• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fresh from George Broussard's twitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

.la1n

I am obligated to play DNF by my inner childs' wishes. Could be the crack but i'm pretty sure it's my inner child.

This can't all be a coincidence. First the Zero Punctuation DNF review was shown again as it won the viewer's choice award: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1968-Viewers-Choice-Duke-Nukem-Forever
Then the thread about cancelled games was bumped: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401655
And I made an incredibly witty reference to 3D Realms constantly changing engines and tech during development in the Black Mesa thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23106245&postcount=71

And now this? Clearly there are powerful forces at work here. Always bet on the Duke, indeed.

ArjanN

electroshockwave said:
This can't all be a coincidence. First the Zero Punctuation DNF review was shown again as it won the viewer's choice award: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1968-Viewers-Choice-Duke-Nukem-Forever
Then the thread about cancelled games was bumped: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401655
And I made an incredibly witty reference to 3D Realms constantly changing engines and tech during development in the Black Mesa thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23106245&postcount=71

And now this? Clearly there are powerful forces at work here. Always bet on the Duke, indeed.

I think the gearbox PAX rumor has more to do with it...

Spoo

I knew this would come up again (because it's true), so allow me to just fill in blanks people might have. What follows is strictly evidence; nothing more, nothing less:

1) The original rumor posted by Kotaku: Here.

2) Soon after, re-confirmed by those at VG247: Here

On this second link, the first poster says: "This is true, by the way." -- by one Patrick Garratt.

3) On the Duke4.Net boards, we get this chunk, from Charlie Wiederhold -- a previous 3DR employee, who moved on to Infinity Ward (now thought to be at Respawn):

I prefer to think of it like a grizzled old soldier wishing his fellow soldiers luck before watching them go off to a war where most of them aren't going to make it back in one piece. But the ones who do will be better for it.

We're not done yet. Let's move on to this answer made by a Shacknews journalist after being asked about Duke Nukem Forever on "formspring" concerning the status of the game:

Hold up, let me call Randy Pitchford real quick...

Of course, 2KGames, DNF's publisher, isn't afraid to mention they have something up their sleeve:

2K Games is unveiling something big at PAX this year – and we want to share it with everyone – whether or not you are going to the show. We’ll be streaming the first day of PAX live from our booth and giving you exclusive access to everything we’re doing – and it’s going to be AWESOME. RSVP for the show now – and see you at 10 AM on Friday, September 3rd – live from PAX!

Now, finally, George Broussard has let us know not all is lost with this beautiful image:

pigs-fly.jpg

So, based off all of this information, how can anyone possibly deny what we will see at PAX? Seriously.

Always bet on Duke.

iammeiam

Not an FPS fan, but I would totally purchase a CE of this if it included a making-of DVD (or, you know, 10.)

Although, I have no idea what gaming will use as the vaporware gold-standard if this game ever does materialize.

StuBurns

Banned
iammeiam said:
Not an FPS fan, but I would totally purchase a CE of this if it included a making-of DVD (or, you know, 10.)

Although, I have no idea what gaming will use as the vaporware gold-standard if this game ever does materialize.
Huxley

Zeliard

Spoo said:
So, based off all of this information, how can anyone possibly deny what we will see at PAX? Seriously.

Always bet on Duke.

VG247 said:
However, Gearbox president Randy Pitchford loosened his lips just long enough to hint that more news might be on the way at PAX, which convenes at the beginning of September.

Word.

Spoo

Just to make sure nobody has any doubts, I'll add another bit of information. George Broussard has his own formspring, and a fan asked:

Out of respect, I won't ask for details. But I simply want to know, are you feeling happy/sad/ecstatic/optimistic, considering that the court case is now over with?

Broussard replied with:

It's bittersweet. We went though a lot that we didn't have to because of a publisher that was all too willing to use their legal team as a weapon.

Had we not crafted a creative solution to the suit, it could have drug on and on and things could have stayed in limbo much longer than they were and it could have been a lose-lose-lose situation for us, Take 2 and the fans.

The emphasis added is my own, but does not change what was said. Get ready folks, because soon, it's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum and... well, I think you know.

Vestal

Gold Member
Metalmurphy said:
Any quotes involving "when pigs fly" from him?

Couple of years ago.....
1UP: Wait, wait. You guys are working on Duke Forever?

GB: [Laughs] And ever and ever.

1UP: And when's that due out again?

GB: [Laughs] I think it'll be out when pigs fly.

StuBurns

Banned
Pigs fly is also probably a reference to pig cops.

Regardless, he has nothing other than DNF coming that anyone could care about, and we basically know it's Gearbox. No alarms and no surprises.

Spoo

StuBurns said:
Pigs fly is also probably a reference to pig cops.

Wrong. Pigs Fly is a reference to the 1up interview with Broussard a year or so ago in which he jokingly said "Duke Nukem Forever will be out when pigs fly."

Perhaps, based on the information I posted above, and just pure obviousness, that time is really fawkin' nigh, yeah?

The drama continues! I couldn't care less about Duke Nukem Forever at this point, but I'm glad to have something to laugh about when it inevitably gets delayed, AGAIN, then brought back from development death, AGAIN, and the cycle repeat itself again, and again, and again, and again.

StuBurns

Banned
Spoo said:
Wrong. Pigs Fly is a reference to the 1up interview with Broussard a year or so ago in which he jokingly said "Duke Nukem Forever will be out when pigs fly."

Perhaps, based on the information I posted above, and just pure obviousness, that time is really fawkin' nigh, yeah?
I said 'also', and 'probably'. Prove that it's not and I am wrong, speculate and state as fact and you're an idiot.

gdt

Zeliard said:
Screw the hammered-to-death Internet meme, we get an actual game now.

We get lots of those, and I'm thinking most of those (at least stuff that actually looks good) will be better than this game.

I'd rather have the joke, thank you :p.

After all, there is only one DNF by 3D Realms. Well, was.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
gdt5016 said:
Gearbox spoiled the joke by actually stepping up and working on the title :/.

You think they're incapable of endlessly delaying titles with a slim chance of actually coming out?

*coughAliensColonialMarinescough*

StuBurns

Banned
ZealousD said:
You think they're incapable of endlessly delaying titles with a slim chance of actually coming out?

I don't know, but I imagine this was "get it working and all connected, you have a year, it's costs us a fuckton" style situation.

gdt

ZealousD said:

There're not as profiecient at it as 3DRealms though.

Gearbox are noobs in that realm (pun not, well yeah, intended).

I'd rather have 3DRealms on the case.

Spoo

StuBurns said:
I said 'also', and 'probably'. Prove that it's not and I am wrong, speculate and state as fact and you're an idiot.

Sorry, I didn't see the "also" and "probably" in your post :\ But anyway, keep your eyes on Gearbox stuff at PAX; if you have even a passing interest in DNF, there will be a surprise there I'm willing to bet ;)

StuBurns

Banned
Spoo said:
Sorry, I didn't see the "also" and "probably" in your post :\ But anyway, keep your eyes on Gearbox stuff at PAX; if you have even a passing interest in DNF, there will be a surprise there I'm willing to bet ;)
I don't doubt it at all.

Zeliard

gdt5016 said:
We get lots of those

We get lots of games like Duke?

No. We get, in fact, virtually no games like that. This is why this game would be a breath of fresh air - air tinged with the scent of bubble gum, cigar smoke and alien intestines. It's a vast improvement over what goes for AAA blockbuster FPS these days, most of which constitute console gutter trash like Resistance.

StuBurns

Banned
Zeliard said:

No. We get, in fact, virtually no games like that. This is why this game would be a breath of fresh air - air tinged with the scent of bubble gum, cigar smoke and alien blood. It's a vast improvement over what goes for AAA blockbuster FPS these days, most of which constitute console gutter trash like Resistance.
I don't get why people think this will be a good game though. Yeah, Resistance is garbage, as are virtually all console shooters, but I see no reason this will be a good game. I also see no indication the ironic commentary has progressed with the times. Both things could happen, it could be a good game, and it could contain progressive comedy, I just think there is nothing to suggest either.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Zeliard said:

No. We get, in fact, virtually no games like that. This is why this game would be a breath of fresh air - air tinged with the scent of bubble gum, cigar smoke and alien intestines. It's a vast improvement over what goes for AAA blockbuster FPS these days, most of which constitute console gutter trash like Resistance.
What are you talking about? It's an FPS about a dude with an attitude that shoots aliens with big guns. I don't get where all the good faith comes from.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Damn, this topic inspired me to fire up Grabbag and play XXX Stacy on Come Get Some difficulty. Just finished. Duke Nukem 3D is an amazing game.

Zek said:
What are you talking about? It's an FPS about a dude with an attitude that shoots aliens with big guns. I don't get where all the good faith comes from.

It's also an FPS with the best level design ever, some of the most inventive weapons ever, and some of the best music ever.

Colocho

Banned
If it ain't 3D Realms making it, then it isn't Duke Nukem: Forever, it's just a random shooter that happens to have the same name.

Not that I think 3D Realms are gods or anything, is just that it clearly won't be the game that's been in development for 12 years.

gdt

I remember when that trailer came out 2/3 years ago :lol .

"Game is almost done, next year folks!"

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Sub_Level said:
It's also an FPS with the best level design ever, some of the most inventive weapons ever, and some of the best music ever.
We're talking about Duke Nukem Forever here - you know, the game that's been in development hell for 13 years and no one has ever really seen other than a few vague teasers?

StuBurns

Banned
Zek said:
We're talking about Duke Nukem Forever here - you know, the game that's been in development hell for 13 years and no one has ever really seen other than a few vague teasers?
That's the thing, DN3D was incredible, it still is very good, that doesn't in any way indicate that this game will be good.

Tomasooie

Colocho said:
If it ain't 3D Realms making it, then it isn't Duke Nukem: Forever, it's just a random shooter that happens to have the same name.

Not that I think 3D Realms are gods or anything, is just that it clearly won't be the game that's been in development for 12 years.
Gearbox are wrapping up all of the work that 3D Realms have done. They haven't started over or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom