• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frog's Theme is the best character theme ever

I totally agree that Frog's theme rules, as well as every other song from Chrono Trigger's OST. Listening to Frog's Theme over-and-over again lead me to making this silly Chrono Trigger parody - "One Froggy Knight"

I also love Shadow's Theme from FFVI. I love the spaghetti western vibe inspired by Ennio Morricone's films.

That much has been clear from your very first post. Whether or not the cover is depicting Arc Impulse or a regular dual tech has zero relevance considering that Marle does not use Fire magic on ANY of her techs in the final game, including Arc Impulse; no matter what Tech the picture depicts, it's obviously from the beta. I mean, as if the cover and beta screenshot showing the same monster and area combination that's not found in the final game wasn't a dead giveaway.

Oh my, you seriously believe that, don't you? You honestly believe Toriyama drew the final US cover for the game before the developers had started sketching the triple tech system. You also believe an illustration of these three characters fighting this boss in the snow, something that never actually happens in the game, was randomly drawn by Toriyama way ahead of time, then stored in a locker (it happens to be the one piece of Chrono Trigger art that wasn't released before the game; I know that because I obsessively followed the game before it was released). Finally, you believe that one of the very first and very few preliminary beta screenshots, taken and released months if not years before that cover, just happened to perfectly match that exact, final-game nonexistent composition by chance.

Jesus, the self-delusional lengths some people will go to avoid being proven wrong in a message board.

It's Chrono in the Japanese version. It was shortened for the western release as names could only be 5 letters long.
Weltall dropping that knowledge. Kaboom!

b2XCJ1v.gif

I always wondered why they cut out the intro from the in-game version, it's so good
Mitsuda actually answered this question once:
https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Frog's_Theme.html
クロノ・トリガー未収録曲[歌う山]ですが、あの曲がゲームの中に入っていないのがとても残念です。多分あの曲はク○ノが死んだ後のイベント死の山でしたっけか? ク○ノを復活させる為の山に挿入予定だったのでしょ? なんで没になったのでしょうか? とても良い曲なのに (生楽器生声で一度聞いてみたい)。それと[カエルのテーマ]もゲームでは前奏が入っていなくてCDでは入っている。どうしてゲームでは前奏を入れるのをやめてCDでは、入っているのでしょうか?

(光田本人より)あの曲を使うダンジョンがあったのですが、別にそのダンジョンが無くてもゲームの進行上何も問題ないということで、カットされたのです。なので、曲も必然的にカットされました(泣)。カエルのテーマについては前奏が入っていない方がイベント的に盛り上がる、ということで途中から始まりますが、CDではせっかくですので前奏から入れておきました。

Fan question: About the not-yet-recorded Chrono Trigger song "Singing Mountain", it's really too bad it didn't make it into the game. Was the song for an event at Death Mountain after Crono dies? Was it planned to insert the song when going to the mountain to revive Crono? Why was it rejected? It's a very good song (I'd really love to hear it with live instruments and vocals). Also, the prelude to Frog's Theme wasn't included, but it was on the CD. Why was it in the CD, but not in the game?

Mitsuda: There was a dungeon where that song was used, but because the dungeon didn't contain much and there were no problems or anything that advanced the game, it was cut. So inevitably the song was cut with it (*sniffle*). About Frog's Theme, because the prelude was meant to rise up during an event, the song starts out partway through, but since we took great pains with the CD it started from the prelude there.

By page 5 im sure someone already posted Chrono Symphonic

But this is f*** amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JQxH77NWEQ

http://chrono.ocremix.org

There are some real standout pieces in this album for sure, but like just about all of OCR's album collabs it reeks of album by committee. Almost every single piece is striving for the epic overblown heroic sound and it really drags by the end of it, same thing happened with the FF6 album. It's precisely why I think their DKC2 remix album remains their best, there was so much wonderful experimentation that led to a nice variety from one song to the next.

There are some real standout pieces in this album for sure, but like just about all of OCR's album collabs it reeks of album by committee. Almost every single piece is striving for the epic overblown heroic sound and it really drags by the end of it, same thing happened with the FF6 album. It's precisely why I think their DKC2 remix album remains their best, there was so much wonderful experimentation that led to a nice variety from one song to the next.

I pretty much agree with all of that, especially on the Chrono case.

But i posted more for the opening song, later that i realized that i posted the whole album hehe

On this remix i enjoyed a bunch of tracks but i found some to be very "heroic and over the top" just to try to stand out from the others indeed

antitrop

I'm a Cid from FFVII kind of guy, that shit gets me emotional in a certain kind of way. It's appropriately poignant, yet ultimately triumphant and uplifting. Uematsu's masterpiece.

Frog second, though, yeah.

FFVII and CT are my two favorite games ever made, so it is fitting.

Not saying it's bad, but Frog's theme isn't even the best character theme in Chrono Trigger.

And then once you get into Chrono Cross's OST it loses even more of it's muster... It's a good song but damn if the Chrono series doesn't have incredible music (even Radical Dreamers had some tastey jams)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
OCRemix did a pretty great "Robo Theme with Lyrics", too...my favorite OCRemix song, probably, next to Ska Buffet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW81g_cQE0w

That's listed as Fanfare 1 on the first OST that comes up on YT, oddly enough. Not sure which is right.

I think it's the same situation as how "Linus and Lucy" from the Charlie Brown Christmas special became the de facto Charlie Brown themesong, even though it's specifically a character theme.

It started out as Lucca's theme, but she doesn't really get a lot of moments on her own to showcase that fact, so everyone now knows it as the Fanfare 1. Chrono Cross pretty much made that official using it as the clear-battle theme.

Swamped

Banned

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Pokemon's started doing more "character themes" in the main games, which have all been pretty great...Ghetsis' is definately one of my favorites...

Of course, the GOAT Pokemon Character Theme was from a spin-off...

Miror B.

The sequel had an equally catchy theme as well for him, but more like funk than salsa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciEHtGpSviE

I miss Miror B. The Orre series had some fun ideas, shame it'll never be visited again likely.

Arcayne

Could be that I abso-fucking-lutely love Chrono Trigger, but every character's theme is a contender for best OST ever. The whole game is just beautiful.

Jathaine

Yeah, we can reach a truce over Murasaki's theme, which is definitely high tier. Though I'd rank it slightly lower than:

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus - Ribbon of Sorrow (Yagyu's theme)

I had to hear Yagyu's theme a few times before I could appreciate it, I didn't really like it at all at first. Ikaruga is the only Hanzo girl that had a theme I clicked with from the start and its still my favorite out of theirs.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus - Hien's Caliber

Top Bottom