• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frog's Theme is the best character theme ever

bounchfx

i just want to sit for a second and appreciate just how much fucking awesome game music there is/was. I don't have many new favorites since the ps1 era but luckily there's more than enough from then and before to keep me occupied. It's certainly hard to decide on a best character theme when there's SO MANY GOOD ONES OMG

Falk

that puzzling face
Stumbling on this video five minutes ago reminded me just how good all the character themes in the XIII trilogy are, by Hamauzu or otherwise.

Especially when their arrangements double as battle and/or location music.

Onionkid

Guile is pretty iconic, I think you have to consider Mega Man robot master themes and Wily stages, yada yada. But yes, this is pretty much correct. The entire soundtrack is incredible of course, but this one. Oh lawdy.

Edit: The mentions of FF themes are also fantastic. Especially anyone who says Terra or Celes!

Psxphile

The best part about Frog's Theme is when you downloaded the mp3 for the first time on your 28.8k modem from some geocities site and discovered there was a whole part of the song that's never heard in the game.

Best part? Certainly you mean worst part!

"You mean I could have been listening to this instead!? How do I unlock the full version?"

How about finding out that Lavos' theme has this whole other part to the song that sometimes isn't played in-game (some weird glitch thing)? I didn't even know about it until the 3rd or 4th playthrough... seems like accessing the party swap screen will kill the second part from being played during the long boss rush battle before the real Lavos fight. I don't recall if that was fixed in the DS version.

The Adder

Banned
Auron's Theme still the best in my mind.

Probably the best thing to come out of FFX, IMO.

Also, for some reason, I always felt that Auron's theme is a direct descendant of Amarant's theme.

Not that they sound similar, but they're both synthy tunes with a constant and unchanging drum beat and bassline throughout and they're structured similarly (except Auron's theme has the measure count for the intro doubled and the main part plays twice before switching to the bridge. Basically it's like a sandwich being built with 2 slices of turkey, a slice of cheese, and then another slice of turkey instead of turkey, cheese, turkey).

my-emotions.gif

Ants

I'm gonna be honest, Frog's Theme as a song really does not rank up all that high for me. I think people are unable to separate the character from the theme, and because Frog is far and away the only character with any real development (you could argue Magus, but, eh), people are automatically ready to give more props to his theme than it truly deserves.

Not even the best character theme from its series. Lucca all the way!

But really, they're all amazing. Not a single track is bad in the Chrono series. Mitsuda best composer.

Vorpal

I still listen to the Secret of Evermore soundtrack pretty regularly, especially when I want to focus on work. Jeremy Soule does a great job creating a sense of atmosphere with his character themes. And they're all so low-key, which can be a really nice change of pace sometimes.

Also, there are so many great picks in this thread. Holy crap.

Lufia II - The Strongest Man: http://youtu.be/ENdkOEm-k3o

My favorite is probably Locke's, and a few of the CT themes are runners up, but I also really like Dekar's theme.

This is the very first theme that came to mind for me. My brain is still trained to know that when Dekar's theme starts playing something awesome is about to happen

Oh consarnit GAF, I thought you loved Adol! Theme of Adol time—

Originals:

Ys I PC-88 (Koshiro's prototype)
Ys III X68000 (Ishikawa finishes it up)
Ys IV: Dawn of Ys PCE Redbook (This version's the extended Perfect Collection track, get ready for dat Yonemitsu)
Ys V (It's even on the Super Famicom)

Arrangements:

Ys I & II PCE (Yonemitsu's first take, melody's rearranged somewhat)
Ys III Super Arrange (Hiroyuki Namba adds some funky rock to it)
Ys IV: Memories/Foliage Ocean in Celceta (Theme of Adol 2012, a music box rendition based on Dawn of Ys)
Ys V Orchestra (Nice and slow build-up with lower voices for the melody now, not a lullaby though)

I'm aware there's a few more, but these stick out for me.

7threst

Was there ever a explanation on how they screwed up the box art?

Arguably, they actually didn't.

It's the triple tech!

He's referring to the fact that Marle is using fire magic, when in game her magic is ice only. But, guess what? There IS an explanation for the cover. Behold!

chrono-trigger-beta-screen.png

I'm gonna be honest, Frog's Theme as a song really does not rank up all that high for me. I think people are unable to separate the character from the theme, and because Frog is far and away the only character with any real development (you could argue Magus, but, eh), people are automatically ready to give more props to his theme than it truly deserves.

No, I was blown away by his theme the first time I heard it in 1995, before getting to name his character; it's that fucking amazing. But it's OK; not everyone can have good taste, that'd be boring. ;)

88random

Good choice. But really, everything from Chrono Trigger is the GOAT material. Some themes from FF VI are great, but nothing can touch CT in my eyes.

I love how "Majestic" the song sounds and feels.

Great character too. Reminds me that I need to download this track for Theatrerhythm!

Top Bottom