than Mario Party 9.
- Mario Party Island Tour sold 1,6M, a far cry from Mario Party DS's 9,3M.
- Mario Party Star Rush not even managed to sell 1M, another drop to it's predecessor.

The series has been under a process of diminishing returns on most recent titles, being Mario Party 10 an outlier, even though with minimal difference against Island Tour. Some are claiming it's sales varies according to the system's installed userbase but 3DS's lackluster sales from it's titles put this claim on check. If that was the case, 3DS's version should outsell N64, GCN and Wii U installments by quite a margin but it didn't. It's actually very awaring that it's struggling to even become a million seller on Nintendo's biggest userbase right now.

Auctopus

I don't really agree with the Tony Hawk's answer. Whilst very recent efforts have been pretty terrible, some of the best titles in that franchise were a way in to the series.

It's actually very awaring that it's struggling to even become a million seller on Nintendo's biggest userbase right now.

Not really. The 3DS is over six and a half years old. If Nintendo realeased a follow-up to A Link Between Worlds on 3DS tomorrow, it would be very unlikely to sell close to the numbers of its predecessor. Same with a new 2D or 3D Mario title.

Software sales slow down the longer a piece of hardware has been on the market, with few exceptions. The 3DS doesn't have close to 60 million+ active users right now.

Not really. The 3DS is over six and a half years old. If Nintendo realeased a follow-up to A Link Between Worlds on 3DS tomorrow, it would be very unlikely to sell close to the numbers of its predecessor. Same with a new 2D or 3D Mario title.

Software sales slow down the longer a piece of hardware has been on the market, with few exceptions. The 3DS doesn't have close to 60 million+ active users right now.

Pokémon Sun and Moon, released in the same year as Star Rush, is managing to sell the same as it's predecessor and probably already outsold it if Wikipedia's data is old. PS2, PS3 and OG Xbox also had a top seller being a sequel that outsold it's predecessor in it's late life. Hey, Xbox 360's top seller is a five years old game in it's hardware lifetime. This happened with Mario Party as well, as MP7 came out during GCN's late life and managed to outsell a predecessor. Sorry, but you're making a flawed rhetoric.

Pokemeon is currently one of those exceptions and even for that IP, this is not always the case. It's bigger right now than it's ever been, thanks in large part to Pokemon Go. I talked about this earlier, but Pokemon Black and White 2 sold just over half of Black and White's lifetime sales. Sun and Moon are the exception, not the rule. When you release a new entry in a franchise very late into the lifespan of a system (the 3DS was almost six years old when the latest Mario Party launched), you're selling to a userbase that isn't as active as they were during its peak years, Some franchises can get around this and sell similar (or even stronger) numbers but many cannot.

If Sun and Moon is an "exception", so are GTA: SA, GTA V, Halo 2 and Kinect Adventures, because they came out during their respective system's late life and still managed to become it's top sellers. We are talking about Sony and MS's most recent platforms if you exclude PS4/XBO.

Pokémon Sun and Moon, released in the same year as Star Rush, is managing to sell the same as it's predecessor and probably already outsold it if Wikipedia's data is old. PS2, PS3 and OG Xbox also had a top seller being a sequel that outsold it's predecessor in it's late life. Hey, Xbox 360's top seller is a five years old game. This happened with Mario Party as well, as MP7 came out during GCN's late life and managed to outsell a predecessor. Sorry, but you're making a flawed rethoric.

Nah.

Pokemeon is currently one of those exceptions and even for that IP, this is not always the case. It's bigger right now than it's ever been, thanks in large part to Pokemon Go. I talked about this earlier, but Pokemon Black and White 2 sold just over half of Black and White's lifetime sales. Sun and Moon are the exception, not the rule. When you release a new entry in a franchise very late into the lifespan of a system (the 3DS was almost six years old when the latest Mario Party launched), you're selling to a userbase that isn't as active as they were during its peak years, Some franchises can get around this and sell similar (or even stronger) numbers but many cannot.

Assassin's Creed definitely suffered from too many releases, whilst simultaneously not addressing the issues many had with the series. Thanks to GwG I have most of the entries in my collection, but am already struggling to finish Brotherhood, despite loving AC2.

Origin's locale has got my interest high again though, love Ancient Egypt, so will blast through the older titles and pick it up eventually.

Celine

As you can see on the numbers you provided, during N64 and GCN days, the series sold consistently, with very little difference from each other, sometimes a new instalment even managing to outsell it's predecessor, like MP7 did. After MP8 and MPDS, though, sales shrinked version after version, only exception being MP10 for Wii U. Check the facts:

- Mario Party 8 sold 8,8M, it fell to 3,1M on the same system.
- Mario Party 10 sold 2M, 1M less than Mario Party 9.
- Mario Party Island Tour sold 1,6M, a far cry from Mario Party DS's 9,3M.
- Mario Party Star Rush not even managed to sell 1M, another drop to it's predecessor.

