• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French Comedian Dieudonne Arrested Over Facebook Post On Charlie Hebdo Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaz

I've already explained that the gesture he invented was in no way a nazi salute. You can easily find my other posts in this thread.

He may have not invented it with that meaning, but when his fans started using it as a gesture against jews he never even tried to dismiss them or that other meaning. It is now used as an anti-jew salute and he is contempt with that, regardless of what the gesture originally meant.

I found it far less interesting since it's a pretty grand false equivalence. Condoning violent murder would understandably elicit a stronger reaction from people.
It is actually more interesting now, because people are scrambling to provide context for this dude's arrest within the subtext of the Immaculate Free Speech, whereas few hours ago people who got offended were told to deal with it.

Mimosa97

He may have not invented it with that meaning, but when his fans started using it as a gesture against jews he never even tried to dismiss them or that other meaning. It is now used as an anti-jew salute and he is contempt with that, regardless of what the gesture originally meant.

By a minority.

I explained in my first post that it was indeed used as an antisemitic salute by some of his fans. For example the ones who took pictures of themselves in Auschwitz.

If you look at the vast majority of the pictures by people doing the Quenelle, it has nothing to do with jews or anything related to jews. Some of them do it during weddings, some of them on holidays etc... etc.. It's a very vulgar gesture, like giving the finger, what's around you and/or what you're pointing at while doing it is what makes it an antisemitic gesture or not.

Arksy

France is not the USA. No idea why people are bringing up the free speech debate under the guise of American Constitutional Law.. France sure as heck has hate speech laws.

I don't agree with them personally. But it's strange holding another country to another's Constitution.

No, France is not the Anglo-American world. Hell, there's barely a country that comes close with regard to traditional freedoms. Australia, New Zealand and Canada all have pretty strong protections on speech, and while none are quite as strong as the United States would sure as fuck see that no one was arrested for a thought crime. Considering this is an English speaking board, it's not at all weird that a lot of people would be from backgrounds which hold free speech as the high precept of democratic progress.

"I am Charlie Coulibaly" = "I side with Charlie... and with the guy who killed 4 Jews"

The intention is pretty clear. Again, arresting him is still a mistake.

It's actually translated I AM CHARLIE COULIBALY and also your thing's out of context but don't let me stop you.

Just easier to say he's a maniac without a shred of humanity, off with his head, etc.

ICKE

Banned
France is not the USA. No idea why people are bringing up the free speech debate under the guise of American Constitutional Law.. France sure as heck has hate speech laws.

I don't agree with them personally. But it's strange holding another country to another's Constitution.

There are also other differences that can probably explain some of these attitudes. Americans tend to be more distrustful of their own government and are generally speaking less willing to accept any constitutional restrictions. Enacting any common sense legislation related to gun control is extremely difficult and this same dynamic applies to other amendments.

The difference is the justice system in France is not completely broken and there is generally speaking more transparency and accountability in governance. Thus citizens are also more willing to accept statutes that are open to subjective interpretation. As long as these hate speech laws are applied properly and without too much confusion, I believe they have a good purpose. It is important to safeguard people from excessive incendiary rhetoric, because we all know what the worst case scenario can be. But if they are used just to make political statements, a show of force to citizenry or what have you, then we need to re-evaluate our approach. It is a fine line at times, this has been an ongoing discussion in many European countries, but some lunatic promoting that every person of XYZ faith/ethnicity/sexual orientation should be killed or discriminated is not important to the democratic process whatsoever and should be excluded from public discussion with fines if need be.

He was arrested for that? Then what was the march about?

Was he arrested for this one statement or was he (with all these other individuals) under supervision for a longer time and the officials decided to reign everyone in now?

Kurdel

Banned
So a lot of people in here are arguing that Charlie hebdo is hate speech?

I think satirical newspapers content and individuals publicly announcing support for terorrists are two different issues, and should be treated seperately.

As much as I think Dieudonne is an hateful antisemitic idiot, I unequivocally stand behind his right to state his opinion.

You can't have it both ways. I denounce anti-jewish speech or pro-terrorism speech but people have the right to express their views until they act. That's when things become criminal.

Its a damn facebook post

IceCold

Everything should be allowed except for verbal threats and possibly defamation. I always found it interesting how in many Europeans countries they have laws protecting the Jewish diaspora (can't publicly deny the Holocaust for example).

rambis

Banned

Eh free speech is an universal human right. It has nothing to do with america or its constitution. Due to the recent tragedies in france where free speech was being attacked there has been a huge uprising to protect free speech. Its ironic to now realize that there is no free speech in France, and that they actually have laws in place to restrict speech. So yes, people are taking French law and provisions to task due to these grossly hypocritical double standard.

Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

Do you understand now? Its not about America.

M_Id_271750_jean_dujardin.jpg

Could be

Only french actor I know is Gerard Depardieu.

Edit: Oh and Jean Reno of course

Joni

Eh free speech is an universal human right. It has nothing to do with america or its constitution. Due to the recent tragedies in france where free speech was being attacked there has been a huge uprising to protect free speech. Its ironic to now realize that there is no free speech in France, and that they actually have laws in place to restrict speech. So yes, people are taking French law and provisions to task due to these grossly hypocritical double standard.
France has certain restrictions on free speech, hate speech being one of them. The UN who is responsible for the declaration you're quoting, has already long stated free speech where hate speech and incitement of violence begins. Siding with the guy that killed four Jews for being Jews and has a long history of anti-semitism shows the intent of the message: hate speech.

Arksy

France has certain restrictions on free speech, hate speech being one of them. The UN who is responsible for the declaration you're quoting, has already long stated free speech where hate speech and incitement of violence begins. Siding with the guy that killed four Jews for being Jews and has a long history of anti-semitism shows the intent of the message: hate speech.

France has so many restrictions on speech that it could hardly be considered free. He's not charged with inciting hatred, he was charged with sympathising with terror. Which is basically a thought crime.

It's actually translated I AM CHARLIE COULIBALY and also your thing's out of context but don't let me stop you.

Just easier to say he's a maniac without a shred of humanity, off with his head, etc.

Don't really need your permission to understand what he actually meant. I have explained the context in earlier posts. But don't let your lack of knowledge thereof stop you from making off target comments, free speech and all.

SystemBug

What if he was trolling? What if he did this because he knew this would happen? Heck we don't know if he was actually supporting the terrorists

The guy made the equivalent of a dead baby joke. Those are banned now?

What if he was trolling? What if he did this because he knew this would happen? Heck we don't know if he was actually supporting the terrorists

At best he should have got his account suspended. That's it.
So we can make fun of Muslims and get called progressive but don't touch our precious Jews.

Arksy

Dieudonne is an anti-semitic douchebag, his history tells us that much. The point is whether he should be jailed for being an ass.

Joni

It is easy to claim trolling, but he has his history. He also has a trial where he can defend himself due to the presumption of innocence.

Alx

Dieudonne is an anti-semitic douchebag, his history tells us that much. The point is whether he should be jailed for being an ass.

He hasn't been jailed (yet?). Even if promotion of terrorism can get you there, he probably won't. Right now he's in detention. As a matter of fact he's probably already out, or will be within a few hours.

But here's my question. Can we make jokes making fun of Jew-ish things without being called anti-semite? Or is there a restriction on making jokes based on that particular community?

I read he has a history of being anti-jewish but that doesn't mean he supports terrorism.

If a guy like Mel Gibson didn't get jailed why should this comedian? Besides the former having more influence.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The guy made the equivalent of a dead baby joke. Those are banned now?

At best he should have got his account suspended. That's it.
So we can make fun of Muslims and get called progressive but don't touch our precious Jews.
People in France have been convicted of hate speech against Muslims and Arabs, but please, don't let things like facts get in the way of your point.

Arksy

He hasn't been jailed (yet?). Even if promotion of terrorism can get you there, he probably won't. Right now he's in detention. As a matter of fact he's probably already out, or will be within a few hours.

Right, I meant it in more of an abstract; "Should the state be able to imprison people for their political opinions?" The fact that he's been arrested is ghastly enough, the fact that a time of penal servitude is even possible is so alien to us in the Common Law world that it beggars belief. Let alone the fact that people have said that they gave some drunk and mentally ill guy 6 months in prison for the same thing.

SystemBug

Guy who has history of anti-semitism supports acts of violence against Jews. That sounds like something worth investigating as inciting violence, no?

Mel Gibson didn't live in France.
The Charlie Hebdo attack was an attack on Jews? Or are you talking about the one on the supermarket.

He is trolling in the sense that he's perfectly aware of what he is doing, of the reaction it will create and how it means he will be able to cash in on it. And no doubt he support and encourages the hate of Jews. He chose to name Coulibaly (the murderer of the Jewish supermarket) and not the Kouachi brothers (the murderers of Charlie Hebdo's staff) for a very transparent reason.

SystemBug

He is trolling in the sense that he's perfectly aware of what he is doing, of the reaction it will create and that it is a mean for him on cashing in. And no doubt he support and encourages the hate of Jews. He chose to name Coulibaly (the murderer of the Jewish supermarket) and not the Kouachi brothers (the murderers of Charlie Hebdo's staff) for a very clear reason.
Ah I see

Arksy

He is trolling in the sense that he's perfectly aware of what he is doing, of the reaction it will create and how it means he will be able to cash in on it. And no doubt he support and encourages the hate of Jews. He chose to name Coulibaly (the murderer of the Jewish supermarket) and not the Kouachi brothers (the murderers of Charlie Hebdo's staff) for a very transparent reason.

The thing that gets me is that he said he was Charlie Coulibaly, the shooters name was Amedy Coulibaly. To me it seems like it was a way of saying he was torn between both sides. At least unless there was something I didn't read properly.

People in France have been convicted of hate speech against Muslims and Arabs, but please, don't let things like facts get in the way of your point.

That's good then. But again, how do we define a line where one side is hate speech and the other is satire? Not defending the comedian, since the Facebook post is the cherry on top of a hate cake apparently

Guy who has history of anti-semitism supports acts of violence against Jews. That sounds like something worth investigating as inciting violence, no?

Mel Gibson didn't live in France.

Bad comparison, I know. Was under the impression that anti-hate laws in the west would be similar enough.

The thing that gets me is that he said he was Charlie Coulibaly, the shooters name was Amedy Coulibaly. To me it seems like it was a way of saying he was torn between both sides. At least unless there was something I didn't read properly.

Honestly it's just a name. If this was anybody else, I doubt it would have caused a reaction like this. Then again...

Almighty

Well seems like hypocrisy to me. Sure the guy is probably a vile piece of shit, but as an American it seems weird to celebrate free speech on one hand while on the other criminalizing speech you don't like.

Joni

He is referencing Charlie so he can claim free speech. He is allowed to shock because it is like Charlie Hebdo, only you know actually racist.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
That's good then. But again, how do we define a line where one side is hate speech and the other is satire? Not defending the comedian, since the Facebook post is the cherry on top of a hate cake apparently

Well, the UN has a very good definition of the fine line between hate speech and normal speech. It's a court's duty to decide whether that line has been crossed, from regular court up to the European Court.

It's notable because of all the RA RA FREE SPEECH stuff that's been going on in France lately. It's pretty weird (or maybe not) to see them hauling people to court over speech laws not two weeks later.

Perfect. Said what I was thinking perfectly.
Steals this comment and puts it on Facebook

You're going to be hearing a call from my e-lawyers tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom