• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fresh from George Broussard's twitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinGT

Banned
StuBurns said:
Exactly, that shit is going open source once id Tech 6 is 1.0.

Then, of course, they'll have to change engines.

I'm more interested in the tell-all book. Hell, I'll pay more than $60 for that fine piece of entertainment.

No offence to anyone in particular, but you would be insane to get hyped about this. The biggest joke in the history of the gaming industry teasing the completion of the biggest piece of vaporware in the history of software which is rumoured to have been completed by a B-grade studio that has only ever made one decent product which was a Half-Life expansion.

Yay?

GavinGT

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
No offence to anyone in particular, but you would be insane to get hyped about this. The biggest joke in the history of the gaming industry teasing the completion of the biggest piece of vaporware in the history of software which is rumoured to have been completed by a B-grade studio that has only ever made one decent product which was a Half-Life expansion.

Yay?

Borderlands was pretty good.

jim-jam bongs said:

Yay?
So Borderlands isn't even decent?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
jim-jam bongs said:

Yay?
Brothers in Arms: HH was pretty good.

StuBurns

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
Why do people want this game anymore? Why? Curiosity?
Gearbox spoiled that, whatever ships, if anything ever does, if it's not by 3D Realms, it's kind of pointless as a historic piece because we won't know what is the DNF team and what is the people recruited to make it something that is retail ready.

Persona7

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Brothers in Arms: HH was pretty good.
That entire series is pretty good, BIA:HH had problems but I still found it immensely enjoyable. I hope they are working on another one...

Zeliard

DidntKnowJack said:

Because most FPS after the 90s have been completely devoid of anything resembling that rare quality known as "personality."

GavinGT

Banned
StuBurns said:
Gearbox spoiled that, whatever ships, if anything ever does, if it's not by 3D Realms, it's kind of pointless as a historic piece because we won't know what is the DNF team and what is the people recruited to make it something that is retail ready.

That's easy - whatever content we've seen in the videos that have been released, that's what 3DR made. Again and again with new engines every time.

speculawyer said:
I think he was refering to 3DRealms.

I don't think 3DR ever did a Half Life expansion.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jim-jam bongs said:

Yay?
Borderlands was great, Half-Life: Opposing Force was great, Halo PC had 16 player CTF on Blood Gulch... online which was fucking great, and their BIA series has been pretty damn good, especially the last one.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
speculawyer said:
I think he was refering to 3DRealms.

I think Broussard is just trolling us.
Oh, I see. Yeah, I think 3DRealms is just a front for George Broussard's early retirement.

wormstrangler said:
Why don't you want it? Duke is ingrained with gamers from the 80's, 90's. We like kicking arse.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it should never be released in any form or anything like that. I just never quite understood people's fascination with this particular title.

Mr.Green

vpc6kl.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I believe in you Duke.

ArjanN

DidntKnowJack said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it should never be released in any form or anything like that. I just never quite understood people's fascination with this particular title.

The fact that Duke Nukem 3D is one of the best FPS games ever probably has something to do with it.

StuBurns

Banned
ArjanN said:
The fact that Duke Nukem 3D is one of the best FPS games ever probably has something to do with it.
Well, be that the case or not, clearly the staff were not competent to make it's sequel, and Gearbox are certainly not going to produce one of the best FPSs of all time. So regardless of DN3D, why do you care about DNF?

No I was definitely referring to Gearbox. Borderlands was visually bland despite the cel-shading, was a poor shooter and an even worse RPG. If the multiplayer hadn't been utterly broken on PC at launch it may have redeemed itself somewhat, but instead I got stuck with a horribly repetitive single-player game with no story and awful mechanics which dragged on and on. Yahtzee's comment about travelling between junkyards killing Jason Voorhees repeatedly was both funny and accurate.

Aside from BIA (which I'll grudgingly admit was a decent but flawed series) the bulk of their work has been ports, which to me puts them squarely in the B-grade category. All of this is opinion obviously, and I won't shit up this thread any further by trying to stand in the way of the hype-train. I think a lot of people will be disappointed but by all means, go nuts!

GavinGT

Banned
StuBurns said:
Well, be that the case or not, clearly the staff were not competent to make it's sequel, and Gearbox are certainly not going to produce one of the best FPSs of all time. So regardless of DN3D, why do you care about DNF?

We don't. Nobody outside of the now-dead 3DRealms boards has taken Broussard or DNF seriously in like 6 years.

DidntKnowJack said:
Curiosity. I mean you're not slightly curious to what 10+ years of ideas and art gets you? Not even for a rent? It's like when Guns and Roses finally release that album, everyone that was a fan had to check it out.

Meier

Color me excited. Some guy on that show Baggage tried to quote Duke when I saw an episode the other day. I got a big kick out of it.

Zeliard

DidntKnowJack said:

I just told you. The game had a goofy, infectious personality to it, from the character design to the weapons to the level design. Shooters these days very rarely have anything approaching the sort of comical personality that so many shooters in the 90s were imbued with, being either very self-serious or very insipid.

Whether or not this ends up good, or even happens, is irrelevant to the notion that we could use this sort of game these days.

I want to see a Rise of the Triad reboot. Dog mode, bitches. And, of course, the Excalibat.

Spoo

I KNEW IT.

Fuck yes. Thank you George -- I don't care that you've been a liar the past some 13 years, I will buy your fucking game and LOVE IT TO FUCKING DEATH.

ALWAYS BET ON DUKE :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GavinGT

Banned
Hey gaiyz, I heard they're moving onto the final stages of bug squashing and that development is 99% complete!!!!1!

Duke Nukem Forever looks gosh darn incredible in the 2001 trailer (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM)

The more recent stuff that has surfaced just looked dull. If it is the 2001 style, but complete, I would be giddy.

2001 game looks soooo good. It's like the world has gone to complete shit and you know you can save everyone because you're Duke. SAVE THE WORLD ALL BY YOURSELF.

Linkzg said:
Duke Nukem Forever looks gosh darn incredible in the 2001 trailer (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM)

The more recent stuff that has surfaced just looked dull. If it is the 2001 style, but complete, I would be giddy.

2001 game looks soooo good. It's like the world has gone to complete shit and you know you can save everyone because you're Duke. SAVE THE WORLD ALL BY YOURSELF.

I remember when that trailer finally got leaked and I couldn't believe it.

I thought for sure the game was vaporware at that point.

Now it's like 9 years later and we still have no game :lol :lol :lol

Sciz

StuBurns said:
Because DN3D fills the niche between DOOM and Serious Sam wonderfully and quite a lot of people would love another game like it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
DidntKnowJack said:
It's not even about the game, personally. I've never played anything in this series. I just think there is something missing in my life if DNF does not happen to be in perpetual development. It is the source of so much lulz.

Linkzg said:

That was definitely the height of the game actually looking like it was going to come out and be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom