• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fresh from George Broussard's twitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I will forever call this industry stupid if there isn't a product called 'Duke Nukem Forever' released between now and the end of next year. Every rumor or tidbit about this game is still posted everywhere on the internet and you can bet that lots and lots of gamers want to see what all the fuzz is about and would gladly pay for it.
I agree, and it will happen.

StuBurns

Banned
Corto said:
And then everyone else will be: "How could we let this happen? How could we bet on anything else but the Duke? How?"
It's going to be the most bittersweet release ever.

The parallels between this and Chinese Democracy are kind of scary.

Corto

StuBurns said:
It's going to be the most bittersweet release ever.

The parallels between this and Chinese Democracy are kind of scary.

I bought and listen to Chinese Democracy on nostalgy alone so your analogy is spot on, I sincerely hope though that DNF is a better game than Chinese Democracy is a music album.:D

I never completely gave up... it did look bad after they had to let the team go in May '09, but I never completely gave up.

I think it's real, I really do. I mean, yes, maybe it isn't. It's certainly possible. But as a longtime Apogee/3D Realms fan, I think it is real. It's really sad how Take Two almost killed off the game when it was so close to completion, and because of the developer switch I don't know if this game will be quite as good as it would have been (I believe the stories that it was finally on track), but still... I'm sure it will be good, and it'll actually release, it seems! :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
my friend still has a preorder slip at gamestop from sometime in 1998

if they don't honor it, i imagine there will be magazine racks knocked over aplenty

atomsk said:
my friend still has a preorder slip at gamestop from sometime in 1998

if they don't honor it, i imagine there will be magazine racks knocked over aplenty

Wow, that's amazing. Could be worth money someday. :lol

A Black Falcon said:
I never completely gave up... it did look bad after they had to let the team go in May '09, but I never completely gave up.

I think it's real, I really do. I mean, yes, maybe it isn't. It's certainly possible. But as a longtime Apogee/3D Realms fan, I think it is real. It's really sad how Take Two almost killed off the game when it was so close to completion, and because of the developer switch I don't know if this game will be quite as good as it would have been (I believe the stories that it was finally on track), but still... I'm sure it will be good, and it'll actually release, it seems! :)
Really? It is not like they had the best track record on that.

Genesis Knight said:
Imagine if they pulled a Sega Saturn and went up to the front of the PAX presentation and said "Duke Nukem Forever. $59.99, in stores NOW!"

Internetz would vaporize.

Coincidentally, I was joking about this today with my store's Nintendo rep, using the exact same example you provided.

speculawyer said:
Really? It is not like they had the best track record on that.

True, but supposedly the ('07-'09 version of the game) team they had to fire when Take Two refused to give them enough to finish it actually was on track and was resisting Broussard's attempts to keep adding stuff, for the first time in the history of the project...

StuBurns

Banned
I'm wondering how complete DNF was when the studio closed. I've been poking around the net, there is a fair amount of geometry that was at PS360 standard. Gameplay wise it looks perfectly ready to ship. It needed some polish for sure, but I don't find it hard to believe they had a decent, brief single player campaign that could have shipped without years of work. They were clearly getting somewhere. It's difficult to see when (and I guess even if at this point) the project went to Gearbox. They took on some 3DR staff, and apparently Scott Miller claimed production of DNF never stopped, it just wasn't internal after the staff were let go. But considering the TT suit, it seems odd it would have moved to Gearbox any earlier than May of this year, but I (and I'm sure much of GAF) had heard Gearbox were on the project quite a while back.

If TTs rights to publish were in debate, I can't see who would have paid for DNFs production, unless Gearbox took the job on spec with TTs assurance of funding if/when they won the suit.

Someone really needs to write a book about this development.

StuBurns said:
I'm wondering how complete DNF was when the studio closed. I've been poking around the net, there is a fair amount of geometry that was at PS360 standard. Gameplay wise it looks perfectly ready to ship. It needed some polish for sure, but I don't find it hard to believe they had a decent, brief single player campaign that could have shipped without years of work. They were clearly getting somewhere. It's difficult to see when (and I guess even if at this point) the project went to Gearbox. They took on some 3DR staff, and apparently Scott Miller claimed production of DNF never stopped, it just wasn't internal after the staff were let go. But considering the TT suit, it seems odd it would have moved to Gearbox any earlier than May of this year, but I (and I'm sure much of GAF) had heard Gearbox were on the project quite a while back.

If TTs rights to publish were in debate, I can't see who would have paid for DNFs production, unless Gearbox took the job on spec with TTs assurance of funding if/when they won the suit.

Someone really needs to write a book about this development.

Raising the bar: The making of Duke Nukem Forever

charsace

RiccochetJ said:
There it is! I was waiting for that! Mr. Broussard, you are now in the same area as Peter Molyneux where if you are interviewed, tweeted, mentioned, or really anything; someone somewhere thinks you should shut the fuck up.

Congrats!

Oh, please be DNF
He is worse that Moly who at least releases games. All Broubitch did was talk shit and ban you from his boards when you asked for new info.

Spoo

For those curious concerning DNF's tech:

It is a HIGHLY modified version of Unreal 2.X technology. The ripped out EVERYTHING but Unreal Ed and Unreal Script. That means the Physics, Renderer, Lighting Model... everything, has been replaced.

You may as well consider it an entirely custom engine, but if you wish to place it strictly with it's origins, it is at U2.X. Anyone who says otherwise is completely mistaken.

scitek

Spoo said:
For those curious concerning DNF's tech:

It is a HIGHLY modified version of Unreal 2.X technology. The ripped out EVERYTHING but Unreal Ed and Unreal Script. That means the Physics, Renderer, Lighting Model... everything, has been replaced.

You may as well consider it an entirely custom engine, but if you wish to place it strictly with it's origins, it is at U2.X. Anyone who says otherwise is completely mistaken.

Isn't that the same as Bioshock 1 and 2? The engine can look really good when used properly.

charsace said:
He is worse that Moly who at least releases games. All Broubitch did was talk shit and ban you from his boards when you asked for new info.

smh

You had a perfectly good opportunity to invent the name Brou-tard

MNC

Are there more games of "modern day" settings, where global destruction is the story? Not talking about futuristic shooters.
I dunno, I just get a really awesome vibe from DNF footage that no other game can replicates and no, not talking about lol DNForever and ever or whatever lame delay joke you can come up with. It's just.... Wow. :D

KAP151

YouAre-YouCanDoIt1.jpg

DaBuddaDa

St Jon really dropped the ball with his Valve/DotA tweet the other week. Now this tweet comes out, hyper specific and enthusiastic. He seems to be compensating hard. I smell a bold face lie.

Stallion Free said:
It's going to be excellent. Some of us still appreciate shooters with a sense of humor.

I like a sense of humour too, but if the single player is shit, and the multiplayer is shit. . . I won't like the game. I don't have any sort of nostalgia for Duke Dukem really, so I'm looking at this purely from an outsiders point of view.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Galvanise_ said:
I don't have any sort of nostalgia for Duke Dukem really, so I'm looking at this purely from an outsiders point of view.
Well a lot of us do. And the gameplay they showed certainly didn't look like shit.

StuBurns

Banned
DN3D was considerably better than any shooter made at the time, massively superior to Doom, Dark Forces, Marathon etc. That doesn't mean this will be great of course, but considering how poor the standard of shooters are on consoles, I can't imagine it not at least being middling.

Next year has two announced shooters I think could be good, Crysis 2 and Rage, Rage could easily be lame, most of id's games are I think, and Crysis 2 on consoles looks a mess, could end up being crap. I gather HL2EP3 and whatever Bungie is doing won't ship next year. The gap between something like MW2 and Half-Life 2 is a gulf so large that it's an embarrassment.

I do think there's a chance DNF's comedy will completely fail. The parody is kind of dead, people don't make those movies anymore for the most part, they certainly aren't the big films. Maybe they could do something fresh, Duke is made governor of a state, gets pulled back into war when aliens invade or whatever, but if they play it like they did in DN3D, I think that aspect will suck.

soqquatto

even if DNF will come out in the end, no matter how good or how fun, it will be another game in the "games that last 3 months" pile, at best.

Philthy

im totally preordering this

i dont care if it never ships, at least 20 years from now ill be able to post a picture of the receipt in a thread "yeah, I remember when it was supposed to come out again nearly 20 years later and it still didnt come out".

FLEABttn

Banned
cuevas said:
They ruined halo PC.

No, they didn't. Their port was incredibly solid and entirely shits all over the port job MS gave Halo 2.

Most people I personally knew who said that Halo PC was a travesty had the FX series of cards while trying to run Halo PC with dx9 shaders. Instead of blaming their shitty card, they blamed Gearbox.

Frankly that game was buttery smooth for me and I was running an AMD 2100+ with 512 MB of RAM with a 256 MB 9700 pro.

I hope the DNF rumors are true as I think the second I start playing DNF, I'll feel 10 again.

Rich!

Just under three hours guys.

Oh my god. In three hours we could have a thread on here titled like this:

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER - 7th DECEMBER 2010! ALWAYS BET ON DUKE!

That release date is a guess, obviously. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom