• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freshii only holdout in law that forces food chains to share calories on menu

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/health/freshii-calories-ontario-law-1.4100200

A popular restaurant chain that markets itself as a healthy alternative to fast food does not post calories on its menu boards, flouting Ontario law.

Be it pizza, cake or quinoa salad, food service chains with more than 20 locations in Ontario must post the number of calories in the items they're selling.

In Toronto, that's approximately 3,000 restaurants and fast food joints. Local health inspection teams have just begun making their way through that list, and they've found a holdout.

"We are seeing compliance almost everywhere we go. Almost, except one chain that we are having a challenge with, that the province is aware of," says Sylvanus Thompson, associate director of Toronto public health.

The chain markets itself as "healthy" fast food, offering a range of soups, salads, wraps and bowls. Nutritional information for its food products, including calories, is posted on the company's website. It also states Freshii's motto: "Count Nutrients, Not Calories."

Freshii's website states, "Not all calories are created equal. Some calories are healing, some are harming."

There are stiff fines for not complying with Ontario's menu labelling legislation:

Individuals can be fined up to $1,000 a day for breaking the law.
Corporations can be fined up to $10,000 a day for non-compliance.
One of Freshii's 5 Guiding Principles listed on its website states: "Numbers rule. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it."

Schwartz agrees, and hopes Freshii will extend the same philosophy to informing its customers when they're standing in line.

What does GAF think? Do calories matter, should Freshii share their calorie info?

I think of course they should. I've actually been on a fitness kick these last couple of months, and counting calories combined with exercise has seen me in the best shape of my life. It's actually insane how simple losing weight can be if you can manage to maintain a caloric defecit - and considering how we have more problems with people overconsuming calories than we do people being malnourished in Canada, it's pretty clear where our priorities should be.

Do other places have calories on menus? How do you like it? It's helped me a ton - some things I used to eat in one sitting in restaurants would exceed my caloric intake in a day right now.

Listing calories has no negatives, only positives. And Freshii with its "not all calories are created equal" sound like complete idiots whose food I wouldn't trust. Not that I'd ever consider eating at a place called 'Freshii' anyway.

Krakatoa

Calories are calories, It doesn't matter if you eat a donut at 1000 calories, or a steak meal for the same.

Brinbe

hahaha, what the fuck. I never realized that (probably because I never go there). But that's actually fucking hilarious! They prob omit it because their customers would probably be shocked at how many calories are in those vegan whatever they're munching down.

And yes, it's a good and helpful thing to have and pretty much every major place I've seen in the city has adopted it.

dgdas9

Listing calories has no negatives, only positives. And Freshii with its "not all calories are the same" sound like complete idiots whose food I wouldn't trust. Not that I'd ever consider eating at a place called 'Freshii' anyway.

No, it does, it's called the cost of compliance. Every regulation has hidden effects that distort the market. Fortunately, posting calories after 20 locations seems reasonable enough, and of course, it's always better for the consumer. It just irks me when people don't realise that all regulations are a trade-off.

EDIT: Also, I've seen somewhere else that most laws don't really have a mechanism to ensure calorie counts are correct. Obviously, if they're not, it'd be better if they weren't there at all, so, we should properly oversee how reliable this information is.

Whether or not some calories are "better" than others, total calories per day matter and I doubt that this company is serving meals advertised as hitting all of your daily requirements. That means that any menu item will only account for some of my daily needs and under the current rules, I deserve that information. It is disingenuous to try to push that you can magically eat an over abundance of healing calories and be better off than either running a deficit or eating a maintenance level.

I am assuming that they don't want their 600 calorie menu item compared to a slice of pizza, and while I agree that you may get more benefits from certain food types, in the end 600 calories in is 600 calories out of your budget.

So is everyone about to find out their "healthy" salad actually had 1000 calories now?

It's just lettuce, spinach, chicken, avocado, hard boiled egg, nuts, apple slices, crunchy noodles, all served in a tortilla shell bowl with rich, creamy dressing.

I THOUGHT IT WAS DIET FOOD!

Moosichu

No, it does, it's called the cost of compliance. Every regulation has hidden effects that distort the market. Fortunately, posting calories after 20 locations seems reasonable enough, and of course, it's always better for the consumer. It just irks me when people don't realise that all regulations are a trade-off.

I would argue that people complain a lot about the costs of compliance of regulations without appreciating the benefits they bring then vice versa. National Governments have been elected on the promise of "cutting regulations" without even being able to name a single one that would be worth cutting!

When I see a chain that markets itself as fresh and healthy be extremely reluctant to post it's foods caloric count I put my hand to my chin and tilt my head a little.

But I'm sure healing calories is a totally medical sound term and Tom Brady's health guru would agree!

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Companies like this should be complying with the law and informing customers as best they can.

Customers should also be expected to know that drenching a salad with bacon, dressings, and other traditionally calorie-heavy items does not necessarily make it healthy.

Stop being stupid, people.

notsol337

marked forever
I work for a company that does Digital Menu Boards, and all of our clients have caloric counts on their menu boards.

We have some fairly large contracts, and I can't think of any that sell food that don't have the calories displayed on the boards.

Zackat

Calories should be posted for everything. I modify what I buy due to this regularly now. Even though I knew something was a lot of calories before this change, seeing it as you buy/order something is different altogether.

KorrZ

When I see a chain that markets itself as fresh and healthy be extremely reluctant to post it's nutrition information I put my hand to my chin and tilt my head a little.

But I'm sure healing calories is a totally medical sound term and Tom Brady's health guru would agree!

That's my reaction as well. Not that there are any of this chain in the city where I live, but I'd definitely be suspicious given their claims of healthy food.

This law has only been a pure benefit as far as I'm concerned.

I noticed for the first time here that Little Caesar's put up it's calorie information.
Not that I didn't know but just seeing the actual number sent me away.

Jonnax

Calories should be posted for everything. I modify what I buy due to this regularly now. Even though I knew something was a lot of calories before this change, seeing it as you buy/order something is different altogether.

Yeah. I don't mind having the occasional McDonalds because it ain't as bad is it looks.

But it does make me wonder if fast food companies knowing that their customers know their food's calorific value decided to reduce calories. Essentially a win-win.

I just remembered there is one of these on my campus in Mass.

I always assumed the wraps were around 700 or so calories.

It's also like $10 for one as well, so it's pretty much a rip-off with how cheap it is to make a fucking chicken wrap with dried out nobs of shit.

gcubed

Yeah. I don't mind having the occasional McDonalds because it ain't as bad is it looks.

But it does make me wonder if fast food companies knowing that their customers know their food's calorific value decided to reduce calories. Essentially a win-win.

It did. There was a story about it when this happened in the US. Once they were displayed a lot of places adjusted ingredients and portion​ sizes to lower calorie counts

Flux

I'm guessing there's a huge amount of sugar that they don't want people to know about. For a supposed healthy fast food chain, they must make compromises to get flavour and retain customers.

Alrus

Well while it's true that nutrient breakdown would be even better, total calories intake per day still matters and is a valuable information to share. I don't see why they should be exempt from doing it.

Here is their menu with calories and other nutrients listed. Seeing that they have several wraps, burritos, and bowls going over 700 calories each, it seems clear why they are holding out on displaying the calorie counts in the restaurants.

This right here. My wife and I loved going to freshii when we were going to her OBGYN appointments in downtown Chicago when she was pregnant, but we weren't watching calories at that point. They opened one up in my neighborhood and was amazed that the not particularly filling veggie wrap was near 900 calories.

LakeEarth

There's one in my local mall, but I haven't eaten there due to the expense ($9-10 for just the wrap).

I welcome the calories being on the menu. While at McDonalds, my friend was surprised that a sausage McMuffin was so much higher compared to the Ham/Bacon varieties of the same sandwich.

DonShula

Here is their menu with calories and other nutrients listed. Seeing that they have several wraps, burritos, and bowls going over 700 calories each, it seems clear why they are holding out on displaying the calorie counts in the restaurants.

Half of their menu items have more calories than a Big Mac.

They have a 480 calorie olive oil dressing.

And a 460 calorie banana nut smoothie that a lot of people no doubt add to their meal thinking it's nowhere nearly that many calories.

So yeah. They scared.

Kumquat

At the end of the day it is still calories in versus calories out. The point is to maximize nutrition while minimizing calories by picking nutrient dense foods.

It can matter what sorts of calories you choose because of the associated nutrients, proteins, etc, but if you are losing weight you must burn more calories than you consume to shed that fat. Calories will always be converted to energy.

And yeah, they scared because they have been running this overpriced racket for years for stuff that isn't as healthy as it appears.

DonShula

Anecdotally, I see it happening myself. I use Fitbit to track my food and its database isn't updated as often as some of the others. I routinely find items in the database that list more calories than the restaurant or vendor now claim on their websites. It may only be a difference of 20-30 calories, but it does seem to be working that way. A lot more restaurants are adding a healthy designation to menu items, and those items are more in line with healthy portions. It's amazing what happens to people's decisions when they get more information.

BigDug13

I mean their refusal to comply should already be a huge red flag to anyone who eats there regularly. "Wait, why is my "healthy" restaurant refusing to tell me about the "health" part of their food?"

DOWN

Banned
Of course they should post them

Their claim that they don't want to scare off people because some calories are good calories is BS. 1000 calories are 1000 calories

I like Freshii salads and wraps, but those things are huge and I know they are way more calories than going to the A&W next door...but there is some truth to the fact that the brown rice, peppers, and avocado have to better for you than a teen burger and fries. Regardless...show me the calories.

Changing the menu info to say "dressings/sauces not included" would probably go a long way.

Good lord at those dressings/sauces. What the hell kind of olive oil is that?

ShyMel

Changing the menu info to say "dressings/sauces not included" would probably go a long way.

Good lord at those dressings/sauces. What the hell kind of olive oil is that?

Yes, when I saw the calories for that I started wondering exactly how much they're giving you. Especially since there are many people out there who due to lack of nutritional knowledge don't realize how dressing and other toppings can make you salad swell up in calories, sodium, and sugar.

I've long maintained that store bought salads are the biggest scams when it comes to trying to eat healthy because the dressing more than makes up for any benefit the greens afford you, calorically. Your average meat on greens dish will be much healthier and much more filling

Dr.Acula

Banned
The main ingredients in the chain's Oaxaca bowl are kale, brown rice, black beans and avocado. Total calories: 640.

"That's a lot of calories for some people when they think they're getting a salad bowl," says Rosie Schwartz, registered dietitian and author in Toronto.

That's less than a third of a 200cal daily intake, for what is usually the biggest or second-biggest meal of the day for most people.

I really like the calorie counts on menus, as a skinny guy, if I ended up at a take-out I was often ordering only like 600-700 cals for a meal, and being active, it probably wasn't enough for me. A lot of places the vegetarian option is surprisingly low, and if you don't get a pop, it's even lower.

There are stiff fines for not complying with Ontario's menu labelling legislation:

Individuals can be fined up to $1,000 a day for breaking the law.
Corporations can be fined up to $10,000 a day for non-compliance

Freshii is gonna try and challenge these fines, this will go on for years. The reaction to calorie counts on menus I think has been positive, and it has definitely changed my habits. I like that the threshold for compliance is 20 spots, getting accurate calorie counts isn't the easiest thing in the world, and it would onerous for restaurants with daily specials, or places that change their menus seasonally.

Top Bottom