• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French Comedian Dieudonne Arrested Over Facebook Post On Charlie Hebdo Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

okdakor

I have seen and owned plenty of shows of Dieudonné (up to "Mahmoud") so I guess I could be considered a fan and I can tell you the gesture is in no ways an anti-jew salute.

Explain that to his other fans...

CYUC5d7.jpg

It's a sign to kinda say ''Get bent'' or ''to throw a little booger in your direction'' as he said it one time.

Part of these photos are taken as a message due to the ''glorification'', as some of those guys have said, of the holocaust as the only real drama in human history. Even then, it's clear provocation on their part, and I don't really approve of it, but they can do it. Freedom of speech and all.

I really, really like Dieudonné but his fight started out of persecution and he had a clear message. It's been getting muddier and muddier over the years. I understand his frustration and where all that anger comes from and that tendency he has to poke people where reactions are sure to come.

I understand his battle, and it's one he can't really win sadly, but he has convictions he follows and to vilify him as a guy who just hates jews is not giving him credit for his past work, his talent and the original reasons for doing that.

It's kinda heartbreaking a bit when you see the history on how he came to be this person that everyone hates. Someone so talented and passionate being devoured alive by the whole situation he fell in. It's a vicious cycle.

quickwhips

this ass hat has a history of hate speech,
he started a downward seig-heil thing a while back,

and hate speech laws are in place in France.

he deserves to be arrested

a policewoman lost her life in service while that Dieudonné fucktard sides with the terrorist criminal who took away her life

Doesn't mean he should be arrested. He is a moron though.

cripterion

So fucking what? One person should be reponsible of all the stupid bullshit that happens in the world? Who invented the middlefinger? What if someone did the same thing giving the middlefinger there? Who should be held responsible?

Anyways, what I'm saying is not all his fans are anti-semitic and not all people doing this sign (most?) don't do it or see it as an anti-semitic gesture.

okdakor

It's kinda heartbreaking a bit when you see the history on how he came to be this person that everyone hates. Someone so talented and passionate being devoured alive by the whole situation he fell in. It's a vicious cycle.

I agree, and I know the original message of his gesture, but part of his fans are just taking the anti-jew part of his shows to the next level and they use the gesture as an inversed "sieg heils". He was very funny, I just wish that when he saw these kind of pics well... he just said to his audience something like "you're doing it wrong dumbasses".

neorej

ERMYGERD!
So fucking what? One person should be reponsible of all the stupid bullshit that happens in the world? Who invented the middlefinger? What if someone did the same thing giving the middlefinger there? Who should be held responsible?

Anyways, what I'm saying is not all his fans are anti-semitic and not all people doing this sign (most?) don't do it or see it as an anti-semitic gesture.

Well, tattoo a swastika to your forehead and tell me how understanding your friends and family are to your new found love for hinduism.

I have a military salute that means that I don't care about Palestine and think that all of them can go to hell for whining so much and playing the victim. It's very funny political comedy not meant to be hateful.

I bet he's kicking himself for not going further and putting the sentiment into a cartoon to really play up the perceived double standard angle.

He does seem to con=me across as the French equivalent of Anjem Choudary. Not sure if that's an accurate comparison though. Someone who is unnecessarily inflammatory and always looking to cause some huge outcry for the attention.

Raist

Banned
It's really hard to give Dieudonné the benefit of the doubt when he's done things like inviting on stage a famous holocaust denier, or picked Jean-Marie Le Pen as his daughter's godfather, while if you're going a few years back, he was a fervent supporter of the fight against racism, heavily criticize the FN, back in the days when he was part of a humorist duo with Elie Semoun (who's jewish).

cripterion

Well, tattoo a swastika to your forehead and tell me how understanding your friends and family are to your new found love for hinduism.

What does that have to do with la "quenelle"?

Here :

I have a military salute that means that I don't care about Palestine and think that all of them can go to hell for whining so much and playing the victim. It's very funny political comedy not meant to be hateful.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

What stupid bullshit can we poke fun at with military salutes. I think that homeless people are stupid. Why don't they just clean up and get a job. There are plenty of people who have to deal with much worse than them. When I see them asking for money I do a nazi salute in their face and laugh at them. It's very funny we all laugh yes/no?

What stupid bullshit can we poke fun at with military salutes. I think that homeless people are stupid. Why don't they just clean up and get a job. There are plenty of people who have to deal with much worse than them. When I see them asking for money I do a nazi salute in their face and laugh at them. It's very funny we all laugh yes/no?

WTF?

Dude, you're pushing those sarcasm buttons way too hard.

Mimosa97

Perhaps they're taking his entire history of hateful speech into account, and will suggest to the court that this latest is not only hate speech but a tacit endorsement of terrorism and murder, and an attempt to incite further violence.

How can you deduce so many things from the sentence " Today i feel like I am Charlie Coulibaly " ? He didn't even use the terrorist's full name. How can you prove in court that this sentence means he's inciting further violence, endorsing terrorism and murder ? What the hell ?

Knowing Dieudonné i know why he said it and why he carefully chose such words and yes it's a nasty business. I've lost every bit of sympathy i had for him a very long time ago. But this isn't Soviet Russia, you can't say " I can read Dieudonné's thoughts and i can tell you that what lies behind this sentence is xxx .... ". There is no " thought " crime.

What you're saying is very scary. Tomorrow your own government can convict you for preparing an act of terror against your own country for saying " Today i feel like I am Guy Fawkes ", when in fact you were just watching " V for Vendetta " and felt like making a revolution in your bedroom. People are being too emotional about this. The fact that Dieudonné became an antisemitic piece of shit doesn't mean we have to bend the law to put him in jail. This isn't how a not-so-broken justice system works.

The quenelle means you put your arm in the ass of "the system".
When Dieudonné talks about "the system", he emphasizes that it is ruled by jewish people. For him, "the system" is "the jews".

The quenelle was not antisemite at the begining. It was not antisemite when Coluche made it back in the days. It was a "fuck off" to the politicians, the intelligentzia.

The guy just hates jews, that's it. I don't know why, he has been working for several years with Elie Semoun. Now, he just can't stand the jewish people.

About his last show "le mur", which was forbidden by autorities (which was a stupid move IMO), the bad jokes about jews are everywhere. All the time. It becomes gloomy. He uses characters not to say things directly, but there are jokes about jews ALL THE TIME :

-they have money
-they control politicians
-they are racist
-they are deceitful

and so on.

Sometimes he says things that are not stupid at all. Some are very funny. But his agenda is so clear that the show becomes gloomy and sticky.

The "coulibaly" post was a mistake he himself realized he had made. He deleted it.

And this moron just put the shame on the quenelle, which is a regional recipe from where I come (LYON in France). Now when you say you like quenelle, people have a weird look.

How can one sentence " Today i feel like I am Charlie Coulibaly ". He didn't even use the terrorist's full name. How can you prove in court that this sentence means he's inciting further violence, endorsing terrorism and murder ? What the hell ?

Knowing Dieudonné i know why he said and yes it's nasty. But this isn't Soviet Russia, you can't say " I can read Dieudonné's thoughts and i can tell you that what lies behind this sentence is xxx .... ". There is no " thought " crim.

What you're saying is very scary. Tomorrow your own government can convict you for preparing an act of terror against your own country for saying " Today i feel like I am Guy Fawkes ". People are being too emotional about this. The fact that Dieudonné became an antisemtic piece of shit doesn't mean we have to bend the law to put him in jail. This isn't how a not-so-broken justice system works.

This, so much.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't care if there's enough wriggle room in the law to class his post as hate speech or supporting terrorism or whatever, it smells rotten and smacks of double standards.
Absolutely not. The same standard applies to both as both Charlie (for its cartoons) and Dieudonne (for his "charlie Coulibaly" thing) end up facing Justice. Charlie won its case. Dieudonne, we don't know yet. Same standard.

cripterion

Dude maybe you're just dense but I ask you once again, what has this got to do with "la quenelle"? Are you offended when a rapper gives the middlefinger in a music video? Gimme a break.

Stet

Banned
I'm not sure how you can argue for a gesture meant to "stick it to the establishment" when the person who originated the gesture literally believes that the establishment is broken because it's run by Jews.

womfalcs3

Banned
The French and all those "leaders" that marched are hypocrites. It's easy to defend freedom of speech when it's aligned with your prejudices and convictions. What's difficult is defending it when it attacks your beliefs.

He didn't threaten anyone. As a muslim, I respect the right of people to mock and insult my religion. I'm more of a defender of freedom than the French hypocrites.

It's like the ridiculously-titled " war on terror". It's only a PR slogan used against terrorists who happen to be Muslim. But if it's Israel terrorizing Palestinian children, the US actually funds it.

To the Muslim and Arab leaders who went to the march... Will you hold a march against the atrocities happening by Muslims to Muslims??? Where's the march against Syrian genocide? Where's the march against ISIS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom