• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software says a little more about their new games [UP: More on Souls-like game]

OVDRobo

I hope the weird game is a rhythm game. I doubt it, but it's about as far as I can imagine from From Software's usual output and the market is lacking in good rhythm games.

Otherwise, I'm glad a new Armored Core is confirmed. With all of the extra budget they've likely got from making all those Souls games combined with the popularity boost from Soul fans buying it because it's new content from From, the series might finally get the level of quality and recognition it deserves.

I'd like it to be more like the 4 series personally due to the "anime fast" battles, though earlier games were great in their more grounded approach, too.

Walpurgis

Banned
I hope the new Souls game switches up the mythology to be based off of Ancient Egypt. Japanese or Chinese dark fantasy would also be cool.

They said it's not Dark Souls 4, but I suspect it's not Bloodborne 2 either, and instead another "new" IP in the same vein.

I really hope not. I would hate to see the lore and world of Bloodborne only be used for one game. I would LOVE some more Victorian era style stuff from them. BB was just too good.

That being said it almost makes it more special to be left at one game but I can't see them hopping to another new IP with souls type gameplay/mechanics.

martino

But why stop making those type of games when they are reviewing and selling well? It would be a horrible business decision. The games have a big fanbase and a strong cult following. It makes no sense to just abandon those fans. Especially when other developers are making clones of your games in every shape n form.

a good decision for business and gamers would be to stop exclusivity deal.
fuck 30fps FS games (and knowing their polish level and how their engine work with dark souls 3 on pc i doubt ps4p cpu will change that if another exclusivity)

did i miss lot of souls clone (or you are including 2d one) ? i know lord of the fallen and ni-oh (and for ni-oh imo we can't speak of clone imo, they use some mecanics but lot of thing are really different)

Shredderi

I wonder if they have those Sony games in works as well. I mean someone said that they had a deal with sony for 3 games, right?

pablito

But why stop making those type of games when they are reviewing and selling well? It would be a horrible business decision. The games have a big fanbase and a strong cult following. It makes no sense to just abandon those fans. Especially when other developers are making clones of your games in every shape n form.

If they honestly just want to churn out Souls type games, then fine. But if they have other good ideas, I want them to explore them. It sounds like one of them is a Souls type, which is cool. But the weird game I'm expecting is the game Miyazaki mentioned a while back when he said he wanted to make a different type of game. I hope it's actually different and not just Souls reskinned, especially when it seems like another Souls type of game is coming out.

You know people keep saying Bloodborne 2... but you know what would be awesome? A straight up Berserk game from these guys. They clearly like Berserk.

Tuck

I hope the new Souls game switches up the mythology to be based off of Ancient Egypt. Japanese or Chinese dark fantasy would also be cool.

Ni-Oh looks like it'll fill that void pretty well.

I agree though that a Souls game in a new setting would be nice.

spliced

They better get away from that BB/DS3 style and bring back magic, poise and replayability. Hopefully it's not too straightforward as that was kinda one of the problems with DS3.

Will get the Souls game day 1

Hopefully I'll be all over the weird game

Not sure about Armored Core. I've never played one of them. Played a demo for one back on the PS1 when I was a kid, but didn't really understand what it was about even if it seemed intriguing. Now that From has become the GOAT game studio, I might give it a shot

But first, bring on the DS3 dlc!

Gbraga

Whatever it is that Miyazaki is making, I'm there day one.

Also interested in the dark fantasy thing, if it's a new IP and universe, then why not? Just enough sequels, please.

sublimit

Banned
I just realized that currently no other company can make me as excited for their future projects as From Software can.

I don't know what it is that people are jumping to the conclusion that the new Armored Core title will be VR, but even if that was the case I can't see its use being more than just an evolution of Silent Line's cockpit mode. Which I would be all for, especially if they had it designed in mind with whatever new gameplay systems they come up with. Man, trying to dodge missiles in SL in that mode was way fucking tough, but goddamn do I love any opportunity for immersion in my mecha games.

Also "reboot" sounds like such a weird term to use for Armored Core considering both mechanically and lore wise they've basically started over multiple times on those fronts, just attaching a new number to establish a new generation. So given how long it seems they're working on this since Verdict Day, there's no doubt it's gonna play differently and more than likely it's gonna be set in a new timeline.

Still, I'm excited for when this'll be formerly announced and released. From's mecha output has always been better to me in general compared to the Souls games, and what I wouldn't give to see them start focusing on that again. Just, don't let it be a repeat of 4 and 4A, alright? There are other series besides Armored Core that suits that style. If they want to do fast paced robot action, just call up Bamco and put out a new Another Century's Episode. The world needs another giant robot crossover that isn't a SRPG.

Super happy to hear that it is Armored Core. Now the fans can stop bitching about them never making AC anymore. :p

On another note, I'm glad Miyazaki's game sounds so different from what has come before, a creator as great as him should go out and try lots of different types of games, especially now that he's the joint head of the company.

Dark Fantasy is what they do better than anyone else in the industry, so I'm actually glad they are making another game in that style as well.

Sounds good. Hopefully Miyazaki isn't helming all the projects as a director, want to see some other notable talent in From to get more chances as well.

can you elaborate why ?

For starters, it's been explicitly said that DS3 is the last of the DS series (whether or not it stays true), and the same has never been said for Bloodborne.

BB has a lot of room to grow as a series. I'd be disappointed if it didn't get a trilogy, frankly.

Nice! A souls game, an armored core, and something new. Sucks they're all a few years out, but at least we have DSIII DLC to play.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
2nd game better be Bloodborne!
Their "weird" new IP game is a PSVR title no doubt. And with FROM's technical prowess, each copy will come with 5 throw-up bags. Extra barf bags sold separately.

martino

Didn't Miyazaki go in record to say that they were done with Dark Souls for the foreseeable future? Besides, DS3 was just released.
For starters, it's been explicitly said that DS3 is the last of the DS series (whether or not it stays true), and the same has never been said for Bloodborne.

i missed that.

BB has a lot of room to grow as a series. I'd be disappointed if it didn't get a trilogy, frankly.

i known i'm a minority but i hope not because i'm not really fan of what bloodborne do to the formula and it means meh games(imo) from them with souls formula for the 6 years to come.(would probably still buy and try them)

RRockman

Banned
I guess I'll just sit here and wait for new Amother Century's Episode. Shouldnt be long... right?

d5d11db502d0d15b098fd40568910479.jpg

Caffeine

I think the first game is bloodborne 2. The third game I hope is something unique that hasn't been done before stemming another great style basically having the souls effect.

Top Bottom