The series has been under a process of diminishing returns on most recent titles, being Mario Party 10 an outlier, even though with minimal difference against Island Tour. Some are claiming it's sales varies according to the system's installed userbase but 3DS's lackluster sales from it's titles put this claim on check. If that was the case, 3DS's version should outsell N64, GCN and Wii U installments by quite a margin but it didn't. It's actually very awaring that it's struggling to even become a million seller on Nintendo's biggest userbase right now.
Thank you for not reading my post.
It's a waste of time when someone rebuttal doesn't consider the points you arise.

Is it likely for a new MP game to even reach half what MP8 and MP DS did?
History tell you that no, it's not very likely.
Why take them as sole example then?
Why not compare to the sales range most MP games sold?

Because you want to be right at all cost.

Oh and Mario Party Island Tour has surely shipped more than 1.66M which is the total until December 2014 (for instance through the Nintendo Select series).

Pokemeon is currently one of those exceptions and even for that IP, this is not always the case. It's bigger right now than it's ever been, thanks in large part to Pokemon Go.
PoKémon biggest period, sales-wise, was with the first two generations on Game Boy.

PoKémon biggest period, sales-wise, was with the first two generations on Game Boy.

The ๖ۜBronx;246038808 said:

I mean the IP in general (although this could probably be argued, so fair enough), not just the recent game. I'm sure there are some entries before Sun and Moon that have sold more copies.

Edit - Yup, the first two gens on Gameboy/Gameboy Color.

Mega Man showcases the clear pitfall of making annual sequels: the risk of making a bad game. I think the annual releases, paired with multimedia advertising in the form of a kid's anime and manga, were actually doing a good job of keeping interest in the series high, until a really bad game was released soon after some great ones. That killed the entire momentum of the franchise.

Quality control is important. If you are going to churn out sequels, you need to be able to guarantee that they all are of high quality.

Well, the franchise was able to absorb a few bad hits, but the real nail in the coffin was Star Force 2. Battle Network 4 was the height of series - and near the top of the franchise - sales but damn well took a blow to the games thereafter. 5 and 6 did a lot of work to try and recover things, and between 6 and Star Force 1, the series had somewhat stabilised at about 600k~ sales in Japan. There was room for recovery again.

Then Star Force 2 happened.

The original Star Force had enough traction to garner a 55 episode anime, even if each episode was less than 10 minutes long. Star Force 2 got canned at episode 21. There was no adaptation of Star Force 3. Star Force 2 caused a rapid decline of sales that killed the side of the franchise that was supposed to be the money maker, and keep the rest of it afloat. What was left in terms of upcoming projects were a shitty mobile game, a 'crossover' that turned out to be a remake with one added chapter, and several titles - however potentially promising - aimed at the hardcore, classic timeline fandom.

So not only is quality control a major factor, but it's especially so when you're leaning on one particular part of the series to be profitable enough to justify the rest.

ascreed comes to mind normally..
but i can honestly say that every successive game of asscreed has almost always been better (introduction of a new "mechanic", e.g. ship aspects) or at least equal to its predecessor :)

Steroyd

Silent Hill.

Not only were the sequels were poorly received critically but Konami release 3 silent Hill games in 1 month

Activision wishes they could boast that with Guitar Hero.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The ๖ۜBronx;246039024 said:
Countless games, even if not considered sequels, that saturated the brand and got tiring. I think that's fair to say.

No. Not really.

Even if you add the couple of mobile games (which barely anybody knew existed), and the enhanced versions, the number pales in comparison with the other titles in this thread.

I'm only talking from a personally point of view here. But it's gotta be Pokemon for me, since about Black/White, each entry has just made me less and less interested in the franchise, culminating in the release of Sun and Moon which I found to be one big bore.

Thank you for not reading my post.
It's a waste of time when someone rebuttal doesn't consider the points you arise.

Is it likely for a new MP game to even reach half what MP8 and MP DS did?
History tell you that no, it's not very likely.
Why take them as sole example then?
Why not compare to the sales range most MP games sold?

Because you want to be right at all cost.

Oh and Mario Party Island Tour has surely shipped more than 1.66M which is the total until December 2014 (for instance through the Nintendo Select series).

I did read your post and I did consider your points but I don't agree with you. You are making strawmen to hide the fact the series is under a process of diminishing returns since the Wii/DS as the latest installment from the series failed to sell 1M+, something unprecedented in it's sales life, but you're trying to justify that by claiming they are selling the same as always, when this is not true, as never on N64 or GCN a MP game failed to reach 1M, and neither had such a nosedive sales drop between versions as there was from MP8 to MP9.

Really, if disagreeing with you makes you upset then I suggest you to go anywhere else, because you are in the wrong place. This is a discussion board.

Betty

Banned
No. Not really.

Even if you add the couple of mobile games (which barely anybody knew existed), and the enhanced versions, the number pales in comparison with the other titles in this thread.

There's been a new halo every year since Wars, except for 2016, I'd say that's a lot.

The franchise is definitely fatigued anyway.

eXistor

Most yearly releases. No series needs a yearly mainline release. You need time to come up with new gameplay elements. You should never be content with a sequel that's just "more of the same". That reeks of extortion to me.

kc44135

Assassin's Creed, the thread. A once great franchise utterly ruined by endless milking and annualized sequels. It's now nothing more than a pathetic shadow of it's former self. To think I had hope that the hiatus would do it some good. Yet, here we are, with a new AC that looks every bit as bland, tired, uninspired, clunky, dated, and just fresh off an assembly line as every game before it. What an absolute shame.

Synth

There's been a new halo every year since Wars, except for 2016, I'd say that's a lot.

The franchise is definitely fatigued anyway.

It's a lot of you're looking at a Wikipedia list to say that there's a lot.

It's not a lot in the public mindspace for the IP (which would be what fatigues an IP), because games like Spartan Assault/Strike are no more relevant than Mass Effect Galaxy or side-scrolling Mirror's Edge mobile games. Halo has basically had 5 mainline entries plus ODST and Reach since 2002. Much like Dead Space had 3 and Dead Space Extraction, Ignition don't cause them to be viewed as a near annual franchise up until its death.

True Fire

Pokemon. It hasn't reached its saturation point yet, but I can see it coming from a mile away.

XY were the worst in the franchise.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were remakes that were worse than the fucking originals.

Sun and Moon had abhorrent game design, with half the campaign being the tutorial (think Final Fantasy XIII with even less exploration).

And this is coming from someone who thought Black and White 2 were the best games in the franchise.

tokkun

Dark Souls does not belong here imho. A trilogy of amazing games. It's normal to prefer one or another, but i'm happy they all exist.

Calling it a 'trilogy' may technically be true, but the reality was that it was a lot more saturated than that.

Demons Souls is the exact same formula. It's not like a slightly different name suddenly erases it from history. And although Bloodborne tweaked the combat a bit, it was not *that* much different from the other games.

Then you have the endless expansions.

Artorias of the Abyss
Crown of the Sunken King
Crown of the Old Iron King
Crown of the Ivory King
The Old Hunters
Ashes of Ariandel
The Ringed City

Not to mention the PC re-releases for the games that originally launched on console-only. There has basically been some sort of Soulsborne release every few months for a long time.

And I would further add that the fatigue was made worse by the large number of imitators that also came out during this time.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
After how bad Dark Souls 3 was, that series now gets my vote.

They lost their way.

Marow

I still always wondered if part of F-Zero's demise is releasing GX, GP Legend and Climax all within a year of each other (2003-2004). AX, the arcade game, also released this time. Before that, there was Maximum Velocity in 2001 and X in 1998. The GBA trilogy were also really similar, and I believe the two latter was based on an anime that somehow got made during this time.

espher

Rock Band dug its own grave with the yearly releases, spinoffs and just overall missmanagenent.

Other people have touched on this, and let me be clear in saying that I'm not saying Harmonix didn't make their own mistakes (RB4, as much as I was happy to have it, was a mess at launch) but there's a world of difference between Rock Band's release schedule and Guitar Hero's release schedule.

Guitar Hero (excluding weird one-ofs like Carabiner, Arcade, etc.)
2005 - Guitar Hero
2006 - Guitar Hero II
2007 - Guitar Hero II (Xbox 360, no DLC carries forward))
2007 - Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s - The last HMX-developed GH game.
2007 - Guitar Hero III (no DLC carries forward)
2007 - Guitar Hero III Mobile (Mobile spin-off)
2008 - Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (no DLC/export)
2008 - Guitar Hero World Tour
2008 - Guitar Hero: On Tour (DS spin-off)
2008 - Guitar Hero On Your: Decades (DS spin-off)
2008 - Guitar Hero III Backstage Pass (Mobile spin-off)
2008 - Guitar Hero World Tour Mobile (Mobile spin-off)
2009 - Guitar Hero: Metallica
2009 - Guitar Hero 5
2009 - Guitar Hero Smash Hits (full-priced 'greatest hits'-style release)
2009 - Band Hero (full priced 'spin-off')
2009 - Band Hero (DS)
2009 - Guitar Hero: Van Halen
2009 - Guitar Hero 5 Mobile (Mobile spin-off)
2009 - DJ Hero
2010 - Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
2010 - DJ Hero II
2015 - Guitar Hero Live (complete reboot, no compatibility w/ previous instruments or content)

Rock Band
2007 - Rock Band (export to RB2+)
2008 - Rock Band 2 (export to RB3+)
2008 - Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 1 (DLC compilation, exportable but can be played standalone)
2008 - AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack (exportable but can be played standalone)
2008 - Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 2 (DLC compilation, exportable but can be played standalone)
2009 - Rock Band Track Pack: Classic Rock (DLC compilation, exportable but can be played standalone)
2009 - Rock Band Country Track Pack (DLC compilation, exportable but can be played standalone)
2009 - The Beatles: Rock Band (standalone)
2009 - Rock Band Metal Track Pack (DLC compilation, exportable but can be played standalone)
2009 - Lego: Rock Band (export to RB1+)
2009 - Rock Band Unplugged (PSP)
2009 - Rock Band (Mobile)
2010 - Green Day: Rock Band (standalone)
2010 - Rock Band 3
2011 - Rock Band Country Track Pack 2 (DLC compilation, exportable but can be played standalone)
2012 - Rock Band Blitz (spin-off)
2015 - Rock Band 4
2016 - Rock Band Rivals (RB4 "expansion")

The only way the situations are remotely close are if you include the track packs as releases, and they were lower-priced standalone games that served as discounted DLC export compilations as well (e.g. if Guitar Hero: Smash Hits had been like that, nobody would have complained about its price point or weird export limits/re-hashing of relatively recent songs). Even stuff like RB Blitz, Lego: Rock Band, and the AC/DC Live Track Pack were priced below 'standard' price, which was not the case for several of the GH band expansions or band packs. 2008-2009 was the 'peak' saturation point for these franchises, and GH saw seven 'main' releases while RB saw three (the latter being offset in the court of public opinion by the export/DLC library support).

It's also worth noting that the GH and RB DLC/export situations were completely different.

- Guitar Hero World Tour had export support for 38/86 songs, and 152/158 DLC songs were forwards compatible.
- Guitar Hero Smash Hits had export support for 21/48 songs, and did not play DLC.
- Band Hero had export support for 61/65 songs, and shares a DLC library and DLC support w/ Guitar Hero 5 (162 new songs, iirc?). Total DLC library is 314.
- Guitar Hero 5 had export support for 69/85 songs, and shares a DLC library and DLC support w/ Band Hero.
- Guitar Hero: Metallica had export support for 39/49 songs, and did not play DLC.
- Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock had support for all previous exports and the BH/GH5/GHWT DLC, and added 84 new DLC songs, for a total DLC library of 398.
- Guitar Hero: Van Halen did not export, and none of the GH2/3 DLC carried forwards.

- Rock Band had export support for 55/58 songs, and 207 DLC songs were released during its lifetime (it was compatible with all DLC released up to RB3, though, so it supported a total of 1,041 DLC songs).
- Rock Band 2 had export support for 81/84 songs (9 as free DLC for RB3), and 834 DLC songs were released during its lifetime (it was compatible with RB1, though, so it supported a total of 1,041 DLC songs). In addition, there were 1,021 songs released on the Rock Band Network, which all carried forward to Rock Band 3.
- Rock Band 3 had export support for 83/83 songs, and 653 DLC songs were released during its lifetime (though RB3 DLC was not backwards compatible, RB1/2 DLC carried forward, giving it a total of 1,694 DLC songs). In addition, there were 1,114 Rock Band Network 2.0 songs released, making the total RBN offering for RB3 2,135 songs.
- Lego: Rock Band had export for 45/45 songs and limited DLC compatibility for RB1/RB2 DLC (it was an explicit content filter, so it could play any RB DLC that wasn't rated Mature or unrated).
- Green Day: Rock Band had export support for 47/47 songs, and could play the six other Green Day songs released as DLC.
- The Beatles: Rock Band had zero export support for its 45 on-disc songs and had a separate DLC offering of 29 songs.
- Rock Band Blitz had export support for 25/25 songs (they were technically DLC), including two of the missing RB2 tracks that were re-licenced, and had full support for all RB1-RB3 DLC and exports as well as the RBN 1.0 and RBN 2.0 content.
- All of the track packs were DLC compilations (the last three had songs that were yet to be released, mind you) and while capable of being played standalone those songs could also be exported into users' DLC libraries (at no additional cost).
- Rock Band 4 has compatibility for all pre-RB4 DLC (the entitlements are still a WIP, of course...) and has seen the release of another 330 DLC songs (including several 'free' DLC songs for people that buy the expansion). It currently does not have (and likely will never have) support for Rock Band Network songs.

Top Bottom